Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solution to the Balkan crisis?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solution to the Balkan crisis?
    Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 09:25
The problem with FYROM or RM, is not the name really, it's their claim that they are the only inheritors and ancestors of Ancient Macedonians. The fact that they do not want to change their name..for example make it Slavic Macedonia or Slavo-Macedonia etc only shows their wish to claim a past which is not theirs. And we all know the importance of names in the Balkans, because names, that is identities, are the beginning and the object of propaganda.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 09:51
In my opinion if there will be a future war in balkans that war will be fought over Macedonia.
In my opinion Greece does not want Macedonia to carry that name because not in a very distant future it might lay claims to the north of Greece.

The balkan solution will come only when people are separated in states were they speak the same language and were they have the same national identity.Only then will their human right be respected,not as a minority in a state who does not recognise them or dehumanise them.

There is no reason whatsoever why the Albanian minority in Macedonia who lives across the border of Albania be part of the modern state of Macedonia,and there is no back-up logic nither.

And i can understand claims of Greece and Albania as to their historical past ,because of their languages,who dont belong to a particular groop of languages,but Macedonians clearly speak Slavonic,and ancient Macedonia clearly was not a Slavonic state.

If slavo-macedonians dont like Bulgaria or Serbia they can make their own slavic state in the Balkans,and nobody is against slavic states,but they can not have historical claims as to ancient Macedonia,thats my opinion.But nither should Greeks have any claim to that nither,Macedonians clearly were not Greeks, and certainly have nothing to do with modern Greece.

I wonder what kind of people are the ones who are convincing the slavic population of Macedonia to be the decendants of Alexander the great.

Me pune,me perpjekje.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 09:58
Whether Ancient Macedonians were Greeks or not, is a large discussion which cannot be conducted here.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 14:53
Originally posted by HEROI

The balkan solution will come only when people are separated in states were they speak the same language and were they have the same national identity.Only then will their human right be respected,not as a minority in a state who does not recognise them or dehumanise them.

There is no reason whatsoever why the Albanian minority in Macedonia who lives across the border of Albania be part of the modern state of Macedonia,and there is no back-up logic nither.

This is completely wrong statement! There are plenty of different minorities living in other European states without any conflicts and territorial claims. Balkan solution will come only when people like you change your point of view. What do you suggest? Population exchange? Plenty of people won't go from places they live for centuries. Changes of borders? Typical reason for conflicts. As an Albanian -- will you agree to get rid of territories inhabited by Greek, Vlach, Slavonic and Roma speaking population?  What are you going to do with the later? Suggest them to create their own state? Where?
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:02
Originally posted by es_bih

It's been called that forever, and officially so, too.

You shouild do a geography lookup on Macedonia before saying that.

The area of the FYROM was called Paionia and the western part was a piece of Illyricum, inhabited before the Slavic and Bulgar migrations by Thracians and to the west by Illyrians. Pelagonia is a small part of the country, that became Macedonian province after the Macedonian Kindoms expansion to the north. Macedonia in early years was divided in the following provinces/subkindoms:

Upper Macedonia

ORESTIS Kastoria province, Greece
TYMPHAEA Grevena province, Greece
ELIMEIA S. Kozane province, Greece
EORDAEA N. Kozane province, Greece
LYNKESTIS Florina province, Greece
PELAGONIA Monastiri (Bitola), FYROM

Lower Macedonia

AMPHAXITIS Kilkis province, Greece
ALMOPIA Pella province, Greece
PIERIA Pieria province, Greece
BOTTIAEA Emathia province, Greece
KRESTONIA N. Thessalonike province, Greece
MYGDONIA E. Thessalonike province, Greece
ANTHEMOUS S. Thessalonike province, Greece

Expansion under Philippos II

BISALTIA E. Thessalonike province, Greece
SINTIKE Serres province, Greece
ODOMANTIS Drama province, Greece
EDONIS Kavalla province, Greece
THASSOS Kavalla province, Greece
CHALKIDIKE Chalkidike province, Greece
SOUTHERN PAEONIA Gevgeli province, FYROM

If we speak about medieval times Macedonia was displaced to Thrace Confused for some aqward reason and the administrative areas were divided in Themata (themes) by the Byzantines.

