Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arabic Sript vs. Latin Script

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arabic Sript vs. Latin Script
    Posted: 22-Nov-2007 at 20:45
Feonor
Reformists tried everything, including 'imitating Western science & technology, but staying away from its culture' thing

Science and technology is not "imitated", science and technology can be learned and improved upon.

Culture however, can be imitated, while understanding technology is a science ie it can be fully understood and utlised but culture cannot, culture is the product of a nation or nations the events and situations in those lands shape the culture. Another nation cannot "copy" a culture, they can never fully understand or be a part of something they are not.

Feonor
I just tried to point out that Turks were under the strong effect of Arabic culture overall.

Turks under the stong effect of Arabic culture as much as Arabs were under the strong effect of Turkish culture, especially in the Levant region.

Feonor
and other Muslims may view Islam as a universal message to guide human beings in some ridiculous test of a deity, whereas I think it's a gigantic part of Arabic culture.

Why then did the muslim Turks become most powerfull among Turks? how did they become world super powers ruling from Kashgar to Kazan from Delhi to Damascus. How did the Turkish language become recognised as a great world language in the muslim world alongside Arabic and Persian. How did the Turkish arts and culture flourish etc etc

Now look at non-muslim Turks, Christian Bulgars have a tantrum when you mention Bulgars are Turks, the other non-muslim Turkic groups are small minorities who didn't produce great states like their muslim bro's did.

Please explain this, what logic do you use to come to the conclusion that it is just "Arabic culture" when Turks have achieved so much since becomming muslim.

Edited by Bulldog - 22-Nov-2007 at 20:45
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2007 at 20:50
Al Jassas
My main goal is not whether Arabic script is superious to latin or vise vesa or whether Turkey should return to Arabic script or Farsi and Arabic should ditch it. The main question is: Is it worth it?

There is no superior or inferior script.

Al Jassas 
Changing the script literally means detaching a language from it old roots and detaching society of its entire written heritage. Is this worth it?

Its just a script, it has nothing to do with language, it does not detach it from old roots or society from its entire written heritage. 

Anybody can learn any script they like. You can write Japanease in Latin script or Arabic script if you wanted but Japeanease is Japanease whatever script is used this doesn't change. 

If the society chose the switch then its the society's who wants the boycott but if the government chose that, is it their right to steal centuries of national treasure and impose their own version. This is what happened in Turkey and Central Asian republics

For Turkey and Central Asia it really doesn't matter if they use Arab or Latin script, they are neither Arab or Latin.

You surely cannot be as naive to think that changing a script creates some mass memory loss and changes people on the spot.

Anyway I think its beneficial to learn different scripts you never know when they can come in handy. 

Edited by Bulldog - 22-Nov-2007 at 20:55
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2007 at 21:59
but if the government chose that, is it their right to steal centuries of national treasure and impose their own version

Al Jassas, Ottoman Turks were mostly a nation of peasants. I don't know the exact percentage of illiteracy, but I'm sure it's high enough to prove that they couldn't enjoy their rich culture as you continuously claim. Besides, today the ones who are enthusiastic about Ottomans can learn its language in its own script very easily. Why should history play a significant part in everyday life?

they can never fully understand or be a part of something they are not

Yes, they can Mr. Bulldog. How else Turks could become Muslim & Middle Eastern when they originated somewhere around Mongolia or Siberia?

Turks under the stong effect of Arabic culture as much as Arabs were under the strong effect of Turkish culture, especially in the Levant region.

Really? How many Arabs in Syria or Lebanon have Turkish names? How many Turkish words are there in Arabic language? If it was not for Ataturk's reform, our language would be filled with foreign words. But loanwords weren't destroyed either, so Turkish has become pure and even more richer, at the same time.

List of Replaced Words in Turkish

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2007 at 23:07
Feanor
Yes, they can Mr. Bulldog. How else Turks could become Muslim & Middle Eastern when they originated somewhere around Mongolia or Siberia?

This is a totally different issue.

Turks themselves became muslim, Turks migrated across Turkistan through the Near East and across the middle east.

These Turks culture is there own culture, sure they borrowed aspects of the cultures they met and lent parts of their culture to others.

However, the key point is, Turks developed this, it was what they created and was shaped by their surrounding and situations. 

Feanor
Really? How many Arabs in Syria or Lebanon have Turkish names? How many Turkish words are there in Arabic language? If it was not for Ataturk's reform, our language would be filled with foreign words. But loanwords weren't destroyed either, so Turkish has become pure and even more richer, at the same time.

Do you know any Syrians or Lebanease?

