Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solution to the Balkan crisis?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solution to the Balkan crisis?
    Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 13:32
The politics are in most of the cases advantageous for mightier ones, i.e. those having stronger armies. When Habsburgs, Ottomans, Russian Empire or even USSR grabbed parts of the Balkans, no diplomacy could make them change their plans.

Edited by Chilbudios - 09-Feb-2008 at 13:33
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 10:28
The Balkans won't change, nor do they need to. Again, the problem lies in former Yugoslavia, which was exactly a federation of different nations. It's impossible putting all these nations in one Union, except if this Union is not solely Balkan, aka the EU.

Do not treat the Balkans as if they are a problematic  disease. Again, 2/3s of the Balkan territory lived peacefully for decades. And nowadays , with the EU, things will , hopefully, improve. Yes, there will always be problems. But surely, we are not in 1912-13 anymore.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 12:11
Originally posted by JanusRook

Oh and Greece needs to stop being childish about certain neighboring states. That might help one of the Balkan problems.

That was clearly a comment to cause provocation!

A certain neighbouring state should learn to behave internationally (like a certain man failed to do in the UN congress yesterday), stop spreading state sponsored propaganda (like the Rosetta stone witnessed on this forum) and respect the fact that many people around it use a certain name for a reason of their own. If you can't understand that the issue implied is not just a name but something much bigger for some, don't put labels about childish behaviours.

Thank you!

Edited by Flipper - 11-Feb-2008 at 16:13

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 18:01
.... Childish behavior experienced above...

If they feel that that is the proper name; then it is. If we feel that the United States of the Great Plains, it is our right to do so, too. Not to mention that that certain neighbor lives on that certain land, and that its neighbors have a laundry closet comparably full of propaganda and wishful thinking as well.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 18:26
Free Kosovo, destroy nationalism and live and let live.

And I say this from the comfert of an armchair on a computer 1,500 miles away.
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 18:55
Originally posted by es_bih

If they feel that that is the proper name; then it is. If we feel that the United States of the Great Plains, it is our right to do so, too. Not to mention that that certain neighbor lives on that certain land, and that its neighbors have a laundry closet comparably full of propaganda and wishful thinking as well.

A quick correction

a)The name is also used by two million people of other ethnicity who don't want to give up their name to total strangers
b)The neighbor you mention lives in a portion of that certain land, a small one that is.
c)Greece does use some propaganda as any other nation but it's nothing compared to the fallacies taught in FYROM schools.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 18:57

Start by defining childish first, give an example above and then we can discuss it. I give exact references for my comments.

If they feel that that is the proper name; then it is.

Then we should all do whatever we feel is proper without thinking twice, nor respecting each other, nor willing to cooperate or discuss. It is like the noizy neighbour who  decides to cut some trees with the chainsaw, 4 am in a tuesday morning, without thinking or carrying that people might be sleeping (and having the right to do so).

If we feel that the United States of the Great Plains, it is our right to do so, too.

Action and reaction my friend...We can all do what we feel, but lets not forget we don't live in a dreamworld. Realities are different that what we ideally wish. We shouldn't ignore the practical effects of them.

If we think with that logic, in what "Is our right" to do, everyone for himself, the balkans would be ashes now...Seriously...

Not to mention that that certain neighbor lives on that certain land, and that its neighbors have a laundry closet comparably full of propaganda and wishful thinking as well.

Maybe we should all refresh our memory of what that certain land is geographically (much smaller in other words -> Orestes, Bottia, Pieria, Emathia, Mygdonia, Elimnia, Lynchistes and later Pelagonia), otherwise we can start discussing endless borders or even a weird displacement depending on the timeframe we examine. New Mexico is not Mexico.

As for the rest of the comment, Vorian covered me completely. Clap

Edited by Flipper - 11-Feb-2008 at 19:08

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 19:06
and respect the fact that many people around it use a certain name for a reason of their own

No one confuses Modern Americans as continuing the cultural traditions of Ancient Americans, let that issue be the same over there.

Also let's nip this in the bud people as I believe it is still a blacklisted topic, I'm ending it here please everyone else do so.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 19:10
Thanks Janus!
Sorry if I was kinda sharp. I really hope it is as you say it. Thumbs%20Up

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 19:49
By my opinion, a big problem, except from the stubbornes everywhere in the Balkans, is the complete failure of third party diplomats. I don't think anyone so far was able to soften any parts. Probably because generic practices of diplomacy were used and none of the diplomats could really see things from the Balkan perspective. In the end, it ended up pissing off people or making them loose faith in those attempts. 

Sometimes, I feel a solution (as we see it now) would just forward some problems in the future. For the moment, I feel that border changes won't do any good. The focus should be layed on more practical issues. How can you ensure that certain populations, "alien" to the country governing an area can be equaly represented in all aspects of everyday life?

Furthermore, I believe the UN should be responsible for monitoring things. So far, you see third party organizations again, of uncertain nature, flerting with anything of interrest.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 15:57
Originally posted by Vorian

A quick correction

a)The name is also used by two million people of other ethnicity who don't want to give up their name to total strangers
b)The neighbor you mention lives in a portion of that certain land, a small one that is.
c)Greece does use some propaganda as any other nation but it's nothing compared to the fallacies taught in FYROM schools.

And by millions who don't see it as such a big deal.

Greece asserts a direct link to that certain name, which is not so direct either.

They are not total strangers they've lived there for 1500 years, and its been inhabitated for over 2500, an I'm sure a gene or two of that gene pool mixed with the  current one ;)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 16:01
Originally posted by Flipper

Start by defining childish first, give an example above and then we can discuss it. I give exact references for my comments.

If they feel that that is the proper name; then it is.

Then we should all do whatever we feel is proper without thinking twice, nor respecting each other, nor willing to cooperate or discuss. It is like the noizy neighbour who  decides to cut some trees with the chainsaw, 4 am in a tuesday morning, without thinking or carrying that people might be sleeping (and having the right to do so).

If we feel that the United States of the Great Plains, it is our right to do so, too.

Action and reaction my friend...We can all do what we feel, but lets not forget we don't live in a dreamworld. Realities are different that what we ideally wish. We shouldn't ignore the practical effects of them.

If we think with that logic, in what "Is our right" to do, everyone for himself, the balkans would be ashes now...Seriously...

Not to mention that that certain neighbor lives on that certain land, and that its neighbors have a laundry closet comparably full of propaganda and wishful thinking as well.

Maybe we should all refresh our memory of what that certain land is geographically (much smaller in other words -> Orestes, Bottia, Pieria, Emathia, Mygdonia, Elimnia, Lynchistes and later Pelagonia), otherwise we can start discussing endless borders or even a weird displacement depending on the timeframe we examine. New Mexico is not Mexico.

As for the rest of the comment, Vorian covered me completely. Clap

It's childish to offer such a backlash over a simple name.

I provided you with a silly example that is as silly as half of Balkan national ideology.

We do live in a dreamworld where going over a name is a f---ing reality Dead. If that is not childish I do not know what else could be?

America is a modern term anyway, thus no connection to pre-Columbian America in any way really.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 18:26
You say that because you see it as a simple name...It's not just a simple name for others, nor is the tention so big just for the name. If that is what you think, then I can see your point, but it does definetely not reflect as a whole the situation. Besides, you could have enumerated many examples of numerous "childish" behaviours from the other part as well, if you wanted to reach a spherical perspective.

A name can always be discussed in a civil way. Just in the same way you inform your neighbours about your noisy birthday party.

Many things in life, fail because the lack of respect and lack of understanding. As for the reality, people often fail to see the practical results of their actions.

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 19:07
Flipper, I live in a country called Romania and I'd find it really weird, not to call it somehow else, if someone will ask me how dare Romanians to usurp the names of the Romans, instead of leaving it for Italians, French or others (and also please note roughly half of my country's territory was not even a Roman province).

The same should go for Moldova, Turkey, Macedonia and several other countries. If only for Macedonia the arguments get heated, then I see it as a problem with those people, not with a country having the name which it has.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 19:47
Es bih:

As Janus noted, this topic is blacklisted. You will drop the topic immediately. If we are to complain of childishness, we would do best to refrain from having to have the last word after everyone has been told to end a blacklisted discussion.

And that goes for everyone else as well.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 12-Feb-2008 at 19:48
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 23:21
Im sorry but I have to say, making inflammotray comments about a black listed topic and then when it has infammed some of our members, cutting it all off by saying 'its black listed' anway -  is not right.

I think better informed and updated views of the two offical positions may be well in order for some in here before making such comments. The issue for the Greek government is not over ownership over the label, rather to make it clear its not exclusive. Dont belive me? read a newspaper

No one confuses Modern Americans as continuing the cultural traditions of Ancient Americans, let that issue be the same over there.
The USA doesnt claim or use their titles/names either. So lets have the same policy over there

Edited by Leonidas - 12-Feb-2008 at 23:21
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 04:24
Balkanize...??

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 07:41
Originally posted by Flipper

You say that because you see it as a simple name...It's not just a simple name for others, nor is the tention so big just for the name. If that is what you think, then I can see your point, but it does definetely not reflect as a whole the situation. Besides, you could have enumerated many examples of numerous "childish" behaviours from the other part as well, if you wanted to reach a spherical perspective.

A name can always be discussed in a civil way. Just in the same way you inform your neighbours about your noisy birthday party.

Many things in life, fail because the lack of respect and lack of understanding. As for the reality, people often fail to see the practical results of their actions.

It's been called that forever, and officially so, too. Unless all of the people in the S. State just woke up in the 90s then understandable. And no it is just a name no matter how you put it. It has no spiritual value nor identity value the two are two completely different historic things, only thing is that the former conquered the latter, and the latter adopted that name in order to save face, but beforehand not only despised them but considered them as great examples of barbarism.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 07:43
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Flipper, I live in a country called Romania and I'd find it really weird, not to call it somehow else, if someone will ask me how dare Romanians to usurp the names of the Romans, instead of leaving it for Italians, French or others (and also please note roughly half of my country's territory was not even a Roman province).

The same should go for Moldova, Turkey, Macedonia and several other countries. If only for Macedonia the arguments get heated, then I see it as a problem with those people, not with a country having the name which it has.

Yes that is offensive ;), you must change it to Dacia. LOL

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 07:47
Ako its being used relatively to other countries and other situations of name changes etc... not about the topic that is blacklisted.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>