Unless all of the people in the S. State just woke up in the 90s then understandable. And no it is just a name no matter how you put it.

No, it was not during the 90s...It's longer than that, but that's when the world got to know about it.

It has no spiritual value nor identity value the two are two completely different historic things, only thing is that the former conquered the latter, and the latter adopted that name in order to save face, but beforehand not only despised them but considered them as great examples of barbarism.

We conquered Thebes, Athens and some of their allies. We created the Panhellenion league. Could you please explain who saved face? The Athenians? Macedonians? Thebans?

As for the dispice, see who the Allies are under the Peloponesian war. During classical age, the relations of Athens and Macedonia are not bad at all.

For the way you use the barbarism term i suggest you take a look here: http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=15134, pages 3, 4  and 16 for an accurate usage of the term.

I will also note one more time es_bih, that the issue is not plainly about the name, but rather about the behaviour and motives. I think Leonidas was very correct pointing out the official stance of Greece on the matter.

Edited by Flipper - 13-Feb-2008 at 16:11

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:07

But nither should Greeks have any claim to that nither,Macedonians clearly were not Greeks, and certainly have nothing to do with modern Greece.

I wonder what kind of people are the ones who are convincing the slavic population of Macedonia to be the decendants of Alexander the great.

Heroi, don't you consider Albanians being descendands of Illyrians? In that case how clear is that, compared to Macedonians? I want to see your definition of clear in this case. Before that have a look on the index of this thread http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=15134&PN=16 just to ensure that we won't repeat the same things over and over again.

And please name a primary source of the last 15 years (not from the 19th century) having released something that supports your statement. Smile

Thank you

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:09
Originally posted by Spartakus

The problem with FYROM or RM, is not the name really, it's their claim that they are the only inheritors and ancestors of Ancient Macedonians. The fact that they do not want to change their name..for example make it Slavic Macedonia or Slavo-Macedonia etc only shows their wish to claim a past which is not theirs. And we all know the importance of names in the Balkans, because names, that is identities, are the beginning and the object of propaganda.

Slavic Macedonia Ouch, What's next then, Anglic Washington, Germano-Irish-Polish Chicago, Confused
It's a name actually thats at issue, they could just say ok you can use it, however, we will discuss this issue of "sole" or "shared" ownership on an intellectual level, not on a political where it has no place whatsoever.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:15

In my opinion if there will be a future war in balkans that war will be fought over Macedonia.
In my opinion Greece does not want Macedonia to carry that name because not in a very distant future it might lay claims to the north of Greece.

And i can understand claims of Greece and Albania as to their historical past ,because of their languages,who dont belong to a particular groop of languages,but Macedonians clearly speak Slavonic,and ancient Macedonia clearly was not a Slavonic state.

If slavo-macedonians dont like Bulgaria or Serbia they can make their own slavic state in the Balkans,and nobody is against slavic states,but they can not have historical claims as to ancient Macedonia,thats my opinion.But nither should Greeks have any claim to that nither,Macedonians clearly were not Greeks, and certainly have nothing to do with modern Greece.

Oh yeah... A greater Albania will solve the issue of Balkan instability...right...

No, when these nationalist blokes sh-t the f--k up and stop influencing politics for their own gains will there ever be peace.

