Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greater Iran?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Conservative View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Conservative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greater Iran?
    Posted: 27-May-2008 at 21:25
Originally posted by Sparten

1) I would very much like a link or a cite. From a reputable source. Because what you are saying gose against the accepted grain. Or less politely; is bullshit.

2) Geography and isolation and little external migration? Lets see of the top of my head, you had the Turks, the Persians, (many times), Africans, Central Asians of every stripe, the Mongols, the Greeks, the Scythians. I don't know whose history you are talking about, but its not of this place.

3) Sedentary ,rural and agricultural? Definatly some areas. Other however are anything but. Balochis and Sindhis are not sedentary, they are desert people, however when settled they are very urban. The Punjab region or the region east of Khyber generally is very urban, Kashmir is mountainous, Bengal is urban, as is all of N India, Rajestan is desert, the C India is rainforest, the South east is more intune with East Asia than with S Asia.

4) Caste based? Pashtuns, Punjabis, Sindhis, Bengalis, Jats, Rajputs etc, don't have a caste. As for diet, it is completely different, the Punjabis and Pashtuns and Balochis are heavy meat eaters, Kashmiris and Bengalis rice eaters, C India vegetarian and S India fish. The staple food in Bengal is rice, here is bread.

5) By the way, Hindu, Indian etc. Are not "local" words. They all means generally; "lands across the Indus". Since lands across the Indus extend all the way to Japan, well next you will be saying that they are like Japanese.

It is clear you have no idea not even an abstract one about what you are saying.

In relation to Y-DNA haplogroup types i've read from a number of journals and online articles, including from companies themselves like Genebase, Family Tree DNA and so on. I dont save them as its not a topic of any significant interest to me and had found them via Google as sidetracks when researching on Iranian peoples - So you can do the same for haplogroup types common to the peoples of the Indian subcontinent - Google it if you really want to know. I personally dont give a crap enough to go back and find all these abstracts and studies.

As for Baluchis, they're one of the minorities in Pakistan i was referring to in a previous post that overall arent culturally or historically related to Indic peoples and neither is Baluchestan apart of the subcontinent geographically. Its a mountainous desert wasteland for the most part on the edge of the Iranian plateau and is only sparsely populated (and has only been sparsely populated throughout history). I have no doubts that some Baluchis, especially those in Pakistan's province that live closer to Indic peoples like Sindis/Punjabs etc are only culturally Baluch but are racially related to Indic peoples - But overall Baluchis live a way of life that is totally different from Indic peoples and their language also has no relationship to Indian languages like Urdu, Punjab, Sindu or whatever else are spoken by the majority of Pakistanis.

Now you listed a bunch of peoples that invaded your part of the World - However i was talking about human settlements and migrations - Not invasions - Big difference. Invading armies dont change the demographics of places they invade or leave any significant demographic alterations unless they totally annihilate a population like the massacres of Iranic peoples in Central Asia by Genghis Khan and Turkic tribes. We ruled much of Mesopotamia for centuries which is on our door-step yet the people have never been displaced by Persians or Iranian peoples. They're the same semetic peoples they have always been. Much like how Egypt has endured centuries upon centuries of occupation - from Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs and Turks - Yet Egyptians, genetically, are still as they always were thousands of years ago. The same is even more true for the Indian subcontinent which has natural geographic barriers making invading it from land one of the most difficult places to invade in the World (altho it has been successfully done before due largely to the military inferiority and weakness of the peoples of Pakistan/India), and which like Mesopotamia and Egypt has always been able to support huge populations due to your geography, rivers, climate etc.

And you obviously missed the point i made about words like Hendu etc being applied to all South Asians by invaders to your part of the World. But i disagree with you that these are words that were used for "all lands east of the Indus to Japan" - I dont know where you pulled that one of out, but we had different words for Chinese and other East Asians in our language. Only modern-day Pakistanis (not including Baluch - who were known as Baluch) Indians, Sri Lankans etc were known as Hendus in Persian.

