Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Species Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Species Thread
    Posted: 20-Jan-2009 at 22:13
Recently there was a program on television about a hunter, in 2006, shooting an odd-looking polar bear in Northwest Territories, Canada. It was a large white bear but it had dark-colored patches around its eyes and nose, very long claws, a humped back, and a dished (concave) face. Recently its DNA was analyzed, and it was found to be a hybrid between a male grizzly bear and a female polar bear. This is the first documented time that this sort of hybrid bear has been found in nature. Polar bears and grizzlies have different habitats and lifestyles and rarely encounter each other in nature, though it's possible for a wide-ranging grizzly to occasionally  venture out into polar bear habitat. They've never previously been known to breed with one another, though. Occasionally over the past hundred years odd -colored polar berss (yellowish or creme-colored) have been seen or shot, so its possible that hybrids occured previously without being recognized as such.

Zoos have occasionally produced polar-grizzly hybrids in the past, usually inadvertently, so it was known to be genetically possible, though this is the first time its been recorded to have occured naturally. (This animal wasn't a new species, just a hybrid between two species that don't usually come into contact with each other or interbreed).

Some further photos and information can be seen by googling "polar bear grizzly bear hybrid" and clicking on the Wikipedia and National Geographic websites.
Windemere
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2009 at 18:56
Hey Windemere, could the hybrid successfully breed, or was it sterile like an ass?

Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 19:46
Dolphin,

Yes, the hybrid polar-grizzly bears born in zoos were fertile, and they were able to breed back with either species.  In the old days, zoos used to intentionally produce hybrid animals, such as lion-tiger hybrids. Nowadays, however, they don't encourage it, they're more interested in preserving the pure species. This event in Canada was the first time such a hybrid bear has ever been conclusively found out in nature, though.
Windemere
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 03:11
Some more exciting new species (though long-extinct) have been discovered recently, on an island off Britain. I've never thought of Britain as a prehistoric/fossil hotspot - usually its Central USA, Inner Mongolia or Northern Australia that spring to mind. But has been proven over the past decade, there are a plethora of prehistoric remains to be discovered in and around the British Isles.

Dinosaur hunters 'unearth 48 new prehistoric species'

London (PTI): Palaeontologists claim to have unearthed 48 new prehistoric species including dinosaurs, from cliffs of the Isle of Wight dubbed as Britain's Jurassic Park.

A team at the Portsmouth University, led by Dr Steve Sweetman, actually made the discovery during their painstaking search of what has been nicknamed the "Dinosaur Island" over a period of four years.

Their haul includes eight dinosaurs, six mammals and 15 different types of lizard dating back to 130 million years, all taken from cliffs of Isle of Wight, 'The Daily Telegraph' newspaper reported.

Highlights include the remains of a creature similar to a giant velociraptor -- similar in size to those portrayed in the 'Jurassic Park' film -- and pterosaurs and long-necked Sauropods like the massive Brachiosaurus, seen in the movie.

"It has taken me just four years of hard graft to make my discoveries. In the very first sample I found a tiny jaw of an extinct newt-sized, salamander-like amphibian and then new species just kept coming.

"Although we knew a lot about the larger species that existed on the island during the early Cretaceous, no-one had ever filled in the gaps.

"With these discoveries I can paint a really detailed picture of the creatures that scurried at the feet and in the shadows of the dinosaurs," the leading British daily quoted Dr Sweetman as saying.

In fact the Jurassic Island is thought to be one of the top five in the world for concentrations of dinosaurs remains.

Last year, a review of the species discovered on these islands identified 108 species since first fossil was found in 1824.

Source: http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/008200902101221.htm
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 07:36
I thought I'd post my 3000th post here in the Natural History Forum Smile

Scientists have recently discovered a carnivorous sea squirt 4km below the surface, in the Tasman fracture, south of Tasmania (Australia). It works in a similar fashion to a venus fly trap - if an unsuspecting shrimp crawls in, it gobbles it up. Here is an image:

The article is rather long, so here is a link to it. Enjoy!

http://www.popsci.com.au/environment/article/2009-02/diving-ancient-history-scientists-discover-new-species

Regards,

- Knights -
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 16:26
If you want to keep track of the species of the world this project is something to follow:

ENCYCLOPEDIA OF LIFE

A new project to create an online reference source and database for every one of the 1.8 million species that are named and known on this planet.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 16:41
Yes, thanks for sharing, Carcharodon. It is certainly a great site Thumbs Up
Bean Gas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2010 at 16:09
Really nice thread, I wonder why it hasn't been updated for over a year.