Creating supernations or carving out historical entites etc to create a new nation etc... will only lead to more blood shed not stop it. That is what has been at issue for over a century. You have Kosovo... where both groups have a historic claim per having lived there for several hundred years... now... we also have that entity in one hand, then if it changes to the other, the former will want to reclaim it, and a cyclic form of violence ensues again... instead both sides' nationalist just simply sh--t the f--k up and we move on to a more peaceable resolotion one that allows for both... like what happened under Tito... a shared entity where both groups were respected, and Albanians could practice virtual independence while Serbs could see a map with Kosovo as part of Serbia and make sure that their religious centers in Kosovo are preserved.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:17
Originally posted by Anton

This is completely wrong statement! There are plenty of different minorities living in other European states without any conflicts and territorial claims. Balkan solution will come only when people like you change your point of view. What do you suggest? Population exchange? Plenty of people won't go from places they live for centuries. Changes of borders? Typical reason for conflicts. As an Albanian -- will you agree to get rid of territories inhabited by Greek, Vlach, Slavonic and Roma speaking population?  What are you going to do with the later? Suggest them to create their own state? Where?

Two of the same mind Clap... there is hope after all. Micro states are the worst thing that has happened and is happening to the Balkans. The mindset needs to change and nationalist politicians need to stop having popular and foreign support.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:21

Before the Byzantine theme there was a Roman province of Macedonia which extended on a larger area, thus there's a historical justification (if people really need one) to call several areas/countries/counties/whatever on names derived from Macedonia.

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:21
How about renaming Macedonia to Northern Macedonia and Greece to Southern Macedonia. Would that solve the issue?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:21
Originally posted by Flipper

It's been called that forever, and officially so, too.

You shouild do a geography lookup on Macedonia before saying that.

The area of the FYROM was called Paionia and the western part was a piece of Illyricum, inhabited before the Slavic and Bulgar migrations by Thracians and to the west by Illyrians. Pelagonia is a small part of the country, that became Macedonian province after the Macedonian Kindoms expansion to the north. Macedonia in early years was divided in the following provinces/subkindoms:

Upper Macedonia

ORESTIS Kastoria province, Greece
TYMPHAEA Grevena province, Greece
ELIMEIA S. Kozane province, Greece
EORDAEA N. Kozane province, Greece
LYNKESTIS Florina province, Greece
PELAGONIA Monastiri (Bitola), FYROM

Lower Macedonia

AMPHAXITIS Kilkis province, Greece
ALMOPIA Pella province, Greece
PIERIA Pieria province, Greece
BOTTIAEA Emathia province, Greece
KRESTONIA N. Thessalonike province, Greece
MYGDONIA E. Thessalonike province, Greece
ANTHEMOUS S. Thessalonike province, Greece

Expansion under Philippos II

BISALTIA E. Thessalonike province, Greece
SINTIKE Serres province, Greece
ODOMANTIS Drama province, Greece
EDONIS Kavalla province, Greece
THASSOS Kavalla province, Greece
CHALKIDIKE Chalkidike province, Greece
SOUTHERN PAEONIA Gevgeli province, FYROM

If we speak about medieval times Macedonia was displaced to Thrace Confused for some aqward reason and the administrative areas were divided in Themata (themes) by the Byzantines.

Unless all of the people in the S. State just woke up in the 90s then understandable. And no it is just a name no matter how you put it.

No, it was not during the 90s...It's longer than that, but that's when the world got to know about it.

It has no spiritual value nor identity value the two are two completely different historic things, only thing is that the former conquered the latter, and the latter adopted that name in order to save face, but beforehand not only despised them but considered them as great examples of barbarism.

We conquered Thebes, Athens and some of their allies. We created the Panhellenion league. Could you please explain who saved face? The Athenians? Macedonians? Thebans?

As for the dispice, see who the Allies are under the Peloponesian war. During classical age, the relations of Athens and Macedonia are not bad at all.

For the way you use the barbarism term i suggest you take a look here: http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=15134, pages 3, 4  and 16 for an accurate usage of the term.

I will also note one more time es_bih, that the issue is not plainly about the name, but rather about the behaviour and motives. I think Leonidas was very correct pointing out the official stance of Greece on the matter.

