Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women in Central Asian History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ancalimon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ancalimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women in Central Asian History
    Posted: 10-Jan-2011 at 14:44

Süyün Bike

Tumaris Katun (Tomris Hatun)

Women in Turkic mythology:

Edited by ancalimon - 10-Jan-2011 at 14:51
kukaracha View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kukaracha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2010 at 09:43
Tumaris (4th c. BC) - Queen and leader of the Massagets (Skyths). Her victory over the Achemenids King of Medeos was preceded by diplomatic efforts, having urged him to give up his plans for territorial expansion.

Gavkharshadbegum - Widow of Shukhrukh, son of Timur, she was temporary governor while raising her son Ulugbek.

Roxanne (325 BC) - Sogdian princess who became the wife of Alexander the Great.

Sarai mulk Khanum (Bibi Khanum) - of Genghis Khan dynasty. Oldest wife of Amir Temur, patron of the arts, and construction supervisor of several madrassahs, mosques, mausoleums.

Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2010 at 23:55
There was once a man named Kineas, an Athenian cavalry commander who was dismissed from the army of Alexander and vengefully exiled by his own city. His mercenary force and their Scythian allies had defeated a mighty Macedonian army at the Ford of the River God and his adopted city of Olbia, where he had been appointed a hipparch, sort of a governor, was now free again.

But his destiny will not allow him to enjoy the fruits of victory for long. Far to the east, at the farthest edge of the Sea of Grass, Alexander is threatening to crush the Scythian hordes once and for all.

The Lady Srayanka of the Cruel Hands, the Scythian warrior-princess who spurned a king's love to be at Kineas's side, is pledged to take her tribe east to help stop 'the monster' - and Kineas knows he has no choice but to follow, even if it means embracing the violent death in battle that he has seen prefigured in countless dreams.

But long before he can confront the might of Alexander's army alongside his beloved Srayanka, he must undertake an epic journey of breathtaking daring ...

Read the rest of the tale in ... Storm of Arrows by Christian Cameron.
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
Bilge_Kagan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Bilge_Kagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2010 at 14:22

Despite the common knowledge, we Turks don't know much about Mongols and as far as i know, neither they do about us. But that doesn't mean, they're completely seperate or far away from us. 

I live in Turkey, was born there... I know much about Turkey, maybe a little more than a regular person. Ottoman Empire (Osmanlı Devleti / İmparatorluğu in modern Turkish) was based on Islam and being a Turk was a secondary principle for them. When Kemal Ataturk (Mustafa Kemal Atatürk means, ancestor of Turks)  came to power, that changed completely. He destroyed the empire almost completely with the misguided wills of other people. Others from the people with thoughts of being a Turk, as a first value. So he used them to establish a modern, much more civilized country and a country that based on Turkish culture. 

Why did i tell you this? For this... Women was important when we were in Central Asia. Our recorded history, indicates that when the ruler (Kağan / Hakan / Han  -  Khan in English) was absent, their women used to manage everything. And when king was present, they had the power to question the Hakan's decides. 

But Ottoman Empire didn't show the appropriate respect to her women. It was not a good age for Turks, either. Because of Islam... 

By the way, i'm new to this forum and let me introduce myself: 

Name is Mert, (Persian word for Chivalrous, honest, etc.- Merd) Surname is Karaca... (Kara-ca, meaning near to black) But that name comes from Kara-Cı... Meaning blacker... One who produces black. :)

I'm from Turkey, twenty years old. I study Electronics Engineering, at Kadir Has University, in İstanbul... I'm an atheist. :D

Dude, first of all, your surname doesn't mean "near to black" or "blacker". Karaca simply means small deer.

Secondly, Ottoman Empire era was not a "that bad" period for Turks. Yeah, some bad things happened but they were mostly reflexive (if you riot, you get punished. That's all.). You cannot explain how did modern Turkish Republic was founded, if Ottoman Empire was completely against Turks and wasn't ruled by Turks.

After that, it's true that women had a more recessive role during Ottoman Era but that does not have anything to do with Islam. Only reason is orthodox Islam replaced heterodox Islam and some corrupted statesmen/religious authorities used that to put women to an inferior level (which is originally an Emevid tradition).

Just because you're an atheist doesn't mean you can accuse Islam for everything, without knowledge.

