Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are the Turkish people's ancestors?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the Turkish people's ancestors?
    Posted: 27-Nov-2008 at 22:03
10 million turks with greek blood? You think that greeks were existing with the creation of the world?

You do go too far by saying this!!! Of course I did not say this but the Roman/Greeks were there before the Turkic invasion after 1071 AD. The source I read about 10 million Turks having Greek blood is only one source and the numbers could be greater or less than this. My point was about the diversity I found in Turkey. There is no shame in having Slavic, Albanian or Turkic blood. My old history professor use to say that the modern Greeks were descended from the ancient Greeks plus everyone else who came along, same with the Turks.

Even the Greeks in the classical period were mixed

I think you know the Ottoman Empire drew people from all over the known world; both voluntarily and by force. America in many ways is a global empire which is also drawing people from all around the globe.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2008 at 22:43
There is no Greek or Turkish blood, what makes a person Greek or Turkish is not blood but identity, language and historical legacy ie Greeks claim Byzantines as their own while Turks claim Seljuks. However, genetically its more than likely that both sides have ancestors from both sides.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2008 at 22:53
Originally posted by Bulldog

There is no Greek or Turkish blood, what makes a person Greek or Turkish is not blood but identity, language and historical legacy ie Greeks claim Byzantines as their own while Turks claim Seljuks. However, genetically its more than likely that both sides have ancestors from both sides.

Yes. I agree with this.
Σαυρομάτης
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2008 at 09:28

Seljuks are the forefathers fo the Turkish republic as after their expansion to Asia Minor the region became known as Turchia, ruled by Turks and settled by Turks.

You could draw a line of development from the Seljuks to the modern Turkish state, but it's quite a stretch.

Also which Turkic peoples are you referring to? people from Eastern Turkistan, Ozbekistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaycan and Turkey actually don't look too different to each other. However, with Kazaks, Kirgiz there is a difference.

None in particular. I'm referring to how the popular image of steppe peoples with their horses and yurts collides with the popular image of Mediterranean peoples with their olive groves and white stone housing, and how this causes confusion when you use the same word for both. I agree though, people from the five first regions you mention do share many physical traits, whereas the Kirgiz tend to look Mongoloid and the Kazaks either look Mongoloid, Europoid or like something in between.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2008 at 17:36

Also which Turkic peoples are you referring to? people from Eastern Turkistan, Ozbekistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaycan and Turkey actually don't look too different to each other. However, with Kazaks, Kirgiz there is a difference.

They actually do look different. Perhaps there are indeed some common features; especially for the people of the republic of Turkey and Azeri; but for the others there are much less.
Σαυρομάτης
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 07:59
Turks of Modern Turkey, certainly, do not look like the Oğuz.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 12:53
The Oghuz Turkic speakers today include Turkmenistan, Azerbaycan, Turkey and the Turks in Iran, the Balkans, the Middle East and Cyprus. There is not such a huge difference among their "looks" neither is there a uniform "look".

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 17:05
Originally posted by Spartakus

I am sure that ancient greeks and modern greeks look different
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 21:53
Originally posted by Evrenosgazi

Originally posted by Spartakus

Yeah, ancient Greeks were all blonde nordic warriors like Europeans of 19th century thought.

Sarcasm off
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2008 at 06:19
Originally posted by Evrenosgazi

The nose and eye shape is not that different at all. Especially, the people of the islands don't look that much different.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2008 at 06:23
Originally posted by Vorian

Yeah, ancient Greeks were all blonde nordic warriors like Europeans of 19th century thought.

The problem is that many people still believe that shit...and that Dorians came from the alps. Dead

I remember also, that there was some South African author who had published a book, where in order to support that view he had repainted the hair of people on various art to blonde.

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2008 at 10:01
How people look like is not a that good indicator of their genetic make-up. A better indicator of biological origin is the DNA. Research shows beyond any doubt Anatolian Turkish gene pool is mostly local.

Turkey Turks are a genetically Anatolian people.

