Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Northeast European Tribe, Scythian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northeast European Tribe, Scythian
    Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 00:07
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Sarmat12, I have nothing to say to you, if you believe Sarmatians were also a Turkic people!

I have never wrote anything like this.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 12-Jan-2008 at 00:09
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 01:19
Originally posted by Sarmat12

[

The term Nonsense is not so rude as you think it's just something that makes no sense.  And now explain to me how the city Uriupinsk that was founded at the 14th century utmost (most of the sources actually give 16 century) was founded by Iranic tribes?

If you say that it was or even could, I  have to appologize, but it will mean that your understanding of the Russian history is very extravagant and makes no sense at all from the point of view of established and known facts and all the historical sources on the Russian history of this periods we have.

There simply no any Iranic tribes in the region in 14 century AD.

With the same kind confidence you can say that Uriupinks was found by Aliens and means "The Great Silver UFO" in Alien language.

with the same kind of confidence you may also say that Urupinsk was found by Turks. As for the fact that there were no iranic tribes there -- have you ever heard that toponyms usually stay longer than languages? New ciities are sometimes called based on older toponyms. You can find other explanations as well you just need to think a little.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 16:12
Originally posted by Anton

with the same kind of confidence you may also say that Urupinsk was found by Turks. As for the fact that there were no iranic tribes there -- have you ever heard that toponyms usually stay longer than languages? New ciities are sometimes called based on older toponyms. You can find other explanations as well you just need to think a little.

Turks were in the region in the 14th century and in the 16th century so it's totally natural that the origin of the word is Turkic, while there were not any Iranics in the region at that time.

And I didn't say that it was founded by Turks (i.e. Tatar Cossacks) for sure, I said it was most likely while founding by Iranics is complitely unlikely.

If you you think more a little you can perhaps find the words with the similar phonetics even in Austronesian or Ameridian languages, does it mean that Amazonka Indians were there? This kind of logic is simply flawed.

Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 17:34

And I didn't say that it was founded by Turks (i.e. Tatar Cossacks) for sure, I said it was most likely while founding by Iranics is complitely unlikely.
1.no, you said that other idea was "ridiculous" and "noncense".
2. The question was about origin of the root "Urup"  not nationality of the founders of this great city Tongue

If you you think more a little you can perhaps find the words with the similar phonetics even in Austronesian or Ameridian languages, does it mean that Amazonka Indians were there? This kind of logic is simply flawed.
Iranainan tribes were there earlier for sure.  

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 17:49

1.no, you said that other idea was "ridiculous" and "noncense".

Yes, I can repeat that that idea is nonsense. Other members already wrote that the name Europe comes from the Ancient Greek myth and from Ancient Greek geography. The point of making, Europeans a Skythian tribe. Is simply nonsense IMO.

2. The question was about origin of the root "Urup"  not nationality of the founders of this great city Tongue

Yes, the word Urup in the region of Uriupinsk most likely have Turkic origins. There is also a fair chance that it's Finno-Ugric, but not Iranic. Why? Please tell me why would the people who founded "the great city"  in the 14 or 16 AD century (Russian or Tatars, regardless) use an Iranic toponim. How even they know about an Iranic toponim Urup, while there are reasonable Turkic and Finno-Ugrian explanations of its origins?

I could agree with that theory if the city would appear sometime between 4-6 AD, Iranics were still in the region, but not 1000 later after that time period.

Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 18:41
I told you already why. As a possible explanation. 'cause there was for instance small village with the same root.

Yes, the word Urup in the region of Uriupinsk most likely have Turkic origins.
No, you call the idea that the root is Iranic ridiculous because it is of Turkic origin Tongue
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 19:11

No, you call the idea that the root is Iranic ridiculous because it is of Turkic origin Tongue

Yes, it is ridiculous. It's the same as I say that the word Bulgaria originates from the English word Bull.  Wink  Don't you see the same root there?

Edited by Sarmat12 - 12-Jan-2008 at 19:12
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 19:26
No it is not ridiculous. It is just another idea that whether you support it or not.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 19:53
Of course it's another idea. The assumption that the name Bulgaria originates from the English word Bull is also another idea. So what?

You can think whatever you want. I think that it's ridiculous. And in any case it doesn't make sense.
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 21:11
That is why returning to the beginning of our discussion I think ridiculous is a stuf in heads of some rude mods Wink.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 10:39

Sarmat12, you need to read more about the history! Smile

Herodotus, the father of history, says: "It is reported of the Sarmatia, that when the Greeks fought with the Amazones, whom the Scythians call Urupa." (Hist. 4,110)

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 16:57
So, what?

By quoting Herodotus who lived in 5 century B.C. that wrote that Skythians called Amazones Urupa. You want to prove that Russians or Tatars who lived 2 thousands years later named their city by the Skythian name of Amazones?

Do you think that this is more natural than just naming the city with the name that has origin in their own languages?

