Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romanian ethnic identity and language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romanian ethnic identity and language
    Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 22:37
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

"and they don't prove continuity.
Those show directly artifacts of a Roman population north of the Danube which are the Daco-Romans. If you don't want to see it you won't.

first of all, there are isolated sites, mostly from 3th century.

It seems you fail to grasp what it means a time interval, such as: 262-1000
(I gave up on asking you 272-2008).

If you want to prove the assertion that north of Danube, the Daco-Romans lived
continuously during 272-1000, pay attention, that time gaps are not allowed.
Therefore, your task is to prove for each year from 272-1000 with documents
and archaeological sites the continuous existence of a Daco-Roman population.

Assume that you are able to prove this with various archeological sites (you can't, because
they don't exist). But , how do you  prove that the population bearing a culture you claim
to be Daco-Roman, spoke actually a proto-Romanian language?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 22:40

Imperium Vlachos et Bulgarios. That was the name of the Empire. If it doesn't appear in your history books :X
It appears. It also appears as "Empire of Bulgars" or "Tsar Blgarom". :)

Point is when Bulgars came they found Thracians that were Romanized (at least mostly). And who are those Romanized Thracians? Hi nice to meet you.
This is wrong point.  

Slavs came from the north. White Serbia remember? I'm not denying there were no slavs north of the danube, but they weren't large enough to change who we are to a great extent.
Suddenly they became large enough to change population south of Danube. Ah those cheeky Slavs! LOL
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 22:50
Okay now this is just obvious. You've made your conclusion and you wrap all information you gian around your conclusion as you see fit.

First off there is no chronicle ever mentioning a migration from the south, ever.

Secondly i've shown you through out the years (not every year, but show me a people you can do this for) of their existance.

Thirdly, I've shown you accounts from other people, opinions of historicans, politicians, religious figures, chronics from Persia to Italy of who the Romanians are.

So I think i've provided enough information concerning all of that. Let's see you provide information of this massive latin migration to the north.

You can't, it doesn't exist.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 22:53
"It appears. It also appears as "Empire of Bulgars" or "Tsar Blgarom". :)"

Later on it does gravitate more toward the Bulgar aspect. I'm not argueing that.

"This is wrong point."

Nu-hu!

See when you make a statement like "this is wrong" and don't back it up I can refute it pretty much with an equivilant "nu-hu" and we get no where.

"Suddenly they became large enough to change population south of Danube. Ah those cheeky Slavs! LOL"

Because the Serbs migrated in a different pattern then the other Slavs. They were invited to defend against the Avars. While the Slavs in Thrace did the usual barbarian migration thing. So the former melted in with the population while the latter killed/melted into the population.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 23:20

Nu-hu!

My "nu-hu" was already explained many times. Just for you I will repeate it again:
1. Untill arrival of Slavs we see many signs of Thracian culture in addition to clear signs of adoption of Greco-Roman culture. These include for example Thracian Hero made in canons different from that done by Greeks.
2. Untill arrival of Slavs there were inscriptions with Thracian names which shows that Romanisation/Hellenisation of  Thracians was never complete.
3. Linguistic analysis of Bulgarian, Albanian and Romanian shows common features that are not shared by Latin, Greek or Slavonic (other than south slavonic) languges. This and some other analysis of Balkan toponyms show co-existance of Slavonic, Thracian/Illirian, Greek and Latin languages. The level of his coexistance cannot be low as this caused massive changes of the grammar of south slavonic languages.
4. Genetic analysis shows more similarities with Greeks, Romanians and Balkan Slavs rather than other Slavs (e.g. Poles or Russians) which would be logical ig there would be a situation of extermination of locals as you wish to be.
5. Now customs. Take a look at your customs that you believe to be of local origin and you will find most of them in BG. Parallel between modern and ancient culture that you have shown earler in this thread for Romanian can be shown for Bulgarian or Serbian cultures.
6. Archeological analysis show continuity of burrial customs in southern Bulgaria since any possible hellenization-romanization. For instance well known for Greeks but also Thracians custom to put a coin in the mouth of a dead person. It disappeared in BG at around end of 19th century. Now it is present only in Greek population in Bulgaria. Many other Thracian customs are still persisted as I show. Like a celebration called "German" for instance.
7. Archeological evidences initially believed to show massive slavonic migration  are now questioned by for instance Romanian archeologist Florin Curta. See his book "Making of Slavs".
8. Close to the time of arrival of Slavs there was a translation of a Bible to Thracian language (Biblia Bessika). If most of Thracians were romanized/hellenized there would be no need to translate it.
9. Language of Bessi was mentioned for the last time in 7th century.
10. Language of Thracians was mentioned by John the Lydian. Thracians (not as a geographic term) can be met by Procopius, John the Lydian and John Malala -- time of arrival of Slavs.
11. Mix of locals with upcoming tribes is mentioned several times in sources. I shall not anymore offer you to learn who is Kuber Smile 

