Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKosovo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
Author
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kosovo
    Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 12:27
Fact remains that the demographic evolution of the Albanians changed greatly the ethnological structure of Kossovo. Albanians in the past weren't such a big majority as they're today.

I don't deny the right of the albanian people of Kossovo to have their own state, and even unite with Albania (if they want to).
The way however this whole thing happened, with NATO bombing Serbia, and fabricating stats etc, is what's bothering me.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 15:08
Congratulations to Kosovo for her independence. Most of the free world will support this event with official recognition. After enduring much turmoil in the 1990's the Kosovo Albanians will have the power to govern herself.

Some consternation has been made that this event may open a pandoras box being that the Balkans are so fragile. There may be some merit along this line of thought. However, a Serbian rite to govern Kosovo has been diminished by the actions of the Milosovic governement that inevitably led to this day. Being that this issue is directly laid at the footsteps of many Balkan countries some forumers could see the precarious condition. On the other hand this is not some distant land where opinons are spoken haphazardly but very close to home.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 16:11
Serbians were the majority until Turks wiped them out in 1897 remember? That's only a decade before the Balkan wars.

Serbs left the region following the Austrian-Turkish War in the 17th century. The Albanian element began their path to dominance during that time. By the 19th century Albanians were in majority by around 65%, which grew to around 70% in the Balkan war era. This was pushed both by the influx of Albanian "muhaxhers"(wanderers) that were forced to flee from areas of Novi Pazar and Nis and by Serbs leaving the province. A process of colonization began after 1912 that reduced the Albanian number of about 50%, which then regrew to 90% in modern day.

These are the numbers most generally used... ofcourse, there are variants that are used by different sides(for instance some Serbs still claim that Albs were around 30% during 1912)

and the other side is saying the same thing, they gave everything but complete indepandance but the kosovars would only settle for outright separation. The USA and most EU countries were going against the spirit of the UN mission in kosovo which was all about protecting not separating the province from Serbia.

I did recognize the other side of the equation, which is why I stated that "compromise" was useless. The way Albs saw it, the more time passed the more leverage Serbia was going to wield through a resurgent Russia, which seems to have been the view of the US also.

Staggered levels of independence over time with the serbs who can have some time to get accustomed to the idea would of achieved the same ends though it would of needed long term views and much more patience that we have seen. Now i tend to err on the side of minority self determination where practical, or virtual independence if not, however not by unnecessary force. I don't believe for a minute there was no other option than what we have witnessed, but hey the US get a new military base...

Neither side was going to back down. For Serbia, the waiting game was not necessarily a bad one. It simply could freeze the conflict until some event occurs that throws things in its direction.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 18-Feb-2008 at 16:19
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 16:18
Originally posted by Anton

There are plenty of tensions including Osetins in Russian part of Caucasus. It might be most loyal to Moscow but it would not be that difficult to burn a fire there too. For instance playing on Osetin-Ingush conflicts and inability of Moscow to prevent events like Beslan.

I have never heard about any Ossetian separatists in Russia. But with enough determination you can have "fire" everywhere including Bulgaria with the Muslim minority. 
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 16:30
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I have never heard about any Ossetian separatists in Russia. But with enough determination you can have "fire" everywhere including Bulgaria with the Muslim minority. 

Yes, you can. That's why Kosovo precendent may be quite dangerous in any state with minorities. However situation with Osetia would be more tough as there were already events like Beslan.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 16:38
Originally posted by HEROI

No man ,the pandora box has not been opened,but it is Russia who wants to see it that way.Kosovo is not the same as any other regional conflict in the world.I could only think of the Basque movement in Spain who is quite simmilar.

Of course. Russia is the bad guy as always. Thumbs%20Down There are no any Georgians in Ossetia and Abkhazia and they are complitely independent in their internal and even external policy for more than 10 years. They in fact have much more reasons to declare independence than anyone else.
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 16:59

Of course. Russia is the bad guy as always. Thumbs%20Down There are no any Georgians in Ossetia and Abkhazia and they are complitely independent in their internal and even external policy for more than 10 years. They in fact have much more reasons to declare independence than anyone else.
Even more, most of population in those republics have Russian citizenship. If not most, then at least very large part of the population.
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 17:43
Originally posted by Seko

Congratulations to Kosovo for her independence. Most of the free world will support this event with official recognition. After enduring much turmoil in the 1990's the Kosovo Albanians will have the power to govern herself.

I can understand America supporting it's independence, it's in their interest that a war break out so that they can sell weapons, but I do not understand the Europeans: if they confirm  it then other nations like Scotland, Greenland and other can claim their independence - but they will not give it to them

I myself am against the independence, thou they should have a great autonomy...
and it's not fault of the Serbs that the Albanians overwhelmed them
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:08
Originally posted by Illirac

I can understand America supporting it's independence, it's in their interest that a war break out so that they can sell weapons, but I do not understand the Europeans: if they confirm  it then other nations like Scotland, Greenland and other can claim their independence - but they will not give it to them

At last someone talking without precautions on this matter! Bravo!

I myself am against the independence, thou they should have a great autonomy...

