Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Riots in Tibet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riots in Tibet
    Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 00:59
Originally posted by The Charioteer

Originally posted by Leonidas

this is a fantastic example of Chinese hysteria over the western media 'hysteria ' vis vis Tibet. ..

your irrational and irresponsible

May i remind Its the German author Bernhard Ganter who claimed German medias "hysteria" over issues related to China.

But instead of responding to Bernhard Ganter's opinion where one will notice the original mention of the word "hysteria" , you discover William Barratt's supposedly "biased" piece in which he only noted "inaccurate report" instead of the notion "hysteria" like Ganter did, but somehow you would convince yourself that William Barratt's such response is not only "biased" but it is "a fantastic example of Chinese hysteria over the western media " while the Chinese have actually nothing to do with both of them.
all such selections are ironic (freedom of press) and besides the point. so far all you have done and what the Chinese media (CCP mouth piece) have done is bitch about the western media, no one has talked about any issues about Tibetan rights, or any failures of CCP policy pertaining to the minority rights or regional 'development'.

Apart from acting as a smoke screen, not once have you (or the CCP) addressed the Tibetan point of view, this is just typical xenophobic 'the west is out to get us' type of stuff, typical of your posts. You and it seems people within the PRC see our reporting as 'anti-Chinese' when in fact it just doesn't toe the line in constructed Chinese 'truths' about the issue, we don't subscribe to CCP propaganda.

and Bernhard Ganter, why just cherry pick him? why not do a broad sweep of all their opinions and tally it up.

as for why opinions like Bernhard Ganter's piece is from Chinese media instead of German media i think the answer is given by the author in his own aritcle because German medias wouldnt published them.
yes its a big conspiracy. some one that shares the CCP view of the world doesn't get published for whatever reason you dont really know, mouths off to PRC sources and bang he gets coverage. More proof of western bias, hmm tells me more about CCP sponsored media than the German side.

Originally posted by Leonidas

and you said 'some German' intellectuals , so can you please list the others

actually i already did, your just as blind as ever
no you haven't listed German intellectuals, just one and some other German sources. C'mon you can do better than that.

thats more than one source mentioning reports by German medias on "Tibet riot" were inaccurate and biased. Ive also heard from Chinese friend who live in Germany about some Germans who voiced similar thing.
yeah and my freind taught English to the PLA cadres for a year and told me much about his experiance of chinese anti-western paranoia. ever been watched and followed when you leave you house every time because your Asian Charioteer? This could explain the CCP focus on our media rather than their minorities.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 01:20
Chinese censorship balances western media's disinformation I suppose.
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 01:41
Please stop some assumptions here.

1) German media aplogized give them a break.
2) The Chinese media DID admit violence AND gave Tibetan viewpoints, though as expected these are heavily pro-gov. But then again the Tibetan viewpoints in western media differs. But to discount any stance just b/c of the source of these viewpoints means you already have a preconceived bias. Give a little slack to both sides.

As a Chinese guy I'm really pissed at how anytime we even hint at defending ourselves we are set as "CCP mindpieces" or "brainwashed". And I can imagine how westerners would get pissed if we call them brainwashed as well, b/c it's not just a one way mud throwing. What we all need to do is cool down.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 01:45
The Olympic torch bearer is coming to San Francisco, California and the protesters are already ready. They have the right to protest but for me I would not want to face jail-time over this issue but that is their choice.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 05:33
Originally posted by Zagros

Chinese censorship balances western media's disinformation I suppose.
you have to be joking.

The Chinese dont let the foreign media in, stage manage everything for them to see - which would stilll be more than enough in 'balancing' the relatively minor mistakes pointed out in the reporting.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 05:48
Reletivly minor? Leo, the showed pics of Nepal protests and claimed it was Tibet.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 08:39
yep thats minor. the riots happened, there is footage of that and unrest elsewhere and it was used by almost all media correctly.

The wrong images to correct information is minor and the fact some (esp the CCP and their media) concertrate on this is purely smoke screen to the issues at hand.  It was not manipulation or a purposefull act that makes us believe anything other than the story at hand. Nor is absolutly no evidance of any colusion by media agencies/owners or buy the governements, which you woud need if this was to con the western population.

What happened in Nepal wasnt as bad as what happened in Lhasa, im sure the Tibetens shot dead  would of prefered to be beaten into a van and survive to tell the tale. Its a side issue, that has achieved its job in diverting the debate from human rights.

no one can compare these mistakes with what we see from the CCP mouth pieces and keep a straight face, hence why i think its a joke to make such comparisons.

