Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

america

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: america
    Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 18:45
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Bu I give you this challenge;find a country with more democratic roots and tradition that America. Find me a better example of true democracy today. You'll be hard pressed to find one.

Let's take up this challenge and discuss the democratic roots and traditions of the USA:

1. The initial settlement and further expansion of the country that today is the USA could only have been achieved through a massive genocide of the indigenous population that ended only about a 100 years ago.

2. The USA was the largest customer of a slave trade that de-populated and destroyed large parts of West-Africa. When one half of the country began to have feelings of guilt about this and made attempts to abolish slavery, the other half rebelled in order to continue the trade. Dark Age, Middle Age? No less than 150 years ago.

3. The descendants of these slaves, the ones lucky enough to survive,that constituted a large ethnic minority inside the USA were refused basic human rights, the right to vote, the right to a decent education etc, not to mention the structural social and economic discrimination of people of African origin. Only through the civil rights movement and against massive resistance on the side of the white majority were these rights finally garanteed.
If they are fully established and if all forms of racial discrimination are abolished is furthermore questionable.
When did all this happen? 40 years ago.

These are the long standing traditions of a true democracy?
I don't think so.
Or did you just forget all about this?

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 19:05
america is only a little over 200 years there man. so most of this stuff happened almost half our country's existence ago. plus unless i am horribly mistaken (in which case i apolize) we are still the longest standing democracy in the world.

any way those things don't make us not a democracy. the MAJORITY OF PEOPLE wanted to do those things (what that says about what our nation was like, i don't want to think about). so that says we were still democratic there

plus, all nations have had their dark times where we treat a certain people horribly. in america, it was the native americans, in germany it was the nazis, in spain it was the aztecs and incas, in japan it was the chinese(WW2), in many, many countries, it was their own people. it is not an exclusively american thing
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 19:13
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Find me a better example of true democracy today.  You'll be hard pressed to find one.

Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Ireland, Costa Rica
need more examples?
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 19:24

There was a riot in Boston and it needed to be some, so they used what they called less-lethal weapons, not ment to kill, but ofcourse there are few instances of it, its not like the cop went up to her at point blank range. I don't know about your country, but its not a right to cause millions of dollars in damage on private property. These comps were shooting a distance away, you can get killed with a beebee gun, so it doesn't surprise one person was killed when cops just shot aimlessly to break the crowds.

"self-censership is increasingly a problem of the us society where a number of media workers were fired and laid off because of their stand and opinions on the wars."

I honestly don't recall any of this ever happening in the USA, and if you have information on it please show me a site. As far as I know people were fined for indecent things on the radio, like deep discussions on sex.

"in the us, police can shoot you in the head, trying to take away your life. in my hometown, that's almost impossible cause in hong kong, police can only shoot a criminal's feet when the officer's life is threatened and is attacked by a firearm and s/he has to write a report everytime s/he makes a shot regardless of whether someone and anything gets shot. i bet in the us, the police feel their lives are threatened all the time even in front of criminals with nothing or just a knife. but i agree that criminals in the us are more ruthless and violent."

If a police officer's life is threatened by someone I think he should and does have the right to shoot to kill. Being a police officer is a job to serve and protect, he wants to do that job and get home to his family at night. Now police officers can only shoot the gun is about to be aimed towards them. And they don't shoot people with knives unless they are attacked, if theres no proof of the officer being attacked by a knife then they have a investigation into it. Otherwise the police must give warnings, no one likes to kill people and the police are very hesitant to do so.

Now on to that propaganda crap I keep hearing. The government has no right to say anything to the news agencies. If they did I doubt they'd allow alot of politcal cartoons making fun of them to be around and also words against the US's policies which you can turn on any news to see that. The only news station I see that completly pro bush basicly is Fox news. And thats a choice, other then that at night you can watch arguements played out on tv with one person supporting Bush and the other argueing how bad he is.

I see on CNN all the time that we accidently kill 20-50 civilians with a missle going off course, or mistaking civilians for terrorist, and don't tell me thats its a cover up, I doubt our soldiers want to make it anyworse then it already is for them. I don't know if you get propganda on your tv, but I can find the exact same news on the net that isn't from america that can be found on my tv.