Finally on the caste and diet stuff im sure there is a great deal of variety of foods in the subcontinent but again you are trying to hide what things there are in common too in all your cuisines. And yes Pashtuns and Baluchis dont have caste-based societies because they're not apart of the Indian civilization and were only much latter arrivals to the provinces they now inhabit in Pakistan. Baluchis began migrating east around the 13th century and Afghans began making incursions and settlements across the Khyber pass even later. I think the difference there was that Baluchis seemed to have assimilated some of the Indians living in the region into their fold but the Afghans continually kidnapped, killed or drove away the Indians from places like the Peshawar valley(?) which then eventually became Afghan dominated. 

The rest of those peoples you mentioned all no doubt have caste based societies. Whether or not you want to admit that is irrelevant to me. Anyone can just pick up a book on Indian history or just Google it to find out.

Originally posted by Sparten

Obviously point was missed. The three example I gave were 1) Iranic/C Asian, 2) Black African, 3) Mongol. Pakistan has people from all these areas. So to say that Pakistanis are like x or y, is dead wrong

Yeah, but they're all tiny minorities when compared to the Indic element that makes up your country. That's why Pakistan is considered a purely South Asian country even though your largest province area wise is on the Iranian plateau. And Baluchis themselves are very distinct from other Iranians - perhaps the most distinct minority in Iran in terms of their appearance and how they live - so i can imagine how even more different they must be the further east you go. I guess some are quite similar to Afghans from Qandahar and Helmand, and a few of them to the rest of Pakistanis. It just reflects the mutli-racial character of those tribes.
ایران‌ زمین
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2008 at 21:47
Get a grip guys, seriously.
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 08:52
Conservative Wrote:

"Azerbaijan Republic has nothing to do with Iran or Iranians? Look, if it wasnt for the Russians you wouldnt even be a 'nation' - That land had been apart of Iran for much of the past 2000 years. Anyway, you can consider yourself to be closer to Georgians and Dagestanis or whatever - That isnt an issue for most Iranians at all, because we know the real history of that land - Not the one the Russians and insecure communist-leaning Azari leaders made up."

Dear Conservative,

I am sorry, but your post is very likely lack of arguments and facts. Let me explain my answer.

We would be "nation" and keep our identity, even if there were not any Russians. I do not know what you had in your mind when you wrote this, but I'd like to remind you that after 9-11 centuries, we owe our existence to Oghuz Tribes, rather than to Persia. After that time Iran, as an Identity did not belog to Persians untill early 20th century. Please to not pring up so called "Pan-Turkish" statements, but untill Abbas the 1st, 17th century, Azerbaijan has already a stable society, with lots of minorities.

I want to remind you that Saffavids official language was turkish during the reign of Ismail, Tehmasib and his grandsons.

Therefore, Iran, even though played an important role in the history of Caucasus before Turks and even After Turks, this role was not decisive among 10-17th centuries.

During the reign of Afshars, Gajars, Iran was not ruled by Persians, and its politics, society was massively influenced by Turks. Therefore I do not accept it that Iran was something else than a close-cultural neighbour. If you know the history of the Khanates Period, beginning from 1740's ending at first Persio-Russian war, you can understand it easily.

That is correct that Soviet Rejime hurt Azerbaijan and made up fake historians, politicians and so on. But Azerbaijani society, keeping its language, culture, religion, moral traditions, was able to keep its identity as well. I do not think, not being under Soviets, but under Iran, we would lose the things I counted above.

Look to South Azerbaijan-Northern Iran, where more than 20 million Azerbaijnis of Turkish etnicity live there.

Nijat
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 16:10
During the reign of Afshars, Gajars, Iran was not ruled by Persians, and its politics, society was massively influenced by Turks.

Actually it was the other way around, those Turks were completely Persianised and were influenced by the land they ruled after one or two generations.

That Azarbaijan and much of the Caucasus is within the Iranian cultural sphere is irrefutable.  What language did Nezame write in?  Persian or "old Azari"? Case closed.  However, as far as this thread is concerned I do not consider Azarbaijan north of the Aras as part of geographic greater Iran simply because the fact is that it is not.  However, it is certainly within the cultural Greater Iran.  Don't forget also how many Talyshis and Tats for example have been Turkified over the last two centuries alone, so this isn't only about those whom claim descent from Oghuz, much of the cultural traits of Azaris is inherited and borrowed from the native Iranics.  And there are (or were) traces of the old Parthian language within the Turkic Azari language.  It's still there in Iran, but has been of late wiped from the Caucasus Azari.

