Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Africa, Bible the untold truth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Africa, Bible the untold truth
    Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 02:21
I thus ticked the African box which is technically correct as my mother is from Algeria. The official looked at me and answer it was not funny.

I worked with a woman who was born on an American base in Africa, she said she tried doing that once and received the same treatment as you. Personally I always tick the "Other" box as I refuse to be labeled as "White" since I don't believe in notions of race and only believe in Cultural distinctions.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 10:21

Yesterday I watched 'the closer' in TV. It's from America. They spoke about Germany and they wondered and smiled that you are a German citizen usually by origin. So it is possible that a grandfather, a father and a son are all born in Germany but are not German. What I cannot understand is that in the US you have to give you 'race'. First of all there are no 'races' at all, we are no cattle. But there is also my problem how you can decide who's white or black or yellow. What is happening if a black wife gets children with a white man? Are they white, black, striped? What's with "mixed people". If they get children? I have to think to the Nazi-regime. There were Jews, and half-blooded Jews, and Quarter-blooded Jews and Eights-blooded Jews. Usually there are photographs in a passport, so I think that would be enough to realize what skin colour a man has.

I think it is very difficult for Americans to present their history in school. The roots of America lay in England. So the history of the U.S. is originally English and 'white'. So I think you cannot teach only history in school. But when you want to teach the history of each minority you must to. I think it would be necessary to speak much more of the part of the minorities they played in the US history, the immigrants, the slaves from Africa, the chinese railway workers, the black cowboys, the native American genocide. I don't know if you do this. I could imagine that this would be hard for a lot of Wasps.

Edited by beorna - 14-Dec-2007 at 10:23
jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2007 at 04:38
Originally posted by pinguin

Go ahead, design those post and let's discuss them. I bet many people will be interested in those matters if expossed correctly.

*sigh* I've done a few times. And I will again I'm sure. The trouble is, I don't know a whole lot about African history either! Not nearly as much as I wish I did at any rate. If I get upset, it's at least in part because I think my education was far too Euro-centric. Sorry.

As regards race: "race" exists in the sense that it's not hard to tell apart someone whose ancestors come from Sweden and someone whose ancestors come from the Congo. Race has been grossly misused by politicians and pseudo-scientists in the last few centuries but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I would say though that there is no such thing as "races." There is no definitive list of how many races there are in the world, no clear dividing lines between even the most isolated groups of peoples, and no gene for race. An American, a medieval Arab, a citizen of the British Empire, and an ancient Egyptian would all give you completely different definitions of "black" and "white" because there is no definition. Only groups of inherited physical traits, and largely superficial ones at that, that sometimes travel together.

Edited by jdalton - 15-Dec-2007 at 04:40
Lords of Death and Life (a Mesoamerican webcomic)
joeamonroe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote joeamonroe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2007 at 13:37
while everyone's opinion is valid,  you have to take yourself out of your own skin and walk in the other persons life to understand their problem. this has truly been a personal journey of mines to understand my place in life as it relates to history, religion, and economics. I have come to realized that they are co-dependent and if used right you can as they say on cartoons take over the world.
Joe
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 01:45

Joeamonroe has my sympathy; African history is vastly ignored by people in general. I myself knows very little about African histories. Egyptian Empire, Nubia, and Bantu are the only ones I am familiar with, and that's only because they can be played as major power in the game "Rise of Nations".

We should try to undersand that history is merely a prospective. We only learn history for our benefits. Education institutions simply do not have time, budget and manpower to change the history textbooks to open up people's interest in histories and cultures of vastly foreign people.

Look at this scenario; most of the education institutions focus on their own national histories first. Once people have firmly good POW towards their own country, they slowly introduce different cultures and histories that are fairly linked and supporting our POW. And when our brain is firm about what's good and bad, we introduce a bit foreign cultures and histories to look as a contrast. We even start to learn about some fairly foreign cultures and histories due to economic relations, for instance. Africa is easily seen as lawless, chaotic and declining continent, something many education institutions use as example when their own countries start to fail politically.

And to be quite honest, majority of people simply don't care. Many of them simply want to pass the course to pursue different goal... and they have plenty of other things they could do rather than arguing who was right or wrong thousands of years ago. People start to learn a bit when such requirement for knowledge is necessary. Americans slowly learn more about the issues in Iraq because something's going terribly wrong in Iraq that's costing a lot of money, human lives and growth of terrorism around the globe.

There's an old saying, ignorance is a bliss. Some people take this seriously. This era demands immense competition in youth population, and many of them decided not to care how the politic and history are written, but to get good education, get a good job, find happy marriage and so forth. It's a major set-back to historians, but that's the reality.

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234