Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Has anyone been in the military? (Any.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone been in the military? (Any.)
    Posted: 10-May-2008 at 03:52
I am interested in hearing any story which you may wish to share be it tragic, comedic or heroic.  I have always been interested in the army as long as I can remember, always wishing to follow in my father's and uncles' footsteps and intrigued by the WW2 stories which my dad's old Scottish accountant whom served in the US Army used to tell (he landed at Normandy).  At one point, some years back, I even considered Sandhurst (before I came to my senses).
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 11:16
I had two years in the army during the Korean war, but I wasn't involved in combat. In fact I spent most of the time learning Russian and studying the Soviet Army within military intelligence. Can't think of any really interesting stories.

I was somewhat impressed however in the early sixties (when I was still on the reserve) getting a notification that in future, if the country mobilised, instead of my old instructions telling me to report to I corps HQ at Maresfield, I had to report to the PI unit at Warminster.

Since this (alarmingly) seemed to stand for  'Physical Instruction' I queried with our military correspondent, who checked and found it meant 'Photographic Interpretation'. What makes it interesting was that in the meantime I had moved into photojournalism, and was currently art/picture editor on the Sunday Telegraph.

So it made sense. But it also meant someone had been keeping an eye on what I was doing.....
Jonathan Catalan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jonathan Catalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 13:52

I was an infantryman in the U.S. Army until September 2007, but I have never seen combat - thank God.  I will be going into the Guadarrama Armor Brigade here in Spain in about a month or two.
My only regrets are that my blood is red and my heart is on the left.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 00:15
G, your CV must read like a telephone directory.

I have a story from my uncle who was in the Shiraz based Imperial airborne brigade.  They were sent to Oman in the early 70s to fight communist rebels.  He told me that they ran out of mosquito repellent for a while and went over and asked the British contingent if they could borrow some and the British were very stingy, reluctantly offering some of their own.  The Americans on the other hand were very friendly and generous and offered up several cases.
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 02:42
wasted my time in the Philippine army for a year, thought I would be a good soldier... boy was I wrong. 
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 10:38
Originally posted by Zagros

G, your CV must read like a telephone directory.

I have a story from my uncle who was in the Shiraz based Imperial airborne brigade.  They were sent to Oman in the early 70s to fight communist rebels.  He told me that they ran out of mosquito repellent for a while and went over and asked the British contingent if they could borrow some and the British were very stingy, reluctantly offering some of their own.  The Americans on the other hand were very friendly and generous and offered up several cases.

I'm surprised the British had any Ermm

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 10:59

I hate the American influence in our army. Getting rid of the proud 1 or 2 battalion regts and replacing them with 65 battalion bohemuts, with nominal affliation. But I must say that the yanks do well in logistics.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 11:07
I spent 3 months in the French Navy as a cadet, but I didn't like it at all.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 11:25
which part? The cadet, french, or navy?

French being not exactly known to take insubordination kindly or to react propotionally. One of the many things I admire about them.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 11:42
A French colleague of mine, a professor of organisational behaviour, once explained to me that the French do not really want democracy or discipline, what they want is a centralised autocracy that they can rebel against. Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 12:17

A country after my own heart. Even if this has the occupational hazard of leading to "long nineteenth century". Hey Britain got the world empire, the French got Victor Hugo and the Paris commune. Fair I say,

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 18:05
I served almost 11 years as a UH-60 crew chief U.S. army. I fought in a few places Afghanistan and Somalia was where I saw the most action in terms of having to use deadly force against someone. I did some things I'm not to proud of or like to brag about but all and all it was an experience I don't regret doing.

I'm not one to tell stories of the violent times and get tired of the age old question "did you kill anyone". I did enjoy being stationed in Hawaii thoughThumbs%20Up

Outside of deployments the things I remember the most are the friendships you develop between people from different parts of the country especially during times of hardship. I believe the speech that was given at the end in the recent version of The Four Feathers really sums that up well.

I also remember no matter how fit I was I would always get a bit nauseous before a P.T. test due to its effect on my NCOER or the way it seem to make people perceive you. I remember my first flight physical and the Captain who, before sticking his finger up my behind, saying "you might feel a slight discomfort and an urge to pee". Who was he kidding I've never felt that abused in my life.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 18:49
I did two years of US ARMY ROTC in college. Started in the fall of '03, and quit in the spring '05. Because I was not attending school via an Army ROTC scholarship, I was able to do the first two years with no military obligations. Had I completed the next semester, however, I would have been obligated to either a) complete my training and accept my commission last May, and would probably have the "honor" of participating in Dick Cheney's oil wars by now, or b) repay the US Army the full amount they had invested in my training and education.

I every much enjoyed what I have experienced of soldiering, and am not averse to war or military conflict in general. I am, however, against senseless economic conflicts meant to rectify situations when there are more practical and better ways of solving a problem. If America's problem is it's dependence on oil, it seems to me to be putting a bandaid over a shotgun wound to merely go to war and hope to influence global prices.
A better solution would be to redevelop the nation's infrastructure to rely far less heavily upon foreign fossil fuels. A national electric railway system comes to mind, as well as more highly developed inter and intracity transit routes based upon efficient train systems, cable cars and buses. Also, it provides a  good way to restart the economy, my making investment and development of such systems a public project of private interests. (sorry, a bit off-topic)

Naturally, however, if my country is threatened again, I'll join up. Two years of ROTC ought to qualify me for OCS after enlistment. Also, I know many PMCs recruit among ex-ROTC cadets. Maybe a good way to see some action, while staying out of the politics of the situation.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 00:04
Yea... can we dispense with the acronyms and jargon, please?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 03:34
ROTC = Reserve Officers Training Corps. It is essentially Officer training school that takes place outside of the main military academies (West Point, Air Force Academy, Virginia Military Institute, etc). Many colleges nationwide offer the program. The Army (or whichever branch) grants scholarships to students to train and get their education for four years of college, and then gives them 8 year commissions into their respective service. Army ROTC graduates enter as a Second Lieutenant. I believe it's as Lt. Junior Grade in the Navy, etc.

OCS= Officer Candidacy School. Mostly for college graduates with no military experience. The soldier enlists and completes basic training, combat arms, and their MOS school, and then takes a twelve week officer course. If it is passed, the soldier earns a commission.

PMCs= Private Military Contractors, i.e. Blackwater USA, Aegis Defence Services (UK), etc. A fancy term for mercenary military corporations. These companies deploy soldiers in conflicts worldwide, with Iraq being the most public involvement of PMCs in recent history.

A two second wikipedia search could have turned up the results for these acronyms. They're fairly commonplace even amongst civilians, or so I always thought.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 10:58
It's not so much a matter of civilians knowing them, as non-Americans knowing them. For instance, in ROTC I didn't know that R meant 'reserve', and OTC in the UK refers (or at least used to) to training carried out in school (that is, the equivalent of high school) as well as at university.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 12:08
OCS: Here the equivalent is PSSC; Pakistan Short Service Course.
ROTC: National Cadet Course; which I did. It did not qualify you for a commision like in the states or even military service, simply makes you a reservist. Or more practically a civilian who knows a bit about military jobs and can shoot reasonable straight. For a commission its off to PSSC. In the wild and rugged NWFP.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 15:15

1 year and 4 months in TSR (Trupele de Securitate Romane= Romanian Security Troops). Almost went to the reprimand of the Brasov (mini) revolt in November 1987. Had training in explosives/demoltions/WMD(chemical and bio warfare), antiterrorist, special forces and communications.The TS were used mostly for guarding what the communist regime considered important objectives. They also guarded the embasyes and were part of the police (militia). The main reason they were created was to maintain a military force bigger yhan what post WWII allowed our country (TSR were under the command of the Internal Affairs Ministry, not the Defense).

One of the worst day of my life was when waiting for 14 hours Arafat's plane to land on Bucharest, out in the field, in a cold and rainy November day.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 15:56
Originally posted by Zagros

Yea... can we dispense with the acronyms and jargon, please?

Old habits are hard to change sometimes, sorry.

P.T.= Physical Training
NCOER= Non Commissioned Officer Evaluation Report

UH-60= Utility helicopter type 60. S-70 would be the civilian model
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 16:24
Originally posted by gcle2003

It's not so much a matter of civilians knowing them, as non-Americans knowing them. For instance, in ROTC I didn't know that R meant 'reserve', and OTC in the UK refers (or at least used to) to training carried out in school (that is, the equivalent of high school) as well as at university.

I didn't even think about that. You're right of course. Excuse my newness and unfamiliarity with the this forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>