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 23:22

ecause the Serbs migrated in a different pattern then the other Slavs. They were invited to defend against the Avars. While the Slavs in Thrace did the usual barbarian migration thing. So the former melted in with the population while the latter killed/melted into the population.

Nu-hu! LOL
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 23:31

First off there is no chronicle ever mentioning a migration from the south, ever.

do you see any chronicle mentioning a migration of the Gypsies north of the Danube?
Do you see Gypsies north of Danube?
If no migration is mentioned, how did the Gypsy came to being north of Danube?
Were they spread during spring time by bees?

As you see, small groups of people can move wherever and nobody mentions them.

But the documents mention many such kind of population transfer.
For example, during Vlaicu Voievod the documents mentions a huge population
transfer from Bulgaria north of the Danube in the area between the river Prahova
and Olt.

During the time of Vlad Tepes, more than 20 000 gypsies are bought by the voievod
from Bulgaria.

The truth is that many such kind of population resettlements were mentioned at various
times by overlords who spoke Bulgarian, who were transforming the country north of
the Danube into a productive place.

The same thing did the Hungarian overlords earlier.

Secondly i've shown you through out the years (not every year, but show me a people you can do this for) of their existance.

Thirdly, I've shown you accounts from other people, opinions of historicans, politicians, religious figures, chronics from Persia to Italy of who the Romanians are.

You didn't show me anything. I showed you that your list of sites is mainly focused on the 3th century.
The various quotations you made are more complex for you to understand, and I really lose
my patience to explain your fallacies.

Many so called "proofs" you provided, are of the same kind the Bulgarians  or the
Maghyar provide to prove some fictitious heritage.

You can't, it doesn't exist.

It is really difficult to talk with someone who is indoctrinated.
But if I don't loose interest in this forum I will provide you with a lot of information.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 00:10
Anton: You seem to be confused. Romanized Thracian does NOT mean that the Thracians completely forget their original herigate. Simply that there is a Roman influence on it. The rest of your points I really don't disagree with. Just keep THAT in mind. Romanized Thracian does not mean that they forget their Thracian culture. What I am disputing is that the Bulgars somehow managed to find Thracians completely unaltered by the Romans and the Bulgars mixed with those Thracians.

"do you see any chronicle mentioning a migration of the Gypsies north of the Danube?
Do you see Gypsies north of Danube?
If no migration is mentioned, how did the Gypsy came to being north of Danube?
Were they spread during spring time by bees?

As you see, small groups of people can move wherever and nobody mentions them."

Romanians aren't a "small group of people" they are the largest single ethnic group in the Balkans. Larger then Greeks, Bulgarians, Serbs, Albanians, Croatians etc. And yes gypsies are mentioned through history migrating. To deny this is ludacris.

"But the documents mention many such kind of population transfer.
For example, during Vlaicu Voievod the documents mentions a huge population
transfer from Bulgaria north of the Danube in the area between the river Prahova
and Olt."

How many? What year? Even so this doesn't explain your theory of how Romanians actually migrated from the south. This would be a large migration matched only by the Slavs, and it would have taken part within the Byzantine Empire. Yet no Byzantine chronicle mentions such a migration.

"The truth is that many such kind of population resettlements were mentioned at various
times by overlords who spoke Bulgarian, who were transforming the country north of
the Danube into a productive place.