Edited by Zagros - 28-May-2008 at 16:16
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 16:17
Additionally, I don't see the point of debating Turkic Azarbaijan in this thread since Turkic Azarbaijan falls within the post-Classical Islamic era category.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conservative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 16:31
Originally posted by Kerimoglu

Dear Conservative,

I am sorry, but your post is very likely lack of arguments and facts. Let me explain my answer.

We would be "nation" and keep our identity, even if there were not any Russians. I do not know what you had in your mind when you wrote this, but I'd like to remind you that after 9-11 centuries, we owe our existence to Oghuz Tribes, rather than to Persia. After that time Iran, as an Identity did not belog to Persians untill early 20th century. Please to not pring up so called "Pan-Turkish" statements, but untill Abbas the 1st, 17th century, Azerbaijan has already a stable society, with lots of minorities.

I want to remind you that Saffavids official language was turkish during the reign of Ismail, Tehmasib and his grandsons.

Therefore, Iran, even though played an important role in the history of Caucasus before Turks and even After Turks, this role was not decisive among 10-17th centuries.

During the reign of Afshars, Gajars, Iran was not ruled by Persians, and its politics, society was massively influenced by Turks. Therefore I do not accept it that Iran was something else than a close-cultural neighbour. If you know the history of the Khanates Period, beginning from 1740's ending at first Persio-Russian war, you can understand it easily.

That is correct that Soviet Rejime hurt Azerbaijan and made up fake historians, politicians and so on. But Azerbaijani society, keeping its language, culture, religion, moral traditions, was able to keep its identity as well. I do not think, not being under Soviets, but under Iran, we would lose the things I counted above.

Look to South Azerbaijan-Northern Iran, where more than 20 million Azerbaijnis of Turkish etnicity live there.

Nijat

Iranian Azeris havent lost their language or traditions and are certainly not marjinalized in Iran if that is what you were implying in your last paragraph. Do you know that Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is himself an Azeri from Tabriz? Azeris are some of the biggest supporters of the Islamic Republic in Iran - Maybe you are mistaking Iranian Azeri's identification with Islam and Islamic Republic over their ethnic identity as a sign of them 'losing' their culture but i can tell you that is all largely voluntary on their part and has nothing to do with them being apart of the larger Iranian nation.

As for Turkish being the official language under the Safavids i think you are again mistaken. The actual Safavid dynasty was Turkish-speaking but the administrative language of the Safavid realm was Persian. This is reflected by the fact that Safavid currency was all marked in Persian not to mention the patronage of Persian language and literature, communication with the Ottoman and Moghal courts in Persian, and so on. Also the civilian and administrative positions of the Safavid court were largely made up by Persians. It was the army during the early and middle periods that were made up mainly of Qezelbash confederation.

Another point to mention about the Safavids is that it was only by consent of the Persian people that they were able to rule Iran without risk of overthrow and rebellion from the Persian population. For this, the Safavids had to adopt Persian court customs and patronize the language, literature and culture of Persians - and utilize Persians in the court and administration. This is why the Safavids are considered an Iranian empire, not a Turkish one. Their court combined both Turk and 'Tajik' (Persian) into military and civilian roles.

Its similar with Nader Shah - He was an Afshar Turcoman from Khorassan. But before he could take the title of 'Shah' he had to play a long game of calling the shots from behind the scenes of power so as not to alienate the Persian population. He did that by recognizing the authority of puppet Kings claiming a continuation of the Safavid dynasty. When Nader Shah finally came out in the open and declared himself Shah he again took Persian titles and was influenced by Persian court customs. Likewise by the time Nader Shah consolidated his rule over Iran and began his assaults on the Ottomans, Afghans, Uzbeks and Moghals his army was multi-ethnic - The single largest contingent in numbers were Persians-Tajiks - Turcomans, Kurds/Lurs and later defeated and captured Afghans, Uzbeks and Turkmen made up the rest. I believe at one point there was also an Arab contingent in his army, buy they later switched sides and backstabbed him.

Altho one thing to mention about Nader Shah is that yes he was self-conscious about his Turkic ethnicity and spoke Turkish where he could. His life 'on the road' and on horseback was also reflective of his identification with the old ways of the steppe nomads.

