Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen did blonde haired, blue eyed peoples...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: When did blonde haired, blue eyed peoples...
    Posted: 16-Dec-2007 at 04:35
Does anyone have any proof as to what colour hair did Homo-Erectus had?

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2007 at 10:00
Interesting question Paul.
The answer to your question is no.
Fossils and skeletal remains are all that are left from Homo Erectus. External appearance (such as skin and hair) is not preserved in fossils. Genetics could shed light on aspects that are not preserved in fossils, however, DNA is notoriously difficult to obtain from old fossils and specimens. The older the fossil the harder it becomes, and at the moment, retrieving DNA from the fossils of Neanderthals (who are much closer in time than Homo Erectus) is as far as it has been possible.

Homo Erectus are believed to have been the first Hominid species who left Africa and were wide spread throughout the old world. They existed for about 1,5 million years from around 2,0 million years ago to around 0,5 million years ago, which is considerably longer than modern humans. Hence it is very likely that different populations of Homo Erectus in different regions had evolved into different species from one another. Therefore we can conclude that the term Homo Erectus does not necessarily mean a species but also a grade within the evolution of hominid species.
From all this, my opinion is that Homo Erectus could have had variety of skin, hair and eye colours depending on the group/population just like the Neanderthals or modern humans who also left Africa after them did, however it was the African Homo Erectus (called Homo Ergaster by some scientists) who became ancestral to Homo Heidelbergensis (archaic Homo Sapiens) who in turn gave birth to Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis and Homo Sapiens Sapiens. In my opinion, the African Homo Erectus who became ancestral to modern humans are very likely to have had black or dark brown hair, simply because they did not leave Africa where there is the strong/selective pressure from UV radiation, and where there was no need for the skin to lighten up to absorb more vitamin D.

Edited by omshanti - 18-Dec-2007 at 22:52
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2007 at 17:08
And Orangutangs evolved between half and 2 and a half million years ago.

Can anyone prove the original humans weren't blond and black hair a recent development?

Edited by Paul - 17-Dec-2007 at 17:09
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2007 at 17:26
I think in the same way that DNA has been used to track human migration it has been used to confirm that early humans were not blond/e and did not have coloured eyes beyond the brown range.   This is what I remember reading - so I am not 100% certain.

I also remember reading that it first evolved in females - though i can't remember how that hypothesis was reached.

Edited by Zagros - 17-Dec-2007 at 17:27
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2007 at 06:06
Originally posted by Paul

And Orangutangs evolvedbetween half and 2 and a half million years ago.
Yes, Orangutans have red hair, but they belong to the genus Pongo< family Pongidae< super family Hominoidea< order Primates. Humans belong to the genus Homo< family Hominidae< super family Hominoidea< order Primates. It is believed that the split of the Hominid from the Hominoid line occured around 6 to 8 million years ago, meaning that the ancestors of humans and orangutans split 6~8 million years ago.
If we are going to bring up any species just because of the hair colour, regardless of the genetic/biological distance from humans, than any thing is possible. For example, Lions have blonde hair.
The thread is about humans however, or the hominid species (which is a primate group that includes humans and all fossil forms leading to man only) at the most.

Originally posted by Paul

Can anyone prove the original humans weren't blond and black haira recent development?
From the fact that Australoid peoples such as the Aboriginal Australians and Melanesians have also developed blonde and light hair colours, obviously (from the lack of correlation between the hair, eyes and skin colours in them) due to another independant genetic mutation different from that of the Caucasoid peoples, and from the fact that Neanderthals also had variety of hair colours due to different genetic mutations from those of the modern humans, we can assume that blonde hair or light hair colours can appear due to numerous reasons and various independant mutations.
From all this, It is possible that some early humans (I assume that by ''early humans'' you mean modern humans before leaving Africa, of 200,000 years ago to 80~40,000 years ago) had blonde or light coloured hair. It is also quite possible that blonde or light coloured hair appeared and disappeared a few times in modern humans since they came in to being, each time with diffrent and independant mutations. However as I wrote before, since there is the strong and selective pressure from the UV radiation and no need for the skin to lighten in order to absorb vitamin D, in my opinion the possibility for the majority of humans before leaving Africa to have had lighter coloured hair than black is low.

