Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romanian ethnic identity and language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romanian ethnic identity and language
    Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 20:08
Originally posted by Flipper

In that theory, the German word is Walh/Walechen (foreigner or non German),

In German you have Fremde for foreigner.
The Germans call the Rumanians Wallachen.
The Germans use the word Volk vor people (VolksWagen - car of the people).

- From the Celtic tribe known as Volcae which became latin speaking and with that name the Germans called most of the latin speakers. (personally I never understood the connection)

however, it was used for Celts and Latin speakers in general not specifically Latin speakers of the Balkans.

Exactly.
The Italians are called by the Poles, Volohi/Voloh,
the Hungarians do the same, they call the Rumanians, Olah.
Welsh derives from the same root.

However, may I add some more etymologies I've found from other Vlach sources?

You can add many other ethymologies. But, don't forget: linguists are not historians.
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 20:10
Originally posted by Anton

Yeah and who is repeating communist nationalistic propaganda after all? LOL

As long the Bulgarians are the followers of the Thracians, you repeat a national-communist
propaganda.

The same for the Romanians which repeat the Daco-Romanian continuity.
That theory is  bullshit.
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 21:26
"You keep showing your ignorance."

If that is true you are just as guilty for allowing it and not explaining anything. Rather you make vague statements. This leads me to believe that what you are accusing me of you are actually guilty of.

"Read the book and you will find many examples."

I don't have the book. So you have to give examples. I can just say "go read this and this book ha i'm right!" but it doesn't get the conversation anywhere.

"No you didn't. Bulgars were not from Balkans. However modern Bulgarians are mostly local. By genetics, culture and to some extent even language. They are result of mix of local population with upcoming tribes. Exactly as other Balkanese including Romanians. The fact that your countrymates usually nationalistically refuse to admit."

And what are Romanians mixed with? Why is it that through the centuries there are evidences of a Latin population north of the Danube, constantly? Other then Dacian (Thracian) and Roman what are we?

"Now this starts to be ridiculous.  "

You are the one that keeps equating Bulgarians as having the ancestors of the "unromanized Thracians" whichever those may be.

"Yeah and who is repeating communist nationalistic propaganda after all? LOL"

Same business when I speak with Hungarians. If we are not Latin and we are not Dacian then what are we? Give an alternative.

"The same for the Romanians which repeat the Daco-Romanian continuity.
That theory is  bullshit."
Why is it bullshit? You said that the theory comes up through the communists yet I have given you quotes from as early as the 400s that speaks of a latin population north of the danube. Also several chronicles detailing how not every, or even most people withdrew in the Aurelian withdrawl.

So again until any of you give an alternative i'll just chalk up your opinions due to nationalistic envy/propaganda.
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 22:32
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

Why is it bullshit?

I have given you quotes from as early as the 400s that speaks of a latin population north of the danube. Also several chronicles detailing how not every, or even most people withdrew in the Aurelian withdrawl.

So again until any of you give an alternative i'll just chalk up your opinions due to nationalistic envy/propaganda.

First of all, let us state the problem, let us see what Daco-Roman continuity means.
It is the theory, that a population, continuously lived  in the same place, in the same territory over a certain
time interval (from time A to time B).

In our case the time period starts with the Roman occupation of the north Danubian territory up to today.
The territory is the former Roman province, Dacia Traiana.
The people which continuously lived in this territory are the Daco-Romans.

But first let us define the Daco-Romans.
If we start to define these people, we run in a problem.
The first problem starts with the Dacians. Practically we don't know anything about these people.
We don't know their language, we don't know their culture.
The only thing we know about them is that Greeks called them Getians, and the Romans called them
Dacians (which is part of the confusion, because the Goths were very seriously in pretending
that the Getians were their forefathers, and this up to recently).

Not only this, but a lot of authors who studied the Dacian arhaeological artifacts are puzzled
by the similarities of the Dacian civilization with that of the Celts, which can't be said about
the Getians.