Clap

Bravo again! I have stated before in a discussion with Heroi, that an attempt to give autonomy, equal rights, representation in the parliament and any other means that would give the same living standards to the Albanians as citizens, would be the optimal solution. I wonder though how this was never brought on to the table. Correct me if i'm mistaken.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:24
Originally posted by Flipper

At last someone talking without precautions on this matter! Bravo!

Well, thanksBig%20smile

And the next step of Kosovo will probably be the unification with Albania.
The situation: Kosovo claimed independence, only Russia and Serbia are against it. When Scotland declares it, no major nation will support it, and that's what I dislike. They want others to loose territory(as I said before it's in their interest) but they will not give other nations independence...if it is this way, Istria here in Croatia could claim it's independence.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:24
Yes, the precedent is set. Let us now welcome collapse and chaos in the world. Clap

Who will be the next to declare independence? Iraqi Kurdistan? Iranian Azerbaijan or may be it's Turkish Kurdistan or Chechnia together with the country of Basques? Bravo EU and USA your gave the best present to the newly elected liberal president of Serbia!   Thumbs%20Down

Perhaps someone forgot that the bad peace is always better than the good war !
Σαυρομάτης
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:25
I really can't understand the objections to Albanian independence. On second thought, yes I can I just don't happen to agree with it.

That must be it Illirac! The USA needs to sell more weapons in the Balkans.

No, it is totally the fault of the Serbs. After confiscating as much land and ethnically cleansing that land of Bosnians and Albanians then later blaming the victims for a US sponsored victory you think that the Serbians are to be trusted? Where was a working constitution that allowed rights to them before the war? Since the Albanians have been the majority at Kosovo it is not a mater of overwhelming 100,000 Serbians as it the repercussions of a faulty Serbian strategy that backfired.

One thing you did mention is an example of Greenland or Scotland. England and the polar bears haven't had any ambitions of conquest lately.

Independence claimed after a war is a different matter than independance sought prior to armed battles. That is when the rules change.

Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:26

Perhaps someone forgot that the bad peace is always better than the good war !

a bad peace is even worse then war - Tacitus
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:31
I do not agree Seko,
You think that USA would let California, Carolina or whatever country(in the USA) to claim it's independence even if there are no more Americans but lets say, Albanians?, no one would support it, and a war of occupation would break perhaps...
the difference is that the USA can do whatever they want to since they control EU: what USA do, also EU do

General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:31
1. Albanian side doesnt want autonomy, it wants independence.
2. Albs there had autonomy and it was simply revoked on false pretenses. What says it wont happen again?

They want to act as an independent country and no longer wish to have anything to do with Belgrade. The war cost up to 10,000 lives, the destruction of thousands of homes, and still lingers in the mind of its citizens. People simply dont want to go back to a status quo and will not accept it. Considering what Belgrade did to them, I would say that this is perfectly reasonable.

Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:34
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

Considering what Belgrade did to them, I would say that this is perfectly reasonable.

So, the fault of few madman condemns the whole country?,
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:37
And all of you are forgetting one thing...the EVERYTHING that stands still in Kosovo was spent with the money of Jugoslavia, so they should be thankful for having homes

Edited by Illirac - 18-Feb-2008 at 18:38
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:40
Originally posted by Seko

No, it is totally the fault of the Serbs. After confiscating as much land and ethnically cleansing that land of Bosnians and Albanians then later blaming the victims for a US sponsored victory you think that the Serbians are to be trusted?

Mate, do not include ethnic cleansing issue here. It's entirely different question. It was just used by NATO as a reason to start the war. It is not Serbian know-how, you will fail to name a single nation in the district that did not do such things last let say 100 years. Even 60.

Edited by Anton - 18-Feb-2008 at 18:41
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:48
Anton I included it cause that is one of the causes for US involvement. Even if the Balkans had a history of ethnic cleansing and rewriting the map this event is the latest in a long line. Nothing unusual.

Originally posted by Theodore Felix

1. Albanian side doesnt want autonomy, it wants independence.
2. Albs there had autonomy and it was simply revoked on false pretenses. What says it wont happen again?

They want to act as an independent country and no longer wish to have anything to do with Belgrade. The war cost up to 10,000 lives, the destruction of thousands of homes, and still lingers in the mind of its citizens. People simply dont want to go back to a status quo and will not accept it. Considering what Belgrade did to them, I would say that this is perfectly reasonable.

I agree.
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:51
So, the fault of few madman condemns the whole country?,

A few madmen whose influence seems to exist to this day. The Democratic victory was only at 5% or so and even then, it was only secured because Tadic promised both EU and Kosovo. You still have a vast number of Serbs considering the idea of Albanians living in the region as abhorrent. Its not rare that I hear a Serb say something like "we will have revenge", or "we wont forget" or "we will be back to deal with you". Its not uncommon for me to hear the notion that "Serbs have more right to live in Kosovo than Albanians do".

And all of you are forgetting one thing...the EVERYTHING that stands still in Kosovo was spent with the money of Jugoslavia, so they should be thankful for having homes

They had homes prior to Yugoslavia. Actually, many of the homes were more furnished than they were under the Yugo period, until the Serbian advanced destroyed a heavy portion of the kulla's and old homes (which was repeated in the 90's campaign). Is it their fault that Yugoslavia completely ignored them and centralized everything in Belgrade?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>