Edited by Leonidas - 10-Apr-2008 at 08:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 09:08
Well yes, I mean they only got the wrong country. Minor  detail. Just like WWII was just a little skirmish and that Genghis Khan, what a kidder!
Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 09:35
Leo, I hate to ask this sort of question... but how do you confirm that the reports from Tibetan government is 100% correct, while the reports from Xinhua is 100% false?

Edited by Dream208 - 10-Apr-2008 at 12:01
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 11:10
Because one is the big bad Han Sino Dragon, the other are poor cute monks.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 18:33
one is an authocracy that is known for censorship and the other is not.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 18:44
Are you allowed satellite dishes in China? I'm asking because if you set one up you can easily view Tv channels from most countries in the world. Does the average Chinese person have access to foreign medias?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 19:59
Bulldog:

The situation is like this... most of my friends from mainland China, if they wanted to access to any blocked information, there are thousands of sites teaching you means to get around the government firewall.

The average Chinese population is no more ignorant or (brainwashed) than the average Westerners who couldn't point out Tibet from Australia on the map.
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 23:56
Thanks to romanticization by Hollywood and Steven Segal, Richard Gere. Everybody in the West now thinks Tibetan is as tame as sheep and Tibet was a Utopia before the invasion of the Evil Chinese.
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 00:16
Truely, Tibetans are no more than other humans.

Why they are a cause for headlines and Palestinians or Congolese arent is anyones guess.

Edited by Mughaal - 11-Apr-2008 at 02:11
Mughal e Azam
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 00:21
Besides, let face it. If China hadn't conquered Tibet, India/British Empire probably would have. Or even more likely, there would be a 3 way civil war between Chinese backed Maoists, Indian backed democratists, and Western backed Lhamists
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 01:03
Originally posted by Mughaal

Truely, Tibetans are no more than other humans.

But my personal opinion is that it gives the Westerners a chance to harangue others instead of themselves. Like a "look, they abuse people too!" kind of deal.

Its sort of an outlet for them. While the Palestinian issue may be so many times worse (greatest refugee population in the world, kicked out of their homes by the British Empire) and 1,000,000 lie dead combined in Afghanistan and Iraq, Yemen, Pakistan, Syria, etc - it is the result of Western actions.

Now the Westerners get to highlight someone else's shortcomings for a change. And they are willing to make a big show for it.

Very true. Since they were the creator of Jewish state, The West turn a blind eye to Palestinian issue and Media besides Al-Jazeera rarely report any suffering of Palestinian and unilaterally portray the Palestinian as someone who can't to blow themselves up.  No wonder Israel have the license to kill anyone they want without conerning of any condemnation.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2008 at 01:40
Originally posted by Sparten

Well yes, I mean they only got the wrong country. Minor  detail. Just like WWII was just a little skirmish and that Genghis Khan, what a kidder!
that doesnt really answer how showing nepalese footage makes the PRC look worse than showing tibetan footage, or prove the claims this was a result of manipluation vs sloppy reporting, nor does it come even close to why forumers are towing a CCP logic that groups western media from around the world, be it sensationalist to serious, as one.

this media bashing is a laughable answer that ultimatley can only go a very short distance in explaining what we have read in the reports about Tibet human rights abuse.

Originally posted by Sparten

Because one is the big bad Han Sino Dragon, the other are poor cute monks.
i dont subsribe to either generalisations. but  take a look at how they are made by the CCP side. Daily Chinese news at its best

big bad dalia 'clique' vs the good and peaceful PRC... no this is funny

"The 'Tibetan People's Uprising Movement' plotted by the Dalai clique is intended to sabotage the peaceful, stable and unified social situation in China and use the Olympic Games to put pressure on the Chinese government, thus achieving their political aims," a spokesman with the Ministry of Public Security said.

Originally posted by Dream208

Leo, I hate to ask this sort of question... but how do you confirm that the reports from Tibetan government is 100% correct, while the reports from Xinhua is 100% false?
Temijiun answered that quite well.

firstly, most of the reports do not come from the tibetan gov (they make claims), many are by seroius journalist (many who are quite informed and experianced in the PRC). When they source stuff from the tibetan or PRC channels they state where they get it from. Claims that the Han victims were not reported is false, every well written article states both claims and all reported victims (if confirmed or not). As for PRC media.....

Edited by Leonidas - 11-Apr-2008 at 02:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678