We know also very little about their religion (Zamolxis, Deceneu), about several kings,
like Burebista (around the time of Cezar) and Decebal (around the time of Traian) and that
is all.

From 106 starts the Roman civilization north of the Danube, with the help of very many colonists,
the majority being from all the empire, fewer "veterans" (therefore impossible that the word
"veteran" entered the Romanian language as "batran"  north of Danube, but very probable
this happend south of the Danube were the veterans had a long history of settling).

But in year 272 all the Romans leave the place, together with a large part of the Dacian population,
being resettled south of the Danube (there is a lot of documentation proving this assertion).

Thus, the question arise, who are the Daco-Romans?

Assume, that some of these Daco-Romans (a fictitious entity, bread be the minds of fanatic
Romanian nationalists) survived north of the Danube.

But where?

The first Romanian state north of Danube was in Valahia, the second in Moldavia.
But both these states were defined over a territory which never belonged to Dacia Traiana.

Therefore, how can we talk about a Daco-Roman continuity, if the first Romanian states
(the states of those continuous Daco-Romans) were formed in a territory which never
belonged to Dacia Traiana?

Do you see the fallacy of these Daco-Roman continuatists?

I proved you that the Daco-Roman continuity was incorporated in the stack of Romanian nationalistic
dogma without a serios logical foundation.

Next, I prove you that  there are no historical facts to state that any Latin speakers (I mean
also Vulgar Latin or a neo Latin language, such as a proto-Romanian) lived during the period of
VI-th to X-th century, north of the Danube.

Beginning with the III-th century Dacia, but also territories adjacent to the Roman province,
become the homeland of the Goths, of the Huns, of the Gepid. Later on we see the arrival of
the Avars (VI-th century), of the Slavs, then of the Bulgars, followed by Turk people such
as the Pecenegs and Kumans.

The Romanian owe to the Turks (these are the Old Turks) the fact that they moved north of
Danube and established their homeland their. The Old Turks gave the Romanians/Vlahs
the chance to escape the Sklavinoi.

Already Mauricius organized the empire in such a way to use the peasantry as soldiers.
His reforms established the Themes, which later were expanded by Heraclius with a lot of success.
These Themes were the skeleton of the Sklavinoi structure, which allowed several basileus
in Constantinopolis to deal with the invasion of the Slavs.

Obviously that the Latin speakers (the forefathers of the Romanians) disappeared from the radar
of the Byzantines because they were absorbed into the Sklavinoi, subdued by the Slavs,
which is evident in the addstratum of the Romanian Language which borrowed loanwords related
to institutions (church and state) such as the Slavonic church related words, or those related
to social organizations, kneaz, voievod, etc.

It was due to the Old Turks that the Romanians escaped the Sklavinoi.
First it was the Bulgars (the Turks). Then it was the Pechenegs, and the last on the list
the Kumans (actually the Tatars had also their share, mostly regardin the expansion of
the Romanians/Vlahs up to the Dniester)

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 22:51
Balkan wars again? LOL
How do we succeed each time?

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 23:11

Balkan wars again? LOL
How do we succeed each time?
No, not really. I was about to stop Cheers 
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 01:52

But we do know about the Dacians. Prehistoric Dacia is a decent book concerning them. And we do know about their culture and religion. How their social structure was set up. For example the reason the Dacians became Christinized so easily is because their theology was also based in their social structure. Once their social elite were killed off, there was no basis for their theology.

So please let's make a correction here. YOU don't know anything about the Dacians. Let's not assume your lack of knowledge upon everyone else. Romania is practically litered with remnants of Dacian archeology mixed with Roman culture. That picture I posted up is one of those.

Next, the Goths did not say they were Getai. Jordanes, a historian in his Getica said that the King was related to Decebalus. And perhaps the king of that time may have been the son of a Gothic king and a Dacian queen. Getai = Dacian.

