Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phillipines and Mexico

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phillipines and Mexico
    Posted: 08-Mar-2009 at 19:16
What do you mean? Do you mean in East Asia do you look down on Filipino people? Do you mean you look down on Mexicans? Or both?
Please be clear, because your sense of humour doesn't follow a linear logic and it is a bit strange. Thanks.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 01:01
Originally posted by pinguin

What do you mean ?

Please be clear, because your sense of humour doesn't follow a linear logic and it is a bit strange. Thanks.

Fillipinos in general have " firm " affinity towards Mexicans and Spanish.In my younger years,I knew something not Oriental ( despite them looking Asian ) about them,but didn't know what to make of it until I read this one article written by a Fillipina proclaimed her people being the only un-Asian among all Asian nationalities LOL.

I think the " bond " between Fillipinos & Mexicans is more real than politically-motivated superficial shared Turkic heritage between Turkish nationals & Mongols or other Turkic related peoples Tongue .

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 02:29

Yes, there is an historical link between Fillipinos, Mexicans and Spaniards. They were together thanks to the Manila Gallion that connected the Phillipines with Mexico.

Even more, Spanish gallions for that trade were build in Manila, and most of the sailors were Fillipinos. They also become very convinced Catholics, sometimes a lot more than the rest. Fillipinos also migrated to Mexico, and there is even a folkloric women dress there that comes from that country.

Yes, there is common background between Fillipinos, Latinos and Spaniards. Unfortunatelly after the American invasion they have wiped out the Spanish language there, and with that part of the link is gone.

Ashura View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ashura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 10:12
A part of Indonesia now was under New Spain and that was the Manado area...

The Philippines as a whole should not had been a catholic country..if wasn't for the spanish occupation it will turn into a muslim country..but I think once the philippines becomes an islamic country it will be proud of it's asian roots plus the change of the country's name.

Edited by Ashura - 15-Jun-2010 at 10:13
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 20:36
Originally posted by Ashura

The Philippines as a whole should not had been a catholic country..if wasn't for the spanish occupation it will turn into a muslim country..

Undoubtably, the Phillipines would be an Islamic nation had it not been for the Spanish.  At the same time, most of the Phillipinos were amnists when the Spanish arrived.  Islam was as much a missionary religion in the Phillipines as Catholic Christianity.  The Catholics just had more powerful sponsors.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2010 at 09:47
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by Ashura

The Philippines as a whole should not had been a catholic country..if wasn't for the spanish occupation it will turn into a muslim country..

Undoubtably, the Phillipines would be an Islamic nation had it not been for the Spanish.  At the same time, most of the Phillipinos were amnists when the Spanish arrived.  Islam was as much a missionary religion in the Phillipines as Catholic Christianity.  The Catholics just had more powerful sponsors.

Something I never gave much thought to but what you say Cryptic makes a lot of sense. the sounthern island is mostly Islamic and if I am correct that is where most of their problems are coming from Muslims vs Christians. I like the Philipino people and I have always thought Philipino woman makes some of the best wives or so I hear. I almost went there but ended up going to Mexico instead.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2010 at 20:01
Originally posted by eaglecap

Something I never gave much thought to but what you say Cryptic makes a lot of sense. the sounthern island is mostly Islamic and if I am correct that is where most of their problems are coming from Muslims vs Christians. 

Mindanao is magority muslim.  Just how large a magority, however, is a matter of debate. Most of the truly indigenous tribal peoples have recently converted from amnism to evangelical christianity.
Some near indigenous peoples are Christian, while most are Muslim.

I guess it boils down to two versions of the Islamic presence in the Phillipines:

Version A:  Islam was actively suppressed by the Spanish, forcibly eliminated from the centeral Phillipines and forced to retreat to Mindanao.

Version B: Islam never had a strong presence in the Phillipines.  Muslim ruler routinely exagerrated Muslim numbers by deeming subject peoples to be "muslims". Even in Mindanao, though muslims might be the magority, there has always been large amnist or Christian communities.

Ricsoler View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ricsoler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2016 at 04:14
Question: Is the Forum on Philippines and Mexico no longer active?
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2016 at 16:26
Its a very old thread but still open. You can always start a new one if you have something interesting. Maybe something pre-colonial? 

Star

Edited by Sander - 05-Jun-2016 at 16:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12