Originally posted by Zagros

I think in the same way that DNA has been used to track human migration it has been used to confirm that early humans were not blond/e and did not have coloured eyes beyond the brown range. This is what I remember reading - so I am not 100% certain.I also remember reading that it first evolved in females - though i can't remember how that hypothesis was reached.
This is really interesting Zagros, Thanks for the information. I had never heard of it. I am quite curious as to how they could tell about hair and eye colours from Y-chromosome haplogroups and mitochondrial DNA haplogroups, which I believe were used to track human migrations.
That it first evolved in females is quite possible and believable, since the blonde hair in Australoids occurs in a much highter frequency in females.
Perhaps it has something to do with sexual selection.

Edited by omshanti - 19-Dec-2007 at 00:08
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2007 at 17:58
Hi Omshanti,

Like I said, my memory on what I read is very fuzzy, I was trying to give another possible direction for the discussion hoping someone would be able to further elaborate.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2007 at 14:29

There are some climatological causes for light and dark skins, mainly that dark skin protects better against UV radiation (which is why they burn less fast, of course), whereas light skin needs less direct sunlight on it for the body to produce sufficient Vitamin D. In an outdoors living people, dark skin in the north is no problem, as they will catch enough sunlight by being outside so much, and most dark-skinned people in the north are nomadic. But for people who stay inside a lot, it can be problematic: over here, immigrant women, mainly from Morocco, who do not tend to come out much, and heavily veiled when they do, are at risk from vitamin D deficiency, and are advised to go outside at least half an hour a day without a veil, and with uncovered hands, in the back yard for example.

Although neither of these, or both toghether can fully explain the questions here, I find it hard to believe they would have nothing at all to do with it.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 05:53
How, when where and why? I dunno. Blonde haired, bue eyed people with a fair skin come from Europe, people with the darkest skin come from Africa and so on. That's all the proof we are ever going to get - nothing much.
elenos
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 11:23
I think that is about constitution. At more robust constitution, living in a cold area would lead to fair skin, hair and eyes.

In Romania we have the most fair haired in the North but also the most darked, especialy in the plain regions, including the great Southern Plain. In general, the mountainous people have blonde hair, except the Moldavians from Eastern parts which are blonde haired and they live in a low-hill region.

But the delicate constitution have dark haired in any condition, due to metabolism.

Edited by Menumorut - 24-Dec-2007 at 11:27

Onogur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 23:55

Menumorut,

In Romania, as in Bulgaria and most neighbouring countries, the people are very mixed. This is because of our geographical position and historical background as a "crossroad". So, that is the main reason for having the whole "palette" of Euroasian features (except for the far-eastern ones). So, I don't think that any research about the origin and spread of a certain characteristic in this area will be of a huge value.

For example, can you say, just by looking at someone, what part of Romania\Bulgaria\etc. he\she comes from? Or even say for certain that he/she is Romanian\Bulgarian\etc?! I personaly will never put money on that.Smile

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 00:36
I don't know in Bulgaria, but in Romania there are some areas with characteristic typologies. Most distinct is Maramures (extreme North), which are mostly blonde. Also, in North and East Moldavia the people are blond and have a "Russian" look. In Transylvania there are areas were most people are blonde: Bistrita-Nasaud, Hunedoara, Alba. But the types of faces at these groups are different. I can recognize someone from Hunedoara, is a type seeming with the faces of Dacians on the Trajan's Column, a type of blonde dinaric (atheltic profile at males, faces with well profiled traits).

At the darker haired groups too can be made distinctions. The people from Romanian Plain (Southern Romania) are different, say, for the ones from Central Modavia. In the mountainous part of Wallachia there are several types and some too are identifiable in a measure.

All these are the result of centuries and millenia of population movement and mixages.

