Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nick Swisher Traded to the White Sox

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nick Swisher Traded to the White Sox
    Posted: 03-Jan-2008 at 19:32
For all those baseball fans out there, ESPN is reporting that Nick Swisher has been traded to the Chicago White Sox. It is reported that the A's are only getting 3 minor leaguers in return for Swisher.

Here is the story as reported by ESPN

Here are his stats for last year ('07) .262 AVG, 22 HR, 78 RBI, .381 OBP, .455 SLG. Is this a good move for the White Sox? Is it also a good move for the rebuilding A's? I know Byzantine Emperor probably won't be too happy about this move.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2008 at 21:46
Originally posted by King John

I know Byzantine Emperor probably won't be too happy about this move.

You bet I am not happy about this move! Cry

The A's are one of my favorite teams and Swisher is pretty much my favorite player out there now.  The Dan Haren trade did not make me happy either, but they at least got a bevy of prospects.

As far as what the move means for the rebuilding A's, it is difficult to tell.  Swisher had power, versatility, high walks and OBP, all things that are GOOD according to Billy Beane's strategy.  Plus, he has a great attitude, was a fan favorite, and boosted the clubhouse spirit.  I really think the A's should have kept him as a young "veteran" to act as the cornerstone for the rebuilt team.  They should have gotten rid of Chavez, Crosby, and Harden before Swisher was even considered.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2008 at 23:23
Thats rather suprising, was it because of monetary reasons I wonder?  I guess I'm neutral on this; the A's are our usual adversaries in the playoffs, but the white sox are our divisional foes. 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply