Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kashmir and central Asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kashmir and central Asia
    Posted: 24-Jan-2013 at 07:47
Originally posted by balochii

kashmir was vedic yes, not present hindu which is basically a ganga based culture. Ancient Vedic people were a south/central asian people to begin with, they probably looked compltly different from present day Indians and their culture was totally different

I am afraid you need to check your history of Kashmir. 

It was a great center of classical Hindu religious thought till the afore-mentioned events some 6-700 years ago transpired.

You are again mixing language, ethnicity and culture. 

Language Kashmiri is variously called Dardic (by Pakistan Shield) or by some as more closely linked to the Rig Vedic Sanskrit (as you yourself have previously posted). 

Ethnically it is difficult to be sure about Kashmir, as with any north Indian population. But it is possible that ethnically Kashmiris are closer to the Rif Vedic Indo Aryans or other Proto-Indo-European language from which the Dardic languages have evolved, whichi s probably related to Parthian or related ethnic group - possibly from the Indo Parthians.

Culture is always changing. Kashmir from 300 BC to 400-500 AD was Buddhist.

From 4-500 AD to 1400 AD approx it was Hindu, Shaivaite classical Hindu. Shankara came to Kashmir to read from their library - because it was the best in existence after the destruction of Taxila by the Huns.

From 1400 AD to present it is Muslim and mostly adopted imported cultural elements rather than local as I posted earlier
Venky
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2013 at 13:58
kashmir was vedic yes, not present hindu which is basically a ganga based culture. Ancient Vedic people were a south/central asian people to begin with, they probably looked compltly different from present day Indians and their culture was totally different
Venkytalks View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Venkytalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2013 at 12:07
Originally posted by creek

I found this article interesting http://www.kashmirobserver.com/index.php?id=454

it basically says kashmir has more central asian influence then south asian.

Kashmir was inhabited by Hindus from time immemorial and was a center of Hindu culture. Kashmir Shaivism was one of the foremost schools of Hindu learning. A minister of the Hindu King, originally from Swat valley, married the Hindu King's widow and became the first Muslim King of Kashmir. He started the Kashmir sultanate in the 14th century.

Sultan Sikander, his son, was one of the most bloodthirsty butchers the world has seen. He persecuted the Hindus, made piles of their skulls, destroyed all the temples and centers of learning and laid waste to the whole of the country. 

At the end of his reign there was not a single Hindu left in the Kashmir valley. Either they converted, or died or escaped to the plains. There was no learning, no arts, so music and the population had been decimated. And a once rich kingdom was impoverished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikandar_Butshikan

His son was a more enlightened person and wanted to bring back the glory that had been Kashmir. He called back the Hindus who had migrated to the plains and enticed them with Royal grants and trading opportunities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zain-ul-Abidin

Only some of theHindus returned and they prospered. However from then on Kashmir was a largely Muslim kingdom with a small Hindu minority.

Subsequently, twice again, Hindus were persecuted (but not as badly as Sultan Sikander) and driven out of Kashmir.

Each time they were called back and so they returned to their homeland twice more after the first return. The last time that they returned, only the Pandits returned. Other castes either settled in the plains or had converted long ago.

That is why the only Hindus in Kashmir are Pundits - the rest never returned.

In 1989, the Pundits were again persecuted and they again fled to the plains.

Since everything Hindu was essentially destroyed, Kashmir started again de-novo in 1400s and developed because of the influence of whoever the local rulers imported.

Mostly they imported the Afghan and Central Asian Islamic traditions. So no wonder the Kashmiris are like Afghans and Central Asians.