Your problem is that you are corelating Macedonians and Greeks as some ultra ethnic bloc, which clearly was not the case. Greeks looked down upon Macedonians as the sluggish brutish cousins who never did, while Phillip conqured Greece then the attitude may have changed a bit...Not my problem you have a overly nationalist ideoogy of your past, whats the next thing, The Byzantine Empire was a Greek Empire because some Western writer trying to legitimize the German empire of the Romans said it was even though that former empire found that an insult?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:23
That is as absurd as Albanian nationalists calling Kosovo, Dardania.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:27

Your problem is that you are corelating Macedonians and Greeks as some ultra ethnic bloc, which clearly was not the case. Greeks looked down upon Macedonians as the sluggish brutish cousins who never did, while Phillip conqured Greece then the attitude may have changed a bit...Not my problem you have a overly nationalist ideoogy of your past, whats the next thing, The Byzantine Empire was a Greek Empire because some Western writer trying to legitimize the German empire of the Romans said it was even though that former empire found that an insult?

So Greeks as you say, meaning Athenians I guess, were looking down on Aeolians and Megarians as well. So did the Spartans towards Athenians.

You didn't spend a minute checking out an issue analyzed briefly on this site and continue to post inaccuracies.

In the end you accuse me of having the nationalist ideology. That is an easy way of defence, having no real effect though on a rhetorical level. Shall I accuse you for ignorance? I don't think that would be proper. I'd rather suggest you doing a good lookup before making statements and be willing to discuss and analyze things with you. We are members of a history community and I believe that when we all deal with historical issues, we shouldn't be more carefull in making statements about a matter. That would be:

1. Statement / View
2. Analysis
3. Sources

If you want to comment the historical issue i suggest you participate on the thead i refered to, after reading the index which covers all issues discussed. Just to avoid repetitions of the same things. Legacy issues, as I would call the barbarism comment of yours.

Edited by Flipper - 13-Feb-2008 at 16:38

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:41
Since this topic has veered into the ever so intense domain of a previously blacklisted topic I shall move it to our subforum, the Minefield. Please continue your discussions there. To top it all you can now discuss FYR Macedonia without thinking you have violating the CoC. Just something to keep in mind - maintain your civility towards eachother. Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 18:12
Originally posted by Flipper

So Greeks as you say, meaning Athenians I guess, were looking down on Aeolians and Megarians as well. So did the Spartans towards Athenians.

You didn't spend a minute checking out an issue analyzed briefly on this site and continue to post inaccuracies.

In the end you accuse me of having the nationalist ideology. That is an easy way of defence, having no real effect though on a rhetorical level. Shall I accuse you for ignorance? I don't think that would be proper. I'd rather suggest you doing a good lookup before making statements and be willing to discuss and analyze things with you. We are members of a history community and I believe that when we all deal with historical issues, we shouldn't be more carefull in making statements about a matter. That would be:

1. Statement / View
2. Analysis
3. Sources

If you want to comment the historical issue i suggest you participate on the thead i refered to, after reading the index which covers all issues discussed. Just to avoid repetitions of the same things. Legacy issues, as I would call the barbarism comment of yours.

You can accuse me of ignorance all you want... of course there was rivalry among city states, there was a considerable level of rivalry among dozens of Turkic emirates in Anatolia until the Ottomans won gained hegemony. The fact remains that Macedonia was a seperate entity, of course with a heavy Greek influence in its primacy due to the fact that its own people and its own intellectual base was not so well developed. I never disputed that they have no Greek influence or that they are not distantly related, however, to say A is B thus C is A is absurd. Yes, when one tends to fight so passionately for a insignificant name, that would be deemed nationalism...