The same thing did the Hungarian overlords earlier."

Right right the Hungarians managed to buy so many Romanians from the south of the danube that they made an entire new country. Now i've heard it all.

"You didn't show me anything. I showed you that your list of sites is mainly focused on the 3th century."

Sites showed from 3rd to 9th century. And then you asked for something for every individual year. This isn't even logical.

"The various quotations you made are more complex for you to understand, and I really lose my patience to explain your fallacies."

LOL okay. The Persians and Turkics mention a nation of Vlachs north of the danube out numbering the Hungarians in Transilvania in the 800s and later and i don't know how to read it. Sorry you are losing your patience, but I don't think it is due to anything other then your frustration that the facts don't match up to your fallacy.

"It is really difficult to talk with someone who is indoctrinated."

Indoctrinated by who? I grew up in America. So this is what I Get. I give you proof and all you can do is throw your arms up in the air and say how you don't have patience and how supposedly i'm indoctrinated.
"But if I don't loose interest in this forum I will provide you with a lot of information."

I'm still waiting for ANY information let alone a lot.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 00:45

Anton: You seem to be confused. Romanized Thracian does NOT mean that the Thracians completely forget their original herigate. Simply that there is a Roman influence on it. The rest of your points I really don't disagree with. Just keep THAT in mind. Romanized Thracian does not mean that they forget their Thracian culture. What I am disputing is that the Bulgars somehow managed to find Thracians completely unaltered by the Romans and the Bulgars mixed with those Thracians.

Then we didn't understand each other. Assimilation for me means lose of own language and adoption of other culture. It would be unreasonable to deny influence of Greco-Roman culture on local population. Yet, few posts ago you seem to deny signifficant local component in Balkan Slavs ethnogenesis claiming it is mostly Vlachs who have it. Smile   
We continue offtop discussion. It is not related to Romanian identity in late medieval times.
schiau View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote schiau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 01:06

LOL okay. The Persians and Turkics mention a nation of Vlachs north of the danube out numbering the Hungarians in Transilvania in the 800s and later and i don't know how to read it. Sorry you are losing your patience, but I don't think it is due to anything other then your frustration that the facts don't match up to your fallacy.

I am losing the patience because you recite propaganda from Romanian sites, without
being able to quote the proper sources, without understanding that those sites repeat
the same nationalistic propaganda.

Let me give you an example, regarding the Persian sources you mentioned.
The Persian author is Gardīzī'. He metions two peoples:  V.n.nd.r/N.nd.r and M.rdāt.

Your Romanian nationalists claim that V.n..nd.r or sometimes written as N.nd.r are the Vlahs.

First of all I don't see any Vlah among those words. Secondly these V.n.nd.r are
the N.nd.r, the Danubian Bulgars for which there is alo the spelling:
W(u)ł(u)ndur Bułkar,
or
Wunundur, or Wulundur.
Therefore,
V.n.nd.r is read Vunundur which sounds similar to Onoghundur (a Bulgarian tribe).

Another interpretation is that N.nd.r is the Hungarian Nandor, which means the same thing, Bulgar.
In Maghyar,
Nándor Fejérvár means Belgrad

USA educated people don't swallow all the Romanian nationalistic nonsense like you are doing.

Whenever I have time I will show you that most of your statements are bullshit Romanian nationalistic
propaganda.

Edited by schiau - 13-Jun-2008 at 01:06
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 01:06
I believe the Slavic people in the Balkans all have an under layer of Thracian in them. No doubt. Thracians were the 2nd most nemerous people on earth according to Herdotus. And the Carpathian Danubian space provided a craddle of civilization to these people and a few others.

