Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Linking Koreans with Turks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Linking Koreans with Turks
    Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 16:43

I know it seems like chance or luck, but look how similar both languages are:

Korean/Turk/English

Ane/An ne/Wife

Him/Shim/Power

Maul/Mahale/Village

songarak/garak/finger

abba(bb=p in spanish)/baba/father

dwitgan/ryookan/backyard

gan/khan/king

Grrr..
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 18:00
Yup Yup, Turkish is very similar to Korea...if you are interested in this, you should also look into Dravidian Langueges, also very similar to Korean...in grammar i believe
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 18:52
Arn't they both distant cousins in the Altaic (sp?) family?
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 21:25
Dravidian languadges also have alot in common with ancient Nubian languages oddly enough.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 15:55
Just goes to show we're all related.
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 16:18

Ane/An ne/Wife

In Turkic languages, Ana or Anne means "Mother".

Him/Shim/Power

Shim?  In Turkic, there are several words used for Power, incluiding Kch/Gch and Erk.

Maul/Mahale/Village

Mahalle is Arabic AFAIK and it doesn't mean "Village". Mahalle is the basic unit of towns/cities, it's a bit similar to Roman insulae (or several of them).

songarak/garak/finger

Finger is "Parmak".

abba(bb=p in spanish)/baba/father

Baba isn't Turkic at all, it's borrowed from IE languages I guess. Father is Ata or Qang in Old Turkic.

dwitgan/ryookan/backyard

Ryookan? Never heard that

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 19:42

In Turkic languages, Ana or Anne means "Mother".

I know, Just that I couldn't think the word at that time

And about the rest, I took it from language from that region.  I didn't know whether its actually turkic or not.  Sry.

EDIT:  WAIT, I think I looked "Sumerian Language".    I'll check.

Edited by demon
Grrr..
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 20:26
If the whole sumer thing is true...you'll have evidence for the whole handangoi thing.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 20:36

Originally posted by Cywr

Arn't they both distant cousins in the Altaic (sp?) family?

May be.. Korean language is also linked to Indo-Europen languages. Nevertheless, Korean is considered "isolated" language by most linguists. It doesn't really belong to any language family. So, korean language is an orphant. Sorry, no cousins...

Altaic group includes:
1.Turkic languages
2. Mongolian languages
3. Tungus-Manchurian languages.

In overall there are about 65 languages in Altaic group.
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=709

Edited by Elteber
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 20:37
Korean is linked to Indo European?  how so...I know it's linked to Dravidian, but that's its own language group...Do you mean Persian?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 21:17

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

Korean is linked to Indo European?  how so...I know it's linked to Dravidian, but that's its own language group...Do you mean Persian?

Korean language hypotetically related to the five following language groups/languages:
1. Altaic
2. Dravidian
3. Japanese language
4. Indo-European
5. Austronesian (Polynesian)

I think Korean was linked to Indo-European group generally. I couldn't find anything about specific IE language being somehow related to Korean.

What else we can tell about Korean language?

There are 6 dialects of this language:
1. North-Eastern
2. North-Western
3. Central
4. South-Eastern
5. South Western
6. Dialect of Chejudo Island

Grammatically Korean is somewhat close to Japanese and Altaic languages.

About half of Korean vocabulary is of Chinese origins, even numbers and till "recently" (15th century) alphabet! I guess two thousand years of Chinese influence left such a strong mark on their language.

By the way, Chinese language was considered "cultural" language among koreans. Everything was in Chinese. Korean language itself was considered language of the poor and unfasionable. In 1443, korean king Sejon ordered development of Korean alphabet which was officially introduced in 1446 and called Hangyl and Chosongyl. Amazing how one person can change the fate of the whole nation!

Edited by Elteber
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 01:19
Lol very cool information
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 14:30

Grammatically Korean is somewhat close to Japanese and Altaic languages.

It's because Ancient Korean=Japanese.  I'll put some evidence when I make another thread.

In 1443, korean king Sejon ordered development of Korean alphabet which was officially introduced in 1446 and called Hangyl and Chosongyl.

