Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bahai's in Iran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ardeshir View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ardeshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bahai's in Iran
    Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 20:40
Why is it that the Iranian community on finding out that theyre fellow persians are followers of the bahai faith treat them badly??

This is not fair, i mean Bahai's generally get along with and often intermarry with other persian faiths like zarastrians, persian christians but why do moslem persians treat bahai's like this??
Thinking is the essence of wisdom
Conservative View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Conservative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 22:14
Originally posted by Ardeshir

Why is it that the Iranian community on finding out that theyre fellow persians are followers of the bahai faith treat them badly??

This is not fair, i mean Bahai's generally get along with and often intermarry with other persian faiths like zarastrians, persian christians but why do moslem persians treat bahai's like this??

Are you talking about Iranian's in Iran or in the West? In Iran there is a history of persecution of the Bahai's because the Mullahs see it as an affront to Islam. I dont really know anything about Bahai religion but i know that people like Khomeini were strongly against them.

I agree with you though its wrong to discriminate and persecute people for their religious beliefs.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2007 at 05:36
Originally posted by Conservative

In Iran there is a history of persecution of the Bahai's because the Mullahs see it as an affront to Islam. I dont really know anything about Bahai religion but i know that people like Khomeini were strongly against them.

The main belief of the Bahai religion is that all religions are equal and expressions of the same spiritual truths.   Likewise, the founders of the different religions are equal and are teachers of the same spiritual truths. 

I think that the fundamentalist Mullahs were strongly against Bahais because Judaism, Christianity and Zorastarianism are historical faiths that pre-date Islam.    Bahai faith was established in the 18 Century so the fundamentalists see it as not only non Islamic, but as also an artificial religion created in modern times (after the Koranic revelations closed continuing religious development).

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2007 at 06:31
Because Bahais are seen as Apostates.

I don't know if this is actually true, because I don't know which religion they converted from.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2007 at 10:42
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by Conservative

In Iran there is a history of persecution of the Bahai's because the Mullahs see it as an affront to Islam. I dont really know anything about Bahai religion but i know that people like Khomeini were strongly against them.

The main belief of the Bahai religion is that all religions are equal and expressions of the same spiritual truths.   Likewise, the founders of the different religions are equal and are teachers of the same spiritual truths. 

I think that the fundamentalist Mullahs were strongly against Bahais because Judaism, Christianity and Zorastarianism are historical faiths that pre-date Islam.    Bahai faith was established in the 18 Century so the fundamentalists see it as not only non Islamic, but as also an artificial religion created in modern times (after the Koranic revelations closed continuing religious development).

Your Idea is almost correct. Mullahs see bahais  as a threat to Islam and their authorities since bahai spread seperation between faith(religion) and
politics.

@ Omar: Bahais are mostly converted from Islam in Iran.
Ardeshir View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ardeshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2008 at 17:42

why does religion divide us though. doesnt make sense, we should be proud of our persian roots first,, amd whats wrong with seperating religion & state, has combining the two been good or bad for iran??

Thinking is the essence of wisdom
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2008 at 02:18
All the great native Irani dynasties in Iran combined state & religion IIRC. That should answer that question for you.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 06:54
I know an Iranian Baha'i and he has told me of the intolrence of many in Iran directed towards them by the Mullahs and religious ruling classes.   
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 09:09
Mullahs of Iran live in middle ages, but people of Iran want more freedom and other aspects of democracy. Soon or late this theocracy and mullahdom will be finished and every Iranian regardless of their religion and belief will taste the freedom and democracy. 

Edited by Suren - 23-Feb-2008 at 16:17
Anfører
 Post Reply Post Reply