Perhaps you need to read more about logic.  Smile

Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 17:13

That is why returning to the beginning of our discussion I think ridiculous is a stuf in heads of some rude mods Wink.

That's why AFAIK some rude mods think that some wise members prefer to demonstrate their advanced arguing skills instead of providing some meaningful facts to support the bizzare points which they like so much. Wink
Σαυρομάτης
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 21:44

Sarmat12, what do you know about Tatars? Is it strange if they use a Persian word for a place name?

Lets talk about their mythology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zilant

Zilant is a legendary creature, something between a dragon and a wyvern. Since 1730, it has been the official symbol of Kazan. This winged snake is a part of Tatar and Russian folklore and is mentioned in legends about the foundation of Kazan.

The word Zilant is the English transcription of Russian Зилант, itself a rendering of Tatar yılan/елан [jɯlɑn`] (i.e., "snake", sometimes pronounced as [ʓɯlɑn`]).

The Tatars themselves, on the other hand, frequently refer to this creature with the Persian word Ajdaha (Dragon) [2] or Ajdaha-yılan (Dragon-snake). For Tatars, it was a repulsive creature, corresponding to European dragons and to Persian dragon. According to Idel-Ural beliefs, any snake that survives for 100 years turns into Ajdaha dragon.[3]

Zilant/Ajdaha should be distinguished from Aq Yılan (White Snake), which is the king of snakes. Aq Yılan [4] or Şahmara [5] advised and helped epic heroes, batırlar [6], often by giving them gifts. As regards his beneficial influence on humans, the White Snake is similar to the Chinese dragon. The word Şahmara [7] is derived from the Persian roots shah (king) and mar (snake).[8]

Coat of arms of Kazan

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 13-Jan-2008 at 21:50
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 23:08
I know many things about Tatars.

The example you raised proves nothing for your theory. Tatar and Turkic languages in general have many borrowings from Persian.

Yes, they used that Persian word for Dragon. So what?

It doesn't have any relation to Uryupinks. Because there are no words in Tatar language with the meaning you suggest. I mean "Urup"

I already wrote earlier what that word means in Turkic. To prove that Uryupinks has Iranic origin you say that Tatars sometimes used the Persian word Ajdaha for dragon.

Very strange way of thinking I would say.
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 00:35

That's why AFAIK some rude mods think that some wise members prefer to demonstrate their advanced arguing skills instead of providing some meaningful facts to support the bizzare points which they like so much. Wink

No, wise members just do not call bizarre points "ridiculous". Because "official" points of view are usually not less bizzare. This is what wise members usually trie to explain rude mods. Tongue
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 15:04

Sarmat12, do expect we believe that the name of Urupinsk and several other places in the north Caucasia, such as Urup river and ancient Urup Copper Mine, come from the name of an unknown Tatar Khan? Was there really a Tatar Khan with the name of Urup? Would you please give more info about him? I couldn't find his name in any historical book!!

http://ethnia.org/ethnia-fiche.php?ask=RU-RU-RU-YU-YU-ST-KC-ZU

Republic of ZELENCHUKO-URUPIA (North Caucasia)

Capital: Urup [GMT+03h00] (Urup)
Local official & national languages: cherkess (cks) national language ~ country name: ZELENCHUSKO-URUPSKY karachay (kar) national language ~ country name: ZELENCHUSKO-URUPSKY russian (ru) national language ~ country name: ZELENCHUSKO-URUPSKY
Official religion: Laicism
Ancient or alternate names: Zelenchuko-Urupia = Zelenchusko-Urupia = Zelenchuk-Urupsk = Zelentchouk-Ouroupsk = Zelentchuk-Urupsk = Zelentchusko-Urupsky = Zelentchouko-Ouroupie = Zelentchousko-Ouroupie.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 14-Jan-2008 at 15:09
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 18:06

Sarmat12, what do you know about Tatars? Is it strange if they use a Persian word for a place name?

Lets talk about their mythology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zilant

Zilant is a legendary creature, something between a dragon and a wyvern. Since 1730, it has been the official symbol of Kazan. This winged snake is a part of Tatar and Russian folklore and is mentioned in legends about the foundation of Kazan.

The word Zilant is the English transcription of Russian Зилант, itself a rendering of Tatar yılan/елан [jɯlɑn`] (i.e., "snake", sometimes pronounced as [ʓɯlɑn`]).

