Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jerusalem and what should be done with it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jerusalem and what should be done with it?
    Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 07:15
Originally posted by Carpathian

Someone said that the Eastern Orthodox Churches fought amongst themselves, no, they're one religion.

Since when did that stop anyone from fighting amongst each other?
Even if we ignored the fact that they do have theological arguments all the time, that still leaves political arguments like who gets the key (admittable that one was solved centuries ago but you get the drift)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 07:40
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The pope has never governed Jerusalem, except for the period where he tried to take it by force. The eastern churches - Greek, Syrian, Ethopian, Egyptian, Armenian etc, have collectively governed the Holy Churches since at least Saladin (possibly always or post Roman?)

The problem is they are far to busy fighting each other to agree upon a gate keeper for the Holy Sepulchre let alone the ruler of the whole region.

I can remember even during the Caliphate the bishops meeting with their E. Roman counterparts to discuss Church matters. There were some periods where it was limited and localized, but also plenty of cooperation between the Caliph and the Emperor to allow the Bishops under him to maintain ties to Constantinople.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 11:34
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Someone said that the Eastern Orthodox Churches fought amongst themselves, no, they're one religion.

Since when did that stop anyone from fighting amongst each other?
Even if we ignored the fact that they do have theological arguments all the time, that still leaves political arguments like who gets the key (admittable that one was solved centuries ago but you get the drift)
there is only the one patriarch that descends from James and he is a part of the Orthodox Church. AFAIK the Muslim conquerors recognised that position, no one else's. My issue only is that he is not home grown, which should most certainly change.

Jerusalem should be an international city and above control of any one state.

Edited by Leonidas - 18-Jun-2008 at 11:39
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 17:53
The problem with the Orthodox church is the complete compliance with Israeli policies that some high positioned greek born and raised bishops do. Remeber that two thirds of west jerusalem and much of the settlements around it are church property sold and/or taken with the full knowledge and cooperation of those greeks. This led the Arab christian to rightly demand a return of the church to Arab christians who ran it since the 9th century and never betrayed their duty. unfortunately the greek and the Jordanian governments (the latter is responsible for all non jewish holy sites) refuse to correct the mistake and continue to trust foreigners who more than once betrayed their duty.

Al-Jassas
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 19:18
"Since when did that stop anyone from fighting amongst each other?
Even if we ignored the fact that they do have theological arguments all the time, that still leaves political arguments like who gets the key (admittable that one was solved centuries ago but you get the drift)"

Since when did they start? How is discussing "fighting amongst each other"?

"The problem with the Orthodox church is the complete compliance with Israeli policies that some high positioned greek born and raised bishops do. Remeber that two thirds of west jerusalem and much of the settlements around it are church property sold and/or taken with the full knowledge and cooperation of those greeks. This led the Arab christian to rightly demand a return of the church to Arab christians who ran it since the 9th century and never betrayed their duty. unfortunately the greek and the Jordanian governments (the latter is responsible for all non jewish holy sites) refuse to correct the mistake and continue to trust foreigners who more than once betrayed their duty.

Al-Jassas"

They simply don't care to get involved. If Jews and Muslims want to kill each other, go for it. Not their problem. Why become involved in an issue that doesn't concern you?

You're going to have to give a source of Greeks taking land from Arabs. And are they both Orthodox? Of the Arabs are anything else then Orthodox well sorry but the Orthodox owned it first. And even if they are Arab Orthodox the Greeks owned that land first. So there is no point bringing in such long winded dates.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 20:06
1)Order everybody out.

2) Nuke it.

3) repeat step 2, oh like 150 times to make sure.

4) Throw radioactive waste all over.

5)tell the religious people to fight over it...... now.

And we can all have some peace.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 00:28
Originally posted by Al Jassas

The problem with the Orthodox church is the complete compliance with Israeli policies that some high positioned greek born and raised bishops do. Remeber that two thirds of west jerusalem and much of the settlements around it are church property sold and/or taken with the full knowledge and cooperation of those greeks. This led the Arab christian to rightly demand a return of the church to Arab christians who ran it since the 9th century and never betrayed their duty. unfortunately the greek and the Jordanian governments (the latter is responsible for all non jewish holy sites) refuse to correct the mistake and continue to trust foreigners who more than once betrayed their duty.

Al-Jassas
Dont assume the Greek church is at all happy with a Zionist state. The Church  did not take anything from the 'Arabs' its the same church all along, thats simply not true and completly false. 

The Church and the orthodox faithful are in a similar situation as the rest of the palistinians, including the conficastion of property

here a church is building homes for local orthodox families

Greek [Orthodox] POV on Isreal , its creation and how it has stolen land from the Church (my bolding)

For a short time, Palestinians, Jews and Christians all existed happily. However on May 14, 1947, the Jews revolted and declared their independence. The surrounding countries of Jordan, Syria and Lebanon joined forces with the Palestinians to try and settle the rebellion, but the Jews prevailed and created a new homeland, named Israel.