As for the Vlachs having most of it, well Vlach is a slavic word for latinesque people of the Balkans. It goes for Daco-Romanians, Aromanians, Menglo-Romanians, and Istro-Romanians. Though each of these people have different variations of the language they are to a high degree understandable between each other. The latinesque people of the Balkans were the (Romanized) Thracians. Romanized meaning with a Roman influence and/or mixture. Those people are the Romanians today plus some slavic elements. The Bulgarians on the other hand are Thracians but to a lesser cultural, linguistic and genetic degree as are the Serbs and Croats (specifically Illyrians). On the cultural level the Bulgarians are somewhat less Thracian. On a linguistic level i'd say the differences are more dramatic. On a genetic level who knows. What we do know though is that the slavic influence must have been heavier in Bulgaria then in Romania. In any case we can not ignore the heavy slavic or the Bulgar element.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 01:11
"I am losing the patience because you recite propaganda from Romanian sites, without
being able to quote the proper sources, without understanding that those sites repeat
the same nationalistic propaganda."

I'm not quoting any Romanian sites. You can't deny those chronicles or quotes. Are you saying they are made up lies and fabrications? The quotes that is?

"Let me give you an example, regarding the Persian sources you mentioned.
The Persian author is Gardīzī'. He metions two peoples:  V.n.nd.r/N.nd.r and M.rdāt.

Your Romanian nationalists claim that V.n..nd.r or sometimes written as N.nd.r are the Vlahs.

First of all I don't see any Vlah among those words. Secondly these V.n.nd.r are
W(u)ł(u)ndur Bułkar,
or
Wunundur, or Wulundur.
Therefore,
V.n.nd.r is read Vunundur which sounds similar to Onoghundur (a Bulgarian tribe).

Another interpretation is that N.nd.r is the Hungarian Nandor, which means the same thing, Bulgar.
In Maghyar,
Nándor Fejérvár means Belgrad"

Maybe "Vlah" wasn't used directly because they weren't slavs. Each nation as their own variant of the word. Vlasi, Olah, Valah etc. In any case Magyars weren't in Transilvania in the 800s.

"USA educated people don't swallow all the Romanian nationalistic nonsense like you are doing."

I've been in America since I was 7. You calling my facts nationalistic non sense doesn't make it so. I wonder though where are you from by the way? Have you found some patch of grass to grow up on that shines sunlight of wisedom and unpartiality that gives you the right to speak with everyone in the manner that you do?
"Whenever I have time I will show you that most of your statements are bullshit Romanian nationalistic propaganda."

Well you seem to have time now because you're using it all to make lame comments like that and swearing. In any case i won't hold my breath.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 09:28
The Bulgarians on the other hand are Thracians but to a lesser cultural, linguistic and genetic degree as are the Serbs and Croats (specifically Illyrians).
And I suppose  main reason for that is less territorial claims between Romania and Serbia :)
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 13:05
Originally posted by schiau

I am losing the patience because you recite propaganda from Romanian sites, without
the same nationalistic propaganda.

Let me give you an example, regarding the Persian sources you mentioned.

W(u)ł(u)ndur Bułkar,
or
Wunundur, or Wulundur.
Therefore,

In Maghyar,
Nándor Fejérvár means Belgrad

USA educated people don't swallow all the Romanian nationalistic nonsense like you are doing.

Whenever I have time I will show you that most of your statements are bullshit Romanian nationalistic
propaganda.

Fane, why you are not correct, to tell all about those chronicles ( "Hudud al Alim" and the one of Gardizi in Zayn al Achbar ) ? First, its said there that those teritory is inhabited by a christian peoples coming "az Rum", meaning "from Roman Empire", who is even more numerous then people of Rum ( here with meaning of Eastern Roman Empire / Byzantine, at that moment ), so your interpretation is silly, what you want to say, that hungarian tribes ( pagans at that time ) was some christians who comes from Rome ? And "Oguzname" chronicle ( Anals of khan Oguz from XI cen ) refer to countries as : Urus ( of varego-russians ), Ulak ( of vlacks-romanians ), Magar ( of maghyars ) and Bascurd, and those related to events from IX century. As well, when they refered to hungarians, compared with ulaks-vlacks-romanians, he say were those peoples was ( hungarians between Nipru and Don, then Nipru and Nistru rivers and romanians between Nipru, Black Sea and Morava ( Mirvit ). So please, spare us with your fantastic interpretation of history, and distorsionation of facts, maybe maybe will comes as you wish.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 17:37
All I said was that Bulgarians are as Thracian as the Serbs/Croats.
vladzo2 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote vladzo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2008 at 17:25
to wolf ::::::::::::::::::: the rest of your posting is made from too many different quotes, i perhaps you could learn to say more about less.

my replies are in your text as shown [[here]].