What archeologists are puzzled by similarities between Celts and Dacians? We know the Celts and Dacians fought, maybe shared some land together in the north west. Other then that they were kicked out and the Dacians remained.

Correction you know very little about their religion. If you want to discuss this we can.

Why is it impossible for batran to be made north of the danube? Because there were moe veterans to the south? Well guess what, Romanians were both north and south of the danube. The difference is that the south became assimilated over the years by slavic groups.

I already posted a peice of Aurelian's biographer's chronicle saying that only the Roman administration withdrew and most of the population were more fearful to travel then to live under the Goths. So it seems you havn't even read what I have been posting.

Where did the Daco-Roman idea come out of? Fictious Romanian nationalists?

Nicolaus Olahus, a Transylvanian Humanist of Romanian (Wallachian?) extraction, received in 1541 a diploma from Ferdinand of Habsburg. The diploma also said (I didn't find the original text, I'm translating after a translation): "your co-national Vlachs do not have a humble origin at all. Indeed, it is known they descend from Rome, the city of the emperors, and that they were settled in a very rich side of Dacia which is called Transalpina to stop the attacks of the ancient enemies in Roman provinces. That's why even today they call themselves Romans in their language."
- in 1561/1562, the Moldavian ruler Jacob Heraclides, better known as Despot Voda (i.e. Despot Voivod), wrote a proclamation to his people letting them know "con voi valenti homeni et gente bellicosa discesi dali valorosi Romani, quali hanno fatto tremer il mondo" (the reporting source is Italian). As it can be seen in mid 16th century a Moldavian ruler told his people that they descend from the Romans.
- a similar episode can be extracted from the papal correspondence three decades later. In 1592/1593, trying to organize an anti-Ottoman alliance, the pope Clement VIII wrote to his messenger Alessandro Komulovic to rally the Wallachians and the Moldavians to their cause "riducendo loro anco a memoria, ch'essi sono colonna d'Italiani" (remind them they are a colony of Italians)

I suppose in the 1500s those men from Austria and Italy were ficticious Romanian nationalists right? And i'm sure they were card carrying members of the communist party too and played cards with Ceausecu via a time machine.

Come on, let's be serious here.

The first states in the medieval age of the Romanians were Wallachia and Moldova because Transilvania was being semi ruled by the Hungarians. Though Transilvania was never really part of the Hungarian Kingdom because most of the time it was ruled by Romanians themselves under the Hungarians. Even John Hunyadi and his son Corvinus were at least in part Romanian.

I showed an article of a diplomat of Constantinople going to speak with the Huns and he met a population of latin speakers which he named "Ausonoi."

Obviously the latin speaking fore fathers vanished from under your radar my friend because that radar is broken. Like wise if the Romanians came from the south of the danube within Byzantine boarders they would have recorded it. They recored 500 Cumans moving through their lands, you'd think they'd get a few hundred Romanians (at least) a mention. On the other hand we have chronicles mentioning Romanians moving from NORTH to SOUTH along the Sava and raiding Theselonika.

Turkish saviors LOL Riiiiight.
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 05:20
Among the science fiction works regarding the Dacian I quote "Prehistoric Dacia" by Densusianu,
a very nice piece of art work (fiction), but nothing else.

The Dacians never christiniazed because they vanished from history.
Some historians claim that Albanians are Dacians who added an addstratum to their
language due to their cohabitation with the Romanians/Vlahs.

Jordanes claim that the Goths are Getians was adopted by most of the Germans, all over Europe.
The Spanish kings claimed that even recently. On maps during the XVI-th century the occurrence
of Dacia among German lands is pretty often.

THe Celts left a very important legacy in Transylvania because they introduced the La Tene culture,
which is a period of the Iron Age  during 450 BCE to  the 1st century BCE, which spread only
in Transylvania (not other Romanian territories) around 300 BCE . Most of the Dacian arheological
artifacts are actually Celtic.

I know much better than you the Dacian civilization, as you see.

Romanians were both north and south of the danube. The difference is that the south became assimilated over the years by slavic groups.

