Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Northeast European Tribe, Scythian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northeast European Tribe, Scythian
    Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 13:30

We sacrifice unto the awful kingly Glory, made by Mazda ....
That clave unto Takhma Urupa, the well-armed, while he ruled over the seven Karshvares of the earth.
, AVESTA: YASHTS (Hymns of praise) [ http://www.avesta.org/ka/yt19sbe.htm ]

As Herodotus says Scythians themselves believe their three main tribes descended from three kings that one of them was Arpoxais (Herodotus. History, Book IV, verse 5&6.) the Avestan name of this king is Urupaxaya which means 'King of Urupeans".

"Uru", Old Norse "Urn", means "Eagle/Erne" and "Pa" means "foot", so "Urupa" is the name of a legendary creature which is said to be a "Quadruped Eagle", this name has entered into Greek myths in two ways: "Grupa" (Griffin) and "Harpia" (Harpy), as Herodotus again says this legendary creature lived in Scythia to guard its gold.  (Herodotus. History, Book IV, verse 13)

Read more about Griffins: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin

Arms of West Pomeranian
 Voivodeship, Poland

Arms of Ueckermnde,
 Germany 

Arms of West Pomeranian
 Voivodeship, Poland 

Arms of Troms,
Norway 

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 28-Dec-2007 at 14:00
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 14:53
This should belong to historical amusement sub-forum.
I don't know whether I wanna cry or laugh. Cry LOL
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 17:23
Ehm...are you serious or just joking????
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 17:48
I think may you have misread.  I think Cyrus might be implying that the name of Europe came from a Scythian tribe by the same name, unlikely as it may be.  Not that Europeans are descended from this tribe.

At least that's how I understand this post.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 17:52
The original name ,pronounced "Europi" is coming from a well-known Ancient Hellenic/Greek myth. She was the daughter of Aginoras and Tilefasa , whom Zeus fell in love with.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 18:00
I don't contest that and I don't care much about the matter, just expressing my interpretation of the post.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 18:04
In ancient Greek mythology, Europa was a Phoenician princess who was abducted by Zeus in bull form and taken to the island of Crete, where she gave birth to Minos, Rhadamanthus and Sarpedon. For Homer, Europe (Greek: Εὐρώπη Eurṓpē; see also List of traditional Greek place names) was this mythological queen of Crete, not a geographical designation. Later Europa stood for mainland Greece, and by 500 BC its meaning had been extended to lands to the north.

In etymology one theory suggests the name Europe is derived from the Greek words meaning broad (eurys) and face (opsis)broad having been an epithet of Earth itself in the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European religion; see Prithvi (Plataia). A minority, however, suggest this Greek popular etymology is really based on a Semitic word such as the Akkadian erebu meaning "to go down, set",[3] cognate to Phoenician 'ereb "evening; west" and Arabic Maghreb, Hebrew ma'ariv. (see also Erebus).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe#Etymology

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 19:21
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

We sacrifice unto the awful kingly Glory, made by Mazda ....
That clave unto Takhma Urupa, the well-armed, while he ruled over the seven Karshvares of the earth.
, AVESTA: YASHTS (Hymns of praise) [ http://www.avesta.org/ka/yt19sbe.htm ]

again, whats your source that Scythians had the same religion as ancient Persians?

BTW, you've forgotten the Griffon of Baden:

it was even on the helmets of ww1 soldiers:

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 20:55

This is a serious discussion, of course by "Europeans" I meant just a tribe in the northeast of Europe not the whole modern European nations.

The original name ,pronounced "Europi" is coming from a well-known Ancient Hellenic/Greek myth. She was the daughter of Aginoras and Tilefasa , whom Zeus fell in love with.

In ancient Greek mythology, Europa was a Phoenician princess who was abducted by Zeus in bull form and taken to the island of Crete, where she gave birth to Minos, Rhadamanthus and Sarpedon. For Homer, Europe (Greek: Εὐρώπη Eurṓpē; see also List of traditional Greek place names) was this mythological queen of Crete, not a geographical designation. Later Europa stood for mainland Greece, and by 500 BC its meaning had been extended to lands to the north.

As you say "Europa" was not a Greek, so it couldn't be a Greek name, that white winged bull can be considered as the Greek and Persian version of Scythian Urupa.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 21:23

"Uru", Old Norse "Urn", means "Eagle/Erne" and "Pa" means "foot", so "Urupa" is the name of a legendary creature which is said to be a "Quadruped Eagle", this name has entered into Greek myths in two ways: "Grupa" (Griffin) and "Harpia" (Harpy), as Herodotus again says this legendary creature lived in Scythia to guard its gold. (Herodotus. History, Book IV, verse 13)

Old Norse for eagle is one of two words "rn" (the umlaut/diaeresis actually here represents a hooked o that doesn't exist on an English keyboard or in the English language) or "ari." Foot in Old Norse is "ftr" not "pa." Here is an online English to Old Norse dictionary. I have looked up these words in my hard copy Old Norse dictionaries and have not been able to find these words.
Here is another Old Norse online dictionary.

Clearly I think this claim is preposterous.

Edited by King John - 28-Dec-2007 at 21:26
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 21:41

again, whats your source that Scythians had the same religion as ancient Persians?