Baybars is a popular name in the Levant, you can hear names like Agha, Khan etc my Syrian friend knows many Turkish words and terms and says some Turkish words are popular in colloquial language. He is from Aleppo/Halab and his father plays a baglama.
There have been cultural exchanges between Arabs and Turks especially in the regions they lived closest together.

The language of a court invents terms and uses language in a way that people of that class will understand. This is the same in countries with royal households, for example the Queen's English has differences to the peoples English.

There can be a justification of Arabic words in Turkish, they have had a historical connection for over a millenia now living under the same states.

However, how can you justify Turkish words being replaced with French words? why arn't you outraged about this? today alot of Turkish people I talk to are disgusted with some segments of the media and their awfull use of Turkish, they feel ashamed that these so-called intellects try to stick foreign words into their language to appear more intellectual. 

Edited by Bulldog - 22-Nov-2007 at 23:10
Albert Pine

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 00:17

Hello Bulldog

Since you claim that the Turkish language and identity did not suffer from the change then I will ask the next very simple question: Has all the  Arabic script turkish literature been translated into modern Turkish and is it available for the common Turkish person? If the answer is yes then the argument is completely invalid for Turkish but if no, then you must admit that an integral part of the Turkish heritage is lost.

But the argument for the detachment stays for a language like Arabic or Farsi. For example there are over 1000 poets of significance who lived in the first 300 years of Islam. The Entire arabic heritage is maybe over 3 million books and any argument that says that changing the script will not affect the heritage and culture of people speaking that language is just absurd. Who the hell is going to translate all that heritage or even the good portion of it. Just like turkey post Ottoman, nearly 60% of the Arab population is either half or fully illiterate so changing the script will be rather simple especially in places with high illiteracy rates like morocco and Yemen. But to those newly taught, how can they establish a connection between their present latin written and their past. I think this is a legitimate argument.

AL-Jassas
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 00:52
Al_Jassas
Since you claim that the Turkish language and identity did not suffer from the change then I will ask the next very simple question: Has all the  Arabic script turkish literature been translated into modern Turkish and is it available for the common Turkish person? If the answer is yes then the argument is completely invalid for Turkish but if no, then you must admit that an integral part of the Turkish heritage is lost.

Ofcourse, even the books written by the founder of the state was written using the Arabic script. The major works of literature are all translated because afterall its a script, its not like translating from a language to another. Todays Turks have acess to their forefathers literatures.

However, there has also been a loss.

For example, a Turk who cannot understand the Arabic script cannot read even what is on their grandfathers tombstones.
However, if they knew the Arab script they could understand it.

This is why I feel its important to have knowledge of the script, it should be taught in state education. Even though most important materials are easily translated there is so much that is not significant on a large scale but important on a pesonal level that would be understood better, it also is enriching to have knowledge of different scripts.

Edited by Bulldog - 23-Nov-2007 at 00:55
Albert Pine

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 00:55
This is a totally different issue.

No, it's not. You think that way because you are a religious person. Turkish elites decided to be like Arabs when they thought that it would serve their interests, and they decided to be like Europeans when the time was right.

Do you know any Syrians or Lebanease?

No, but I know many Turkish people and they mostly have Arabic names like Ahmet, Mehmet rather than Turkic ones. And I know that 4,000,000 Turkish women are named as Fatma. So what's the figure for Syria or Lebanon?

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 01:03
Feanor
No, it's not. You think that way because you are a religious person. Turkish elites decided to be like Arabs when they thought that it would serve their interests, and they decided to be like Europeans when the time was right.

Proove they decided to be like Arabs, infact show me these many examples of Arabic culture in Turkish society, if Arabs had Turks in some strangle hold like you make up then there Turks should all have Arab customs and traditions.

How can you feel so inferior that your willing to try and be a part of a culture which you don't belong to and never will be accepted into.

I have been free since the beginning and forever will be so.
What madman shall put me in chains! I defy the very idea!
I'm like the roaring flood; powerful and independent......

The lands of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer....

Why can't you just be yourself.

Feanor
No, but I know many Turkish people and they mostly have Arabic names like Ahmet, Mehmet rather than Turkic ones. And I know that 4,000,000 Turkish women are named as Fatma.

These are religous names, and they gave these names freely, Arabs didn't force them too.
Albert Pine

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 01:09
lol. I am sure that most people are not aware of where the name they give their children originates.  My great grandmother thought that Ali and Muhammad were Iranian! No joke.  She was illiterate.  On my father's side the older uncles have Arabic names like Gholam-Hossein, Gholam-Reza, Abdul-Reza, the younger ones have Iranian names like Bahman and Bahram.  This is over a period where my grandparents became less superstitious and stopped naming their children with Islamic names (I am not sure whether they were aware that the names were Arabic or not, only Muslim as far as they were concerned). 

