Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

and no longer in English, why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: and no longer in English, why?
    Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 03:21
In Old English there existed two letters that no longer exist in Modern English. These letters are the , (eth) and the , (thorn) both produce the 'th' dental sound as in the, through, three. My question is: what is your best guess as to why these letters no longer exist in Modern English? I personally really like these letters and wish they still existed in English like they do in other languages (ie Icelandic).

Edited by King John - 01-Dec-2007 at 03:22
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 11:02
Much of the population of England don't pronounce the 'th' at all when they speak and in and around London large numbers are completely unable to even make the sound. The whole 'th' thing(fing) is a dying sound, perhaps that explains why.

Edited by Paul - 01-Dec-2007 at 11:06
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 11:34
Those were culled from Swedish 500 years ago as well. Seems they are not popular enough.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 12:01
Originally posted by King John

I personally really like these letters and wish they still existed in English like they do in other languages (ie Icelandic).

And i would like they didn't, cause for a german tounge it's nearly unspeakable.

But in other cases Icelandic is quite similar to the German.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 16:36
Originally posted by Paul

Much ofthe population of England don't pronounce the 'th' at all when they speak and in and around London large numbers are completely unable to even make the sound. The whole 'th' thing(fing) is a dying sound, perhaps that explains why.

Paul, do you have any sources to illustrate this? I lived in London in 2004 and I heard the sound 'th' being spoken by Londoners and others. So I am a little skeptical of this statement.

I also have another part to the question. Is it possible that with the Norman Conquest and the influx of French speaking aristocracy the and were eliminated by the Normans? What do you all think about this, likely or unlikely?

For those of you who know Icelandic or Old Norse or any language that has the and character could you possibly explain the difference in usage?   That is when do you use one over the other?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 16:43
as in "thing", as in "that". The latter is never used in the beginning of words.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 17:11
Styrbjorn, or anybody else, is that the only difference in usage? Can a appear anywhere or just at the beginning? Could you spell the Old Norse word far as far or is the thorn strictly used for the beginning of the words and the eth used within the word?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 17:44
Originally posted by King John

[
Paul, do you have any sources to illustrate this? I lived in London in 2004 and I heard the sound 'th' being spoken by Londoners and others. So I am a little skeptical of this statement. 

People you met in London probably weren't born there. You can stay in London a long time and never realise you're yet to meet a native.
  • The dental fricatives [θ, ] are replaced with labiodental [f, v], for example think [fɪŋk]
  • The diphthong /aʊ/ is monophthongized to [ː], for example south [sːf]
  • H-dropping, for example house [ːs]
  • Replacement of [t] in the middle or end of a word with a glottal stop; for example hit [ɪʔ]
  • Diphthong shift of [iː] to [əi] (for example beet [bəiʔ]), [eɪ] to [aɪ] (for example bait [baɪʔ]), [aɪ] to [ɒɪ] (for example bite [bɒɪʔ]), and [ɔɪ] to [oɪ] (for example, boy [boɪ].
  • Vocalisation of [ɫ] (dark L) to [ɯ], for example, people [pəipɯ]

Edited by Paul - 01-Dec-2007 at 17:58

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 19:12
Paul, are you using the Cockney accent as an indicator of all England? I only ask this because your above post is only a short quote from the wikipedia article describing Southern English Dialect. This quote however doesn't discuss all of England but rather a particular London dialect, Cockney. This dialect is not symptomatic of greater English trends of pronunciation. I also ask this because you made the statement earlier that "Much of the population of England don't pronounce the 'th' at all when they speak." Are you then taking the London Cockney accent as indicative of the English ability to pronounce the 'th' sound? The Cockney region of London is mostly the East End (but not entirely). While in London I met many people born and raised in london and as I said before they were fully able to make the 'th' sound.

The question here is more about written English then spoken English. However, spoken English still uses the 'th' sound, some slangs and sub-cultures might replace the 'th' with a 'd' sound. That however doesn't mean that they are unable to make the 'th' sound.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 20:49
Does anybody know of any books, essays, or other writings on the topic at hand? I am going to have a lot of free time soon and would like some more things to read.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 21:22
Just putting forward the theory. As you say, 2 of the 3 'th' sounds have died in the english language. All three have died in much of London (primarily the south and east). So it seems to be a naturally dying sound. Perhaps Londoners are just a little ahead of the rest of the country and it will die nationally.

And outside London you are beginning to hear London pronunciation repeated by people believing it's trendy to do so. particularly in the counties around London (there's even a name for this phenomena -mockneye-) and occasionally even further north.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 21:49
Does it make the same sound in Scandanavian languages? I personally really like it too.  Also there was the letter which was a combination of a & e which still at least exists in Danish.

Much of the population of England don't pronounce the 'th' at all when they speak and in and around London large numbers are completely unable to even make the sound. The whole 'th' thing(fing) is a dying sound, perhaps that explains why.

You should move to Edinburgh, English is spoken properly there.

Edited by Zagros - 01-Dec-2007 at 21:50
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 22:05
Originally posted by Paul

Just putting forward the theory. As you say,2 of the 3'th' sounds have died in the english language. All three have died in much of London (primarily the south and east). So it seems to be a naturally dying sound. Perhaps Londoners are just a little ahead of the rest of the country and it will die nationally.

And outside London you are beginning to hear London pronunciation repeated by people believing it's trendy to do so. particularly in the counties around London (there's even a name for this phenomena -mockneye-)and occasionally even further north.

The 'th' sound hasn't died out though, just the two earlier letters used to represent the sound. Modern English however isn't limited to England or the areas surrounding London, 'th' sound is still in great use in other English speaking nations just like in England. The question at the heart of this thread is why do you think that the , and , have been replaced (in writing) by the representation of this same sound as 'th'? Why do you think this was the case? Did it have something to do with the Norman Conquest? Would you embrace these letters if the came back into English? (I know this is a silly question but I think the answer is interesting) I personally feel that letters like , , , , and give written language a certain unique feel. As opposed to the standard latin alphabet where everything is so standardized and boring.
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2007 at 17:25
I think you're right about it having to do with the Norman conquest.  Those letters didn't exist in the latin alphabet the Normans were using by then.  What is true is that when the printing press came to Britain, most of the books were printed in the area close to and around London and therefore the dialect of this region (and its spellings) became the standard.  It's known that these early prints had already replaced eth and thorn as the early English grammarians tried to reconcile Anglo-Saxon and Norman spellings. 
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
jacobtowne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote jacobtowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2007 at 21:05
Neither 'th' sound has died at all in the States. In areas with Germanic or Eastern European people, one is frequently pronounced 'd' and the other 't', although schools attempt to eradicate those pronounciations.

Here's a line by line translation into modern English of Beowulf. It clearly shows the old symbols as used by modern 'th.'

http://www.heorot.dk/beo-intro-rede.html

JT

Edited by jacobtowne - 03-Dec-2007 at 21:06
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 04:32
Jacob, thanks for the Beowulf text. Another question for anybody who wants to attempt an answer. Why is Icelandic the only language in which the letters and survive? At least it is the only one that I can think of. I'm not talking about the sounds produced by these sounds but rather strictly the letters. Does Icelandic use the letter combination of 'th,' as in English the or that, or does it simply use the and/or in its place?
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 19:02

perhaps the invention of the printing press also played a role.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 20:08
If it does then why did these letters not die out in Icelandic?
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 21:10
perhaps because the printing press did not have the same effect in Iceland as it did in England
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 21:47
What effect did it have or not have in Iceland? Would you care to elaborate on your statements?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>