Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A True African American Ceramic Tradition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A True African American Ceramic Tradition
    Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 20:51

Face Jugs, or ugly jugs have long been associated with the Red Clay pottery tradition of the American South East.  Indigenous potters from North Carolina to Louisiana have, for 300 years, incorporated them into their line of wares.

At various times I have tried to find an origin and the reasons for these, sometimes hideous, sometimes humorous works.  For years mostly what I found were folk tales and vague stories that smacked of "I don't know really, so I'll make something up" consequently there are some really dumb ideas running around.

A couple of years ago some grad students from LSU [ I'm not totally sure on this] were doing research on traditions originating with the slaves that had lived and worked in the Gulf Coast region.  What they found was remarkable and the first believable origins for the "face Jugs".

Slaves were not allowed to have Headstones when they died.  The face jugs served both as a marker for the grave and a talisman to ward off evil spirits.  As time wore on, the uses for the jugs evolved with the needs of the slaves.  Slaves were not allowed to read and anyone caught teaching a slave to read was normally prosecuted.  Not being able to read what was in a bottle or jug, the slaves adapted the face jug to indicate if the contents of a jug were harmful.  Example, kerosene or poison would be in a really nasty, scary looking jug, while honey or something similar would be in a jug with a happy face.

The Louisiana tradition has been traced back to the mid 1700's.  The South Carolina tradition has been traced to the early 1800's.

Had some difficulty loading pics, error mess. said acess denied, sorry for the delay.

These are a mix of old and contempoary works.

Edited by red clay - 16-Apr-2008 at 21:12
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 20:58

Do you have pictures, Red Clay? That's interesting.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 21:13
See edit in above post.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2008 at 04:42
Very interesting, indeed.
I agree that style problably was introduced to the Americans by Africans. The only similar idea that I can recall in the Americas is the Andes region's pottery portraits, common in Moche and Inca civilizations. But those were portraits, rather than symbolic vessels like the Red Clay pottery tradition you show above.

To me, they recall me the motifs of the African religious masks. I don't know if that link has been explorer.

Great thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply