Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do you think of Rustam Farokhzad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you think of Rustam Farokhzad?
    Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 23:40
Persian-Arab Wars
(635 AD - 651 AD)
The very first conflicts occurred at a border town, North East of Persian Gulf named Hafir. Walid the Arab General led the Arab forces against Hormoz the Persian Sassanid General. Iranian forces were defeated at this battle at 635 AD.

At the same time Muslim Barbarians invaded Roman Empire (Eastern Roman Empire or Byzantine Empire). By 635 AD Damascus the capital of Sham (Syria, a Roman Colony then) was in shambles. Muslim were invading the colony from all directions & pillaging everything in site. By 636 AD, Barbarians defeated the powerful Byzantine Army at Yarmuk River, this practically delivered Sham (Syria) to the Muslim. Muslim occupied Damascus & Islam like a plague captured the whole colony of Sham. This was the first major defeat of Romans from Savage Arabs. Eventually Arabs took over the whole African & Asian colonies of Rome or better said Byzantine, & if they had a sophisticated navy they would invade Europe too! Imagine as the result, Greece & Italy would have also been a couple of backwarded Muslim Nation by now!

At this point a Persian General Shirzad created a blockage on the path of Arabs, but when Arabs conquered Sham, all hopes of this blockage working at South, was lost. After the death of Abu Bakr the first caliph, Omar became in charge as the second caliph. Have in mind that after Abu Bakr, the rest of the 4 caliphs of Rashedin @ the golden age of Islam, did not die by natural causes, they were all murdered by treachery & due to dissatisfaction of oppressed masses conquered by Islam. Omar, Ottoman & Ali, all were murdered by hands of rebellious groups due to treachery or simple unhappiness of people. Masses were simply not happy with the way Islam was running the Islamic Empire.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 23:40
Rostam-e Farokhzad
Later on the same year, 635 AD, Omar appointed Abu Obayd Ibn Al Mossana to be in charge of Persian Campaign. An intense battle between the Arabs and Persian armies occurred, Euphrates River was the battle scene. The Persian Commander in charge of whole Persian Army was no one else but the Great Persian Hero, symbol of solidarity Arteshbod (Grand General/Field Marshal) of Persian Forces, Rostam-e Farokhzad. This battle was won by Persian Forces, & Arabs were chased all the way back to Arabia, yet Rostam-e Farokhzad was called upon to get back to the main land & capital, there were all kinds of treason, mutiny & rebellion going on against the Sassanid Rule. Even Sassanid Royalty or Sassanid Governors & Generals were creating Axis with Arabs or separated single rebellion against the government of Persian Empire @ Ctesiphone (Sassanid Capital near todays Baghdad). After the death of Khosrow Parviz (Khosrow II) at 628 AD, until the governing of Yazdgird III at 632 AD, there were seven Sassanid Royalty ruled over Iran only in a 4 years time frame! 7 Emperors/Empresses in only 4 years! This should give you an idea of how bad was the internal situation, more like an anarchy! Two of these seven rulers were women, Poorandokht (dokht = daughter, Poorandokht = daughter of pooran) Sassanid (629 AD - 631 AD) & Azarmidokht Sassanid (631 AD - 632 AD). Poorandokht, Azarmidokht & Toorandokht were the three daughters of Khosrow Parviz Sassanid, & two out of three ended up ruling the Empire as the Empress. My point here is that women used to Rule Iran as Empresses, yet now look @ the value of women in Islamic Republic of Iran which is equal to zilch or Zero! Another Islamic Present, given to our glorious Persian Culture.

The burden of all this anarchy & instability due to internal problems was laid on Rostam-e Farokhzad as the wise Commander of Persian Forces & of course the young Yazdgird III. The reason for the disastrous situation was the almost 70 years of war with Rome which broke our economy & our back. Internal traitors & rebellions also helped to stir up the problem. The internal corruption & dictating rules of Mubed-e Mubedan & Mubeds (Zoroastrian Clerics) was another issue which helped speeding up Iran's travel towards anarchy. Rostam was faced to save an Ancient Empire from absolute collapse. Rostam-e Farokhzad was a great Nationalist & Compatriot of Iran, faithful to Yazdgird III the young Emperor, this was due to the fact that deep inside, Rostam knew that Yazdgird was a Nationalist & a lover of Iran. there was nothing else more important for Yazdgird but to save Iran from this internal & external anarchy. The destiny had handed the young Yazdgird, a broken Empire in it's worst days, Yazdgird was the most unfortunate of all Emperors of Persia, & now he had to pay for "The Sins of The Fathers"! On the bright side, Yazdgird had Rostam on his side. Yazdgird could always count on Rostam's advise & trouble shooting. Yazdgird & Rostam did not often had much of a chance to conference & debate with each other because both of them were often fighting or gathering troops on two different areas of Persian Empire & apart from each other. They both had love & respect for one another & they both knew how bad was the situation & how they were needed at different fronts. Yazdgird was always looking up to Rostam as a wise commander, big brother, & a patriot. Rostam knew that he had to chase Arabs all the way back & defeat them, & when he had to come back to Ctesiphone, he knew that he just lost a golden opportunity, the last opportunity to save the Empire!

This chance gave Arabs a fantastic opportunity to rest, regroup and a year later Arabs started their invasion once more. At 636 AD, Rostam-e Farokhzad Arteshbod of Persian Empire faced the most important battle of the campaign. Rostam-e Farokhzad & his selected Immortal Guards (Guard-e Javidan, a Persian Elite force) plus the Persian Infantry & Cavalry on one side & Barbarian Savages under Sa'ad Ibn Abi Al Vaghas one of the most blood sucking Arab Generals on the other side got ready for the battle. Persian Military was a traditional organized force, yet Arabs were fighting a hit & run commando warfare! Omar the second Caliph ordered Sa'ad to as much as possible not to take prisoners & slaughter all Persians, they did not have time to take prisoners, cause they had to move forward in many directions as fast as they could & commit a commando partisan warfare. It seemed like the nature was not even with Persians! A sand storm like no other came from the desert & hit Persian Military straight on the face, Persians blinded by the sand storm scattered & crippled as an army & ultimately, Arabs under Sa'ad Ibn Abi Al Vaghas defeated the Sassanid army in the battle of Qadesiyeh (near Hira), Arabs gained the whole west bank of Tigris River from today's Iraq, off of Persian Empire. This was not the only damage to Iran, yet the greatest damage of this war was the loss of Arteshbod Rostam-e Farokhzad. When Sa'ad invited Rostam to surrender his arms & forces & bring Islam, so he will be saved, Rostam laughed @ his letter & in the face of his messenger & said:

"This soil (pointing @ the Persian Soil on the ground) is my blood & veins, I cannot give it away, I need it to live."

Great words of wisdom from a great Nationalist. Later on, Arabs used all kinds of treachery in this war & finally Rostam ended up fighting Arabs until the last drop of blood in his body. When all was lost & the Persian forces scattered due to the sand storm, Rostam kept up the faith & the spirit of Persian Guards & fought Arabs with a small circle of his closest guards. When night came, Arabs done sudden night attack & rushed into Rostam's strong hold. Eventually Rostam got killed by the hands of Helaal The Arab, a commander of General Sa'ad Ibn Abi Al Vaghas.

Asawar Hazaraspa View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Asawar Hazaraspa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 12:55

I think he and Yazdgerd III are the most significant opposition figures in Arabic invasion of Iran. The historical muslim accounts giving very contradicting images of their fate, shows that they were resented by the Arabs and later by all muslims casue they wouldnt have given in without fight.

As for Rostam once easily can notice different muslim stories concering him and his death. 

I personally think he fell in the battle honourably being present amongst the Iranian troops and at some points fight in the front rather than staying in rearguard ( as according to  Tabari when his body found it had so many sword wounds) rather than the stories tell of his murder by a simple Arab soldier while trying to hide away.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 13:35
Barbarians? Savage Arabs? I think you are violating the forum codes something fierce here.

As for Rostam, he was without a doubt a brave man, sadly to no avail.
mehranjangh View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mehranjangh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 19:29
I agree. Although the Arab invasion did not do wonders to Iran and the invading Arabs were perhaps not so culturally refined as the Iranians, one must understand that the same can easily be said of many upstart nations, probably the Assyrians did not think much of the Medes or the Babylonians of Cyrus' army. The persians called the greek barbarians and the greek the etruscans and the romans the Goths. This has been the rule from time immemorial that more civilized people have called their neighbors barbarians only to be defeated by the very same barbarians. so I think that getting stuck on an old feud and insulting people based on events of some 1400 years age is not historically a smart thing to do.
roldo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote roldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2010 at 17:52
 Does anyone else know of an earlier, failed,invasion of sassanian territory by the arabs in the 300's?
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2010 at 14:15

its clear some persian is writing this, so much hate for arabs, so i dont trust the source at all.

this is the prophet's last sermon, does he sound barbaric to you?

This sermon was delivered by Prophet Muhammad PBUH on the 9th Day of Dhul Hijjah 10 A.H. in the Uranah valley of Mount Arafat (in Mecca). It's said that on that day, the religion was perfected, because it was when Surah 5:3 was revealed: "This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion."

(Today is the 9th day of Dhul Hijjah. We are encouraged to fast on this day.) Here is the sermon...

"O People, lend me an attentive ear, for I know not whether after this year, I shall ever be amongst you again. Therefore listen to what I am saying to you very carefully and take these words to those who could not be present here today.

O People, just as you regard this month, this day, this city as Sacred, so regard the life and property of every Muslim as a sacred trust. Return the goods entrusted to you to their rightful owners. Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your Lord, and that He will indeed reckon your deeds. Allah has forbidden you to take usury (interest), therefore all interest obligation shall henceforth be waived. Your capital, however, is yours to keep. You will neither inflict nor suffer any inequity. Allah has Judged that there shall be no interest and that all the interest due to Abbas ibn 'Abd'al Muttalib (Prophet's uncle) shall henceforth be waived...

