Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great Britain or United Kingdom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Britain or United Kingdom
    Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 12:27
The name of the United States was designed to deliberately show the country is not a kingdom and the people of those states had rejected monarchy.
elenos
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 12:40
Originally posted by gcle2003

It never occurred to me before, but isn't it significant that the titles are the 'United Kingdom' (singular) but the 'United States' (plural)?

It is interesting, the states unified into a state, but continue to refer to the pre-unfication status. The kingdoms unified into a kingdom and refer to the post unification status.

The Emirates refer to pre-unification status too.

the one that confuses me is why it's not called the UQ.

Edited by Paul - 30-Dec-2007 at 12:43
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 14:53
United States is plural because there are many states that have united,thats why.
United Kingdom is singular because there are 4 Nations united under one Kingdom.
Great Britain refers only to the countries that lay in the island of Britain,therefore we can not call Northern Ireland as part of Great Britain because is just not in the Island of Britain geographicaly,therefore it can only be part of the United Kingdom,which is made up by the island of Great Britain and the north of the island of Ireland.

United Kingdom ( England,Scotland,Wells,Northern Ireland) of Great Britain (the Island of great britain) and Northern Ireland,(like this we do not include  any other indipendent country still conected to the crown since they are not part of the United Kingdom such as Australia,Canada etc).

Me pune,me perpjekje.
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2008 at 01:00
Britain or brits for our people does for me, adding great is just stating the obvious lol
long live the king of bhutan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12