Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Political dynasties

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Political dynasties
    Posted: 23-Dec-2007 at 15:04
Hello to you all

Several weeks ago, some witty political analyst made the most unusual note about the next general elections in the US saying that if Hilary wins, which is extremely likely, the US would have been officially more than 20 years, about a tenth of its whole history, hunder the rule of just two families, the Bushes and the Clintons. What is even more is that Jeb Bush, the current brother of the president, is one of the stars of the Republican party, though he is Catholic, and though he ruled out running if the republicans continue to lose he is considered by any as the saviour of the Party and that by 2011, yet another Clinton-Bush race is quite likely.

My point here is that the US is full of political dynasties that have been influential either on the State or national levels most notibaly the Rockefellers, in my view the most powerful of them all despite having the presidency as the last office they did not conquer, The Kennedys, the Bushes, the Tafts, the Roosevelts etc. However, There are few political dynaties in Europe that reach the level that is in America. The two most notable families that I can think of are the Churchills and the Russels. So, does you country have a political dynasty and tell us some of its history.

Al-Jassas 
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 17:43
The Chiang family that once ruled China and Taiwan.

The Kim family that is ruling N.Korea.

The Al-Assad family that is ruling Syria.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 07:35

Hello Killabee

I was talking about political dynasties in democratic countries not dictatorships. I read some where that over half the US presidents are related to each other either by blood or by marriage. This fact is quite interesting since in almost all european countries, except Greece and the UK, don't have a tradition of political dynasties as far as I know.

Al-Jassas 
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 08:16
I'd be interested to know of a UK political dynasty.

Harold MacMillan was of course closely related to the Kennedy's, played together as kids,  so when he was PM and JFK president, cousins were ruling the two countries. Beyond that I don't know any.

Most Labour PM's are middle class. The last two Conservatives have come from trade and working class. Thatcher a greengrocer's daughter and Major the son of a Circus performer left school at 16, didn't go on to any higher qualifications and was turned down the job as bus conductor. I really don't think either are presidential material.

Edited by Paul - 27-Dec-2007 at 08:39
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 09:57
The Russells have been influentian for 500 years and I will not be surprised to find that the American Russells are related just like Winston Churchil the American Novelist and Winston Churchill the British PM were related. The Peels are also a long established family in the Conservative party.

As for your note about the Labour, well its true except that the first PM from labour was a very poor scottish illigetimate child, JR Macdonald. After that, the remnants of the Liberal party, Tony Penn, Megan Lloyd George etc, took over the party.

By the way, a side note, Grover Cleveland admitted having fathered an illegitimate child back in the 1870s I think and yet he managed to become president, I can't think of this happening today.

Al-Jassas
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 18:31
My country is for ,almost 30 years, under the political domination of 2 familiesthat of Karamanlis (Nea Dimokratia) and Papandreou (PASOK). Those 2 families collided in 7 national elections, from 1974 onward. Our current Prime Minister, is Kostas Karamanlis.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 22:50
Wow, interesting... never notice that before...
Cjones View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Cjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 00:44
Meh, I'm not sure if you consider them dynasties.  True Dynasties would include families such as the Habsburgs, Hohenzollerns, Romanovs, Mings, etc
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 16:43
Thatcherism has to be a dynasty, shapped and restored England at a time of crisis IMF loan ect 1979-90 or 95 if u include major which i will because he largly followed her polices 16 years

as Andrew Marr says "like it or not we are all thatchers children"

moreover as much as i loathe to admit it the Blair Brown era also has to be considered a politcal dynasty again vast changes to the country and ruled for a long period of time 1995-2010 (prbably at this rate Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply