Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This is the BBC today....apologized....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This is the BBC today....apologized....
    Posted: 04-May-2008 at 17:08
I never heard Belgium threatening to invade Luxembourg just because they have a common name. So what is all the fuss about? 3 years since I first landed in this forum and yet till now I did not find a single logical explaination for the greek anger.

Al-Jassas
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 17:18
Perhaps you don't want to.

What else do you want?

a)Monopolizing ancient Macedonia's history with which have no connection
b)Making claims that Greeks genocided 'Macedonians' in the Balkan waars
c)Printing maps of "Greater Macedonia" and speaking of Greek Macedonia as occupied territory.
d)Telling 2 million Greeks to stfu cause the Macedonians are the people of FYROM and their minorities in Greece and Bulgaria.

If those reasons are not enough to persuade you....what can I say
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 18:07
Originally posted by Vorian

Originally posted by Sparten

Call them Philip's pals, Alexander's Androids, jokers, French, Macedonians. Call them whatever you want or desire. But whats a fight over a name.

Since you have participated in other threads you know it's not only about a name.

And besides, it's easy to find a dispute laughable when you don't have the slightest connection with it, do you know how ridiculous for example is the Pakistan-India conflict sounds to a Greek or Skopjan (if he has ever bothered with it)??

From my point of view you people fight over mountains that worth nothing. From your point, we fight for a stupid name. It's all about where you stand.

India Pakistan have many more dispute than "mountains". As I am sure that you and FYR Macedonia have other issues. But a dispute over a name will always strike people (outsiders) as the height of immaturity.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 18:09
Originally posted by akritas

Careful before you accuse people of being racist akritas.
Why ?
....are you also adopted his "ideas" ?
 ...that most of  Greece has a Slavic admixture since the 6-7th cts ?
how you call someone that put blood and dna with the ethnicity, at least within a race ?

I have no opinion on this subject. And I doubt I ever will have one. But, if I see you calling someone racist or ignoring moderator instructions again, then I shall unfortunatly be compelled to issue an official warning.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 20:44

Originally posted by es_bih

Considering that most of Greece has a Slavic admixture since the 6-7th cts. 

This is a nationalist and racist quote.
How do you know that most of the Greece has  Slavic mixture ?

Historical  and archaeological evidence collapse your racist quote. Genetic and anthropological analysies also.

Warren Treadgold. History of Byzantium.
great scholar and a neutral source.

Those areas were under various different Slavic groups' control until the late 8 th ct. Admixture is something that certainly happened.

And Slavs were there, and stayed. what happened is that a lot of other groups were moved by various emperors to supplicate loyalist citixzens.

The Byzantines were not keen on greeknes. but on loyalty to the roman crown.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 20:47

Why ?
how you call someone that put blood and dna with the ethnicity, at least within a race ?

I have no opinion on this subject. And I doubt I ever will have one. But, if I see you calling someone racist or ignoring moderator instructions again, then I shall unfortunatly be compelled to issue an official warning.

You can compel me 1000 warnings and 3000 banning. When someone in open dispute my ethnicity by calling my nation part Slavic by blood I will react properly. This is the definition of racism toward to the Greek nation.

Attempts   to force the Greek nation into either a "black" or a "white" or a “Slavic” category have no biological justification. Greeks are Greeks and not part Greeks.

Edited by akritas - 04-May-2008 at 21:22
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 21:02

Greeks are Greeks and not part Greeks.

What's that but a racist statement? Is there another nation in Europe that would seriously make the same claim? (Actually I doubt most Greeks would agree.)

Maybe Iceland? Iceland was pretty much out of touch all along.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 21:06
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Historical  and archaeological evidence collapse your racist quote. Genetic and anthropological analysies also.

Why is it racist to be called Slavic? Is there something wrong with Slavs?
It depends from  the writing of this that he asking or argue.  Nationality is a matter of culture, not genetics(mixtures).

If the basis of your writing is the culture  my  answers are

-No
-Nothing wrong

If the basis of your writing is the  the genetics  then you know what would be my  answers.

Originally posted by gcle2003

What's that but a racist statement? Is there another nation in Europe that would seriously make the same claim? (Actually I doubt most Greeks would agree.)

the same  answer as the previous one.

Edited by akritas - 04-May-2008 at 21:07
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 21:24

Warren Treadgold. History of Byzantium.
great scholar and a neutral source.