He altered an ancient Old Choson language called Garimto, adding simpler alphabets to it.  In fact, his family was a group of reserachers of Garimto, and his Father, Yee Sung Ge, was one of them.  That's why when King Sejong came to power, he collected all historic books from Korea and made a sort of like University of books called jiphyonjon.

Korean language itself was considered language of the poor and unfasionable

It was the language of Women and farmers.  They, who couldn't afford to learn at least 1100 commonly used Chinese, were taught to read one of the easiest pronounced languages in the World by the name of Hangul(that's right, no irregular verbs). 

When Korean aristocrafts wanted to mail to their wives, they wrote in hangul.  Becasue it was easy to learn- like 2 hours and you start making phrases.

However, not until before Japanese colonization did Korean was official, and there were many variations to Korean.  There were also pronounciations for f, v, z, and stuff as well.

Grrr..
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 21:42
In fact, there was a nation called Bo-hai-guo (7th century to 9th century, the nation of bohai, which means the yellow sea) around that area which was purely Altaic.  The sad thing about being around that area back in those days is you can't escape the Chinese influence.

Edited by hansioux
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 23:28
Bohai....that's the Chinese pronounciation right?

In Korean it's Barhae...There's a lot of conterversy around that old kingdom. Koreans Claim it was founded by Koreans, The Russians say it was founded by Malgals, and since China is now claiming Koguryo, it'll probably be saying that Barhae is a chinese nation too...
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 01:57
Well, personally I think the whole China South Corea's fight over Koguryo thing is just silly.  That is like argueing if Archaeopteryx is bird or reptile.  WHY WOULD IT MATTER!?  It is most likely both, and most likely neither.  Koguryo was thought by the Coreans as their ancestors.  But the land Koguryo occupied is situated in China.  And back in the days i bet they didn't really care if they are Chinese or Corean, they are probaly just Koguryean.  They were both influenced by the Chinese as much as the Coreans.  They had wars with the Chinese as well as the Coreans.  So what's the stupid argue about?  Just because the Turkish people today probably didn't build Troy.  Does it mean they can't apply Troy to the United nations for world heritage?  They leaders and people of both nation needs to grow up.  Why not apply it jointly? 
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 19:34
No it doesn't mean that at all, and CHina does have the absolute right to list them as UNESCO Sites...
There are a few problems

1.  CHina tried to block North Koreas Application, they barely got it through
2.  The whole Unesco thing isn't important, what freaks out Koreans is the China is saying all of a sudden that Koguryo was a Subordinate territory of China...Whether you believe that Koguryo was Korean or CHinese, the above stated is a blatant lie...

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 16:35

Believe me, to people who are brought up in PRC, every country next to China was a subordinate territory of China.  Why do you think they claim Taiwan?

But sometimes Asian histories can't be explained by the set of international views of today.  There is a reason why the leaders of the nations next to China don't call them self  (emperor), just (king).  To an certain degree, back in the days China did feel the responsibility of maintaining regional peace.  Otherwise China wouldn't have sent forces to help Corea for the 3 times that Japanese invaded Corea. 

I know people in Corea think Koguryo had a very bad relationships with China, because China invaded Koguryo during the Suei and Tang dynasty.  But that doesn't mean in the other times China and Koguryo had always been hostile towards each other. 

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 17:04
Koguryo's foregin policy was expansion, it was basically a warrior state...so it wasn't really peaceful with anyone, and even if it was, it was likely to stab you in the back...
BTW I thought china only came to Korea's aid when Japan invaded Korea only once in 1592, when are the other times?

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 21:45

"Believe me, to people who are brought up in PRC, every country next to China was a subordinate territory of China.  Why do you think they claim Taiwan"

No they don't, the only territory they claim is taiwan, and thats a internationally legitimate claim, since the treaty of shimoseki is nullified by the end of world war.

"BTW I thought china only came to Korea's aid when Japan invaded Korea only once in 1592, when are the other times?"

Helping silla in defeating Yamato, helping chosun in fighting Meiji japan.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>