For the topic, we Altaic people are not really into writing things (that's because of a belief which implies "writing down something, reduces its value") that's why we don't have much of a knowledge about women's role in steppe people. You can refer to Gazi Zahireddin Muhammed Babur Han's "Baburname" (which is originally called Vekayi probably), he wrote down almost everything he has been through and there are women names who are sometimes really decisive.

Ey Turk budunu ! Sozumu iit ! Saglamca dinle ! Ustte Gok Basmasa. Altta Yer Delinmese Ilini Toreni Kim Bozabilir ? Titre ve Kendine gel !

Bilge Kagan
GökTürk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote GökTürk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2009 at 13:23
In Old Nomad History,there is equality for women.Women could be Khan,and they can join army for war.But women cursed in comunity with arabic religion(Islam).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 19:54
@erkTR

actually we know Mongols. Mongols shaped great deal of Anatolian Turkish history. As far as I remember, in Anatolia there were +100 Mongol family/tribes during Ottoman era, compared to +2000 Kurdish and +40.000 Turcoman family/tribes. I forgot the exact the date of when this survey was done by Ottoman officials.

Women lost their role in the society as Sunni Islam replaced heterodox Islam (Bektashi/Alevi culture). Having roots in late 15th century around the capital, Sunni Islam became dominant belief system in late 16th century and early 17th century.
ErkTR View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ErkTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2008 at 18:13

Despite the common knowledge, we Turks don't know much about Mongols and as far as i know, neither they do about us. But that doesn't mean, they're completely seperate or far away from us. 

I live in Turkey, was born there... I know much about Turkey, maybe a little more than a regular person. Ottoman Empire (Osmanlı Devleti / İmparatorluğu in modern Turkish) was based on Islam and being a Turk was a secondary principle for them. When Kemal Ataturk (Mustafa Kemal Atatürk means, ancestor of Turks)  came to power, that changed completely. He destroyed the empire almost completely with the misguided wills of other people. Others from the people with thoughts of being a Turk, as a first value. So he used them to establish a modern, much more civilized country and a country that based on Turkish culture. 

Why did i tell you this? For this... Women was important when we were in Central Asia. Our recorded history, indicates that when the ruler (Kağan / Hakan / Han  -  Khan in English) was absent, their women used to manage everything. And when king was present, they had the power to question the Hakan's decides. 

But Ottoman Empire didn't show the appropriate respect to her women. It was not a good age for Turks, either. Because of Islam... 

By the way, i'm new to this forum and let me introduce myself: 

Name is Mert, (Persian word for Chivalrous, honest, etc.- Merd) Surname is Karaca... (Kara-ca, meaning near to black) But that name comes from Kara-Cı... Meaning blacker... One who produces black. :)

I'm from Turkey, twenty years old. I study Electronics Engineering, at Kadir Has University, in İstanbul... I'm an atheist. :D 

Edited by ErkTR - 25-Dec-2008 at 18:14
capcartoonist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote capcartoonist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2008 at 11:13
It's not inconvenient, Pennelope, as long as I don't have to carry it from here to there. LOL
Cap
Asawar Hazaraspa View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Asawar Hazaraspa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 11:37
include into your insight such names as early as "Sarmatian" "Scythian" as well as the Altaic names.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 07:49

This is a very interesting topic, in fact, i love it. I love this topic so much, that im gonna "steal" it and take it to my domain, "Women's History", becuase i think it would have a great place there. Sorry for the inconvenience.Wink

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
Asawar Hazaraspa View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Asawar Hazaraspa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2008 at 11:02
There surely were more than that, many of the anonymous noble women and warrior women found in different parts of the great steppe in kurgans is good proof for their significant role in very arly times. 
capcartoonist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote capcartoonist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2008 at 08:05
Ogul Gamish was executed, along with a co-conspirator.  The two women were sewn up into burlap sacks and thrown into a pond.

Gamish & Company attempted a coup the night of Mongku's coronation.  A group of army officers were caught trying to smuggle weapons into the camp.  When confronted, they admitted their guilt and spilled the beans. (Mongols took pride in always being truthful.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6ngke_Khan    will give you a brief summary, but for a detailed report of events, pick up "The March of the Barbarians" and read the chapter "The Book of the Three Ladies." 