Beware of Satan, for the safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things.

O People, it is true that you have certain rights with regard to your women, but they also have rights over you. Remember that you have taken them as your wives only under Allah's trust and with His permission. If they abide by your right then to them belongs the right to be fed and clothed in kindness. Do treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and committed helpers. And it is your right that they do not make friends with any one of whom you do not approve, as well as never to be unchaste.

O People, listen to me in earnest, worship Allah, say your five daily prayers (Salah), fast during the month of Ramadan, and give your wealth in Zakat. Perform Hajj if you can afford to.

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not, therefore, do injustice to yourselves.

Remember, one day you will appear before Allah and answer your deeds. So beware, do not stray from the path of righteousness after I am gone.

O People, no prophet or apostle will come after me and no new faith will be born. Reason well, therefore, O People, and understand words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the Quran and my example, the Sunnah and if you follow these you will never go astray.

All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listen to me directly. Be my witness, O Allah, that I have conveyed your message to your people".
roldo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote roldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2010 at 15:35
 There was a failed invasion in the 300's
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2010 at 15:59
Originally posted by roldo

Does anyone else know of an earlier, failed,invasion of sassanian territory by the arabs in the 300's?

There were some battles between Persians and Arabs from the early Sassanid period, you probably know why Arabs call Shapur II the Great (309 - 379) as "Dhul-aktaf", in fact Lakhmid Arabs had an important role in the whole Sassanid period.
Ince View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Ince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2010 at 19:35
I have met a few Arabs from Algeria and Syria and they said that the conquest of Iran was one of the greatest things the Arabs/Muslims did and are proud of it, sadly. 

Edited by Ince - 20-Nov-2010 at 19:37
Ince View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Ince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2010 at 19:43
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

There were some battles between Persians and Arabs from the early Sassanid period, you probably know why Arabs call Shapur II the Great (309 - 379) as "Dhul-aktaf", in fact Lakhmid Arabs had an important role in the whole Sassanid period.

Been reading more the Arab and Sassanids wars and came across this.  Shapur II , must of been really angry when he orderd the Extermination of the population. 

In 325, the Persians, led by Shapur II, began a campaign against the Arab kingdoms. When Imru' al-Qais realised that a mighty Persian army composed of 60,000 warriors was approaching his kingdom, he asked for the assistance of the Roman Empire. Constantius II promised to assist him but was unable to provide that help when it was needed. The Persians advanced toward al-Hirah and a series of vicious battles took place over al-Hirah and the surrounding cities.

Shapur II crushed the Lakhmid army and captured al-Hirah. He ordered the extermination of its population in retaliation of their raids on Pars. In this, the young Shapur acted much more violently than was normal at the time in order to demonstrate to both the Arab Kingdoms and the Persian nobility his power and authority. Shapur's title in Arabic is Zol 'Aktāf meaning owner of the shoulders, as he pierced the shoulders of his captives and chained them to each other by a rope. He installed Aus ibn Qallam and gave the city autonomy, thus making the kingdom a buffer zone between the Persian Empire's mainland and the territory of other Arabs in the Peninsula.

Ince View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Ince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2010 at 20:12
This was how Kurds recorded the Arab invasion and the decline of Zoroastrianism.

Hurmizgan (also Hurmuzgan, Hormizgan) is the name of an ancient Kurdish poem written on skin from muslim Arabs attacks era about 13 centuries ago. It was found around Hezarmerd village in Sulaimani province in Iraqi Kurdistan in the beginning of 19th century.

The Kurdish text and its translation in English is as following:

Hurmizgan riman, Atiran kujan
Wishan Shardewe gewrey gewrekan
Zorkar ereb kirne xapûr
Ginay paleyi heta Sharezûr
Jin u kenikan we dil beshina
Mêrd aza tli we ruy hwêna
Reweshti Zerdeshtre manuwe bekes
Bezeyika neka Hewrmez we hwichkes.
  • English translation:
The temples destroyed, the fires were turn off, (killed)
the greatest of the sirs hided himself
Cruel Arabs destroyed
The villages of poor peoples till Sharezur
They enslaved girls and women
brave men dived into their blood
The Zoroastrianism lost its followers
Ahuramazda felt pity on no one.

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2010 at 21:20

The term invasion is incorrect. To understand what was probable you need to look at the overall situation at that time

In the 300’s Arabian peninsula was inhabited very sparsely  by a few nomadic tribes. The base of wealth at the time and for many centuries after that was agriculture which was not possible in most the areas Arabs lived they partially lived in worst real state possible next to the two of the richest empires of that time. On the other hand concept of empires were somewhat based on a feudal system. Peasants paid taxes to the empire and in return the received military protection from surrounding nomads like Arabian tribes and a few others. What you are calling invasion most likely referrers to raids on the border cities in search of sustenance  

wasp View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2011 at 15:45
 No it was an invasion as the arabs setteled in sassanian terratory near the coasts of the persian gulf,and made thrusts into iraq.
 Post Reply Post Reply