Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Classical Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classical Music
    Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 19:59
Recently I've been listening to a lot of classical music on Pandora (free internet radio). I really like the works of Alexander Borodin, Antonin Dvorik, Jean Sibelius, Richard Wagner,  Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, and Beethoven.

Does anyone else like classical? If so, what do you think of the composers I mentioned? What composers are you fond of?
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 20:04
I like classical music as well, although different composers. My favorites are Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Modest Mussorsky and in folk classic I like Joaquin Rodrigo.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 20:53
I do too as well.

I have recently seen a great production of the Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky with my girlfriend.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 01:08
I absolutely love classical music.  I am a big fan of all the composers you listed.  If I had to choose a favorite out of the ones you mentioned I would go with either Beethoven or Tchaikovsky. 

Classical music is my favorite type of music with the possible exception of classic rock.  For the sake of length I'll try and just mention a few other composers I like: (and exclude the obvious greats like Mozart, Bach, etc.)
Rossini,
Bizet,
Handel,
Boccherini,
Verdi,
Brahms,
etc. etc. etc. (the list goes on and on and on, though some composers I like just for one or two songs)

There was a thread a while back on classical music you might enjoy looking through:

Edited by Justinian - 28-Nov-2007 at 01:13
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 01:47
It may sound as a joke (Well, it is a joje, but it is true, also). I do have Barroque Music song in Amerindian languages, writen in the 17th century. Just in case anyone wants to try it LOL
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 23:00
Originally posted by pinguin

It may sound as a joke (Well, it is a joje, but it is true, also). I do have Barroque Music song in Amerindian languages, writen in the 17th century. Just in case anyone wants to try it LOL

You've got to be kiddingLOL Where did you find that?

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 23:06
Wow, I am amazed that Chopin in not in the listThumbs%20Down

Join us.
Ragozy View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ragozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 23:08
Don't forget Rachmaninov, Saint-Saens or Puccini. Yes, I know...Opera. It is fab!
"The truest measure of a society is how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners."
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 23:14
Originally posted by Adalwolf

Recently I've been listening to a lot of classical music on Pandora (free internet radio). I really like the works of Alexander Borodin, Antonin Dvorik, Jean Sibelius, Richard Wagner,  Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, and Beethoven.

Does anyone else like classical? If so, what do you think of the composers I mentioned? What composers are you fond of?

I like these composers.  My all-time favorite is probably Mozart; I really like his Requiem Mass.

Adalwolf, if you like metal music, you must check out the following works.  Their composers are the "heavy metal" artists of classical music:

1. Gustav Holst, The Planets

2. Stravinsky, The Rite of Spring; The Firebird Suite

3. Orff, Carmina Burana

4. Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition; Night on the Bald Mountain

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 23:29

Good choices BE, 2-4 on your list are excellent, especially Carmina Burana.  (that could be considered heavy metal for today, let alone for the classical era)Wink  I have never heard of Holst.  (or if I have I don't recall him)  Is The Planets the most recognizable of his works?

Edited by Justinian - 30-Nov-2007 at 23:30

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 23:34
Originally posted by Justinian

Good choices BE, 2-4 on your list are excellent, especially Carmina Burana.  I have never heard of Holst.  (or if I have I don't recall him)  Is The Planets the most recognizable of his works.

Thanks.  Yes, one can instantly recognize "Mars, The Bringer of War" from The Planets.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 23:41
...for more Heavy Metal classicals try:

Wagner - Die Walkure and Gotterdammerung

...for Piano go with Rachmaninov and Grieg

Bach for Baroque

other fun composers

- Prokofiev
- Ravel
- Stravinsky
- ELO (Wink)

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 23:45
for those who want to listen to prog with a heavy classical twist try:

The Enid - In the Region of the Summer Stars
               - Aerie Fairie Nonsense
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 00:27
Originally posted by pekau

Originally posted by pinguin

You've got to be kiddingLOL Where did you find that?

Well, I am making fun of myself because ethnocentricity LOL.
However, the music itself is for real. Those are barroque music compossed by Jesuit priests and also American Indians, during the 16th to the 18th centuries in South America. I have tunes in Mapudungun, the language of the Mapuches. Now, it sounds identical to European barroque music and you can't figure it out the language is not European.

You can find documentation in here (In Spanish. Go babelfish)

And to downplay the music go here:

(To download MP3, put the mouse on top of the "loudspeaker" icon, press right button and press in "download destination...")

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 04:32
Originally posted by Seko

ELO (Wink)
LOL  Thank you good sir for putting a smile on my face.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 04:48

- Prokofiev

Ah yes, I forgot to mention him.  Prokofiev is very heavy too.

- ELO (Wink)

Oh no, you must mean ELP! LOL Wink

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 06:10
Classical music is ace. Of those mentioned by you, I'm quite into Beethoven, my favourites being "Waldstein Sonata", "Appassionata" (Piano sonata no.23) and most others. I'd say my favourite piece would have to be Claude Debussy's "Clair de Lune" - the Orchestral one, but the piano version is great too. Oh I also love "Pavane" by Gabriel Faure! The list goes on...
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 07:46
My parents told me that when i was an infant, they would play classical music really low in my room as it appeared to help me sleep better. I guess thats why im so into it now.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 11:49
Wow its amazing how many people like classical music.

For me I mainly listen to classical music in opera's with the likes of Puccini and Verdi to name a couple. I'm sure Mr. Mendel would be up me for forgetting the names of the others that we watched/listened if I was still in school
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 11:57
Well, of course many people like Classical music. For many, it is the best of music. The rest are folk tunes Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>