But overall your comments - "After that time Iran, as an Identity did not belog to Persians untill early 20th century" & "During the reign of Afshars, Gajars, Iran was not ruled by Persians, and its politics, society was massively influenced by Turks" - are quite mistaken. Altho yes Turks did play a big role in Iranian politics, much like Iranian Azeris do now. But this was not in isolation or without the acceptance and support of Persians and other Iranians - who played equally important roles in the functioning of the Safavid and later era's.
ایران‌ زمین
gomada View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gomada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 19:00
[QUOTE=Aussiedude]

i just want to say that :
Goranis and Zazas are not nations.They all are Kurds, i am a Zaza Kurd from Dersim city(Southern Turkey). So if you dont know well,dont post such silly maps.if you wanna play i can make a map by photoshop. Wink
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 03:22
That isn't a nation map, it's a linguistic map and it accurately depicts the locations of the speakers of those languages, which is all they are: not nations.

Zazaki is derived from Parthian whereas Kurdish is not, that is why it is differentiated.  Zazaki is most closely related to Gilaki, Talyshi and Tati rather than Kurdish, although obviously the poximity to Kermanji will have given it heavy Kermanji influences over time. 

I know you are probably very politically opinionated, but please don't take my words personally or to heart, I am speaking from a philological perspective, I hope you understand. 

Ardeshir View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ardeshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 16:13
Originally posted by Conservative

Originally posted by MarcoPolo

I have met a few Iran Zamin enthusiasts here in Pakistan on several occasions, but unfortunately for them, the last 100 and some odd years have worked against what they are striving more, from the abolishment of Persian as the lingua franca (by the British in the late 19th century), and more recently, with the cultural invasion from South Asia, Persian influence is probably at its lowest in Pakistani history.

Huh?? What??..... 'Iranzamin enthusiasts' from PAKISTAN?? Sorry but lmao....

Now if you're trying to imply that Persian should be the national language of Pakistan, i think dude you are either trying to be more Iranian than Iranians or you are suffering from some kind of inferiority complex. You say that Britain imposed Urdu on what is now Pakistan in place of Persian yet the Moghals (again foreigners to your part of the World) were the ones who imposed Persian on the Indian subcontinent. So how is Persian any better than Urdu as your national language? Persian isnt your language, lol.... Why dont you stop being a wannabe Persian and change your national language to something actually spoken in Pakistan or native to your provinces? Because Persian certainly isnt either of those and your post reeks of an inferiority complex towards Iranians, which is kinda pitiful. You're a Pakistani, and... Pakistanis are overwhelmingly of a different race, culture and civilization to Iranians. What you share with Iranic peoples like the Pashtuns or the Baluch is tiny when compared to what you share in terms of languages, culture, mannerisms, cuisine, physical looks, history, society etc etc etc etc etc etc with Indians, Sri Lankans and so on.

Sorry, but i've met many Pakistanis and Indians in my life and you are very close to eachother, so please, cut your BS out about being under the "historical influence of Persia and Central Asia' and that there is some kind of "South Asian onslaught" on your country - I mean you are a friggen South Asian, lol - Dude, you ever met or seen an Uzbek or a Kazakh or Turkmen in your life?? Clearly not i suspect - There is absolutely no resemblance between them and a Pakistani - Even Tajiks who are largely Iranic are totally different to a Pakistani guy from some Lahore or Karachi or whatever. And believe me the only Iranians you'll find who have any overlap with Pakistanis are a few Baluchis who are like 2% of Iran and differ from the rest of Iranians more than anyone else in the country.

No offence, but, your post was extremely hilarious and.... deluded to say the least. Altho its nice that you hold Persian language in such a high regard that if it were up to you you'd re-impose it on your people - See if Iranians also thought like that about Persian then our language would not have slumped far behind other Global languages or started to decay even in Iran itself,

MarcPolo is right when he says there are IranZamin enthusiasts in Pakistan because i know my father used to go to their meetings regularly .Smile

I think I can shed some light on this issue having spent 9 years of my golden years in Pakistan after my family left Iran.  I also spent a few years in Turkey/india but i remember my times spent in Pakistan as a good one, some of the best times that my family ever had plus i made lots of friends there & hope to return their one day to pay a visit as it was a 2nd home to me.