"there was never an ancient germanic laguage which did not derive from thracian (unless it was gothic or finno-ugrian). all the most ancient north central europeans were descended from danubian migrants. those danubians who remained on the danube became the thracians. [obviously someone who is V'lakh is in the legion.] there was an ancient danubian language which divided along cultural and economic differences long before the romans ever took control of their city from the etruscans. the three groups of dialects from the original danubian were;

[[ you wanted to claim that germanic did not derive from thracian. i believe that i have shown you that the peoples whom the latins once called "german" are migrants from the thracians, or from the same people who later became thracians. you seem to believe that some of the barbarian tribes were german, and some were not. that is not realy the case. the latins called all the people east of the rhine and north of the danube "germani barbari" the most barbarian, the most pertinent to barbarism. the words 'german' and 'germaine' do derive from the same latin word. there were never any ancient people who ever named themselves "german".]]
I was speaking of the term Vlach itself. It is derived from Germanic meaning latin speaker. "Germans" may have migrated from the Danubian space many years ago as the ice caps melted but i'm speaking of the Germanic migrants tribes.

Slavs and Thracians are two different groups. One did not come out of the other unless you are refering "way back when" but at that point we might as well just discuss about how we all come from the same source. Does nothing for this discussion.

[[ the slavs and thracians as as much two different groups as the latins and the french, or the latins and the spanish. the slavs and the other ancient barbarians (whom the romans called german) originate from the early thracians, or early illyrians. we are always refering to "way back when" whenever we refer to descent languages from language groups.]]

perhaps you want to discuss who were the deutsch (please note that is not germans, it is a modern name) and who were the slovaks.

the slovaks like to say that they have no history because they never did anything wrong. the deutsch originate as the child prisoners which charlemagne took from the avars. that is to say they were the avar children, mostly boys, saved at the time of the destruction of the avar horde. (at balaton) the danube bulgars (also the christian bulgars) took most of the girls and placed them with slavic villiages in makadonia. the boys (as were the girls) were from either the avars, or from their prisoners; and they were given to lothar son of charlemagne. lothar raised them, yes, there were hundreds, with the help of latin speaking roman rite priests. they were raised to be soldiers for lothar, the start of west european knighthood. then their descendents, yes, there were thousands, became the kings knights when otto became the first king of the deutsch. these knights settled all over the new roman empire and as they assimilated among the other peoples in central europe, they remained the dominant ethnic group. they were the first deutsch, and this time you may say that they did not descend from the thracians. but, perhaps you would prefer to claim thracians.

vlad

Edited by vladzo2 - 14-Jun-2008 at 17:26
vladzo2 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote vladzo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2008 at 17:38

All I said was that Bulgarians are as Thracian as the Serbs/Croats.

to wolf :::::::::::::::::::

you are both right and wrong.

the original dominant warrior class of the bulgars were turkic people from the volga. but their subject agragian class were from the thracians who had become slavic. the original warrior class bulgars later assimilated both slavic or wallacian or turkic people, and they became almost totaly slavic in speech, because old church slavonic was their language of prayer. however, they did remain as a seperate warrior class, untill a particular war when the byzantines and the magyars destroyed the bulgar army. it was the origin of the story about the "land of the blind where the one eyed is king". yes, only the captured king and a few nobles were left with one eye; the rest of the captured army were blinded and told to go home by following their king. very few ever found their way home, most were eaten by wolves. after that all the danubian land became byzantine. many more years later, a new class took control of that part of ancient thrace which had been called bulgaria. these were purely slavic people who were (and still are) the same as the serbians. but they do not want to believe it.

more later, vlad
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2008 at 17:49
[[ you wanted to claim that germanic did not derive from thracian. i believe that i have shown you that the peoples whom the latins once called "german" are migrants from the thracians, or from the same people who later became thracians. you seem to believe that some of the barbarian tribes were german, and some were not. that is not realy the case. the latins called all the people east of the rhine and north of the danube "germani barbari" the most barbarian, the most pertinent to barbarism. the words 'german' and 'germaine' do derive from the same latin word. there were never any ancient people who ever named themselves "german".]]