I believe they were Persians who adopted a Scythian religion, it is even said Zoroastrianism was found in the north of Russia or Scandinavia.

http://www.avesta.org/vendidad/vd2sbe.htm : Zarathushtra, as a heavenly priest, was, by right, the ratu or Spiritual Lord in Airyana Vaejah, where he founded the Religion by a sacrifice.

http://www.avesta.org/vendidad/vd1sbe.htm : The first of the good lands and countries which I, Ahura Mazda, created, was the Airyana Vaeja, by the Vanguhi Daitya. There are ten winter months there, two summer months; and those are cold for the waters, cold for the earth, cold for the trees.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 21:51
Where does Scandinavia come into the picture? From what I gather Scythians lived in an area that included the Ukraine, Russia, and Central Asia.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 22:09
What evidence is there to confirm the existence of a tribe that went by this name?  The name of this king is Urupakhshaya and the name means king of griffins as you say.  I believe the name of Daravayush's father was Wishtaspa  which means white horse?  Could it not be that this king's name was just his name and it wasn't the name of a tribe?  
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 09:55

Old Norse for eagle is one of two words "rn" (the umlaut/diaeresis actually here represents a hooked o that doesn't exist on an English keyboard or in the English language) or "ari." Foot in Old Norse is "ftr" not "pa." Here is an online English to Old Norse dictionary. I have looked up these words in my hard copy Old Norse dictionaries and have not been able to find these words.

The important point is that "Uru" exatcly means "Eagle/Erne" in the Avestan language, of course there are also similar words in the Slavic languages, for example in Slovak it is "orol" (Compare to "Ural" mountains in the west of Russia)

In the Persian language there is a "K" between "U" and "R", so we have Ukra (Arabic Uqab & Aqrab come from this word) similar to Latin Aquila, French Aigle and English Eagle. (Comapre to Ukraine & Ugrians/Hungrians)

Where does Scandinavia come into the picture? From what I gather Scythians lived in an area that included the Ukraine, Russia, and Central Asia.

Because there is a huge similarity between Iranian and Nordic mythologies.

What evidence is there to confirm the existence of a tribe that went by this name?

They still exist, the Urus (Russians)

The Russian national anthem:

Its mighty wings spread above us
The Russian eagle is hovering high
The Fatherlands tricolor symbol
Is leading Russias peoples to victory

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 29-Dec-2007 at 09:57
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 12:21
Interesting etymological theory.. so what actual evidence is there to suggest that the Rus are the Urupax?

Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 12:50
Oh...
Do you want an other "exact" meanings of Ur? It hungarian it means "Lord". Uruk means "Their Lord" and Kis means "Little".

And Ural means "he/she/it is ruling". :-)

Edited by Tar Szernd - 29-Dec-2007 at 13:06
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 16:02

It is interesting that similar to Avestan Urupa and Greek Grupa, we have also Akkadian Kuruba (Cherub).

Relief from Ashurnasirpal II's palace at Nimrud of a Assyrian Kuribu

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 16:26

Interesting etymological theory.. so what actual evidence is there to suggest that the Rus are the Urupax?

I will find something, unfortunately there are a few sources for the origin of "Rus".

Do you want an other "exact" meanings of Ur? It hungarian it means "Lord". Uruk means "Their Lord" and Kis means "Little".

It can be related to the Avestan word "Ahura" (the Lord, God)

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 18:08

I believe they were Persians who adopted a Scythian religion, it is even said Zoroastrianism was found in the north of Russia or Scandinavia.

http://www.avesta.org/vendidad/vd2sbe.htm : Zarathushtra, as a heavenly priest, was, by right, the ratu or Spiritual Lord in Airyana Vaejah, where he founded the Religion by a sacrifice.

http://www.avesta.org/vendidad/vd1sbe.htm : The first of the good lands and countries which I, Ahura Mazda, created, was the Airyana Vaeja, by the Vanguhi Daitya. There are ten winter months there, two summer months; and those are cold for the waters, cold for the earth, cold for the trees.

Herodot gave some names of Scythian deities:

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~kiyoweap/myth/arms-weap/akinakes.htm

as far as i know Zoroastrian religion was monotheistic (Ahura Mazda).

The important point is that "Uru" exatcly means "Eagle/Erne" in the Avestan language, of course there are also similar words in the Slavic languages, for example in Slovak it is "orol" (Compare to "Ural" mountains in the west of Russia)

In the Persian language there is a "K" between "U" and "R", so we have Ukra (Arabic Uqab & Aqrab come from this word) similar to Latin Aquila, French Aigle and English Eagle. (Comapre to Ukraine & Ugrians/Hungrians)

in russian, the word for eagle (orel) is pronounced as aryol, which doesn't soudn at all like "uru".

also, the Ural is a recent name, the Russians named the river & mountain range Ural only in the 18th century. before that, it was known as Yaik, which, if i'm not mistaken, was a Turkic word.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 18:26
The Persian tribes coexisted and were at one point indistinguishable from other Iranic steppe nomads, as should be obvious. Zaroaster made the religion monotheistic after migration to the minor Iran plateau and the Avesta speaks largely of pre Zaroastrian times also.  The Asuras and Devas were regarded as gods until Zaroastrianism relegated them to demon and angel status.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>