Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Riots in Tibet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riots in Tibet
    Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by Sparten

Originally posted by Leonidas

thats like 'all the best for isreali troops' in the west bank, but hey isreali's are native by your logic and therefore such behavior completely reasonableThumbs%20Down

This is the Chinese Army operating in Chinese Territory. That is the Israelites operating in occupied territory. Big diff. Incidentally, the army has'nt as yet been called out, the police are handling it. If this was a commonwealth country there would have the army out now.

Could You please explain why Tibet is Chinese territory and Palestine occupied territory. As far as i know both territories were taken with breaking international law and both are occupied.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 22:48

Actually , the largets number of migrants in Tibet are actually Ughur Muslims. Who seem to have been targeted especially.

So, Leo, tell me how many Aboriginal labguages do you speak?  How long do you have to live in an area to be a "native"?

All the best to the Chinese authorities in restoring order and safeguarding the lives and properties of people.

Actually, they are Hui i.e. Han muslims not Uighurs, they are complitely Chinese except the religion.
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 22:50
Originally posted by Majkes

Could You please explain why Tibet is Chinese territory and Palestine occupied territory. As far as i know both territories were taken with breaking international law and both are occupied.

As far as international law is concerned I don't think Tibet was ever recognized as an independent subject of international law in modern times.
Σαυρομάτης
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 00:03

I never understood why some groups get priority over others when it comes to such movements, the Uygurs in China hardly get any coverage in the West, the region they live in has been used for nuclear testing, prison labour camps and at least Tibet is still called Tibet, Eastern Turkistan was re-named "Xinjiang" province.

However, these are internal crisises of China, every country has its problems and critics. Its difficult to really know what is going on in Tibet everything is being kept hush hush.

What are the demands of the protesting Tibetians?

Edited by Bulldog - 16-Mar-2008 at 00:05
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 00:13
Originally posted by Zagros

This is all fine coming from the inhabitants of nations that had carte blanche in eras past to colonise, rape and pillage other countries to their heart's content and still do under  pretences of human rights and democracy.   The humanitarian Germans supplied Saddam with finished chemical weapons which they held onto from their Nazi past and they were foremost in stirring the ethnic troubles in Yugoslavia - show some outrage. 

Where can I get the money if "The Germans" supplied Saddam with gas? I haven't seen a cent! Did you ever count the weapons that US companies delivered to Saddam with the help of the government? I do not know what our government knew and what not, but a lot of these "German" help for Saddam was illegal as far as I know. It would be nice if you can differ between some criminal companies and the most of the German population. Not to go to war against Iraq was a very important factor for the elections in 2002. And the Germans aren't guilty of stirring ethnic troubles, too. Jugoslavia wasn't a succesful attempt. The nations decided to leave the serbian domination. Don't nations have the right to be independent?
So if the people in Tibet want to become free its their right. To defend China, for me is not to understand. Do you still remeber the massacre on the place of the heavenly peace. Was that a correct chinese reaction too? If you argue with Nazi past I don't know which mentality of us is closer to it.
Unfortunately I believe that the western world will not help Tibet. The economic interests are to great. Our governments will protest against it but nothing more. I don't know if a boycott of the Olympic games can help. I wonder at all why China received it. Here we again with the Nazis. They got the Olympic games as present too. Perhaps the people of the IOC should be chased away for their decisions. But I think if the chinese government has to decide between Tibet and Olympia they would chose the boycott.
By the way, if Tibet will ever become free and independent, I hope the people will have the chance to install a democratic government and do not change a pseudo-communist tyranny against an autocratic and theocratic monarchy.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 03:26
Originally posted by Temujin

The humanitarian Germans supplied Saddam with finished chemical weapons which they held onto from their Nazi past and they were foremost in stirring the ethnic troubles in Yugoslavia - show some outrage.

LOL where did you get that from? the Sun?

Not looked at the Sun for since I was 14 and that was for the titties on page 3.