Ok this is some proof of US propaganda, but its not aimed at the people of the US, and look who wrote this report on this issue which can be saidn it bashing the US gov't, or in other words going against (revealing something that the US gov't wouldn't want its people to know.)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/02/04/web.us/ 

well, i live in boston. infact, 5 mins of driving away from Fenway park where the shooting happened. the girl who got killed is my friend's friend who goes to Emerson college. and believe me, there was no riot whatsoever and they were not making any serious damages to any public property. there were some drunk people throwing soda cans and sitting on others' cars. that's about it. and most importantly, the girl who got killed did not get involved in anything but trying to talk away. if you are told that there was a riot, i can tell you right here that your source was wrong.

about the prapoganda on tvs, i watch american news everyday, and i can tell you most american people are not aware even tho they are watching some sorta prapoganda. the most recent example happened two days ago. the italian reporter that had been previously taken as hostage by the iraqi terrorists was released. however, her car was shot over 200 times which resulted in one death of an italian agent trying to save her, and three wounded cases. the agent who got killed had 3 kids and a family in italy as well.

i mean the terrorists are inhumans for killing and cutting off people's heads alive. i am very sorry for the american soldiers aboard. that's why i don't think it's a good idea to start a war, resulting in a countless number of deaths. friendly fire is inevitable and that i agree. but what's all the reason behind this tragedy.

basically, i am against war and any violence.

according to american news, the car was going at a high speed trying to run over the american soldiers and did not stop with a warning shot.

according to the survivors, the car was not going at a high speed and there was no warning shot whatsoever. and they were fired with over 200 shots. after they ceased fire, the first thing the american soldiers did was to take away the weapons of the italian secret agents and the cell phones before they brought the dead or wounded to a hospital. she said they were not going at a high speed and successfully passed many check points prior to the incident.

i understand that those soldiers were under a lot of pressure cause they could have been killed anytime. i am not making any judgment on this but in the us, i am sure it's leaning towards the american version of the story with the survivor's statement neglected.

if you've watched real tv, you can see how cops handle their guns in incidents. i've seen someone shot 6 times in one of the scenes and still was not dead. it was amazing. why would u shoot someone 6 times to get control of the situation if you are not trying to kill him?

i believe there are many good cops in the us but there are definitely some really bad and corrupt ones. i have a friend who drives a prosche and got pulled over by a group of cops when he was going 140 mph. the cops asked him if he was willing to pay for the ticket to them so he would have no record of speeding. (my friend would've got his ticket suspended if he got that one more ticket) he agreed and paid the cops 1000 dollars in cash for the ticket at the time he was pulled over (he had it cause he was going to the outlet). he thought it was completely legal cause the cops basically told him he could've paid for the ticket to them instead. later on, everyone else told him he was actually bribing the cops. there was no written ticket whatsoever but a payment of 1000 dollars. this happened in upstate ny.

please tell me i won't get in trouble for saying what i just did. i am very scared of getting in trouble for giving a speech not in favor of some americans cause i kinda got in trouble in school for giving a speech that explained why a war in iraq would not be in the interest of the world. i chose an anti-war topic to talk about on my presentaton and the professor ended up dividing my grade by 2 and gave me a reason that she did not think the speech was my own idea.

i had the computer records and everything to prove that it was me who typed out the presentation. she, however, did not report it as plagarism cause if she did, i could have appealed and i would probably have won.

she just simply divided my grade by 2. i ended up getting an f for that final presentation. after that incident, i've never ever talked about anything political in public in this country. i got freaked out u know. 

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 19:35
I'm curious as to why this is still in the Intellectual Discussion forum...
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 19:38

as requested:

self-censorship articles in the usa:

CNN practiced self-censorship - Plus the latest outrage from FAUX NEWS

CNN's top war correspondent, Christiane Amanpour, says that the press muzzled itself during the Iraq war. And, she says CNN "was intimidated" by the Bush administration and Fox News, which "put a climate of fear and self-censorship."

As criticism of the war and its aftermath intensifies, Amanpour joins a chorus of journalists and pundits who charge that the media largely toed the Bush administrationline in covering the war and, by doing so, failed to aggressively question the motives behind the invasion.

On last week's Topic A With Tina Brown on CNBC, Brown, the former Talk magazine editor, asked comedian Al Franken, former Pentagon spokeswoman Torie Clarke and Amanpour if "we in the media, as much as in the administration, drank the Kool-Aid when it came to the war."