Plus to say that Pakistani's &indians are the same is very naive, rude &disrespective, you know what your saying, i dont like it when people compare me to arabs, not that i have anything against them, and ya, to an outsider who doesnt know he may confuse the two, but people deserve to be respected for what they are.  I have met many Pakistani's and indians, there is a big difference, perhaps if u took the time to meet Pakistani's(i.e. real one's-non-urdu) you wouldnt think the same. your trying to generalize & say something u know will hurt them, thats just being mean and is innapropriate. Thumbs%20Down

when we were in pakstan, We found the people very friendly, hospitable &very similar to Iranians both in looks, customs and even language,,the best way to explain it would be to think of being in ''another'' country but still feeling an ''iranian'' flavour to it... it wasnt iran, but wasnt complete different either like turkey,india or sweden.. Pakistan still had a faimliar and comforting feel to it as if you were close to home..i think it took me only 4-5 months to learn how to speak the pakistani language, i became fluent and can still speak it.  I also remember seeing some Pakistani's that were very fair skinned with blue eyes &colored hair, it was only in Karachi where we saw some of the more darker south asian looking people but most of the time people looked very much iranian, sure there are some mixed types but for the most part they look like us, i've even met fellow iranians that look very dark & wouldnt even pass for pakistani for that matter. so i think your comparison is unfair

We used to do a lot of sightseeing when we were in pakistan & were surprised to see most of the wrtings on ancient buildings were written in Persian!! I consider myself very well versed in ancient persian history as my parents used to tell us stories about ancient persia & even I know that Pakistan was once part of the Persian empire, plus having lived there, you can see it in their looks, language, culture & all the old persian monuments in the country. 

it seems Conservative has something against Pakistan---  Im thinking Conservative is another ''Indian'' as he always writes negatively about Pakistan in many posts and pumps up india quite consistently; i had a guy(viajay) in another post try to convince me that india&iran are the same people and that pakistan, a country that shares a border,history/culture with us does not lol!! cant understand the logic there!

it is true that the provinces that make up Pakistan today, used to use Persian as the national language until the British invaded who had a well thought out plan to chop the influence/sphere of persia in the olden dayz.  they have manuscripts & its a known fact that persian was ''officially'' removed from Pakistan by the british, im surprised you were not aware of that!

I dont see whats wrong with Pakistani's choosing Persian as the national language, it would be good for Iran, make for better relations, they could stick it to the British colonizers, reclaim their history and im pretty sure they could learn very easily since they already know half the vocabulary, the only thing they might need to work on is their accent which is will take some time!!lol!! ( i hope they dont start speaking it like afghans lol!!, sorry, but i had to say that!!)  so i dont think Marcpolo is off when he says that, they would basically be re-affirming their persian heritage, would work in Iran's favour which i think we should encourage them to do!:) if anything, i think Persians should re-claim Pakistan and be more active in soldifying Pakistan within the Persian sphere of influence where she belongs.

so cudoos to you Marcpolo  Cheers, i agree with your post, what u suggested is good idea & wud be great for the region as a whole.

Edited by Ardeshir - 24-Jun-2008 at 16:22
Thinking is the essence of wisdom
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 17:44
Good post Ardeshir. I remember as a kid I went to the post office which was owned by older Pakistani guys (in the UK) and they asked me where i was from and when i said Iran they asked if, by name alone, I knew various Iranian poets and to my shame I didn't know any of the names they mentioned.

Edited by Zagros - 24-Jun-2008 at 17:47
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 17:54
OK: can we compare the Turkic aspects of Moghuls vs their Indic aspects?

I mean from start to finish of the dynasty.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conservative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2008 at 23:24
Originally posted by Ardeshir

[QUOTE=Conservative]
it seems Conservative has something against Pakistan---  Im thinking Conservative is another ''Indian'' as he always writes negatively about Pakistan in many posts and pumps up india quite consistently

Where have i ever 'pumped up India' ? lol...

I hardly give a toss about either of your two countries.

And judging from your post, using your logic - you're a blatant Pakistani posing as an Iranian online. lmao...
ایران‌ زمین
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conservative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2008 at 23:39
Originally posted by Zagros

OK: can we compare the Turkic aspects of Moghuls vs their Indic aspects?

I mean from start to finish of the dynasty.