Those areas were under various different Slavic groups' control until the late 8 th ct. Admixture is something that certainly happened.

And Slavs were there, and stayed. what happened is that a lot of other groups were moved by various emperors to supplicate loyalist citixzens.

The Byzantines were not keen on greeknes. but on loyalty to the roman crown.
Bigger from Ostrogorski, Satton, Charanis or Curta ?
My answer is here.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 22:49
Hello Vorian

Chill out dude, there no reason for anger.

Let them claim what ever they want nobody will listen to them and frankly, non of the reasons mentioned above deserve the fuss, at leastfrom my humble perspective, except territorial claims which I never heard of, since I don't live in the region and it is not my highest priority. But hey, Iran calls the gulf Persian and the Arab reaction was no way near the Iranian reaction when they demonstrated against google, National Geographic, UAE embassy. We just say to them good luck. There is an Iranian Azerbaijan and a republic of Azerbaijan and no fuss was made. In Luxembourg the state German is their ethnicity while in the Belgian Luxemboug they Waloon.

Al-Jassas
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 22:49

India Pakistan have many more dispute than "mountains". As I am sure that you and FYR Macedonia have other issues. But a dispute over a name will always strike people (outsiders) as the height of immaturity.

Exactly. To me it sounds immature thatboth sides got nukes while having a live conflict.

It's all a matter of where you stand. I know nothing about that conflict, that's why I don't post on it or try to be patronising like most people do here.

Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 22:50
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello Vorian

Chill out dude, there no reason for anger.

Let them claim what ever they want nobody will listen to them and frankly, non of the reasons mentioned above deserve the fuss, at leastfrom my humble perspective, except territorial claims which I never heard of, since I don't live in the region and it is not my highest priority. But hey, Iran calls the gulf Persian and the Arab reaction was no way near the Iranian reaction when they demonstrated against google, National Geographic, UAE embassy. We just say to them good luck. There is an Iranian Azerbaijan and a republic of Azerbaijan and no fuss was made. In Luxembourg the state German is their ethnicity while in the Belgian Luxemboug they Waloon.

Al-Jassas

Not exactly angry mate, just fed up. We have enough problems here to worry about FYROM idiotic aspirations while the rest opf the world blindly accuses us of immaturity or plain stupidity.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 01:58

Or at the very least, Cool it down some.Wink

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 02:14
Originally posted by Akritas

Ostrogorski supports es bih
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 08:48
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Originally posted by Akritas

Ostrogorski supports es bih
Give me page, book and edition ?

But even though the Pelopomese itself was under Slav control for more than two hundred years,a there was no question of any permanent Slavonization of Greek territOry.
Little by little the Byzantine authorities in Greece and the other coastal regions managed to regain lost ground and to preserve, or in some cases to recover, their Greek character for these areas.
[Georg Ostrogorsky, page 94,History of the Byzantine State]

do you need more ?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 13:45
Originally posted by red clay

Or at the very least, Cool it down some.Wink

LOL

LOL
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 13:48

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Why is it racist to be called Slavic? Is there something wrong with Slavs?
It depends from  the writing of this that he asking or argue.  Nationality is a matter of culture, not genetics(mixtures).

If the basis of your writing is the culture  my  answers are

-No
-Nothing wrong

If the basis of your writing is the  the genetics  then you know what would be my  answers.

Originally posted by gcle2003

the same  answer as the previous one.
I didn't understand it the first time.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 15:38
For some of our proud Greek brothers here on AE let me give you some nice helpful advice. As you know we have many members who carry a strong affinity to their heritage. Members from all walks of life and ethnicities. I remember the heavy Turko-everything threads from a few years back. It got to the point where one group would feel offended when another group called them less than 100% pure. Yet, those who carried an open mind realized that social/ cultural and ethinic mixing has carried on for generations. To what extent? We can realy on the books, our relatives and traditions for that information.

My suggestion is to argue the sources. Be aware of the possibilities and still carry your pride with honor. Nobody is intentionally belittling or diffusing your genetic ancestry. However, scholarly debates shall continue.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 22:21
Originally posted by Vorian

LOL, I was merely asking why they don't care what WE find offensive.

That is probably because YOU started to find offensive too many things. Don't call this Feta, do not call yourselves Macedonians, these people should not call themselves Lesbians, these lands are not lands of Orpheus and so on. Wink
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 22:27

Why ?

First racist then was Constantine Porphirogenitus.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>