You have a paroxysmal attitude by promoting continuity north of Danube,
by denying to the same people continuity south of the Danube.

Are you able to see the paradox?

You are saying, that Romanians were both north and south of the Danube.
But south of Danube they disappeared.

Basically you promote a discriminatory attitude, very much in the footsteps of nationalists in
the Balkan states, such as Bulgarians, Greeks, Serbs, Croats, Albanians, etc.

I already posted a peice of Aurelian's biographer's chronicle saying that only the Roman administration withdrew and most of the population were more fearful to travel then to live under the Goths.

First of all, Daco-Roman continuity is defined as a continuous living in the area of Dacia Traiana
from 106 up today. Prove it! (nobody was able to prove it).

It is very simple to prove it (if you can).
Find a place in Transylvania or Oltenia (this was the territory of Dacia Traiana) and prove
that in that place people lived continuosly. It is really simple your task.

But I  bet for 1 billion dollars that you can't!tongue

Nicolaus Olahus,
 "your co-national Vlachs do not have a humble origin at all. Indeed, it is known they descend from Rome, the city of the emperors, and that they were settled in a very rich side of Dacia which is called Transalpina to stop the attacks of the ancient enemies in Roman provinces. That's why even today they call themselves Romans in their language."

- in 1561/1562, the Moldavian ruler Jacob Heraclides, better known as Despot Voda (i.e. Despot Voivod), wrote a proclamation to his people letting them know "con voi valenti homeni et gente bellicosa discesi dali valorosi Romani, quali hanno fatto tremer il mondo" (the reporting source is Italian).

In 1592/1593, trying to organize an anti-Ottoman alliance, the pope Clement VIII wrote to his messenger Alessandro Komulovic to rally the Wallachians and the Moldavians to their cause "riducendo loro anco a memoria, ch'essi sono colonna d'Italiani" (remind them they are a colony of Italians)

Your quotes have nothing to do with the Daco-Roman continuity.

What I see in your quotes is the Roman continuity north of Danube.
At the same time, during Renaissance, the German intellectuals in Transylvania (Saxons),
were claiming that Dacian were their forefathers (Jordanes claim). On the other side the
Italian merchants were discovering a language very similar to Italian north of Danube.
Their first thought was that these people must be descendants of the Romans.

Very simple, very logic (from that point of view, which was very limited in knowledge).
On the other side, in XVII-th century, a Valachian  Voevod, of Greek origin, Serban Cantacuzino,
introduced for the first time the Daco-Roman theory (the Valachians are the descendants
of the Daco-Romans). But "Scoala Ardeleana" refuted this assertion, claiming that
the Romanians are descendants of the Roman colonists.

As you see, both assertions are only ideological motivated theories. Nothing else.

Though Transilvania was never really part of the Hungarian Kingdom because most of the time it was ruled by Romanians themselves under the Hungarians. Even John Hunyadi and his son Corvinus were at least in part Romanian.

This is foolish.
Ianos Hunyadi was the son of Voicu (Vajk) and Erzsébet Morzsinay(a Hungarian). He married Erzebet
Szilagyi, a Maghyar noble, and had a son, the Hungarian king, Matthias Corvinus.

It is really hazardous to claim that Matthias Corvinus was a Romanian.

a diplomat of Constantinople going to speak with the Huns and he met a population of latin speakers which he named "Ausonoi."

Where?
In Pannonia.
Exactly in the place, where around the year 900 the Hungarians meet some remnants of a population
which they call the Roman's shephards.

According to your mind this means continuity of people?
The fact that a pocket of a romanized population still exist in Pannonia is a proof for
Daco-Roman continuity north of Danube?

if the Romanians came from the south of the danube within Byzantine boarders they would have recorded it. They recored 500 Cumans moving through their lands, you'd think they'd get a few hundred Romanians (at least) a mention.