Venky
Kuyk Koshur View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kuyk Koshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 12:30
Originally posted by ranjithvnambiar

[QUOTE=balochii]^ the article clearly says its shouldn't also be part of pakistan, but pakistan is more closer to kashmir then current India is. Pakistanis are 30% iranic, and also northern parts of punjab are pretty close to kashmiries

Dear Balochi brother, agreed that overall parts of Pak are culturally and ethnically closer to Pak than Hind. But it is not northern Punjab that is similar to Kashmiris at all. North Punjab is similar to Jammu as they are right next to each other without any natural barriers. In Jammu they speak Dogri which is a dialect of Punjabi. I have travelled across Pak and feel the closest resemblance is in Gilgit/Hunza area which is the northern neighbour of KAshmir Valley. Although even they are quite distinct due to mountainous isolation, they have a similar dress and food habits and the traditional art/handicrafts is very similar. Also the language is part of the same Dardic group as them rather than Indic group which Punjabi would fall under. I have also travelled extensively in India but I did not find any cultural similarities - even Himachal was totally different in culture.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kuyk Koshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 12:16

^ the article clearly says its shouldn't also be part of pakistan, but pakistan is more closer to kashmir then current India is. Pakistanis are 30% iranic, and also northern parts of punjab are pretty close to kashmiries

Kashmiri pandits who constituted of 40% of the kashmiri population were driven away from Kashmir by Jihadis in 1989 and now they are living as refugees in Delhi and Jammu.We accepted them as Indians and many NGO organisations are helping them without bothering about their ethnicity.
The only problem in Kashmir is politically supported religious terrorism which is supported by international terrorist organisations like alqaeda,LeT etc.
And some country which has proclaimed itself as friends of Kashmir has taken away Kashmiri land and had sold it to China.

Your figures are totally wrongs. Hindus form 35-40% of the entire State of Jammu, Ladakh & Kashmir. Jammu is predominantly Hindu, Ladakh is a mix of Buddhists and Shia Muslim, whilst Kashmir is predominantly Muslim. These regions are distinct and were artificially put together as one state by the British/Dogra empire rulers from Jammu. If we talk about the Kashmir part only, before the modern freedom struggle began in 1989, Hindus were only about 5% of Kashmir - now they are only 2% because 3% of them decided to move to Jammu or rest of India. The 2% pandits left in Kashmir have no problems whatsoever. The religious hatred is all made up by media and it is in the interest of Indian Army to do so as they need a good reason to be in Kashmir. Muslim Kashmiris still say why don't the 3% who left come back now that the freedom struggle has died down? I'll tell you why, most of them are doing extremely well in India with opportunities they would never have in good old Kasheer!
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kuyk Koshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 12:13
Originally posted by bilal_ali_2000

Huh Kashmir more central asian than suncontinental. This something that which is completely new to me. Could the author please clarify that what he meant by that. Discuss the features of Kashmir which according to him are more central asian than south asian. All the ancient books of the subcontinent talk about Kahmir as a complete part of south asia.
I would even go on to say that Kashmir relatively had less central asian influence compared to Pakistan and India because of its isolation. I would like to know that in which sense the person thinks that Kashmir is more central Asian than South Asian. Even Afghanistan is by many considered pretty much a part of South Asia.    

Bilal sahib, you have asked for examples of Central Asian influence in Kashmir, which nobody had responded to, so I will list them. Our cuisine, the "Wazwan", where 4 people sit around the same giant tray of rice with varieties of meat delicacies served is an exact replica of Bukhari cuisine (ie Uzbek, North Afghan - not Pashtun). Only difference is that ours is spicy and Afghan/Uzbek is bland. We don't eat "roti/chappati" - it is alien to us. Our breakfast is not "curry" like most of South Asia, we have a variety of ethnic bakery products like "kulcha", "cripp", "tsot", "tsotchvoru" etc - all this is shared between the Central Asian states and I have even seen similar breakfast in Turkish villages. With this we have a pink salty tea called Noon Chai which is unique to Kashmir, although Kashmiri emigres to Pakistani Punjab proudly continue this tradition. Next is our dress. Our traditional dress is Kameez Yazaar (which is same as Salwar kameez) with Pheran (a baggy woollen overcoat). In my travels, I have seen the pheran but in a different style in extreme north of Afghanistan and also in Hunza region of extreme north Pakistan whom I would also classify as Central Asian rather than South Asian. Our marriage customs are an exact replica of Central Asians. There is no dowry system or jahez. The husband must pay a good amount of haq maher and wife's family has no duty to pay anything. However, of course we do have a lot of South Asian influence, especially since the advent of the man-made tunnel through the mountains that now artificially links us to India and before that with Pakistan through natural mountain passes (hence the large historical Kashmiri settlements in Pak Punjab). Just because we got mentioned in lots of South Asian history books it doesn't mean we were culturally linked. We were however, religiously linked through the Pandits and Buddhists who were the majority in ancient times and Kashmir was seen as a seat of learning for Buddys and Hindus spreading from China to Afghanistan. I would say our original culture is closer to Central than South Asian, but as time passes our city folk (ie Srinagaris) are becoming closer to South Asia thanks to TV, air travel, education (most Kashmiris now study in Indian universities - there is only one proper uni in Kashmir where we also have a Central Asian Studies department!). In the mountainous villages though, you will still get the purest form of Kashmiri culture and that is where it really hits you that Kashmir is not South Asian at all. I guess its the same rural/metropolitan divide everywhere, the true culture remains preserved in the rural areas whilst the cities have regional and even globalised influences.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kuyk Koshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 12:12
Originally posted by oxydracae