The issue is really not over who is right or who is wrong, it is childish to the core, it is a name, if they use it, as they have for a while now to call that country that; that in itself should have no corelation to any intellectual discussions at hand about the authenticity of this or that theory either. It is a freaking name for God's sake. Should we condemn Austrians for calling their country Osterreich instead of Austria as a lot of other countries call them? No.. it would be ridicoulos, now if they were arguing if the Austrians were German or not, then still we can't put that intellectual discussion into a political perspective, we had to keep level headed and use a bit of common sense at the end of the day and understand all it is is a freaking name. As long as you and others keep this stance both sides will quarrel over nothing for decades to come. Yes there is a lot wrong with the  Macedonian side's take, too. Why?, well for one they are not the sole inheritors of that regions gene pool, so are plenty of other peoples whose modern nation states inhabit parts of Macedonia today. Nevertheless, to say that they in no way shape or form have Macedonian heritage is wrong too. Most of the Peloponesus has non Greek origin in modern times should we deem them non-Greek, of course not because they have mixed origins alongside their Greek, and Greek Culture. Now the Macedonians do not necessarily have a Macedonian culture as it is hard in itself to single that out, but perhaps some folk customs in rulral regions do retain something. It is true for example in Yugoslavian regions that there are carryover Illyrian traditions so why not the same for Macedonia's case. Admitting that won't force you to say that they are completly right, nor will letting them use the name internationally without picking a fight like 2 teenagers. It is not rocket science, its common sense. A name is a name. There is no reason to attach so much intellectual crap to it on a political level. A sound intellectual argument can defeat an absurd one any day, we have had instances of afrocentrism, and other forms of rather un intellectual thought here on the forum and people posted away at the extensive lack of credibility. Greek scholars can do that too if they feel the need to. HOwever, what does that have to do with them using the name for the country? Nothing, because I have asked that question and every single person so far with feelings that it should not gives me the same intellectual basis which has nothing to do, nor is 100% correct either.

Noting this we can see that the Balkans wont have any peace for at least a century to come.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 18:21
Besides didn't Greek athetes protest and attempt to boycot events where Phillip wanted to participate in on the account that they deemed him a barbarian? 
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 18:42
Yall want a solution to the Balkan crisis? Here are some of my helpful tips:

First off, make sure all bathroom stalls have enough toilet paper. Everybody hates it when they go into a stall and find out that all their roles have been used. It makes everybody super pissed.

Second, ban the use of flags. The material used to make them is wasted to represent political and national symbols instead of making the latest design in fashion, or to make a cozy blanket to sleep in. Some people like seeing flags that represent "them," but not everybody.

Last tip, if you want peace in the balkans, hand out free drugs to all households. Everybody will be too high to even think about lifting a gun instead of grabbing some munchies
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 19:10

The fact remains that Macedonia was a seperate entity

Like Molossia, Aetolia, Thessaly, Athens & Alies, Sparta, Argos, Arcadia, Crete, Cyprus, Lesbos, the cities of Sicely and many more. Your point after this?

, of course with a heavy Greek influence in its primacy due to the fact that its own people and its own intellectual base was not so well developed. I never disputed that they have no Greek influence or that they are not distantly related, however, to say A is B thus C is A is absurd.

Heavy Greek influence. Can you point out when Hellenization occured then? Nobody has ever prooven Hellenization. Assumptions were many back in the days. One of the oldest established Greek cities, discovered in the early 80s called Aiani, was the capital of one of the Upper Macedonian subkindoms. The bibliography about it was first released in the 21rst century however Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiani

Now, can we speak of Hellenization in the 14th century BC? Note that the Kindom  of Macedonia was created by the Argeads much later...

http://concise.britannica.com/ebc/art-84137/Ancient-artifacts-that-have-been-discovered-in-Aiani-prove-that

If you want to continue about the historical matters of the ancient history of the area you know were to discuss it. I thought we were supposed to discuss balkan crisis here.

Yes, when one tends to fight so passionately for a insignificant name, that would be deemed nationalism...

Don't put words in my mouth. Most Greeks here have pointed out to you that it is not a simple name issue, but the motives and actions behind that camouflage. We've seen a lot, to be annoyed. Being called a Grkman (A Slavomacedonian who wants to be Greek), Ethiopian and other things may piss someone off. It is more a matter of reacting to disrespectfull behaviours, than nationalism.

