Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jerusalem and what should be done with it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jerusalem and what should be done with it?
    Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 04:00
"Clearly you aren't looking. Lets start with the role of the Ayia Sofia and end with food and coffee. The only difference is the religion of the state!"

The cathedral was turned into a mosque and the Orthodox weren't even allowed to ring their bells. "Turkish" coffee is Armenian by the way. The difference wasn't just religion, which Orthodoxy provides quite a different mentality as a whole concerning all aspects of life, you also forget language, military, goals. Much of the Orthodox that could, fled. But yes I admit a "turk" from Turkey today is much more different then a turk from say turkmenistan.

"Persians, Latins, Slavs, Germans and Turks? Hmmm, that's the same list to me...."

This is just silly.

"Wrong. The Ottoman Empires was not a Caliphate until 60 years after the fall of the Roman Empire. Nor was the pre Caliphate Empire particularly Islamic, the ruling class were muslims, but the state wasn't an islamic state, and the majority of the population was christian"

I didn't specify a time. As for the majority of the Turkish Empire being Christian, probably, at least until the Turkish way of rule changed that.

"Mehmeds claim to be Roman Emperor was an attempt to pre-empt this conversation basically (A political stunt). It didn't work."

Nope, didn't work then, won't work now.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 08:09
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The ottomans really did continue the Byzantine Empire in many respects, especially in secular and cultural respects. Russia's claim to being the 3rd Rome is purely religious idealism. They only claimed that because they were the only powerful independent orthodox state at the time.
The ottomans on the other hand ruled the same people, the same land, in a similar manner, fought the same enemies. Prayed in the same buildings, payed their taxes to the same place etc etc
Furthermore, I don't believe that the majority of people currently in Jerusalem are Muslim -- feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. And if you are speaking of the demographics at a particular point in history, I would simply point out that I could just as easily say that the land belonged to the Christians, or the Jews, or the Baal worshiping Canaanites on the same grounds.

But whether Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or Baal worshipping they were always Palestinian.

I was not disputing their "Palestinianess"; simply pointing out a few absurdities in the attempt to determine rightful ownership of Jerusalem based upon pre-modern/early modern dynastic claims.

With regard to the Third Rome theory, it was religious idealism, but no less powerful an argument for that; we should note that the "Second Rome" theory was largely religious idealism as well, but it still holds sway today. When we look at Tsarist Russia, we must admit that she actually did continue the tradition of the Roman Emperors much more than Mehmed. By the early Byzantine period, religion was so much a part of the culture that it would be hard to imagine a Byzantine culture without it. Indeed, this remained so in Russia on an official level until the reign of Peter the Great, and on a popular level far after that. The Ottoman Empire may have claimed the territorial mantle of Rome, but that was it.

-Akolouthos
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 11:44
Actually the Ottomans didn't claim the Caliphate till the 19th century, there is no proof whatosever that Selim I officially took the title caliph or behaved as one, the caliphate was cancelled and ressurected later.

As for Ottomans being the newst Roman dynasty, well, it was just a joke mixed with reality. The Sultan did have the title Caesar and the Russians accepted that in the official documents, before Cathrine the great. The was no official claim nor a declaration by the russians and all in all Russia as it existed had nothing in common with Byzantium while the Ottoman institutions are largely based on the Byzantine model. The Church acknowledged Muhammad II's title and for me that is enough because the main orthodox church is in Constantinople not Moscow.

Al-Jassas
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 12:22
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Furthermore, your reasoning, if followed consistently to the present, would lead us to conclude that the modern nation-state of Israel is the proper "heir" to Jerusalem and the immediate surrounding area.
Rather depends on what you mean by the 'modern nation-state' of Israel. That only owes its legitimacy to the UN grant, which only awarded part of Jerusalem to Israel.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 15:25
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Sorry Wladyslaw, the crusades ended 700 years ago and it was they who invaded the country and were eventually defeated. The only rightful heir to the Levant was the old Byzantine empire which means that the current republic of Turkey, the heir of the Ottoman empire, is the rightful owner of the levant countries because the Sultan was the Empror of rome and Byzantium!

problem with this line of logic is that the modern state of Turkey doesn't recognize the Head Church or the Head Patriarch in the true religious authority, while there is little 'Ottoman' in the new ethnic-nationalist built state.  we can all claim our little bit of that....

...so this ....