^^ yeah and Kashmiri Muslims were also originally Kashmiri Pandits. This is clear from their surnames.

Yes, those Kashmiri Muslim with Pandit surnames have Hindu ancestors - such as Bhat/Butt, Dhar/Dar etc. But you are totally wrong if you are saying ALL Kashmiri Muslims are pandit by ancestry. As a tributary to the silk route, Kashmir hosted traders from Central Asia and Persia in the carpet, shawl, papier mache trade for centuries. There are equally as many Kashmiri Muslims with non-Pandit ancestry and this is also clear in their surnames. Examples: Badakhsi (from Badakhshan region of extreme north Afghanistan); Zargar (common name in Iran); Drabu (from Darab in Iran); Andrabi (from Andarab in Afghanistan); Hamdani (from Hamedan in Iran). Also there are a small number Kashmiris of Pashtun origin mainly Yusufzai who have been here in the valley for centuries since Kashmir was part of Afghan Empire and briefly known as East Kabul. All these traders/settlers mixed with local kashmiris and formed what is today the gene pool of Kashmiri muslims. Even those with pandit surnames have mixed heavily with the settlers over the centuries and that is why their culture and to an extent physical attributes have diverged from Hindu Kashmiris over the centuries.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kuyk Koshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 11:28
Your figures are totally wrongs. Hindus form 35-40% of the entire State of Jammu, Ladakh & Kashmir. Jammu is predominantly Hindu, Ladakh is a mix of Buddhists and Shia Muslim, whilst Kashmir is predominantly Muslim. These regions are distinct and were artificially put together as one state by the British/Dogra empire rulers from Jammu. If we talk about the Kashmir part only, before the modern freedom struggle began in 1989, Hindus were only about 5% of Kashmir - now they are only 2% because 3% of them decided to move to Jammu or rest of India. The 2% pandits left in Kashmir have no problems whatsoever. The religious hatred is all made up by media and it is in the interest of Indian Army to do so as they need a good reason to be in Kashmir. Muslim Kashmiris still say why don't the 3% who left come back now that the freedom struggle has died down? I'll tell you why, most of them are doing extremely well in India with opportunities they would never have in good old Kasheer!
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2012 at 01:18
^^ yeah and Kashmiri Muslims were also originally Kashmiri Pandits. This is clear from their surnames.
kamran_koshur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote kamran_koshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 14:05
yeah kashmiri pandits are indigenous to kashmir and most of them have reddish to dark brown hair as well as green eyes like the rest of kashmiris. however after leaving kashmir in 1989 because of the conspiracy of the then governor jagmohan , some of them maybe 1 % or even less intermixed with indians and as a result appear to have indic features and that detestable indian accent. the vast majority of them are still caucasian in appearance and speak with a thick rural kashmiri accent . thanx
Káşyren hinz kàşîr
kashmir for kashmiris
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2011 at 14:35
^ i have a question, since you are from kashmir. Are kashmiri pandits really from kashmir? because whenever i see kashmiri pandits they look more (indian) to me then lets say muslim kashmiries, by indian i mean they are usally more darkskinned and speak in Indian accent, but when i see muslim kashmiries they look more dardic or even afghan in origin, I thought they were the same people?
kamran_koshur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote kamran_koshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2011 at 08:46