It is almost not any resemblance between a Romanian from North of country and one from South, or one from West and one from East etc. What is common is the language (an impressive unity, due perhaps to the low level of population in the migration period) and the feelings.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 06:29

If that what you say was true, Menmorut, then Eskimos would be the blondest, bluest eyed palest people on the planet.

Arabs live in the desert yet they tend to be lighter than Eskimos or jungle dweller. So this sunshine=darker hypothsis needs a rework.

Tore The Dog View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 12:08
See if i can put in 2 maps over blondes and eye color here , and i think it is also milk tolerance in this game of quizz to , then we are landing in  "Fal Byggden" an ancient place whit stone megalits from 6000 years ago.

No go , an narrow belt over Scandinava have 80% blondes and total is 50 % below its 19%
and from Saharan dessert to Quweit , stands Zero %

I will check where the source is.

Edited by Tore The Dog - 17-Feb-2008 at 12:25
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 12:22
Originally posted by Tore The Dog

See if i can put in 2 maps over blondes and eye color here , and i think it is also milk tolerance in this game of quizz to , then we are landing in  "Fal Byggden" an ancient place whit stone megalits from 6000 years ago.

No go , an narrow belt over Scandinava have 80% blondes and total is 50 % below its 19%
and from Saharan dessert to Quweit , stands Zero %

I will check where the source is.
Hmm, where did you read that Falbygden has such a high percentage of blonde people?  Even if it would be so, which I doubt (who would conduct such a study in the first place?), it doesn't mean anything. The blue eyes surely came to Scandinavia, not from it. Blue eyes exist in many places, and while where has been pre-historical immigration waves to Scandinavia, not so many has gone the other direction. Germanic peoples emigrated long after blue eyes started existing. Of course, nothing says the mutation giving blue eyes started in several places - there is quite a big difference in the blue colours in different areas.
Tore The Dog View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 12:30
Sence they where up far north ? some Endogami perhaps , and sexual atracktion.

Looking for source again , its some years now i read about it.

On English and about ancient civilzations in Europe , but blonde is not there any more.

Edited by Tore The Dog - 17-Feb-2008 at 13:03
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 12:31
this web page:
http://pages.globetrotter.net/peter_frost61z/European-hair-and-eye-color.htm
contains interesting ideas.
Onogur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 13:50

Indeed very interesting article, Serge L! I was always thinking that the dark eye color is dominant, when someone has both dark-eyed and light-eyed predecessors.

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 14:56
That was the original theory, then somebody noticed that two green eyed parents can have a hazel eyed on (my parents nd me are an example of that), which should have been impossible.
Therefore they are restudying the theory including 3 or more gene pairs to explain eye colour transmission.
Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 17:44
According to the latest information, blue eyes came from one common ancestor form out've the near East during the Neolithic.

The theory that blue eyes was miraculously created because to attract more mates is nonsense really. Not all brunette's are brown eyed and not all blonds are blue eyed besides, moreover two brown eyed parents can produce a blue eyed child.

Also the idea that Red hair came from Neanderthals is moronic. Just because they had it too, doest mean that somehow Scottish or Irish people are Neanderthal. Red hair is a mutation its a very small minority percentage  found in populations and always has been. Its really beyond stupidity but its rather typical of science news, lots of ridiculous claims and silliness its often hard to separate fact from fiction with alotve these articles. Too many in science prefer the mixed race extinction of Neanderthals, despite the fact that no current genetic nor anthropological evidence shows such, yet its still pushed forward.

Just looking at some Neanderthal reconstruction's too,  some like  portraying  them looking way too modern human..namely like Rupert Grint from  Harry Potter fame:

The reality is that they wouldve looked more like this:

The Germanic's themeselves vary, they arent a race of clones:

Ancient Germans weren't so fair

http://dienekes.50webs.com/blog/archives/000634.html

*Blond hair can be found in non-Caucasoid populations:

Edited by Tyranos - 17-Feb-2008 at 17:49
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 02:02
Originally posted by Tyranos

two brown eyed parents can produce a blue eyed child.

Thats basically me in a nutshell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>