Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if Marc Anthony won at Actium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if Marc Anthony won at Actium
    Posted: 23-Apr-2008 at 17:15
This is an interesting question for the fate of all world history. IMO, if Marc Anthony won at Actium, and thus Octavian would not have become emperor, then the civil wars in the Roman Republic would have continued. Marc Anthony simply did not have Octavian's political skills in order to create an empire. Octavian's legacy of the bureaucratic state model would not have given birth to the organization of the Christian Chruch and by extension the corporation and the modern world would have been unrecognizable. And what about the Republic? Could it have survived the civil wars? Would the Ptolemaic kingdom be given a new lease on life due to Marc Anthony's concessions to Cleopatra? What do you think? 
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2008 at 18:07
I think that the Republic would have been saved, and in the long run the Roman civilization would have lasted longer due to having the adminstration remain at the hands of the Senate. Marc Anthony would have retired from his Dictator office and retired with Cleopatra, and Egypt would become another vassal state of Rome. I believe the Senate would also have set up a system that would limit the chances of having another Civil War on their hands again.
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 08:32
good point ponce, I believe Mark Anthony was leaning towards that, the great thing of Roman Republic is that it wasnt a single system like the Persians had, and because of this, ideas may be exchanged. 
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 08:35
and what I meant by leaning towards is retiring with Cleopatra. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 09:18
If he had won at Actium, then there was still the matter of winning the war. I mean its unlikely that the Senate would have allowed Marc Antony to give half of Romes eastern provinces to Cleopatra.

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2008 at 07:47
I agree with Sparten. Inflicting a crushing defeat upon Octavian would not have signaled the end of the war. The senate would have attempted to do anything in their power, to make sure that the "wicked queen" was destroyed. Octavian, being that he was the supposed "champion" of Italy, would have given his life for the senate and people of Rome.
 Post Reply Post Reply