Said Amanpour: "I think the press was muzzled, and I think the press self-muzzled. I'm sorry to say, but certainly television and, perhaps, to a certain extent, my station was intimidated by the administration and its foot soldiers at Fox News. And it did, in fact, put a climate of fear and self-censorship, in my view, in terms of the kind of broadcast work we did."

Brown then asked Amanpour if there was any story during the war that she couldn't report.

"It's not a question of couldn't do it, it's a question of tone," Amanpour said. "It's a question of being rigorous. It's really a question of really asking the questions. All of the entire body politic in my view, whether it's the administration, the intelligence, the journalists, whoever, did not ask enough questions, for instance, about weapons of mass destruction. I mean, it looks like this was disinformation at the highest levels."

Clarke called the disinformation charge "categorically untrue" and added, "In my experience, a little over two years at the Pentagon, I never saw them (the media) holding back. I saw them reporting the good, the bad and the in between."

Fox News spokeswoman Irena Briganti said of Amanpour's comments: "Given the choice, it's better to be viewed as a foot soldier for Bush than a SPOKESWOMAN FOR AL-QAEDA".

CNN had no comment.

[reposter's commentary- Irena's little 'Ann Coulter-wannabe' crack at anyone who dissents from the Bush adninistration reeks of the same stench the media tried to sling at Peter Arnett. Why let her get away with it?] Contact Irena at:

Irena Briganti, Senior Director
Corporate Communications Public Relations
Phone: 212-301-3608
Fax: 212-819-0816
E-Mail: briganti@foxnews.com

For "emergencies," you can page Irena, the footsoldier at 877-645-4203.

http://la.indymedia.org/news/2003/09/83271.php

Broadcaster admits USA media's self censorship - Christiane Amanpour
Catholic New Times,  Oct 5, 2003  
new

Save a personal copy of this article and quickly find it again with Furl.net. Get started now. (It's free.)

Several news sources reported on CNN's top war correspondent, Christiane Amanpour's remarks that the press muzzled itself during the Iraq war. "CNN was intimidated by the Bush administration and Fox News put a climate of fear and self-censorship," she said.

"I think the press was muzzled, and I think the press self-muzzled. I'm sorry to say, but certainly television and, perhaps, to a certain extent, my station was intimidated by the administration and its foot soldiers at Fox News. And it did, in fact, put a climate of fear and self-censorship, in my view, in terms of the kind of broadcast work we did."

Amanpour stated this on the CNBC talk show, "A Walk with Tina Brown." Brown then asked Amanpour if there was any story during the war that she couldn't report.

"It's not a question of couldn't do it, it's a question of tone," Amanpour said. "It's a question of being rigorous. It's really a question of really asking the questions. All of the entire body politic in my view, whether it's the administration, the intelligence, the journalists, whoever, did not ask enough questions, for instance, about weapons of mass destruction. I mean, it looks like this was disinformation at the highest levels."

Torie Clarke, a Pentagon spokesperson, called the disinformation charge "categorically untrue" and added, "In my experience, a little over two years at the Pentagon, I never saw them (the media) holding back. I saw them reporting the good, the bad and the in-between."

Fox News spokeswoman Irena Briganti said of Amanpour's comments: "Given the choice, it's better to be viewed as a foot soldier for Bush than a spokeswoman for al-Qaeda."

CNN had no comment

COPYRIGHT 2003 Catholic New Times, Inc.
COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0MKY/is_15_27/ai_ 111934014

http://www.uta.edu/library/cornehls/the_usa_patriot_act_and_ censorship.pdf

there are many more online. u can find a dozen by googling using the keyword "self-censorship usa"

���DZj�~�� ��������
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 19:57

democracy does not equal freedom.

you can have freedom and not democracy.

again, you can have democracy and do not enjoy freedom.

in japan, people have freedom but they cannot vote for their pre-mister but dominating party. it is called limited democracy. however, people do have a high level of civil right and freedom.

regarding self-censorship, self-censorship has nothing to do with the availibility of news to people. it's an act of media.

in china, people can get news from www.cnn.com as well but their state media will never ever report anything that might result in social instability.

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 20:12

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Ireland, Costa Rica
need more examples?

