Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Hang Arab Children": Israeli Rabbi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Hang Arab Children": Israeli Rabbi
    Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 14:18

Safed chief rabbi calls on state to exact 'revenge' against Arabs

By Nadav Shragai, Jack Khoury, and Yoav Stern, Haaretz Correspondents

The chief rabbi of Safed, Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu, is calling on the government to carry out "state-sanctioned revenge" against Arabs in order to, in his words, restore Israel's deterrence.

The Musawa Center for Arab Rights in Israel said it planned to urge the Attorney General to censure Eliyahu over the comments and punish him "at the fullest severity of the law."

In a piece penned for this upcoming weekend's edition of the newsletter "Eretz Yisrael Shelanu," Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu wrote: "It's time to call the child by its name: Revenge, revenge, revenge. We mustn't forget. We have to take horrible revenge for the terrorist attack at Mercaz Harav yeshiva," referring to the incident in which eight students were killed earlier this month.

Advertisement

"I'm not talking about individual people in particular, I'm talking about the state," Eliyahu wrote. "[The state] has to pain them to the point where they scream 'Enough,' to the point where they fall flat on their face and scream 'help.' Not for the sake of satisfying the need for revenge but for the purposes of deterrence."

In the newsletter, which was distributed to synagogues around the country, Eliyahu proposes "hanging the children of the terrorist who carried out the attack in the Mercaz Harav yeshiva from a tree."

"Two weeks have passed since the attack and we haven't heard of any retaliatory operations by Israel," the Safed chief rabbi wrote. "Something is amiss among the decision makers at the top. At one time, this was a basic component of Israel's policy. Every operation by the 'fedayeen' - the prior name used to describe terrorists - would bring a painful response. Today, they have forgotten the meaning of 'deterrence force'. The IDF's capacity for deterrence is gone."

The rabbi added that he "already sees all the bleeding hearts clicking their tongues, moving uncomfortably in their chairs, contorting their faces at this display of 'depravity' and beginning to spout their slogans. 'Barbaric.' 'Amoral.' 'Inciter' and the rest of the usual words that are frequently blurted out from their mouths. Don't pay them any mind. With their way of doing things, there won't be a state here in another 30 years. They've already taken the trouble to arrange foreign passports for their children. We'll stay here. We need to live with those who understand very well the language of revenge."

Activists at Musawa pointed to prior statements in which the rabbi made statements which were viewed as problematic by the Arab community.

"This isn't the first time the rabbi from Safed incites against Arabs," a Musawa spokesperson said. "In 2004, Eliyahu gave a radio interview in which he called on homeowners neither to rent out their homes nor sell their homes to Arabs."

The activist also accused the attorney general of being too selective in enforcing laws against expressions of racism and incitement.

"Whenever Mazuz receives a complaint about an instance of incitement and racism, he defends the freedom of expression for the Jewish inciters while, on the other hand, hands down an indictment against [the head of the northern branch of the Islamic Movement] Sheikh Ra'ad Salah," the activist said. "Calls to torture and take revenge against Arabs are incitement to racism and violence, and we expect the justice system to act and crack down on the phenomena that lead to violence."

The head of Young Meretz, Uri Zachi, urged Mazuz to investigate the rabbi and to prohibit the disseminating of the newsletter "Eretz Yisrael Shelanu."

Officials in the Reform Movement also issued harsh condemnations in response to Eliyahu's statements.

"Jewish history is rife with extremists whose fanaticism brought disasters upon the nation while sullying its moral character," Rabbi Gilad Kariv said. "It would be best if the concept of revenge, as opposed to the concept of deterrence, would be a foreign one to the state of Israel as a democratic state of law and as the state of the Jewish people. Rabbi Eliyahu's comments are further proof of the attorney general's serious error in deciding to retract an indictment against Rabbi Eliyahu for incitement to racism in exchange for a shady apology."

http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/968729.html

and it seems that unfortunatly many of the readers agree with him. A sentiment that has been seen in many places including here. If it had been reversed and it had been an Arab imam, then there would have been a global outcry (and rightly so). But then all people are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 17:07
A sentiment that has been seen in many places including here

Can I ask where?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 17:12
You have'nt read the cartoon thread have you? Enough sentiments to go around from all angles. And by the way, that sentence was what you found most objectionalble from in the whole post?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 17:26
He has a right to say it just like the Imams do. He doesn't have the right to go out and kill people. Also he is urging the STATE to take revenge not individuals, that's the big difference between the Rabbi and the Imam.