Kashmiri pandits who constituted of 40% of the kashmiri population were driven away from Kashmir by Jihadis in 1989 and now they are living as refugees in Delhi and Jammu

Kashmiri pànđits form only 300-000 people
or 5% of the total Kashmiri population.These 300 000 include the pànđits
living as refugees outside kashmir

Káşyren hinz kàşîr
kashmir for kashmiris
ranjithvnambiar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2010 at 06:14
Nairs and Nambudiris of Kerala are known to have migrated to south from Ahichatra of Uttar Pradesh during Kadamba Vanavasi rule in South.Kadamba Vanavasi King Mayura Varman invited the Nagavamsi Kshatriyas of Ahikshetra(Ahichatra) to his kingdom for strengthening its borders and protecting it.These nagavamsis later divided int 3 groups one being the Kodavas(Coorgis) of Coorg Shettys ,Bhandaris & Rais (Tulu  bunt Community) of Mangalore and Nairs(Nambiar,Menon,Pillai Kurup and many other subgroups) Of Kerala. Aishvarya Rai belongs to Tulu bunt community.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2010 at 06:07
South is not completely Tamilnadu.Extreme South of India has two states Kerala and Tamilnadu.Genetically there are many similarities and also many differences between the two.Kerala and Karnataka populations are more similar and Andhra pradesh & Tamilanadu populations are more similar genetically but languagewise Malayalam is similar to tamil eventhough it(malayalam) has almost 50% of its vocabulary from sanskrit And Kannada is similar to Telughu.
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2010 at 14:02
^my point the more south you go the different people get, obviously people close to kashmir like from himchal will have large similaties, but as you go south, all the way to tamil nadu the different you get
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2010 at 23:22

^ i am not denying at all that pakistan has darkskinned people, infact a good 30-40% of population, especially in Sindh and southern punjab is darkskinned

My point in posting the photos was, there is great genetical diversity among the people of India but there are genetical similarities too.Kashmiri people are not a totally different race which doesnt have any genetical relations with other Indians.There are people all over India who is genetically similar to Kashmiris.
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2010 at 09:07
^ i am not denying at all that pakistan has darkskinned people, infact a good 30-40% of population, especially in Sindh and southern punjab is darkskinned
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2010 at 00:48
Thats your concept and belief.
You yourself hadmentioned in your earlier posts about finding darkskinned people at several places in pakistan.
The photos of Southindians which I posted there are of G.K.Pillai,Vikram,Swami Chinmayananda,Kamal Haasan and one of a Marathi ie Milind Soman.(Others are kashmiris namely Subhash Kak,Muzammil Ibrahim,Muhammed Iqbal khan,Siddharth Kak,R.K.Raina.)
Of which the first three are Nairs(menon,Pillai,Nambiar al belong to this race).Nairs were known to have a very early presence in South India with Brahmins.Kamaal Haasan is a South Indian Brahmin Iyengar.They are also known to have a very early presence in the area.
I have seen darkskinned people in Northwest of India too but only difference is that they dont wear lungi like south indians.Tribal populations of East India have more dark skinned people than other parts.The caste populations of South India are generally light skinned and tribal populations are darkskinned.
Your concept about dravidians(as per my under standing) is that they are darkskinned people.And that is not true there are as many light skinned dravidians in south as there are darkskinned.
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2010 at 18:19
^ lol totally cherry picking, and who is to say that these south indians did not arrive from north india? even your famous Ashawariya Rai has north indian roots, Pure south indian with no outside influence looks like this:

Edited by balochii - 27-Sep-2010 at 18:19
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2010 at 07:48
Below given are the photos of some famous Kashmiri people and Indians of Other ethnicities mainly people from kerala(dravidians).Can you point out the so called differences in features that you were speaking about.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>