The issue is really not over who is right or who is wrong, it is childish to the core, it is a name, if they use it, as they have for a while now to call that country that; that in itself should have no corelation to any intellectual discussions at hand about the authenticity of this or that theory either. It is a freaking name for God's sake.

There is something called dialog...To avoid that and sneak around someones back is more childish than anything. Again, you return to the name issue instead of the practical deeper problems.

Should we condemn Austrians for calling their country Osterreich instead of Austria as a lot of other countries call them?

Or Hellas being called Greece, instead of Hellas, a name which only Norway and Cyprus use as far as I know. Remember the Graikoi were a tribe from Epirus and Boiotia. They were Hellenes, but all Hellenes were not Graikoi. The name was equaled later to Hellenes, since they were amongst the first tribes to use that ethnic term.

No.. it would be ridicoulos, now if they were arguing if the Austrians were German or not, then still we can't put that intellectual discussion into a political perspective, we had to keep level headed and use a bit of common sense at the end of the day and understand all it is is a freaking name. As long as you and others keep this stance both sides will quarrel over nothing for decades to come. Yes there is a lot wrong with the  Macedonian side's take, too. Why?, well for one they are not the sole inheritors of that regions gene pool, so are plenty of other peoples whose modern nation states inhabit parts of Macedonia today. Nevertheless, to say that they in no way shape or form have Macedonian heritage is wrong too. Most of the Peloponesus has non Greek origin in modern times should we deem them non-Greek, of course not because they have mixed origins alongside their Greek, and Greek Culture. Now the Macedonians do not necessarily have a Macedonian culture as it is hard in itself to single that out, but perhaps some folk customs in rulral regions do retain something. It is true for example in Yugoslavian regions that there are carryover Illyrian traditions so why not the same for Macedonia's case.

Wouldn't Paionia would be more correct geographically? As for the Yugoslavian regions, let me remind you that in the 18th century there was a romantic period where Serbs were the Illyrians. Even Greek sources refer to Serbo-Croatian language as Illyriki (Illyrian) [@HEROI: remember we're talking about Romantism, not facts].

Admitting that won't force you to say that they are completly right, nor will letting them use the name internationally without picking a fight like 2 teenagers.

Again...Who is unwilling to discuss?

It is not rocket science, its common sense. A name is a name. There is no reason to attach so much intellectual crap to it on a political level. A sound intellectual argument can defeat an absurd one any day, we have had instances of afrocentrism, and other forms of rather un intellectual thought here on the forum and people posted away at the extensive lack of credibility.

There are places called Athens, Sparta, Syracuse, Olympus around the world. Even a country called Molossia. Do you see any reactions from Greece for that? If the issue was just a name and nothing more, then you would see Greece accusing many states around the world for using names improperly. Wink Doesn't thank make you think at all?

Es Bih, i believe you simply attach the problem on a surface called "the name". Remember, that Greece does not at this point deny the usage of the term "Macedonia", as long as it is used in a reasonable way and is accompanied with a describing word, distinguishing it from the geographic area of the historic region. Also remember that the international diplomats do not urge Greece to agree on a solution. It is the other part that is being urged to behave in the terms of international diplomacy.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 19:13

Besides didn't Greek athetes protest and attempt to boycot events where Phillip wanted to participate in on the account that they deemed him a barbarian? 

Why don't you check out the 16 pages thread containing all the answers to your questions?

1. It was not Philip. It was his ancestor Alexander I.
2. Some people protested, like they always did when they received strong competition. That is why they had the Hellenodikai, a jury examining the right of an athlete to participate in the Olympics, where only Hellenes could participate.
3. There was no doubt about Alexanders I heritage and he participated.

May I ask you to post such questions, on the other thread, if you believe they haven't been answered already there?

http://allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=15134

Edited by Flipper - 13-Feb-2008 at 19:44

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>