As for other notable Mongol women, Chinghis had 2 daughters that we know of: Alaghai (called Lady Al) and Altun. 
ProMongol View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ProMongol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2008 at 22:56
http://www.theglobalist.com/dbweb/StoryId.aspx?StoryId=4601

Globalist Document > Global History
The Women Who Ruled the Mongol Empire

By Jack Weatherford | Monday, June 20, 2005  

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 01:58
Has anyone heard of Suzgeh the wife of Kuchum Kahn from the Kaganate of Siberia?
Jalair View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jalair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 18:37
Some more:

Tarkan Khatoon mother of Mohammad Khorazmshah 

Gawhar Shad  wife of Shahrukh MIrza.

Zebunesa Begum Aurangzebs daughter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeb-un-Nissa

Jahanara Begum daughter of Shah Jahan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahanara_Begum_Sahib

Nadera Begum Wife of Amir Alim Khan from CA Khanat
Zarra
khutulun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote khutulun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 07:39
wow. sweet, thank you for the info!
ProMongol View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ProMongol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 20:09
Mother Alungoo. teaching of the Alungoo mother for her five sons is symbol of the Mongolians unity. Alungoo says her teaching to her five sons: You all were conceived in my womb. If you would be as one arrow, any one can give you harm. If you would be as a package of arrows, youll be invisible and able to defeat your enemy.
character of Alungoo mother is derived from the "Secret history of the Mongols

-  Hoelun/ Oeulun was the mother of the CHinggis Khaan Together with his wife Brte    Hoelun was counted as one of the most trusted advisors of Genghis Khan.

-  Brte Ujin was the Grand Empress of Chinggis Khaan, founder of the Mongol empire. She was the first wife of Genghis Khan and was the head of the first Court of Genghis Khan and most trusted advisor.

-  Tregene Khatun  was  Khatun and ruled as regent of the Mongol Empire from the death of her husband gedei Khan in 1241 until the election of her eldest son Gyk Khan in 1246.-over a 5 year period in which she not only ruled the empire, but set the stage for the ascension of her son Gyk as Great Khan.

- Oghul Ghaimish ruled as regent of the Mongol empire after the death of her husband Gyk Khan in 1248. A great power struggle erupted over the question of who should be the next Khan. After her opponent Mngke was elected, Oghul was summoned to court and arrested. On the grounds that she had used black magic against Mngke, she was forced to commit suicide. 

-  Sorghaghtani Beki- or Sorkhokhtani (died 1252), a Kereyid princess and daughter-in-law of Genghis Khan, was one of the most powerful and competent women in the Mongol Empire. Married to Tolui, Genghis' youngest son, she raised her sons to be leaders, and maneuvered the family politics so that all four of her sons were to become Great Khans, founding several dynasties:

She is spoken of very highly both in the Secret History, as well as by Muslim, Chinese and Christian historians.

If I were to see among the race of women another woman like this, I should say that the race of women was far superior to that of men (Syriac scholar Bar Hebraeus)[1][2]

Sorkhokhtani died in February 1252 around the Mongol New Year festival, a few months after Mongke's accession ceremony. She was given the title of empress in 1310 in a ceremony that included a Nestorian mass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorghaghtani_Beki

-  Mandukhai Khatun is also known as Queen Manduhai the Wise of the Mongols.

After the death of Mandukhai's husband, Manduul Khan, in 1467 she adopted the five year old orphan Batmonkh, son of Bayanmonhe Jinong. He was the last living descendant of Kublai Khan and she had him proclaimed Dayan Khan. For this purpose she renounced her love for nbolad Wang who was a descendant Hasar, a brother of Genghis Khan, to continue her struggle for unity of Mongolia as Dayan Khaan's regent. Thus Mandukhai took command over the Mongols and warred with the Oirats, whom she managed to defeat.

When Batmonkh turned nineteen, she married him and retained her control over the Mongols. The later khaans and nobles of Mongolia are her descendants.

06.04.1940-11.10.1944
Head of State Khertek Anchimaa-Toka, People's Republic of Tannu Tuva

23.09.1953-07.07.1954
Acting Head of State Shbaataryn Yanjmaa, Mongolia 

Edited by ProMongol - 24-Nov-2007 at 20:10
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 22:40
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

TheMysticNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheMysticNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 11:50
Wink 
Unify All Countries!
khutulun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote khutulun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 01:40
Thank you for the info Temujin, can you refer any books or other sources for me to look into?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>