Herez a list of top 10 new species - http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/science/05/22/biodiversity.new.species/?hpt=C2

and of course the news of Neanderthal admixture in us is old - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8674068.stm ... now therez talk of more admixture - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Not-just-Neanderthals-theres-X-men-in-us-too/articleshow/5928501.cms
itmtrading View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2010 at 01:07
Originally posted by Leonidas

these were discovered in the 1994 so still quite new, also quite large

The Giant Muntjac (muntiacus vuquangensis) was discovered in 1994 in evergreen forests of the Truong Son mountains (formerly the Annamite Mountains) that border Lao People's Democratic Republic and Vietnam.

Although the species was thought to be impacted by hunting and los of habitat, a threatened listing could not be given, because there was little information on population size and the extent of occurrence.
source

photo' are from this site

another large mammal discovered (by the west) in 1992 is the Saola Pseudoryx nghetinhensis

classification

source

Very nice
thanks a lot
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2011 at 19:43
Super Strong 'Mighty Mouse' Created by Swiss Scientists

Published November 11, 2011| FoxNews.com

LAUSANNE, Switzerland – Swiss scientists created super-strong mice, with muscles twice as strong as those of normal mice, by tweaking a gene.

The "Mighty Mouse" is stronger, faster and can run twice the distance of ordinary mice before showing signs of fatigue, according to a team of scientists from the Laboratory of Integrative Systems Physiology, in Lausanne.

The team, working in collaboration with scientists from the University of Lausanne and California's Salk Institute, created the super mice by reducing the function of a natural inhibitor -- called NCoR1 -- which they believe may be responsible for how strong and powerful muscles can be.

Without the inhibitor, the muscle tissue developed much more effectively, according to the study, published in the journal Cell. Similar results also were observed in worms.

If scientists can replicate the effect in humans, they may be able to use the technique to successfully treat age-related or genetically-caused muscle degeneration.

"This could be used to combat muscle weakness in the elderly, which leads to falls and contributes to hospitalizations," researcher Johan Auwerx said. "In addition, we think that this could be used as a basis for developing a treatment for genetic muscular dystrophy."

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/11/super-strong-mighty-mouse-created-by-swiss-scientists/

StrivingCorzzet View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 06:02
Another new species to look at and enjoy.. I think capybaras are awesome, so I'm probably among a minority that thinks a ten-foot-long rat sounds great.  
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 13:13
Can you eat them?
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 13:53
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Can you eat them?

Cuisine: South American
Prep Time: 20 min(s)
Cook Time: 1 hr(s)
Serves 4
The capybara is a clean rodent because it only eats herbs and grass. The meat is mostly eaten in the region plains of Venezuela and one of the most popular dishes is the capybara stew. It is also President Hugo Chavez´s favourite dish. The meat of the capybara is very similar to the kangaroo, so this recipe can be made as an Australian version.

Ingredients
1kg capybara meat (or kangaroo meat)
Annatto oil (or vegetable oil)
Coriander
1 capsicum, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 eschallot

View conversion table

Preparation
Wash the meat and cut it into pieces. Season with salt and pepper. 

In a large pot, boil the meat for at least 30 minutes. 

In another pot, heat the oil and add the coriander, capsicum, onion and eschallot. 

Add the meat and simmer, stirring every 5 minutes. 

Cook for 30 minutes over a low heat. 
If you enjoyed this Capybara stew recipe then browse more South American recipes, stew recipes, meat recipes, easy recipes, low-fat recipes and our most popular orange and almond cake recipe.
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/14263/Capybara_stew
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 23:50
Excellent Alani...now send me two and I will try the recipe.

S. T. Friedman

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 00:05
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Excellent Alani...now send me two and I will try the recipe.
I would say that in mileage terms, you are much closer to being able to get your hands on them than I, CV, and my guess is that even on my recent visit over to America, you would have still been so much closer. Smile
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 04:55

ahem...quite possible but alas where I would have given credit to Striving Corset.....

I must refrain. As it has been confirmed he is not interested in species of any type other then to support spamming and illegal ad space theft.
As such......
He has gone the way now of another famous species...the Dodo.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 04:56
Thread locked due to attempted spam and illegal ad space theft.

CV

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234