In the XIX-th century several important Austrian linguists discover that Romanian is a language which
formed itself south of Danube in the area of today's Serbia.

One of their students was Dimitrie Onciul, president of the Romanian Academy of Science between
1925-1933 (until his death). He embraced a theory called the "admigration" theory, which became
very popular in Romania during the interwar period, but was put to rest by the communists
(this is the reason that you guys know only the national-communist theory of Daco-Roman continuity).
According to the admigration theory the Romanians moved north of Danube over a long period
of time in small groups of people, a process known in the Romanian historiography also with
the name "bajenie".

Turkish saviors LOL Riiiiight.

The most important ones were the Maghyars.
Actually, the Romanians moved north of the Danube mostly due to the Hungarians.
But I think the Pechenegs and the Kumans had their own role.
Initially, the Hungarians were a coalition of Turkish tribes, the Maghyars being only a
minority. Their first state was called by the Byzantines Turkey. The Maghyars called the
Bulgars the Danubian Bulgars to distinguish them from the Volga Bulgars.
They used for the Bulgars a name which I a forgot (something like Nardin).

Because the Maghyars were the first Turks to christianize and adopt catholicism,
soon they became an important power broker in the Balkans, controlling important
Slav territories, from where they imported workforce to colonize their territories north of Danube.

I also believe that the Bulgar Turks initially used the Roman Latin speakers to build their
state. There are a lot of facts about these issue, which could be a separate thread.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 12:05
Originally posted by schiau

I also believe that the Bulgar Turks initially used the Roman Latin speakers to build their
state. There are a lot of facts about these issue, which could be a separate thread.

This Turkic Bulgars got intermixed with locals rather than used them. Read the story about Kuber Bulgars for instance.
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 13:38

Originally posted by diegis

Well, from what i know, we have the "Martisor" celebration, wich i heard bulgarians have to ( Martenitsa, or something like that )

Martenitsa/Martisor custom is considered to be of Thracian origin.

Well, to be correct, thracian- dacians are especialy our ancestors, even if they was a part in "construction" of other nations too, but in a much lesser degree, so its obviously from who you take that custom, when you arrive in Balkans
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 14:17

the folklore of romanians is considered mostly from dacian origin

this has nothing in common with reality. It is fiction.

t
this can be an answer of a suposedly close between dacian and latin language,

this is more than fiction, it is called Napoleonism (some people call it DacoMania,
and it is a theory promoted by a dentist well connected with the communist Securitatea).

Hmm, fiction is that world where you think you live in reality, mai Fane Wink. You apear here too, with your fantastic ideas inspired by so called historian Roessler in XIX century to justifie somehow the foreign ocupation of romanian land of Transilvania.
 About folklore, let see :- ielele, Muma Padurii, baba Dochia, solomonarii - the old dacian priests, knowed as "travelers on clouds" in ancient writings ( Josephus Flavius from ex. ), who slowly began to disaper after christianism spread in masses, and remain in legends and folklore until today, as powerful wizards under the aspect of a poor peregrin who can travel on clouds, on a dragon ( "balaur" in romanian- considered a dacian word Smile ) and bring the rains and storms ; strigoii, pricolicii, the fact that in legends Saint Apostol Andrew, the protector Saint of Romania, was guided here by a wolf ( name of dacians is considered coming from a phrygian related word "daos", meaning "wolf", and along with romans, geto-dacians was the only peoples of that times who have a close and strong relation with wolves, as nation, in their mythology ), and he is considered the patron of wolves too ; sambra oilor ; Junii Brasovului and many other things prouve what i said about our folklore. Its not Napoleonism and other bullshits you said about comunist Securitatea, but things you can learn from every ethnologist or historian. However, i cannt deny that some peoples make exagerations, without too many real prouves, as dacians reach the America or Japan, for ex. ( that Ainu peoples Big%20smile ), but thats have nothing to do with this case.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 14:28

Well, to be correct, thracian- dacians are especialy our ancestors, even if they was a part in "construction" of other nations too, but in a much lesser degree, so its obviously from who you take that custom, when you arrive in Balkans

They are our ancestors too.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 15:08
Guys, take some rest from the serious debate.