Actually, that was half rhetorical question and half opinion.  It is an opinion to say that a contry has "better" democracy that another.

As for democracy not equaling freedom, could you explain a little more?  I don't see how if you are free to vote, free to speak, free to have whatever religion you want, and many more things you aren't free.  This is what democracy is, atleast in America and I am sure in most countries.  Democracy always equals freedom but freedom does not always equal democracy. 

Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 20:17

Oh, and btw, bringing up the slavery issue is seriously a low, low blow.  America, along with every other nation, has had bad times.  And just so you know Americans werenot the first to use slaves.  Or did you just forget that the Spanish were here first?

The racism factor, for some reason it is always brought up again and again.  Did you happen to forget that Americans were not the only ones or first to have racism?  There are so many accounts of racism in Europe alone it is laughable.  Not only to blacks but to many kinds of people icluding people with different religiouns; one of the main reasons people came to America in the first place.  Or did you forget?

Slavery is not the root our America's democracy.  maybe if you actually knew a little bit about America and our Constitution it would help you to understand.

Emile Boutros View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Emile Boutros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 20:27

People I ahve met in the US tend to think too highly of their country. It borders on arrogance and even bigotry especially when talking about "terrorist" countries (often countries that are not even suhc!) The AMerican president indeed has an ugly accent and I find it difficult to understand him. Sometimes I think Tony Blair should be his translator. However, even though many Americans are rather dumb when it comes to knowlege of others they can be nice people and many of them are in a very innocent way. They tend to be very sympothetic to less fortunate people in word but usually if they are not this way it is becuase they either cannot afford to be or because they are less fortunate themselves.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 20:49
Originally posted by coolstorm

but why not listen to what other people think for once and for the betterment of the future of the world.

the world is a big family.

each family member should have equal right and be respected as a self-governing entity.

No country with enough power to push their own agenda forward would ever do that.  And furthermore, I cannot remember any country that has become successful by being an international moralist.  Rome, Britain, and now America have always been accused of being arrogant for being determined to pursue their interests.

Member of IAEA
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 21:32

I don't see how if you are free to vote, free to speak, free to have whatever religion you want, and many more things you aren't free. 

in america, they won't put you in jail for opposing the government but they can still create you trouble in some other ways that can hurt you.

you can get fired for opposing some powerful people (not nessarily the government). there are all kinds of tricks they can do to you. it all depends on how important you are and how destructive your speech or action can be to them. if you are a small potota of not great importance and no one cares about what u say, they definitely won't care about you and let you speak whatever you what. that's politics.

talking about freedom, in america, you are not necessarily free to protest or demonstrate. many of the demonstrations and protests have been cracked down by force. some college students were arrested and were beaten up after they demonstrated against the war in iraq two years ago in boston. they only arrested them to give them some lessons. of course, they didn't break any laws.

in america, although in theory, people can be muslims and practice islam, but i wouldn't recommend them doing it in public or in your work place or at the airport. u should know why.

Constitution it would help you to understand.

everything looks good on paper. according to the constitution, all men are created equal.

but back then, women were not men. so they didn't count. black people were also not men, they were animals and property. so they also didn't count.

according to the constitution, only the congress can declare war. but the last war the congress declared was the ww2. all other post-second world war wars that american boys and girls fought were not declared by the congress.

there are a lot of things that the us is not the best at. for example, public transportation suchs in the us. the trains are dirty and slow and inefficiency and low-tech. the buses are also dirty, slow, and inefficiency. the highways are broken, not parted right, and paved very badly with pot holes at least they are in the north east. there are a lot of things that america should learn from others as well.

but i do agree that many american people are nice and tend to help others a lot with little things. they are friendly to their neightbors and smile at you all the time.

in where i am from, people never talk to strangers including the neightbors. 99 percent of people havent' talked to their neightbors even though they have lived together for 10 years and see each other all the time. when you are robbed, no one will help you cause they are afraid of getting hurt and people are very selfish.

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 21:33

As a beauracratic institution America has had real democracy (not faux republicanism or Venice would win the prize) longer than any nation, that does not mean that rights are unalienable or will always be there.  The FCC is the biggest example.  Im sorry but it seems the freedoms that I and others pride America historically for are being taken away by nutcases and moralists.  Personal responsibility has left the American public, people rely too much on their television to raise their kids and when the television doesnt reflect how one would raise their kids they get all mad, sorry people if you dont want tv influencing your lives Im sure you can sell your tv, or turn it off!