The extent of German involvement in the proliferation of WMD to dictatorships is vast.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 03:28
Originally posted by Bulldog

I never understood why some groups get priority over others when it comes to such movements, the Uygurs in China hardly get any coverage in the West, the region they live in has been used for nuclear testing, prison labour camps and at least Tibet is still called Tibet, Eastern Turkistan was re-named "Xinjiang" province.

However, these are internal crisises of China, every country has its problems and critics. Its difficult to really know what is going on in Tibet everything is being kept hush hush.

What are the demands of the protesting Tibetians?

It's easy to understand.  Whatever most people like to think... the international agenda of mainstream western news agencies is very well decided by those countries' intelligence services. psyops 101.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 03:30
Originally posted by beorna

This is all fine coming from the inhabitants of nations that had carte blanche in eras past to colonise, rape and pillage other countries to their heart's content and still do under  pretences of human rights and democracy.   The humanitarian Germans supplied Saddam with finished chemical weapons which they held onto from their Nazi past and they were foremost in stirring the ethnic troubles in Yugoslavia - show some outrage. 

Where can I get the money if "The Germans" supplied Saddam with gas? I haven't seen a cent! Did you ever count the weapons that US companies delivered to Saddam with the help of the government? I do not know what our government knew and what not, but a lot of these "German" help for Saddam was illegal as far as I know. It would be nice if you can differ between some criminal companies and the most of the German population. Not to go to war against Iraq was a very important factor for the elections in 2002. And the Germans aren't guilty of stirring ethnic troubles, too. Jugoslavia wasn't a succesful attempt. The nations decided to leave the serbian domination. Don't nations have the right to be independent?
So if the people in Tibet want to become free its their right. To defend China, for me is not to understand. Do you still remeber the massacre on the place of the heavenly peace. Was that a correct chinese reaction too? If you argue with Nazi past I don't know which mentality of us is closer to it.
Unfortunately I believe that the western world will not help Tibet. The economic interests are to great. Our governments will protest against it but nothing more. I don't know if a boycott of the Olympic games can help. I wonder at all why China received it. Here we again with the Nazis. They got the Olympic games as present too. Perhaps the people of the IOC should be chased away for their decisions. But I think if the chinese government has to decide between Tibet and Olympia they would chose the boycott.
By the way, if Tibet will ever become free and independent, I hope the people will have the chance to install a democratic government and do not change a pseudo-communist tyranny against an autocratic and theocratic monarchy.

By Germans I refer to government and companies - but I wonder why I have never seen a German protest their crimes?
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 03:57
Originally posted by Spartakus

What is this? Whenever an article is brought about an Asian Country, European countries and, always, the USA are being accused off by members with specific orientation and of specific origin. Now, this is spamming. If you have any complaints about USA or Germany's behaviour, then be my guess and open a relevant topic. But do not spam in other topics. We talk about China here, not Iraq, Palestine ,Germany. Personally, i did not came to this topic to learn about Saddam and him being supplied by Western countries, but about China.

Its called politics. Its relevent.
Mughal e Azam
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 05:53
Originally posted by Sarmat12

As far as international law is concerned I don't think Tibet was ever recognized as an independent subject of international law in modern times.
correction, tibet has been recognized as Chinese territory, and was recognized as Chinese territory by the UN and other countries. Tibet was part of China before the revolution of 1912, when China lost territory pretty much all over. The Chinese succeeded in reestablishing control in 1951. In the interim Tibetr was recognized as being part of China by every nation in the world and that is still the case.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 06:59

correction, tibet has been recognized as Chinese territory, and was recognized as Chinese territory by the UN and other countries. Tibet was part of China before the revolution of 1912, when China lost territory pretty much all over. The Chinese succeeded in reestablishing control in 1951. In the interim Tibetr was recognized as being part of China by every nation in the world and that is still the case.

