Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen did blonde haired, blue eyed peoples...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: When did blonde haired, blue eyed peoples...
    Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 13:04

Originally posted by Tyranos

According to the latest information, blue eyes came from one common ancestor form out've the near East during the Neolithic.
That's not the latest information, that's the latest speculation (well, I take your word for it it's the latest).

It's very, very doubtful that blue eyes, etc only originated once. Much more likely that the various mutations occurred several times at several different places.

The theory that blue eyes was miraculously created because to attract more mates is nonsense really. Not all brunette's are brown eyed and not all blonds are blue eyed besides, moreover two brown eyed parents can produce a blue eyed child.
The last is the classic Mendelian result resulting from brown-eye dominance. The point is that two blue-eyed parents cannot produce a brown-eyed one.

The same is true of any dominant-recessive pair. For instance phenylketonuria (PKU) is inherited that way:
PKU is an autosomal recessive genetic disorder, meaning that each parent must have at least one defective allele of the gene for PAH, and the child must inherit two defective alleles, one from each parent. As a result, it is possible for a parent with PKU phenotype to have a child without PKU if the other parent possesses at least one functional allele of the PAH gene; but a child of two parents with PKU will always inherit two defective alleles, and therefore the disease.
(PKU comes to mind because I have friends who are both carriers, and had two children, both with the defect.)

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 18:26
My personal theoruy is that blonde hair / blue eyed mutations originated in Northeren Pakistan / Iran / India about 15,000 years ago.  The Aryan migration then carries this trait and Indo European languages to Europe.  

At the time, Europe, especially Ireland, Scandanavia, Germany and the Baltics were very isolated physically and genetically fromt the rest of the world.  Once placed int he population, the mutation slowly becomes the dominate expression in these regions.      Meanwhile, the trait is greatly reduced in the "Aryan Homeland" of Pakistan / India / Iran due to migrations and intermarriage with other people who do not have the trait. 

Had the Aryans went East, then there would be blonde haired, blue eyed Asians in areas such as Tibet and Korea (geographic isolation, little intermarriage or migration).  
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2008 at 02:02

The thing about blondes not nesesarily having blue eys is true,so lets not consider all blondes blue eyed.

Strange also is the fact that most kids who are blondes when they young,but with brown or green eys (not blue) tend to get their hair browner and browner as they grow older, i am an example of this.

Edited by HEROI - 21-Feb-2008 at 02:03
Me pune,me perpjekje.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2008 at 02:06
I think that there were dinstinct races from the begings of human history.I dont think that humans were once all brown and then all this staff about blondes happened.

To me the division of humans into different races seams deliberate,its ither been done by humans themself,or........................ well i dont know.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 13:12
"two brown eyed parents can produce a blue eyed child." with a little help of the milkman
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 22:31
Originally posted by HEROI

The thing about blondes not nesesarily having blue eys is true,so lets not consider all blondes blue eyed.

Strange also is the fact that most kids who are blondes when they young,but with brown or green eys (not blue) tend to get their hair browner and browner as they grow older, i am an example of this.

I am another.

It's usually explained with the fact hair becomes thicker when growing, so while the melanin keeps the same tone, since  every single hair is semi-transparent, the bulk of them seems darker when they are thicker.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 22:57
Serge L.THANKS
I have been wondering why it hapens.But surely Mixed ancestry has something there as well?
For example in my family most kids are blond when they young ,most of them brown eys,but not all of them grow their hair ( castagnie*) when they grown ups,my uncle is over 40 and does not have a very big change.Does not it has to do anything with the fact that he is light eys,and not brown eys?Surely ancestry must play a role there?
Me pune,me perpjekje.
kafkas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 05:33
Originally posted by Reginmund

Originally posted by omshanti

This is why you can find variety of hair and eye colours even in the darkest of caucasoid pepulations such as Indians or middle easteners, while mongoloid peoples only have black hair and dark brown eyes regardless of the climate/latitude/geographic location.

That's generally true, but not entirely. Especially in northeast Asia you find Mongoloids with hair that tend towards brown rather than black, so there is variation, if slighter.

It's interesting you mentioned this, some Chinese sources specifically described the Xiongnu nomads as having reddish hair and green eyes. Ancient mummies found in certain regions of China also indicate these features.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 09:10
Originally posted by Serge L

It's usually explained with the fact hair becomes thicker when growing, so while the melanin keeps the same tone, since  every single hair is semi-transparent, the bulk of them seems darker when they are thicker.

Which is not true, at least not in general. I know several people who had blond here when young, but black now. And every single strand is black if you look at it individually.

I personally had blond hair as a kid, but no longer. Now it's brownish (though whenever I leave Scandinavia people call it "blonde" anyway, so maybe my reply to the above is a bit due to translation errors).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123