No one takes personal responsibility anymore in America and thats why the freedoms can be taken away as feed being stolen from sheep, all the lawsuits, the censorship, the intentional dumbing down and injection of propoganda of all kkinds into all things.  The founding fathers and all the great men of Americas past are rolling in their graves.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 22:43

To coolstorm

I never heard anyone getting beaten up just for protesting, its a major right for people in america and there would be a huge uproar for such a action. There are war protests everyday. They were following the president around, or found everywhere the president was on his re-election campaign. Those people weren't attacked, and in only one instance did they really get permission to assemble. Usually the police break up crowds that are getting rowdy or didn't get permission to assemble which is to safegaurd people and make sure nothing bad happens. Sop there is obviously more to that story with those college kids and its hard for me to beleave otherwise.

And about congress only being able to declare war, thats wrong. The president has the right on himself to declare war for 2 months, which when it was created was really nothing, but now a days wars end quicker.

I have pride in this country for the reason people are willing to go out and risk death for my freedom in another country. I have pride in my country because thousands have died in the past for this country. I love my country because it can give people opportunity for a good life, although its mostly foreigners making it big now, sadly most americans got lazy....

I answers a few of your questions before but my comp screwed up and I'm not going to type it all out again, I'm still aggrevated from it. Sorry... prob could have gotten more discussion out of it...

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 23:11

I answers a few of your questions before but my comp screwed up and I'm not going to type it all out again

hahaha, it happened to me before and i got so mad that i lost everything i typed.

i can find a lot of incidents of demonstrators getting beaten up by googling:

"

Remembering an Earlier War in America's Streets

Written by Joe Guzzardi
Monday, April 26, 2004

~~o~~

In the spring of 1970, I worked for Merrill Lynch on Wall Street as an investment banker.

By 1970, the Vietnam War had split American into two factionsthe pro-war and the anti-war.

And few demonstrated tolerance towards anyone whose view was different from theirs.

Most afternoons, my friends and I took our brown bag lunches down to Battery Park to watch the Hawks and the Doves argue over what course in Southeast Asia the Nixon administration should take.

What we didnt realize was that those super-heated, in your face disputes would boil over into one of Americas ugliest street brawls during an era when violent demonstrations were commonplace.

Within the Hawks and the Doves were two subgroups: the Hard Hats, over-the-top patriotic construction workers who supported escalating the war and the Peaceniks, student groups who favored a complete and
immediate withdrawal from Southeast Asia.

Oddly, I couldnt relate to either group.  Although I had only graduated from college a
few years earlier, I had nothing in common with the longhaired, marijuana smoking protesters.

But neither could I sympathize with the Hard Hats.  The war was going badly.  In late April, Nixon had announced that troops would be sent to Cambodia.  And on May 4, the National Guard shot and killed four Kent State students during a protest at the university.

Under the best of circumstances, the rhetoric between the Hard Hats and the Peaceniks was always on the verge punches. The Hard Hats called the college students ''faggots'' and  ''Commies,'' and urged them to ''go back to Russia.'' 

The construction workerscorrectlytook a dim view of the more
extreme students who spat on and burned the flag and who forced campus shut downs.

But also among the Doves were hundreds of mainstream people who were beginning to put the Vietnam picture togetherand didnt like what they saw.

The first bloodshed came on May 6.  Medical students from the Whitehall Medical Center ripped down an American flag on a Broad Street construction job.  Several of the students were beaten up. 

But on May 8, everything exploded.  A major peace rally scheduled for noon on Wall Street drew a big crowd.  Everyone expected trouble but we had no idea just how much raw violence we were about to witness.

Shortly after 12:00, the first wave of 200 construction workers arrived at the corner of Wall and Broad. Waving American flags, they all shouted, ''America, love it or leave it'' and ''All the way, U.S.A.''

My friends and I could sense what was coming.  The Hard Hats pushed their way past a police line that offered no resistance, grabbed the demonstrators and started to pound on them.  They hit them with helmets, pliers and wrenches.

An emergency first aid station was set up at the historic Trinity Church on nearby Broadway.  More than 50 badly beaten demonstrators were treated.