Dont mistake Manchu with Han china, they are not the same Chinese or even Chinese for that matter. They never had Tibet only the Manchus and Mongol Yuan dynasties had control of it.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 07:00

Tibet was independent country before 1950 when China took it. Saying Tibet was Chinese before 1912 is like saying Bulgaria was Turkey before 1914. So what? Does it have any significance that China mamnaged to occupy Tibet before 1912? Tibet was also independent before 1912 and after this date. I don't see any diffrence between occupied Palestine and Tibet. China is just bigger and stronger than Israel. You show double standards, Sparten. I know from other of Your posts that You believe that stronger is always right. I don't only understand why You exclude US and Israel from Your theory.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 07:11

Edit:
this video is of PRC border guards shooting Tibetan pilgrims on their way to see the Dalia lama. 'safeguarding the lives' as Spartan will call it.

Lol. My god Leo that was priceless! I don't know what was funnier, the guy hiding in that makeshift toilet (who incidentally, knew English) or the pilgrims deciding to make a journey through the worst mountains in the world, which are crawling with Chinese soldiers on one end, and Indians on the other, especially when Tibet is an autonomous region and travl with India is fairly easy, especially into Ladkak or NEFA. Or maybe it was the guy filiming from a kilometer telling us what happened.
are you suggesting that was fake? maybe using offical Chinese press for information was funny, but shooting pilgrims...

Tibet is autonomous in name only

It was under China's control. The other empires of that day; Russia and Britain didn't recognize china's sovereignty (only suzerainty), so its not a clear cut case as most Chinese would have you believe or as is stated above. Tibet had a functioning government under the Qing, after the Qing and it continues in exile now in India.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 07:25
Okay, an internal problem for a country to kill their own people cause they protest ?

Here it is like we had it so often before. Human rights, spurned by the authorities, noticed by a member at the forum, and some try to defend this deeds by proclaming the internal affairs.

Zargos even calls out a conspiracy of intellegence services.

Matter missed, like my old teacher Mr. Havelmann used to say.

I know, Seko will get  an anaphylactic reaction. Human rights are for all humans on this planet. There are human beings in Bagdad, Lhasa, Ohio or Hamburg.
Same humans , same rights.

Please spare us with trys of excuses for outbreaks of violence against people.

And i think the one who proclaims that this is an internal problem, has an internal problem himself. The problem to differ hurt vanity from impartial facts.

Tibet, anyway, is only one place of many others, where the human rights are ignored currently. Bagdad, Zagros, is another, and to record confidants or supporters is important,too.

But to apologise one injustice with another one cant be the right way.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 07:30
I don't know why Tibetian independence gets so much support when Uighur, Yunnani, Manchu, & Mongol does not.

China is running an imperialistic occupation of all those territories, those people have the right to revolt against Chinese rule, but the chinese also have the right to suppress those revolts.
I am neither in favour nor against Tibetan independence, it will happen eventually, at the next dynastic change in China.
I don't see any diffrence between occupied Palestine and Tibet.

Tibetians are allowed to live in Tibet. That is just being silly, China may be occupying Tibet but it isn't trying to ethnically cleanse Tibet.
tibet has been recognized as Chinese territory, and was recognized as Chinese territory by the UN and other countries. Tibet was part of China before the revolution of 1912, when China lost territory pretty much all over. The Chinese succeeded in reestablishing control in 1951. In the interim Tibetr was recognized as being part of China by every nation in the world and that is still the case.

Except for outer mongolia, Qing China's borders were recognised by the Europeans (Britain & Russia most importantly) even while the Qing did not control territories such as Tibet, Manchuria and East Turkestan.

The Russians even occupied East Turkistan & Manchuria while claiming "they were only holding them for the Chinese"
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 07:37
Originally posted by Leo

are you suggesting that was fake? maybe using offical Chinese press for information was funny, but shooting pilgrims...

Yeah it probably was Leo. That stunk of propaganda.
Russia and Britain didn't recognize china's sovereignty (only suzerainty), so its not a clear cut case as most Chinese would have you believe or as is stated above.