You are quoting something I didn't say. :p

"[[ the slavs and thracians as as much two different groups as the latins and the french, or the latins and the spanish. the slavs and the other ancient barbarians (whom the romans called german) originate from the early thracians, or early illyrians. we are always refering to "way back when" whenever we refer to descent languages from language groups.]] "

No i'm sorry no one really belives the slavs and thracians are the same thing. This is a fantasy history. Slavs came from the east. Thracians had been in the region before hand.

"the slovaks like to say that they have no history because they never did anything wrong. the deutsch originate as the child prisoners which charlemagne took from the avars. that is to say they were the avar children, mostly boys, saved at the time of the destruction of the avar horde. (at balaton) the danube bulgars (also the christian bulgars) took most of the girls and placed them with slavic villiages in makadonia. the boys (as were the girls) were from either the avars, or from their prisoners; and they were given to lothar son of charlemagne. lothar raised them, yes, there were hundreds, with the help of latin speaking roman rite priests. they were raised to be soldiers for lothar, the start of west european knighthood. then their descendents, yes, there were thousands, became the kings knights when otto became the first king of the deutsch. these knights settled all over the new roman empire and as they assimilated among the other peoples in central europe, they remained the dominant ethnic group. they were the first deutsch, and this time you may say that they did not descend from the thracians. but, perhaps you would prefer to claim thracians. "

? I don't see the point you are trying to make an I doubt it is accurate either way. =/

"you are both right and wrong."

How so?

"the original dominant warrior class of the bulgars were turkic people from the volga. but their subject agragian class were from the thracians who had become slavic. the original warrior class bulgars later assimilated both slavic or wallacian or turkic people, and they became almost totaly slavic in speech, because old church slavonic was their language of prayer. however, they did remain as a seperate warrior class, untill a particular war when the byzantines and the magyars destroyed the bulgar army. it was the origin of the story about the "land of the blind where the one eyed is king". yes, only the captured king and a few nobles were left with one eye; the rest of the captured army were blinded and told to go home by following their king. very few ever found their way home, most were eaten by wolves. after that all the danubian land became byzantine. many more years later, a new class took control of that part of ancient thrace which had been called bulgaria. these were purely slavic people who were (and still are) the same as the serbians. but they do not want to believe it. "

Heh I don't think ALL the bulgars were captured and I don't think that they refrained from mixing at all with the rest of the population. But yea i'd say the Bulgarians are more slavic then Bulgar now a days.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 09:53
Originally posted by schiau

If you want to prove the assertion that north of Danube, the Daco-Romans lived
continuously during 272-1000, pay attention, that time gaps are not allowed.
Therefore, your task is to prove for each year from 272-1000 with documents
and archaeological sites the continuous existence of a Daco-Roman population.

Assume that you are able to prove this with various archeological sites (you can't, because
they don't exist). But , how do you  prove that the population bearing a culture you claim
to be Daco-Roman, spoke actually a proto-Romanian language?
Nice to see this thread getting so heated.
According to you, it seems that only direct evidence is needed to prove something. Get you hand on the nearest electron and send it to me by mail. Oh, wait, you can't do that. Actually you can't have a direct proof of an electron because these things are proved bsed on predictions in scientific theory.
Get real, man! While there are, for sure, a lot of nationalistic versions of Romanian history, there are a lot of other assumptions about how our people formed. The "time-gap" you're so fond with cannot be inspected so indirect evidence is brought up to support various theories.
Anyway, you should know that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".
Good show, all of you!
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 16:37

Guys,

This thread was about Romanian ethnic identity and language in Early Modern age. I don't mind (even longer) parantheses, nor moving few centuries behind to get a better grasp on the phenomena, but it seems to me that you have already a new discussion focused on something else than this thread's initial topic. Please move it in an appropriate thread and sub-forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>