There was no Indic aspect to the Moghals during the period from Babur to Aurangzeb. The Indians/Pakistanis etc were their servants. One of their emperors, Akbar, was liberal and allowed Indians (even non-Muslim ones) to serve at high positions in the Moghal court - but the power was always with the Turks and the Iranians. Likewise with the Moghal army, it was made up of largely of Turks, Iranians and Afghans. The Indians that fought for the Moghals were commanded separately by their own chieftains, who were given autonomy in exchange for their service to the Moghal emperor.

I havent read Moghal history beyond the period of the "great emperors" but its pretty clear from reading the history of Nader Shah that the Moghals continued to be influenced by Persian court customs even after Aurangzeb. However by that time probably the demographics of their court and army would have favoured Indians in number as less people from Iran and Transoxiana would have had reason to serve in the Moghal court and army and those that already had were dead or had returned to their homelands.

Question: What has this topic got to do with 'Greater Iran' tho?
ایران‌ زمین
Ardeshir View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ardeshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 21:12
its just the impression i get thats all because you seem to have a bias against them and generalize them.

Edited by Ardeshir - 19-Jul-2008 at 21:32
Thinking is the essence of wisdom
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conservative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 21:11
Originally posted by Ardeshir

its just the impression i get thats all because you seem to have a bias against them

Like what?

and generalize them.

Well the nature of this very topic is a generalization, mainly based on linguistics. If you take all modern-day Iranic peoples then we are only superficially related through linguistics, and even then the unity isnt so great. Languages like Kurdish, Persian, Pashto and so on are all independent from eachother - Their origins were probably from the same source as they belong to the same language tree, but they're all different languages and not understandable to eachother's native speakers.

The common idea of "Greater Iran" is a generalization of peoples based on linguistics - the Iranian language tree. But this idea is flawed because ALL Iranic peoples have never been united, either politically, sentimentally/psychologically, socially or culturally.

So the "real" "Greater Iran" if we could even debate such a thing, therefore, could not be based on such a superficial unity like the Iranian family of languages. It would have to be based on common culture, civilization and history - and of course, the will of these people to identify themselves with modern-Iran (an enlarged or "greater" version of it) - And the only people then outside of Iran who could be included in "Greater Iran" would be the Tajiks. Not only because Tajiks are essentially Persians and because much of western Afghanistan (Herat in particular) WAS apart of Iran historically (as in the nation of Iran, not a subordinate domain or tributary state of the Persian empire) but overall many Tajiks have the collective will to identify themselves with Persians of Iran and the Persian civilization, especially those from Tajikistan (from my experience in interacting with them).

Kurds from Turkey and Iraq, Afghans (the Pashtuns) and Baluchis from Pakistan do not identify with Iran. They see themselves as different peoples with their own histories, traditions etc and in the case of the Pashtuns have never been apart of Iran, culturally, psychologically or socially. They have been conquered, but never integrated into the Persian civilization. Afghans have always seen themselves as different, and we have always seen them as different too. Its similar with Baluchis. The only difference there is that they are apart of modern-Iran through conquest - But overall they still remain distinct from other Iranians and im not convinced that they've been integrated too well, if at all.

But unlike Baluchis and Afghans, most Kurds actually do have a long historical relationship as Iranians. But their counterparts in Iraq and Turkey have for a long time been living under the influence of other empires and in the here and now they do not identify themselves with Iran, but with 'Kurdistan'.

Anyway - This whole topic is of course based on generalizations. I've generalized the Tajiks as being compatible with "Greater Iran", but im sure you'll find just as many Tajiks from both Afghanistan and Tajikistan that dont identify with Iran or any concept of a "Greater Iran" - but only with the Persian culture and civilization, and their respective modern-day countries.

As for your earlier comments and the comments by other Pakistanis, you dont even come into the equation. So i dont know why you're even talking here. The huge bulk of Pakistanis are Indic, speak Indo-Aryan languages (Indian languages) and share history and civilization with other Indic peoples. You were never significantly touched by Iranian history and had no real influence from Persian culture until the Moghals established their rule in the subcontinent. So how is that being bias? Bias towards what? A bias towards the facts, the truth? LOL