I have read the cartoon thread, Sparten, and I pose the same question as Parnell: where is this sentiment here (on AE)? I haven't seen anybody even imply that killing arabs or muslims is ok. In fact I haven't seen anybody condone killing on this site.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 17:48
In other word he is right to call for hanging children for being Arabs, or what there parents allegedly did. Even more interesting. And yes, calling for the state to do it makes it so much better.

QED.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 19:12
The guy is from the official establishment, he called for settlers, that is indivisual Israeli citizens who live on stolen Palestinian property, to take arms, is this what you were looking for King John?

Al-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 19:17
No, no come on Al Jassas, its only Arab Children after all.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 19:26
Reuters
Israeli official warns Palestinians of "shoah"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 19:43

read post no 6.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 21:20
Originally posted by Sparten

In other word he is right to call for hanging children for being Arabs, or what there parents allegedly did. Even more interesting. And yes, calling for the state to do it makes it so much better.

QED.

Who said he was right, I didn't. I said he has a right to say it. There is a big difference between having a right to say something and saying something right.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 22:16
Originally posted by Sparten

You have'nt read the cartoon thread have you? Enough sentiments to go around from all angles. And by the way, that sentence was what you found most objectionalble from in the whole post?

I was heavily involved in the cartoon thread, I even posted the cartoon in the thread before it was taken down. From what I remember the conversation amounted to; 'I hate the cartoons, they mock me and my people' and the rebuttal was mainly, 'they are freaking cartoons. Grow a pair and get over it'.

Don't remember anyone advocating the murder of children, Arab or otherwise so quit spouting that drivel.

Edited by Parnell - 28-Mar-2008 at 22:16
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 00:43
Originally posted by Al Jassas

The guy is from the official establishment, he called for settlers, that is indivisualIsraeli citizens who live on stolen Palestinian property, to take arms, is this what you were looking for King John?

Al-Jassas

I'm sorry Al-Jassas, but where in that article/editorial does the Rabbi call for individual citizens to take up arms? I have read it and re-read it and the only time he mentions individual action is to say: "I'm NOT talking about individual people in particular, I'm talking about the state," Eliyahu wrote. "[The state] has to pain them to the point where they scream 'Enough,' to the point where they fall flat on their face and scream 'help.' Not for the sake of satisfying the need for revenge but for the purposes of deterrence."

Could you provide a cite from the article/editorial above where Eliyahu explicitily calls for individual action? Where does he talk about settlers taking arms, in this article?

What political position does Rabbi Eliyahu hold in the Israeli government?
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 05:56
Today, they have forgotten the meaning of 'deterrence force'. The IDF's capacity for deterrence is gone.

Yea.....looks like he missed the 2 weeks before when 150 died from shelling in gaza.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 06:04
Again, Parnell, King John, and Super Goat, seem to find thing other than the call for children to be hanged as objectionable.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 12:48
Piss off and stop acting like a troll.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 12:49
PS- Get over the persecution complex.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 13:18

Why would I have a persecution complex when I am not an Arab. You can;t being yourself to condemn call for little children to be hanged. Well holding such an opinion or not holding one is your right as is it mine to say that I feel those who justify it as being in the wrong.

Piss off and stop acting like a troll.

My advise, save your energy. I am supremely disinterested in your analogies and not particulary impressed by your command of language.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 13:52
You suggested we (By which I presume you mean the big bad westerners who defend the cartoons) have opinions that somehow support the hanging of Arab children. That suggestion is in my eyes too objectionable to begin to even think about refuting. I know your not Arab BTW.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 14:13

And I can add your presumptions to the list of things I am not particularly impressed with. I never said anything about "westerners" at all, or easteners or northerners or southerners you are merely putting words in my mouth. I merely noted that you and two others had commented on things other than the rabbis suggestion, which I found rather strange, after all it is a controversial suggestion, it is reasonable to presume that most people would have an opinion on that, one way or another. I don't know whether you are against the suggestion...............or you are for it. You have made no comment on it either way, the most recent being "That suggestion is in my eyes too objectionable to begin to even think about refuting" which is once again gives no indication as to your opinion, rather accuses me of a suggestion which I did not make.

Shall I put you down as "undecided"? Not wishing to express your opinion is your right also.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 14:28
Of course I completely reject. What right thinking man wouldn't? What I strongly object to, and something which you haven't been able to prove, is that such attitudes exist on Allempires, something which I don't believe for a second.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>