By this time, the Hard Hats were nearly 500-strong.  They stormed Trinity Church shaking and rattling the iron gates that surrounded the landmark.

The mobs next destination was City Hallabout a mile up Broadway.  The Hard Hats hated New Yorks Mayor
John Lindsey. The mayor was condemned as a ''Commie Rat'' and ''Liar, Leftist, and Lunatic.'' 

That Lindsey had ordered City Hall flags to be flown at half-mast in honor of the four murdered Kent State students further enraged the Hard Hats.

Upon their arrival at City Hall, one of the Hard Hats went to the roof and, to massive cheering, raised the flag to full staff.  Sidney Davidoff, acting in place of the absent Lindsey, bravely walked onto the roof and lowered the flag.

Incensed, the construction workers charged City Hall waving their fists and cursing.

Finally, acting out of sheer terror, Deputy Mayor Richard Aurelio ordered the flag back up again.  The Hard Hats immediately broke out into song with their version of the ''Star Spangled Banner.''  [War Foes Here Attacked by Construction Workers, New York Times, May 9, 1970]

When he returned, Lindsey was furious at the failure of the New York police to provide protection for the demonstrators or to quell the Hard Hat uprising.  Many police officers on horseback tacitly supported the Hard Hats and refused to take preventative action.

On May 21, when nightstick-wielding police attacked 1,000 peaceful protesters at Bryant Park and 39th Street, sixteen charges of police brutality were filed with the Civilian Complaint Review Board.

The two bloody weeks in New York from May 6 to May 21 is only one tiny chapter in the
Vietnam saga.  People who werent there to see the brutality unfold cannot fathom what it was like.

Looking back, several footnotes make the story even more incredible.  Vice President Spiro Agnew sent a
letter to Peter J. Brennan, president of the Greater New York Buildings and Construction Trades Council commending his members for ''the impressive display in patriotismand a spirit in pride of country that seems to have become unfashionable in recent years.''

And President Nixon was duly impressed with the patriotic Hard Hats, too.  Nixon invited Brennan to the White House on May 26. There Brennan, twenty-two other union leaders, and Nixon discussed world affairs for nearly an hour.

On the way out of the Oval Office, Brennan presented Nixon with a hard hat.

Although there were no official photographs to record the moment, I struggled with the image of Nixon in his blue suit, striped tie, starched white shirt, and a construction workers hard-hat.

Thirty-four years later, the U.S. is embroiled in a war in Iraq that, like
Vietnam, offers no easy way out.  As more young soldiers die, frustration will rise.

Whether we will see the likes of those three bloody weeks in May 1970
remains to be seen.  But unless things improve in Iraq, we might.

Joe Guzzardi is instructor in English at the Lodi Adult School, has been writing a weekly column since 1988. It currently appears in the Lodi News-Sentinel. "

http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=707 4

"

Unionists and five MPs beaten up by police

Unionist beaten for wearing a t-shirt with slogans against Free Trade at a demonstration in Cartagena, Colombia. Five members of parliament were injured by police and two were arrested, as thousands marched against the Free Trade Agreement with the United States. President Alvaro Uribe urged local authorities to prohibit the march, and ordered a fierce police attack against the crowd, including the use of tear gas bombs fired from helicopters.

Foto: 21.05.2004 (By Jhony Valetta, ANNCOL) Using tear gas aggressive police in Cartagena made a clean sweep of trade unionists, workers, farmers and others trying to march against the Free Trade Agreement between Colombia and the United States. .

Not even journalists were safe, several being hit by rubber bullets fired by the police, among them two editors and a photographer from the local newspaper El Universal. Also injured were photographers from the Associated Press and the newspaper El Heraldo, and a camaraman.

The confrontation between demonstrators and police lasted more than three hours. Twenty thousand participated in the protest marking the start of negotiations on the Free Trade Agreement (Tratado de Libre Comercio, or TLC) with the United States.

22 persons were arbitrarily arrested and dozens were injured, according to a spokesman from the Association for Social Investigation and Action (NOMADESC by it's Spanish abbreviation).

"This is without doubt a fascist act by the President of the Republic, Alvaro Uribe Velez, who wanted only friends of the TLC inside the Old City", said Jorge Robledo, senator for the department of Tolima, who added that this day the true face of the present government was revealed.

