Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

North America?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North America?
    Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 16:33
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Also American history is butchered. When I went to the White House they said an electical fire burnt it down, but there was no electric power back then and it was Canada that brunt it down, also in 1812 America did not in the war, it became a stalemate. When I went to Holland, they rewrote the history that the bloody Yanks liberated the country, in fact it was Canada, so King John, your country's histroy isa rewrote to make you look stronger, thus the ppl think they are stronger, but every person is equal. You peoples patriotic ideal just make the world shunAmerica.

This is off topic, Canadian Guy, but what makes people shun America is not out love for out country (patriotism) but rather our arrogance and ignorance about foreign cultures. If somebody at the White House told you all that bull then you should have said actually...(correction goes here). I can't speak for the entirety of America but when it came to the 1812 War I was taught that the British won and the only real battle that we won was fought two weeks after the war had ended. Re: the white house fire I learned in school that it was the British who burned it down in 1814. Consequently there was a second fire during the Presidency of Herbert Hoover this fire was only in the West Wing though.

"When I went to Holland, they rewrote the history that the bloody Yanks liberated the country, in fact it was Canada." When you say "they" here who are you talking about? According to the sentence structure it appears you mean the Dutch changed who liberated their country. If the Dutch did this then why do you blame America? According to Canadian Encyclopedia the Americans were the one who began the liberation of Holland on 13 September 1944, there were also British troops involved in this. Canada, however, finished the job a year later. So you are not entirely wrong, but you are also not entirely correct.

But this reply and your original post are digressions away from the topic at hand.

Edited by King John - 28-Dec-2007 at 17:12
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 17:05
Your correct in those many cases there. lol it was a tour guide that told us that the whitehouse was burnt but an electical fire, hehe. Oh the the tour in Holland said that the Yanks liberate the country, so they can appease the American tourist. I asked them bout it and they told that.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 17:11
Some tour guides are idiots, an electrical fire you have got to be kidding me, Did you say anything to him/her about how wrong he/she was? Personally I find it patronizing when people try to appease an tourist. If I go to a foreign land and go to one of their historical cites I don't want the nice version I want the real version. If many people liberated Holland then they should say as much.
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 08:25
Ya some people are idiots.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 21:33
Americans do rewrite history to suit their own purposes. I went to middle school in Ohio and was told the Americans won the war of 1812. But it's not as though they're the only ones doing this. Canada does it too- we claim to have won the war of 1812, but if you had actually asked anyone in 1812, even a Canadian would have told you the British won. Canada was only a colony in the British Empire.

Anyways, back on topic. I wish I could say there were any examples of great ancient architecture in my corner of the continent, but there are not. There are and have been many impressive structures built by Native people in British Columbia, but they were invariably made of wood. There are plenty of ancient stone artifacts, but not stone buildings. Cedar was just too good and plentiful a building material to pass up in favour of stone, when stoneworking techniques were so incredibly labour-intensive. Besides, who would want to build something like this out of stone?

source

Edited by jdalton - 30-Dec-2007 at 21:44
Lords of Death and Life (a Mesoamerican webcomic)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 22:59
That's a wonderful culture and arts!

Do you got more pictures to share? I love the handcraft of the West North North American peoples, the creators of totem poles and some of the best carpenters ever, perhaps the best in the Americas.

It is also a culture that has influenced modern arts and popular culture. Here it goes, the shield of the Seattle Seahaks, inspired in that art:

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2007 at 02:06
And these are from BC

But the art shows not only in ceremonial totem poles but in canoes

But also houses:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12