The Tatars themselves, on the other hand, frequently refer to this creature with the Persian word Ajdaha (Dragon) [2] or Ajdaha-yılan (Dragon-snake). For Tatars, it was a repulsive creature, corresponding to European dragons and to Persian dragon. According to Idel-Ural beliefs, any snake that survives for 100 years turns into Ajdaha dragon.[3]

Zilant/Ajdaha should be distinguished from Aq Yılan (White Snake), which is the king of snakes. Aq Yılan [4] or Şahmara [5] advised and helped epic heroes, batırlar [6], often by giving them gifts. As regards his beneficial influence on humans, the White Snake is similar to the Chinese dragon. The word Şahmara [7] is derived from the Persian roots shah (king) and mar (snake).[8]Coat of arms of Kazan

What does this have to do with the similarities between Persians and Scythians? There are many cultures that have similar mythologies but that doesn't mean that they are of the same derivation. Take for example the fact that flood stories happen to be a common element in the mythologies of most cultures. Does this mean that they all have a common ancestry that had flooding? I would say, no. These stories are more indicative of common settlement patterns - most prehistoric and ancient societies settled on the banks of rivers, which at time tend to over flow causing great floods. Again I think you are playing fast and loose with your linguistic examples. I would have to agree with Sarmat12 this topic is ridiculous.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 03:07

Sarmat12, do expect we believe that the name of Urupinsk and several other places in the north Caucasia, such as Urup river and ancient Urup Copper Mine, come from the name of an unknown Tatar Khan? Was there really a Tatar Khan with the name of Urup? Would you please give more info about him? I couldn't find his name in any historical book!!

Please don't attribute to me the words I didn't say. I was talking particularly about the town of Uryupinsk, which is hundred miles away from North Caucasus.

North Caucasus kept Iranic influence for much longer period than the region of Uryupinks andl Iranic Ossetian-Alans, Tats and Talyshs are living there .

Obviously you didn't read all the books. And for sure the most information about Uryupinks is in Russian language. Can you read in Russian?

Here is the webpage which is literally called "Uryupinsk online" and cites the book about the khan you're looking for.

In fact, there was even a Russian archaic word "Uryupa" which means a very honorable word... "a slob."

And there is even a hypo about the origin of the name from this word. It's not for nothing this name "Uryupinks" sounds so funny for Russians. Wink
Σαυρομάτης
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 12:29

What does this have to do with the similarities between Persians and Scythians? There are many cultures that have similar mythologies but that doesn't mean that they are of the same derivation. Take for example the fact that flood stories happen to be a common element in the mythologies of most cultures. Does this mean that they all have a common ancestry that had flooding? I would say, no. These stories are more indicative of common settlement patterns - most prehistoric and ancient societies settled on the banks of rivers, which at time tend to over flow causing great floods. Again I think you are playing fast and loose with your linguistic examples. I would have to agree with Sarmat12 this topic is ridiculous.

Would you please tell me some differences between Persians and Scythians? Did you know the second largest province of Iran is "Land of Scythians" (Sakastan) or Iran's national hero (Rostam) is a Scythian?

Please don't attribute to me the words I didn't say. I was talking particularly about the town of Uryupinsk, which is hundred miles away from North Caucasus.

This is in Volgograd Oblast in the North Caucasus, of course for some political and economic reasons Russians try to deny this fact:

http://www.nupi.no/cgi-win/Russland/krono.exe?4780 : "President Putin signed a decree on 23 June renaming the North Caucasus federal district the Southern district, ITAR-TASS reported. Putin's presidential envoy to that district, General Viktor Kazantsev, told reporters on 20 June that he had requested that Putin rename the North Caucasus okrug because it includes Astrakhan and Volgograd Oblast as well as Kalmykia, which are not part of the North Caucasus. Volgograd Governor Nikolay Maksyuta had complained about his region being placed in the North Caucasus district, saying that Volgograd was previously part of the Volga interregional economic association and the Volga is the optimal trade route for his region. "

North Caucasus kept Iranic influence for much longer period than the region of Uryupinks andl Iranic Ossetian-Alans, Tats and Talyshs are living there.

It is great that you know it.

Obviously you didn't read all the books. And for sure the most information about Uryupinks is in Russian language. Can you read in Russian?

http://www.urup.ru/inform/history/

Thanks for the link, I translated this page to English by "Babel Fish Translation" and read it.

Here is the webpage which is literally called "Uryupinsk online" and cites the book about the khan you're looking for.

In fact, there was even a Russian archaic word "Uryupa" which means a very honorable word... "a slob."

And there is even a hypo about the origin of the name from this word. It's not for nothing this name "Uryupinks" sounds so funny for Russians.

Isn't it better that we ignore these childish stories and talk about the real history?

The historical fact is that this region for several hundreds years was known as "Urupa" by Scythians and Sarmatians who lived there and is still known with this similar name, but that childish story is that "Urup" is from name of a Tartar khan, who got bogged down in a swamp near this location (Urupinsk), during a fight with Yermak (Cossack leader) and got captured. However historical sources say Yermek fought against Tatars in Siberia but Dolgachev, author of this comic book, has also discovered that "Uvyaz" (bog, slob) and "Urup" are very similar words, anyway both of them start with "U", so it is also possible that after this very important event (bogging down of that Tatar prince), Cossacks began to call this city "Bog"!!!

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 15-Jan-2008 at 12:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>