However, there was little free land left for the government to use. The newly created parliamentary democracy thus decided to use non-Jewish lands for its government buildings. Lands owned by the Holy Cross Seminary in Jerusalem were confiscated by the government, without compensation, and currently house the Israeli parliament (The Knesset), the Presidential Palace and a few other government buildings (GOARCH). Israeli settlements started to encroach upon Greek Orthodox monasteries to expand the Jewish living area. Two monasteries were taken over by the “natural expansion” of Israeli Settlements (Greek). The Greek Orthodox Church?s property ownership decreased by 12% during this period (GOARCH). This disregard for property ownership has continued in Israeli policy, even today.

Ninety percent of the land in Israel is owned by the Israel Lands Administration (Keeping). Israeli law states that it is the government's right to declare as public property any area of land whose owner is unknown. Under this article, if a piece of land is left unoccupied for more than 24 hours, it becomes land under "ambiguous ownership" and becomes a target for Israeli confiscation (Masri). An example of this is monastery occupations. If a monastery is left unattended, the government can override it, exersizing complete disregard for its sentimental and religious value to the monastery?s respective religion (Greek). Another example of this is Israel?s control of the West Bank. According to recent statistics, more than half of the total area is considered “public property,” thus is under the government?s complete control (Masri).

Besides the strain put on Israeli-Orthodox relationship because of land, other Israeli laws and governmental actions have greatly hampered the activity and freedom of the Greek Orthodox Church. The failure of the Israeli government to recognize the newly elected Patriarch of Jerusalem, Ireneos, has hurt public relations between the two peoples. Traditionally, the governments of Jordan, Israel, and the Palestinian Authority (PA) must approve nominations and elections for the Patriarch (GOARCH). Jordan and the PA accepted all nominations, while Israel rejected five, including Ireneos, because they were more “pro-Palestinian.” Ireneos became elected as Ecumenical Patriarch, and still has not been recognized by the Israeli government (Greek).
www.hellenicnews.com

just to show your the Orthodox predictament of the zionist state. Not all us westerners are the same

Edited by Leonidas - 19-Jun-2008 at 00:32
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 00:35
Originally posted by Al Jassas

The problem with the Orthodox church is the complete compliance with Israeli policies that some high positioned greek born and raised bishops do.

Well Iraneous was recently deposed with the blessing of the whole Orthodox church and the Greek & Jordanian states for exactly that kind of behaviour. Of course when the Israelis see any Arab organisation (whether it is the Church, Fata or Lebanon) they try to put their stooges in place to control it.

Since when did they start? How is discussing "fighting amongst each other"?

About when James denouced Paul.

They simply don't care to get involved. If Jews and Muslims want to kill each other, go for it. Not their problem. Why become involved in an issue that doesn't concern you?

You're going to have to give a source of Greeks taking land from Arabs. And are they both Orthodox? Of the Arabs are anything else then Orthodox well sorry but the Orthodox owned it first. And even if they are Arab Orthodox the Greeks owned that land first. So there is no point bringing in such long winded dates.

I have to wonder if you are even living in the same world as the rest of us. Israelis have been seizing Palestinian lands irregardless of whether they are owned by Christian or Muslim, Greek or Arab. Most of the Arab christians there are Greek Orthodox by the way, and are also Palestinian - meaning they have been there since before Christianity anyway.
The christians are involved just as much as the muslims are and for exactly the same reason. Don't you remember when the Israelis attacked the Church of the Nativity in Bethleham a few years back?
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 07:09
"About when James denouced Paul."

What are you talking about?

"I have to wonder if you are even living in the same world as the rest of us. Israelis have been seizing Palestinian lands irregardless of whether they are owned by Christian or Muslim, Greek or Arab. Most of the Arab christians there are Greek Orthodox by the way, and are also Palestinian - meaning they have been there since before Christianity anyway.
The christians are involved just as much as the muslims are and for exactly the same reason. Don't you remember when the Israelis attacked the Church of the Nativity in Bethleham a few years back?"
What is your point? I said me personally I don't care.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 12:16

What are you talking about?
Ancient History of course. It is a history forum. You asked when Christians started disagreeing with each other, my answer was shortly after the not-death of Jesus

What is your point? I said me personally I don't care.

No you said Arab Christians don't care which is just flat wrong.

General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 20:50
"Ancient History of course. It is a history forum. You asked when Christians started disagreeing with each other, my answer was shortly after the not-death of Jesus"

Ah okay. Sorry I didn't read through that wahabi text which "explains" that.

"No you said Arab Christians don't care which is just flat wrong."

Now my statement:

"You're going to have to give a source of Greeks taking land from Arabs. And are they both Orthodox? Of the Arabs are anything else then Orthodox well sorry but the Orthodox owned it first. And even if they are Arab Orthodox the Greeks owned that land first. So there is no point bringing in such long winded dates."

Now show me where i said the Arab Orthodox don't care.

LOL If you read religious texts the same way you read the words of people I can see where you get the idea that James denounced Paul. Be more careful it saves time sadiq. ;)
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2008 at 01:12
Now you're just being silly. You can see plain and recorded what I replied to above. Without question you know that as you quoted the wrong sentence. I suggest you do alot more reading too, especially if you think that christians (or orthodox christians) have agreed upon every single thing for the last 2000 years.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2008 at 01:34
Originally posted by Maharbbal

I'm sorry but the three religion do not hold a similar claim to the city.

For Islam it is only (at best) the third one. So Muslims do not have the same claim. Then for many Jews, despite the presence of the Temple, only God is supposed to restore Israel, so once more religiously Judaism is not supposed to hold Jerusalem. Only the Christians have a clear claim for the temporal government of the city. It is their #1 city. As such the pope should govern the city.

Even being the third, it's important enough that they won't concede.  People usually would not concede religious principles.  Even if a site is only the least important holy site of a religion like Islam, it is unlikely that the adherents of that religion would simply give in if they beleive that it would violate their religious precepts to do so.  Sure, some religions are more flexible and might work out some kind of solutions, but this won't likely happen in this case, because Judaism believes God himself revealed the location for their Temple, and no one can change God's command (even God himself cannot change the Torah).  For the Muslims, it is the Quran, Allah's revelation, that teaches them why Jerusalem is religiously significant, and a Muslim wouldn't change or undermine the Quran anymore than an Orthodox Jew would change or undermine the Torah.  (I know some argue that it took sometimes before the Muslims turned Jerusalem into a holy site, but it doesn't matter: the fact is that it has become the third most important holy site, and in the minds of the Muslims, two of the reasons for its being a holy site are that Muhammed ascended to Heaven there, and Abraham attempted to sacrifice Ishmael there, and if I'm not mistaken, both incidents were recorded in the Quran.)  Not only is Jerusalem holy to both religions, it is exactly the same lot of land within Jerusalem -- the Temple Mount, where the Dome of the Rock is located -- that is holy to both religions.  I may be mistaken, but it seems like the rock in the Dome of the Rock is also what many believe to be the location of the Holy of Holies in the Jewish Temple!  If their holy sites are located in two locations in different parts of Jerusalem, the problem wouldn't be nearly as great.  Religious sentiment combined with nationalistic motivations and animosity result in almost no possibility for compromise. 

Edited by MengTzu - 20-Jun-2008 at 02:21

(Credit to Cwyr and Gubookjanggoon for first using the sloganizer.)
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2008 at 19:41
"Now you're just being silly. You can see plain and recorded what I replied to above. Without question you know that as you quoted the wrong sentence. "

Then quote the right one for me please.

" I suggest you do alot more reading too, especially if you think that christians (or orthodox christians) have agreed upon every single thing for the last 2000 years."

The Orthodox Christians have debated different topics but all jurisdictions are in communion and agree on the same theology. Paul was never denounced. This isn't Christian theology this is Mahomedan theology. Relevant to you maybe, not so much me.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 17:56
Half to the Israelis ,half to the Palestinians.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 13:13
This is an interesting topic, and the one topic which i believe will go on and on and on... The problem we are currently facing will never be solved by either nuking it multiple times or by moving the UN in there.

In truth, the politcial enviroment of the area is influenced by other countries which have too much to loose if the otherside wins, but since thier countries are not directly involved really dont care much what happens either.

Why dont the rest of the world all get together and help, well simple most countries have nothing to gain from this, so why should they support it.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2008 at 14:09
Originally posted by Spartakus

not fair,   that "Israelis"are only Jews (mostly) while Palestinians are both Muslims and Christians also they are the majority not settlers.

so i would say

0% to the Zinionsts

10% to the Jews

90% to the rest.

Smile
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 18:03
Originally posted by azimuth

Originally posted by Spartakus

not fair,   that "Israelis"are only Jews (mostly) while Palestinians are both Muslims and Christians also they are the majority not settlers.

so i would say

0% to the Zinionsts

10% to the Jews

90% to the rest.

Smile

Well, it is Palestinians who want a different State. Half for the State of Israel, half for the Palestinian State, if ever created.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2008 at 08:27
now yes its seems to be the maximum they can ask for after their lands and rights of decent living is stolen by the zionist state.

but what they wanted was different, in 1940s Palestinians supported by Arabs wanted a one country with all Palestinians living it, the zionists with most advanced western weapons refused and prefered to have a country for the jews of the whole world.

so the accurate statement will be the zionist jews ALWAYS wanted a different state, Palestinians wanted a united state, NOW the palestinians have no country, living in a land that is occupied by a foreign force, so since unity is out of the question they would like to have something called a country that is in depended (which wont be), thats how pathetic they become, thanks to many western powers.

Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2008 at 19:20
In 48 the big guy had two apples, a big one and a small one, Palestinians must choose between the small one or nothing, they choose nothing. Lack of intelligence. And Arabian states lost three wars. Arabians must accept that they lost forever (or few hundreds years) this land.  
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>