And have some fun while listening this song in Romanian language (in it's Eastern Moldavian variety).  Big%20smile

Σαυρομάτης
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 15:32

This Turkic Bulgars got intermixed with locals rather than used them. 

The locals, in the former Moesia Inferior, were Slavs, among them the Severins,
remembered in Romania in the toponomy: Turnu Severin, Banatul Severinului.

Most of the Vlahs/Romanians at the arrival of the Bulgar Turks were spread
in the mountainous areas of the Balkans (mostly western  and south western).
The Bulgars met them predominantly in the former Moesia Superior, among
others around Serdica were Romanians/Vlahs had a presence up to recently.

The famous "Letter of the merchant Neacsu from Campulung" which exposes
the first time the Romanian language, in the year 1521, was written by a
Romanian/Vlah/Valach who had his main residence in Sofia (Serdica).

Another place of interaction between the Bulgars and the Romanians/Vlahs
was Machedonia, mainly around Ohrid.

The western parts of Bulgaria represent the backbone of the Romanian/Vlach
ethnical survival during the transition which occured in the  Balkans between
the years 600-1000.

There was an intensive interactions between the Romanians/Vlachs and their
Slavs neighbors. Thus, the Romanian language borrowed loanwords from the
Bulgars and the Serbs, as adstratum, mostly in the realm of institutionalized life.
But Romanian is still a Latin language and not a Slavic language.
Albanian borrowed a lot from Romanian, being aside Romanian/Vlach the only  balkan
language with a large Latin lexicon.

Edited by schiau - 12-Jun-2008 at 15:38
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 15:40

The locals, in the former Moesia Inferior, were Slavs, among them the Severins,
remembered in Romania in the toponomy: Turnu Severin, Banatul Severinului.

Most of the Vlahs/Romanians at the arrival of the Bulgar Turks were spread
in the mountainous areas of the Balkans (mostly western  and south western).
The Bulgars met them predominantly in the former Moesia Superior, among
others around Serdica were Romanians/Vlahs had a presence up to recently.

There plenty of large cities soon or later conquerred by Bulgars. Equalizing of locals living in mountenous area with Vlachs is weird and has nothing to do with reality. They were ordinary Roman citizens not necessarily speaking Latin (but also Greek and their own languages).

Another place of interaction between the Bulgars and the Romanians/Vlahs
was Machedonia, mainly around Ohrid.
Interaction was with Romans rather than Vlachs who were citizens of Byzantine Empire. Interaction happened not only there but in Rodopi mountains, Serdika, Odessos and many other cities.

There was an intensive interactions between the Romanians/Vlachs and the their
Slavs neighbors. Thus, the Romanian language borrowed loanwords from the
Bulgars and the Serbs, as adstratum, mostly in the realm of institutionalized life.
But Romanian is still a Latin language and not a Slavic language.
Albanian borrowed a lot from Romanian, being aside Romanian/Vlach the only  balkan
language with a large Latin lexicon.
Intensive interaction between Vlachs and Bulgars happened in Second Bulgarian Empire.
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 16:18

There plenty of large cities soon or later conquerred by Bulgars. Equalizing of locals living in mountenous area with Vlachs is weird and has nothing to do with reality. They were ordinary Roman citizens not necessarily speaking Latin (but also Greek and their own languages).

It seems ethnicity has no meaning for you.
I was not talking about Romaioi (about the Roman citizen), I was talking about the
disenfranchised Latin speakers of the Balkans, who after the Avar/Slav invasions of the
VI-th century, lost their grip on power due to the huge financial loses provoked by the
destructions committed by those barbarians.

Those primitive people who invaded the Balkans harmed profoundly the Latin speakers.
They were completely displaced, reduced numerically, but also socially.
The Latin speakers became the underdogs of the Balkans, the Vlachs, a ridiculed people,
called by the Greeks also "village idiot".