Azerbaijanis, Uzbeks, Turkmen, Armenians, Georgians and others in the Caucuses and Central Asia either have more Persian influences on their cultures or just a much closer relationship to Iranian history and people than Pakistanis do (peoples from Sind, Panjab and Kashmir). Even Iraqis have a much greater relationship with Iranian history and ancient civilization - Yet we would never consider any of those peoples to be apart of a "Greater Iran" even though many of these places at one time or another had a substantial Persian influence, especially what is now Iraq and Central Asian cities like Merv, Samarqand, Bukhara etc

Edited by Conservative - 20-Jul-2008 at 21:41
ایران‌ زمین
angara View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote angara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2008 at 19:04
I am pakistani and both conservative and areshir are correct. paksitan is land made of 4 mojor people. Punjabis (50%) pashtuns (25%) sindhis & muhajirs(15%) and balochis(7%) and other smaller tribes like kalash make up around 3% of the population. Now Punjabis, Sindhis, muhajirs which make up 65% of the population of pakistan are definatly much close to North indians, but the the other 35% pashtuns,balochis, and other smaller tribes are iranic people, they dont speak persian but are iranic, they are more closer to persians. Persian was indeed spoken in much of baluchistan before british came, but that does not mean that much of pakistani land spoke persian, so the final answer is no pakistan should not have persian as the main language because majority is still more close to north indians
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conservative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 18:44
Originally posted by angara

I am pakistani and both conservative and areshir are correct. paksitan is land made of 4 mojor people. Punjabis (50%) pashtuns (25%) sindhis & muhajirs(15%) and balochis(7%) and other smaller tribes like kalash make up around 3% of the population. Now Punjabis, Sindhis, muhajirs which make up 65% of the population of pakistan are definatly much close to North indians, but the the other 35% pashtuns,balochis, and other smaller tribes are iranic people, they dont speak persian but are iranic, they are more closer to persians. Persian was indeed spoken in much of baluchistan before british came, but that does not mean that much of pakistani land spoke persian, so the final answer is no pakistan should not have persian as the main language because majority is still more close to north indians

When you say that Pashtuns and Baluchis are much closer to Persians (than presumably to north Indians) what do you exactly mean by this? Please explain.... If you mean linguistically, then yes, their languages are from the same language tree as Persians so from that very one dimensional perspective, they're closer to Persians. Racially speaking, its arguable. But culturally speaking id disagree with you. Pashtuns and Baluchis differ from Persians in culture as much as they differ from Indians and Pakistan's Indic majority.

Baluchis and Pashtuns should not be looked at as being peoples that are either "closer to Persians or to Indians" but are in fact their own distinct socio-cultural groups and should be recognized as such.

Actually, among Iranians i've never even seen this raised as an issue before, because it really isnt one. It seems to be only a problem or complex of South Asians to look at Afghans/Pashtuns and Baluchis as being something in-between or a mixture of Persian and Indian - Whereas for Iranians we just see them for what they are, and that is something different from both Persians and from Indians.

Edited by Conservative - 25-Jul-2008 at 18:46
ایران‌ زمین
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 00:32
Well in Pakistan, they dont consider all Iranians as Persians (or as we call them Farsi-wans)...we know there are Baloch that are closer and similar to us Pashtuns, we know there are Turkmens, Azerbaijani's etc... who are not technically Persian.. just as in Pakistan most people can or have acquired the language Urdu, but that is just a linguistic trait that does not denote our ethnic origin as in the case of Mohajir's.  I agree, people need to appreciate different ethnic groups for what they are and not generalize them.
Partisan Rebel View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Partisan Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 06:31

ethnicity is slowly being treated as an ideology, especially in environments like large urban centers within diverse countries. language is such a strong marker ethnicity and over arching culture that if one generation replaces their native tongue with whatever language happens to be the 'lingue fanca' then their place in the history of ethnic groups of the world becomes lost forever.  

Gone are the days of necessary fervent nationalism in order to preserve and perpetuate government, however the methods of consolidating a countries identity and therefore unity remain and are insidiously causing a flattening effect on diversity.

will it matter in say four generations from now what ethnicity a person is?

Edited by Partisan Rebel - 17-Nov-2008 at 07:09
"man is essentially good, a 'noble savage' when in the state of nature" -J.J. Rousseau
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 23:35
Hell yes and will do so for as long as man exists. Ethnicity is not exclusive to racial heritage - there will always be differing ethnicities.  One day this whole "globalised" way of life will come crashing down and we will largely revert to our primeval nature where tribe is everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>