End of story. They are genetically much closer to Kurds and Armenians rather than to Kazakhs or Uzbek or other Central Asian Turkics. No amount of Turkish fascists looking at pictures of Kazakhs and saying 'this one looks like my second cousin's sister-in-law's niece' will change that. Looking at the pictures of people to determine their DNA is useless, but nevertheless favourite of all fascists on the internet: 'Look, this kid is blond, so the Ancient Greeks came from Germany'...

Of course,
1. DNA has no ethnicity
2. it is only a minor component in defining an old-world ethnicity, if at all,
so one should be careful when talking about this subject, in order not to write moronic crap like "'real' Turks look like Mongols, so there are no Turks in Turkey".   

Same with the Greeks. I don't think there is big difference between the DNA of Ancient and modern Greeks (once they are settled in Greece and the islands). As for the looks, I'd say modern Greeks are more likely to be blond than the ancient ones (even though that is not a good indicator of genetic make-up).
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2008 at 11:19
Beylerbeyi, i agree with you.
Ethnicity as you said has no DNA, only common continuous memories and other small details  that are enough to make people feel akin to each other.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2008 at 17:09
Beylerbeyi
Turkey Turks are a genetically Anatolian people.

End of story. They are genetically much closer to Kurds and Armenians rather than to Kazakhs or Uzbek or other Central Asian Turkics.

It would be more correct to say, Turkey Turks are genetically "diverse", I've even met a few Turks who look Black, I have a Turkish friend here who gets mistaken by Jamaicans who being  a fellow Jamaican LOL

There is no "Turkic" gene or any other "national gene", people in Ozbekistan and Kazakistan are not identical neither are people anywhere else, even between towns there can be genetic differences.

The Turks of Turkey settled in the region before the expansion of the Mongols, its not certain what these Oghuz Turks "genetics" were, one study which could be done is to compare Oghuz Turkic speaking groups. 

Albert Pine

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2008 at 22:06

The Oghuz Turkic speakers today include Turkmenistan, Azerbaycan, Turkey and the Turks in Iran, the Balkans, the Middle East and Cyprus. There is not such a huge difference among their "looks" neither is there a uniform "look".

I am talking about medieval immigrants, not modern day people.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Emil_Diniyev View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Emil_Diniyev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2009 at 00:23
Originally posted by Yami Sasha

I see two types of Turks, ones that live in central asia who have an oriental feature to them tracing them to be direct decendents of those of Mongolia and those of Turkey who have a very Caucasian feature to them.

I was thinking that the original natives of Anatolia (hitties, Lydians, etc...) where forced into speaking turkish when the Seljuk Turks had control of the area, which we have noticed to be true with the Azari's who are of Iranian origin but were forced into speaking Turkish.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Oh, i m tired of those idiots claiming Azeris who are of Iranian origin forced into speaking Turkish.

At least write in Iranian Azeris, that would make sense. Confused

If not Turkish, the second thing Azeris are is Caucasian.

'edited By leo', go and look at traditional cloths, dances etc...

Even look, i look like my Dagestani neighbour, not Persian from thousound of miles away. LOL

Edited by Leonidas - 09-Jan-2009 at 04:10
Emil_Diniyev View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Emil_Diniyev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2009 at 01:04
Watch this and u will understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sV2uXpHdHg
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2009 at 04:11
I am watching this thread. Emil remember the Coc before throwing names around in your post. This is an unoffical warning we cant have any of that here.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2009 at 06:54
Originally posted by Emil_Diniyev

Watch this and u will understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sV2uXpHdHg

The title of this video is offensive to Armenians. Please watch the title before posting the link here. BTW, the dance is pretty good.

I recommend these videos for Azeri dance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyvD2nWH0Z8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYSCTFKYfg
Anfører
dud View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 15:16
The Turks were originally a pastoral nomadic people who lived in the Central Asian Steppes. The Steppes are part of a giant region stretching from Eastern Europe to the Pacific Ocean which was mainly inhabited by pastoral nomadic groups. Among other groups of this area are the Aryan/Vedic people, Mongols, Xiongnu, etc. Very little is known of the history of these peoples before they invaded and conquered settled societies. The Turks were descendants of the Proto Indo-Europeans (but that can be said for most Afro-Eurasian peoples).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>