The Romanians are an offspring of these Vlachs.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 16:53

Those primitive people who invaded the Balkans harmed profoundly the Latin speakers.
Poor Latin speakers. That is why probably you does not recognize Dridu culture as that of Bulgars as soon as "those primitive people" simply couldn't build something like that LOL

They were completely displaced, reduced numerically, but also socially.
Dunno about Latin speakers but total number of citizens were not signifficantly changed. At least its reduction is overestimated. Concentration around large cities, yes, but not reduction numerically. And again not all of them wqere Latin speakers. Not at all.

The Romanians are an offspring of these Vlachs.
Ha, it is my turn to accuse you in nationalism. Because present day Romanians are offspring not only of those people but also "those primitive people" and also all sorts of other members of Byzantine, Bulgarian and later Ottoman Empires. Refusal to recgnize this, to my opinion is nationalism and figth for national purity Wink

Edited by Anton - 12-Jun-2008 at 16:54
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 18:06

Poor Latin speakers. That is why probably you does not recognize Dridu culture as that of Bulgars as soon

From the view point of the Daco-Roman continuity north of Danube, the Dridu culture
is an example of continuity of the inhabitants.

But, from the opposite viewpoint of Daco-Roman continuity north of Danube, the Dridu culture is
an example of a Slavic population who lived on both sides of the Danube, maybe the Severins.

Personally, I don't believe in the Daco-Roman continuity, I don't believe that the Dridu culture
represents Daco-Romans.

Therefore, what is your point about the poor Latin speakers of the Balkans?

Originally posted by Anton:
Dunno about Latin speakers but total number of citizens were not signifficantly changed. At least its reduction is overestimated. Concentration around large cities, yes, but not reduction numerically. And again not all of them were Latin speakers. Not at all.

How do you know?
By the I-st century all the Balkans was dominated by the Romans, who introduced a Latin
speaking administration, introduced a military service in which Latin was the only language.
Christianity spread among the Latin speakers who developed several important religious
centers, the language used being Latin.

Due to this fact, the Romanian language  preserved old Latin terms used by Christianity, at the
dawn of the Christian faith. Romanian uses "biserica" for the church as an institution, but also
as a building. The etymology is "basilica". Most of the languages use "ecclesia" as the root.

Ha, it is my turn to accuse you in nationalism. Because present day Romanians are offspring not only of those people but also "those primitive people" and also all sorts of other members of Byzantine, Bulgarian and later Ottoman Empires. Refusal to recgnize this, to my opinion is nationalism and figth for national purity Wink

This is the same thing as saying that the Bulgarians are also Gypsy, also Jews.
You know very well that these communities were isolated by the mainstream.
I don't question that there was some intermingling, that nobody is genetic pure, in specially
in the Balkans. But we talk here about ethnicity

Romanians/Vlachs preserved their ethnicity being perceived by the others different.
Up to the barbarian invasions the Latin speakers provided 24 emperors to the throne of the Empire.
They represented a force, a huge military force, based on financial power. Their force was
due to their social position, due to their economic might.

This economic power was destroyed by the barbarians, by those morons who enslaved and
threw the Latin speakers in misery. Out of the power holders they became the underdog.
The barbarians didn't absorb them because they despised them.

And they also applied a word for them: Vlah.
A word which is even today a derogatory term addressed to the only descendants of the Latin speakers.

Edited by schiau - 12-Jun-2008 at 18:16
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 19:05

Originally posted by Anton:
Dunno about Latin speakers but total number of citizens were not signifficantly changed. At least its reduction is overestimated. Concentration around large cities, yes, but not reduction numerically. And again not all of them were Latin speakers. Not at all.

How do you know?
By the I-st century all the Balkans was dominated by the Romans, who introduced a Latin
speaking administration, introduced a military service in which Latin was the only language.
Christianity spread among the Latin speakers who developed several important religious
centers, the language used being Latin.

How do I know? Chronicles, linguistic analysis and archeological data. No signs of signifficant reduction of population number. The official language is being Latin and Greek. It does not necessarily mean that their home language was Latin and/or Greek. Actually linguistic analysis of Latin and Greek inscriptions show that home language was not Latin/Greek. It is the same as to say that Romanians spoke Bulgarian untill 17th century.

This is the same thing as saying that the Bulgarians are also Gypsy, also Jews.
Do not remember Bulgarians to write exclusively in Roma/Gypsy language. Example of intermix of locals with slavs, avars and bulgars is described I repeate in story about Kuber Bulgars. Take a look at it.

You know very well that these communities were isolated by the mainstream.
I don't question that there was some intermingling, that nobody is genetic pure, in specially
in the Balkans. But we talk here about ethnicity
Exactly opposite. Comunities were not isolated especially after adoption of Christianity by Bulgars. Even more in Second Bulgarian Empire Vlachs played quite a large role.

Romanians/Vlachs preserved their ethnicity being perceived by the others different.
Up to the barbarian invasions the Latin speakers provided 24 emperors to the throne of the Empire.
They were Thracian/Illirian speakers most likely.
They represented a force, a huge military force, based on financial power. Their force was
due to their social position, due to their economic might. This economic power was destroyed by the barbarians, by those morons who enslaved and
threw the Latin speakers in misery. Out of the power holders they became the underdog.
The barbarians didn't absorb them because they despised them.
Typical propaganda. "Letopis popa Duklianina" describes the fact that when Bulgars adopted Christianity Latin speakers were welcomed back. Again stopry with Kuber Bulgars describe how Avars, Bulgars and Slavs dealed with local population. After some point of time they weer allowed to go back.

And they also applied a word for them: Vlah.
A word which is even today a derogatory term addressed to the only descendants of the Latin speakers.
Poles call Italians Vlachs. Nothing to do as you might suppose with Balkans.

Edited by Anton - 12-Jun-2008 at 19:21
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 19:45

How do I know? Chronicles, linguistic analysis and archeological data. No signs of signifficant reduction of population number.

Procopius statements contradict whatever you are saying.
Recently, a USA team of archeologists, after digging in the area between Vidin and Russe,
proved all historical facts regarding the events in Moesia: plundering, destroying
of large estates, such as cities, fortifications, etc, profound demographical changes,
barbarians taking over the territory, etc.

The official language is being Latin and Greek. It does not necessarily mean that their home language was Latin and/or Greek. Actually linguistic analysis of Latin and Greek inscriptions show that home language was not Latin/Greek. It is the same as to say that Romanians spoke Bulgarian untill 17th century.

It is not the same. In 1521, a Romanian merchant from Sofia (Serdica), in Bulgaria, writes from
Campulung (a Valachian town) to the Burgermeister of Kronstadt, in Romanian.
Sorry, but this means that in Bulgaria people were speaking Romanian around 1500.
On the other side, as I proved you in my previous posting, the latinization of the people
in the Balkans was 100% accomplished in the area dominated by the Latin language.

You are using Balkan nationalistic stereotypes. According to these stereotypes, the
barbarians are actually the descendants of the civilized Thracians, Illyrians.
Wishful thinking.

Typical propaganda. "Letopis popa Duklianina" describes the fact that when Bulgars adopted Christianity Latin speakers were welcomed back. Again stopry with Kuber Bulgars describe how Avars, Bulgars and Slavs dealed with local population. After some point of time they weer allowed to go back.

hahahahahahahahahaha...
Ljetopis' Popa Dukljanina has often been dismissed out of hand by historians.
Bullshit.

Poles call Italians Vlachs. Nothing to do as you might suppose with Balkans.

The same in the Balkans: Vlah, Vlasi, Vlax, Vlach
And always used with a derogatory meaning by the Bulgars, Serbs, Greeks, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>