Yes they did. Even when English-Indian troops were in Lhasa and Cossacks in Kashgar. The English only changed their position in 1951.
Originally posted by Ulrich

And i think the one who proclaims that this is an internal problem, has an internal problem himself.

Yes but if you interfere you will probably just screw it up more.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 10:44
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Tibetians are allowed to live in Tibet. That is just being silly, China may be occupying Tibet but it isn't trying to ethnically cleanse Tibet.

Do Tibetans have any future ?

They are now the minority in their own land due to the Chinese politic of overwhelming the population with numbers of imported Chinese inhabitants as well suppressing any rebellion with force.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 11:35
Originally posted by Mughaal

Its called politics. Its relevent.

Plain bs.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 11:57

Except for outer mongolia, Qing China's borders were recognised by the Europeans (Britain & Russia most importantly) even while the Qing did not control territories such as Tibet, Manchuria and East Turkestan.

The Russians even occupied East Turkistan & Manchuria while claiming "they were only holding them for the Chinese"
borders of control, while im talking about sovereignty, two different things.

Russia and Britain didn't recognize china's sovereignty (only suzerainty), so its not a clear cut case as most Chinese would have you believe or as is stated above.

Yes they did. Even when English-Indian troops were in Lhasa and Cossacks in Kashgar.

English only changed their position in 1951.

The 1914 Simla declaration (Britain and Russia) not recognized by the Qing

Article 2. The Governments of Great Britain and China recognizing that Tibet is under the suzerainty of China, and recognizing also the autonomy of Outer Tibet, engage to respect the territorial integrity of the country, and to abstain from interference in the administration of Outer Tibet (including the selection and installation of the Dalai Lama), which shall remain in the hands of the Tibetan Government at Lhasa.

The Government of China engages not to convert Tibet into a Chinese province. The Government of Great Britain engages not to annex Tibet or any portion of it

the polity of Tibet was defined in the west even during the Qing era.

I don't see any diffrence between occupied Palestine and Tibet.

nah its silly to think the tibteans can last as a distinct group in the near future under present conditions. Flooding Tibet with han colonist is going to achieve the same result.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 12:59
Simla declaration was in 1914. The Chinese withrawl from Tibet was in 1912. Here is the USG position on this

"The United States considers the Tibet Autonomous Region or TAR (hereinafter referred to as "Tibet") as part of the People's Republic of China. This longstanding policy is consistent with the view of the entire international community, including all China's neighbors: no country recognizes Tibet as a sovereign state. Moreover, U.S. acceptance of China's claim of sovereignty over Tibet predates the establishment of the People's Republic of China. In 1942, we told the Nationalist Chinese government then headquartered in Chongqing (Chungking) that we had "at no time raised (a) question" over Chinese claims to Tibet."

Per

U.S. Department of State 95/09/07 Testimony: Kent Wiedemann on policy toward Tibet Bureau for East Asia and Pacific Affairs, testimony by Kent M. Wiedemann, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State For East Asian And Pacific Affairs Before Subcomittee On East Asian and Pacific Affairs Senate Foreign Relations Committee

And here is a statement the USG made before 1950, to the British EMbassy in 1943

For its part, the Government of the United States has borne in mind the fact that the Chinese Government has long claimed suzerainty over Tibet and that the Chinese constitution lists Tibet among areas constituting the territory of the Republic of China. This Government has at no time raised a question regarding either of these claims.

That deals with the United States. As Henry Bradsher a supporter of Tibet, admited in 1969.

"even today international legal experts sympathetic to the Dalai Lama's cause find it difficult to argue that Tibet ever technically established its independence of the Chinese Empire, imperial, or republican"

The only one who was ever againt this was the United Kingom Of Great Britain and Ireland/Nothern Ireland, when it was trying the annex Tibet in the early part of tha last century and it managed to annex a bit , which is now the Indian occupied North East Frontier Agency. WHat about that? Or is this thread limited only to Sino-Bashing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>