Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

North America?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
anum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote anum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North America?
    Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 17:18
I have noticed that in North America, i am talking about the USA and Canada. They really dont have or have very little ancient archaeological sites. I mean just south of the USA in Mexico you find so many amazing ancient sites and south american continent is also full with ancient sites. I think over all North America has the lowest number of ancient sites in the world. Despite it being such a large land with thousands of years of history. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 17:40
Kahokia and the Anazasi ruins aren't small archaeological sites at all.
Besides, Most South America lacks old cities, with the exception of the Andes Region (Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Northern Chile-Argentina). You find no major city in the Amazon or Patagonia, for example. In Central America, south of Guatemala, you don't find cities either, not in the Caribbean or Northern South America.

Even more, some of the earliest cultures of the Americas, from the time of the land bridge crossing, are recorded in North America. Besides, the only Norse archaeological site is located in New Foundland, Canada.

Edited by pinguin - 26-Dec-2007 at 17:44
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 18:38
Well my ppl did not have a need for stone structures. But this is where you get messed up my friend. there are site all pver NA. They don't need to be cities or castles. They are all over, just it is not like the rest of the world. Yes the  Nordmans came to newfoundland, but there are allot of sacred site in this land for my ppl.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 18:46

Indeed. For instance, the Medice Wheel of Saskatchewan that is two thousands of years old.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 21:11
There is also Waterloo village in New Jersey which was recreated by an archeologist in 1988. This is a fairly large scale settlement that was in an area that was inhabited for thousands of year. Places like this exist all over North America.

Here is an article about the Indian Villiage at Waterloo Villiage.

PS. I know about this one because it is not to far from where I grew up in NJ

Edited by King John - 26-Dec-2007 at 21:12
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 21:48

Very interesting. We shouldn't forget though, that the U.S. also have the impresive civilization of Cahokia. Pictures:

But that also included metalurgy,

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 23:35
Originally posted by King John

There is also Waterloo village in New Jersey which was recreated by an archeologist in 1988. This is a fairly large scale settlement that was in an area that was inhabited for thousands of year. Places like this exist all over North America.

Here is an article about the Indian Villiage at Waterloo Villiage.

PS. I know about this one because it is not to far from where I grew up in NJ

The Lenni inhabited the entire state.  There are sites literally out my backdoor that date to 9,000 bce.  I'm in West Central Jersey, South Jersey has just as many sites as anywhere else.  What North Jersey has that's unique for the state are several Megalithic sites.  In the North Highlands there is a stone circle. 

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 23:44
Again I mentioned only the Waterloo Village cite because I lived near it and went there as a child many times. I didn't know about the Megalithic sites in North Jersey.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 00:50
I search for Lenni-Lanape and Delaware Forest and found very interesting things. Among them this megaliths

This poster

Pointing arrows of 12000 years ago

Pottery

lenape2.jpg%20%28106181%20bytes%29

solstice aligned stones

Very amazing!

I wonder why Americans don't tell more about its archaeology.
Is there a tabbu in the states to talk about pre-contact people?

anum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote anum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 00:57
well i guess i meant famous sites.
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 01:02
lol...well these are famous to my ppl. maybe not to you...but to my ppl they are bud. Wink Fame does not always mean the whole world knows it...it can also be local fame.  
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 01:05
Originally posted by pinguin

I wonder why Americans don't tell more about its archaeology.
Is there a tabbu in the states to talk about pre-contact people?

In fact the States abuse the Amerindians more than Canada, it almost seem tabooed there. But it is not for me to say for all Americans. I know many Americans that are some the the best people to hang out and have a pint or 2 with.  

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 27-Dec-2007 at 01:06
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 01:17
Originally posted by anum

well i guess i meant famous sites.

Cahokia and the megalith sites of North America are not very well know. But what about the Anazasi ruins in the South West? They were the only appartment buildings made in the Americas! That site has a huge importance to world's archaeology. That's the place I suggest you should focus on, if you are looking for expectacular architecture. These are the oldest buildings of the United States.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 05:30
They really dont have or have very little ancient archaeological sites. I mean just south of the USA in Mexico you find so many amazing ancient sites and south american continent is also full with ancient sites. I think over all North America has the lowest number of ancient sites in the world. Despite it being such a large land with thousands of years of history.

The problem with the North American continent is that there was never a unifying major civilization on par with the Maya, Inca or Aztecs. So that means that there were no major monuments because rulers couldn't spare enough labor to construct them.

Also the US is brimming with major Native monuments they just aren't as well publicized as those in Latin America, since sadly there is less of an interest (due I would imagine to a shortage of North American mestizos). For instance in Ohio there are the Great Serpent Mounds of the Adena culture. In New Mexico you have the great Pueblos made by the Anasazi. The Etowah Indian Mounds in Georgia. And Jeffer's Petroglyphs in Minnesota which bear a striking resemblence to the Nazca lines.

The problem is is that in North America many of the best sites for natives were also some of the best sites for the European colonists to settle. So this meant that any cities and monuments built by natives would've been usurped and destroyed by the Europeans.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 01:41
There is a lot of North American mestizos. The problem is -in my oppinion- they are so much brainwashed to believe Europe is pure, sublime and superb, they just want to forget about anything that smell or spell Indian.

Superior people (they believe they are) don't need to recognize anything of those individuals that lived before them in the same land. They were the losers but EuroAmericans are the winners. That's the way they think.

Americans are just European wannabes, with the exception of Black people that are -by imitation- African wannabes. None of them are really Americans. People of the New World. They believe they are just living in a cloned Europe.

I am saying nothing less than the American people (in general, there are exceptions) is a people without roots. And will never have roots while they don't recognize and appreciate the land were they stand.

Poor cartoons like the statue of Liberty or the national symbols can't replace the deep feelings a real patriot has for the land were it was born. All of it. And all its past.

Edited by pinguin - 28-Dec-2007 at 01:44
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 03:51
Pinguin, your opinion with all due respect is greatly misguided. You really don't know what you are talking about with regards to American perceptions of Indians. Americans know that there were people here before Europeans came. Your assertion that the American people are a people with out roots is greatly unfounded. I am an American and I have roots, my family might be relatively new to America but nonetheless I still have roots here. I have deep patriotic feelings about the land in which I was born. All Americans know about the Indians that were here whether their knowledge comes from a study of campaigns against Indians (the trail of tears, Europeans giving Indians smallpox infested blankets, forced migration, or massacres like that at Wounded Knee). This is a part of our curriculum of study in High School. The roots of Americans are simply the fact that we are a nation of immigrants, who love the new found opportunities that we or our ancestors got by coming here. We acknowledge that this land was inhabited and that the Europeans committed nefarious acts to gain control of said land. Part of the celebration of our Thanksgiving is about the Indians not just the Pilgrims.

"There is a lot of North American mestizos. The problem is in my opinion they are so much brainwashed to believe Europe is pure, sublime and superb, they just want to forget about anything that smell or spell Indian." Although I do like the poetry of this sentence (the alliteration is wonderful), it is totally wrong. I don't know where you get your information about North American Indian groups or mixed groups, but they do venerate their ancestors both Indian and other. This is a part of who they are and most embrace it. I went to college in upstate New York and there were a number of these "mestizos." They did not play down their ancestry, what they did was quite to the contrary; they wore their ancestry upon their sleeves with great pride.

Americans believe they are just living in a cloned Europe? What are you basing your opinion on?   

In closing your misguided opinion is founded upon ignorance. You, again, have fallen prey to your delusion of expertise. You are talking about things that you don't really know about.
anum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote anum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 05:30
well i think he meant that americans who are european desent dont really care or know anything about the indians that lived here. In a way its really true. I doubt most americans would know many of these places listed above
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 05:56
Originally posted by anum

well i think he meant that americans who are european desent dont really care or know anything about the indians that lived here. In a way its really true. I doubt most americans would know many of these places listed above

I think you and he are underestimating the American populace. As I stated in posts above Indians are taught as part of the history curriculum in public high schools. For instance I mentioned the Indian Village at Waterloo Village this village is widely publicized in NJ with annual class trips there in grade school, and some times High School. Of course there are idiots every where that don't care about things from the past, but to say an entire population doesn't care is preposterous. I'm not even going to get into the part that just specifies that only white European Americans don't care about this, that's a notion that smacks of racial overtones and has no place in this discussion. It is also a common thread in Pinguin's post that Europeans only care about Europe and that Anglo's are bad people.

P.S. At my university there are a number of white people doing research in the area of Native American History. There is also at least one full faculty member that works primarily in this area (that's more faculty members with primary areas of research then there are in English History, unfortunately well for me at least).

Edited by King John - 28-Dec-2007 at 06:01
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 12:44
Well, King John, I recognize I was a little bit "spicy" in my oppinion above, and perhaps I said too much.

There are no doubt SOME Americans care very much about the past of the Americas. Most of the schollars that decode Maya writing and also many of those that have studied in deep detail the cultures of the Western Hemisphere are Americans.

My feelings are not against Europeans by itself. It is known that many of them, German particularly, has contributing quite a lot in the recording, preservation and diffusion of the Amerindian cultures and languages. No doubt about it.

I was pointing the finger to most Mestizos, and not only from the U.S., that many times just "pretend" they have nothing to do with Indians. The case of the U.S. is quite similar to Argentina and for similar reasons. Contries that preffer a general European identity rather than to pick what they have at hand.

Even more, recent genetic studies show the myth of the Indian extinction is just that: a myth. Assimilation, mixing and overflooding of immigrants are the paradigms we should follow better.

The issue is complex, and there is no one to blame. Just let's hope matters change in the future and the past of the Americas is seen with a new perspective.

General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 14:07
Also American history is butchered. When I went to the White House they said an electical fire burnt it down, but there was no electric power back then and it was Canada that brunt it down, also in 1812 America did not in the war, it became a stalemate. When I went to Holland, they rewrote the history that the bloody Yanks liberated the country, in fact it was Canada, so King John, your country's histroy isa rewrote to make you look stronger, thus the ppl think they are stronger, but every person is equal.  You peoples patriotic ideal just make the world shun America. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>