As for Ottomans being the newst Roman dynasty, well, it was just a joke mixed with reality. The Sultan did have the title Caesar and the Russians accepted that in the official documents, before Cathrine the great. The was no official claim nor a declaration by the russians and all in all Russia as it existed had nothing in common with Byzantium while the Ottoman institutions are largely based on the Byzantine model. The Church acknowledged Muhammad II's title and for me that is enough because the main orthodox church is in Constantinople not Moscow.
other line of argument is irrelevant. Hi Holiness is only the head preist for the few Greek (Roman) survivors as far as they are concerned.

The sultan was never the new emperor, since he was not continuing the same civilization or the same political entity. That makes as much sense as the Mayor of Athens to also be its Bey. He created something different from the left overs of Rome. Despite what the Russians or the captive Patriarch will say. The sultan was the death of Rome and I have little time for the Russian claims either.

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The ottomans really did continue the Byzantine Empire in many respects, especially in secular and cultural respects. Russia's claim to being the 3rd Rome is purely religious idealism. They only claimed that because they were the only powerful independent orthodox state at the time.
The ottomans on the other hand ruled the same people, the same land, in a similar manner, fought the same enemies. Prayed in the same buildings, payed their taxes to the same place etc etc
To be Romeo  'Roman' was to belong to that millet under subjugation, they had no full rights as a citizens. For that you must be Muslim which counters the ingrained othordox-ness of being Roman (at that time of change). what the Ottomans did, is keep the bits that were useful to them.

The Greek language, Church and Roman identity was not front and center to the offical  identity anymore.  It was superseded. Everything else; the food, music and other stuff is regional. You can convert and change in many other ways (inc identity) but still remain the same on the basics.

Edited by Leonidas - 02-Aug-2008 at 15:30
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 16:08
Hello Leonidas

It seems that people here took my mockery quite seriously so again. Mr Wladyslaw wrote nonsense so I returned on him with a similar nonsensical reply but it seems people here took it beyond what it meant.

As for Ottomans not being a continuation of the Byzantines, well were the Byzantines a continuation of the Romans in the first place for your initial argument to be correct? no, the byzantines were a totally new empire in many things but none the less it retained certain institution under different names, same can be said for the Ottomans who also retained certain Byzantine institution and made them distinctively Ottoman.

Al-Jassas
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 17:46
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by Akolouthos

Furthermore, your reasoning, if followed consistently to the present, would lead us to conclude that the modern nation-state of Israel is the proper "heir" to Jerusalem and the immediate surrounding area.
Rather depends on what you mean by the 'modern nation-state' of Israel. That only owes its legitimacy to the UN grant, which only awarded part of Jerusalem to Israel.

Interesting. I was not aware of that. Really it just goes to show what I've been saying all along: it is impossible to say that this group of people has a claim to such and such a region because they lay claim to the heritage of this or that earlier people. Any argument made along these lines will dissolve into a mass of arbitrary discontinuity and contradiction.

-Akolouthos
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 22:57

Actually the Ottomans didn't claim the Caliphate till the 19th century, there is no proof whatosever that Selim I officially took the title caliph or behaved as one, the caliphate was cancelled and ressurected later.

Al-Jassas

It's enough for you for a whole bag of other reasons. LOL
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2008 at 22:59

Hello Leonidas

It seems that people here took my mockery quite seriously so again. Mr Wladyslaw wrote nonsense so I returned on him with a similar nonsensical reply but it seems people here took it beyond what it meant.

As for Ottomans not being a continuation of the Byzantines, well were the Byzantines a continuation of the Romans in the first place for your initial argument to be correct? no, the byzantines were a totally new empire in many things but none the less it retained certain institution under different names, same can be said for the Ottomans who also retained certain Byzantine institution and made them distinctively Ottoman.

Al-Jassas

But the term Byzantine was never used during the Empire's existance. It very much was the contiunation of the Roman empire. From Britania to the middle east was Roman. Simply because the west was lost does not mean those people were not Roman anymore. They weren't a totally new empire. The byzantine empire didn't conquor the roman empire or some non sense like that. It didn't start, it simply continued.

What certain byzantine institutions made the Ottomans the continuation of the empire?

This is just silly
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 19:09

Hello Leonidas

Al-Jassas

In the end the Roman Empire was chrisitan and the new Byzantie Empire was also christian.In fact Christianity was a huge part of byzantine culture,so if you replace Christianity with something else you leave almost nothing from byzantine culture.

When replacing Christianity with islam the Ottomans created a totaly new - ottoman culture and thus a new Empire,having nothing to do with the old Byzantine empire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345