Among the politicians attacked by the police were congressmen Alexander Lopez, Gustavo Petro, Wilson Borja and Venus Alveiro, and the co-director of the Liberal Party, Piedad Cordoba.

A group of 12 trade union organizations, including oilworkers from USO, mineworkers from SINTRAMINERCOL and university workers, demanded the immediate release of the 22 arrested, "against whom legal fictions are being pursued, with the aim of repressing any kind of protest", according to statements to ANNCOL by the trade unionists.

"The government is acting as though the spontaneous demonstration by a community was an act of war", they added.

Rigoberto Hernandez, a leader of the Coffee Union, was also savagely beaten and detained by police during the march.

According to his colleagues of the coffee growers' organization "the crime committed by Hernandez consisted of wearing a t-shirt with slogans against the Free Trade Agreement of the Americas and the TLC."

In Bogota, Bucaramanga, Cali, Popayan and other cities the workers declared a 24 hour general strike, leaving their places of work to take to the streets. More than seven million pupils in the public education system missed their classes as 300.000 teachers joined the strike.

"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=demonstrators+beate n+up+in+america&btnG=Google+Search

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 09:26

If you are not famillar with American Sign Language, this sign means "I love you"

"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 10:40
And if you are not familiar with the American Satanist Church, the sign says "I love you... my lord, Satan."

P.S. Americans don't get satire.
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 12:56
Originally posted by hugoestr

And if you are not familiar with the American Satanist Church, the sign says "I love you... my lord, Satan."

Speak for yourself.
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 13:12

Originally posted by hugoestr

Well i am not familliar with the American Satanist Church. I am glad I am not.  It still means "I love you" to all who are not Satanists. 

"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 13:59

"I never heard anyone getting beaten up just for protesting, its a major right for people in america and there would be a huge uproar for such a action. There are war protests everyday. They were following the president around, or found everywhere the president was on his re-election campaign. Those people weren't attacked, and in only one instance did they really get permission to assemble. Usually the police break up crowds that are getting rowdy or didn't get permission to assemble which is to safegaurd people and make sure nothing bad happens. Sop there is obviously more to that story with those college kids and its hard for me to beleave otherwise.

That's what is so weird, just blind belief that innocent protesters aren't beaten up in America just because it is America. 

I have pride in this country for the reason people are willing to go out and risk death for my freedom in another country. I have pride in my country because thousands have died in the past for this country. I love my country because it can give people opportunity for a good life, although its mostly foreigners making it big now, sadly most americans got lazy....

You are proud that Bush trapped you into this war for which he did use propaganda. Many of his speeches consist of science fiction-like phrases like: "Evil in the middle-east, terrorists trying to take away the freedom US citizens, God is favoring a war (or something like that), we want peace for the Iraqi people, Saddam is probably going to bomb us with chemical weapons". While at the same time you were dragged into the war by your own government, Saddam didn't care about what was going on in the USA and had no plans with it as he probably had so little money and resources due to your own trade embargo that you had starved all of his possible military recruits, that being innocent children, to death. You still proud about your country and your brave countrymen while they have false ideas for fighting.

And to Thegeneral: Saying meningless sentences praising America destroying evil in the Middle-East doesn't make anything legal. The Brittish or the French had no right to invade Germany after 1933. although the world would support the action today, as would i. The Soviets invaded my country in 1940. and again in 1944. and they most certainly said that they were freeing us of tyranny. That is just a blank sentence that does not make the international laws bend. Crossing another countrys border with military equipment without first being provoked or attacked is illegal by internatioanl standards. That is called DEMOCRACY.

And also, the fact that America has quite a long tradition of being a country with  a democratic legacy, does not erase the fact that it wasn't that much of a democracy until the second half of the 20th century. The constitution has throughout American history just been a word to use to blind the people into believing that "look, the forefathers wrote this paper that says we are all equal, that must mean that it is true bla bla blaa..." Even Russia had abolished the type of slavery that the US still used, i mean, Russia was regarded as quite a retarded country in that sence of social change at that time. Trying to reflect accusations of racism and slavery by saying that "Hey, but you guys had it to", makes no difference, theUSA was still one of the most racist, native-killing happy nation at a time that many of them proudly remind as a time of democracy since 1776. July 4th. Bah, blind jibberish, romantic fiction.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>