My point is that certain things become tradition within a society and their roots are often forgotten.  In Turkey now, it seems that trash culture has taken a grip of a portion of the society and if that is beyond a simple fad then it too will become traditional and seen as Turkish over time.  And I simply use Turkey as an example.

Edited by Zagros - 23-Nov-2007 at 01:12
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 01:15

Originally posted by Bulldog

However, how can you justify Turkish words being replaced with French words? why arn't you outraged about this? today alot of Turkish people I talk to are disgusted with some segments of the media and their awfull use of Turkish, they feel ashamed that these so-called intellects try to stick foreign words into their language to appear more intellectual.

This is why I feel its important to have knowledge of the script, it should be taught instate education.Even though most important materials are easily translated there is so much that is not significant on a large scale but important on a pesonal level that would be understood better, it also is enriching to have knowledge of different scripts.

Scripts and languages evolve over time. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Foreign words will always find their way into different languages. I used to be annoyed with it; nowadays I just accept it, and avoid using the most silly English terms that so often make their way into Swedish. What's the harm - it's not that you can talk with your ancestors anyway. Those ancestors in turn spoke a different language then their ancestors, and this iterates all the way back to the days of the language of grunting.

We used to use runes, now we also have adopted the Latin alphabeth since it's more efficient. If I want to read runes, I can just learn the runic alphabeth (which I have, by the way) - it's more beneficient to be able to read other languages of my contemporary world. Languages evolve, and be happy for that. Otherwise it would be *grunt* *grunt* everywhere.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 23-Nov-2007 at 01:18
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 02:53
I have been free since the beginning and forever will be so.
What madman shall put me in chains! I defy the very idea!
I'm like the roaring flood; powerful and independent......

The lands of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...

Written by a pan-Islamist... Wow, what a great example.

religous names

There is no such thing.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 05:09
religous names

There is no such thing.

Christopher and Abudullah would be quite surprised to hear this. I think Christian and Islam would be rolling in laughter.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 23-Nov-2007 at 05:09
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 05:17
Abdullah means 'the slave of god' in Arabic. And Christopher is 'the English version of a Europe-wide name derived from the Ancient Greek Χριστόφορος (Christphοros)' according to Wikipedia.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 08:41
Hello tou you all

Well since you claim that all "major" works were translated, then by which authority have you decided if this work is important or not. FOr example, let us assume that French turned by some majic into an Islamic state back in 1890 and the institute regulating the language decided to switch to Arabic, then by you reckoninig, a poet like Rimbaud would have remained obscure to this day because he simply sold very little of his work and it was only in after WWI he became popular. If english were to change into the Arabic script James Fennimore Cooper would have been considered the preeminent novelist of America while Herman Melville's work would have been lost forever maybe (imagine a world without Moby-Dick). If Arabic chose latin when this was first suggested back in the 19th century the entire Andalusian heritage and much of it is far much better than eastern heritage would have been lost since the attitdudes were very hostile and it was only recognized as great literature back in the mid 20th century. So, who has the authority to determine which is which?

And Styrbiorn, if the question was as simple as what you have suggested, then why the hell waste time to discuss it. But the problem is not that simple. How many literary works have been written in runes, practically none so why learn it. But in the case of Arabic, Persian and to a lesser extent Turkish, you are talking about literally millions of books that in total contain the mass memory of the people. Who is going to translate all that work. While this will not be a problem in the first two generations, after three generations non except a few will be able to decipher the old heritage and it will go to obscurity and forgetfullness and you will have a generation that simply has no connection to its roots.

Al-Jassas
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 08:45
Originally posted by Feanor

Abdullah means 'the slave of god' in Arabic. And Christopher is 'the English version of a Europe-wide name derived from the Ancient Greek Χριστόφορος (Christphοros)' according to Wikipedia.

Well, doesn't that prove the following statement false?

There is no such thing [as religious names].

-Akolouthos 
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 20:51
then by which authority have you decided if this work is important or not

The same authority you seem to possess when you are criticizing a social reform which you probably know very little about. Al Jassas, you may, of course, say what you think, but if you want to have some credibility, you have to provide some evidence. Say, which Ottoman artist, whose works were really popular from his lifetime till the fall of the empire, lost his status after Republic of Turkey decided to switch its script to Latin and purified Turkish language from foreign influences?

Or will you claim that the common people could understand the value of some artists eventually, many years after their deaths maybe? Well, perhaps, or perhaps not. It's not right to make comments on baseless assumptions. But what happens to the artists who were born in the path which was set by Republic of Turkey? Let me guess... They were all wannabe Europeans, and unworthy of existence? You don't make any sense if you think that way.

Well, doesn't that prove the following statement false?

No, on the contrary it proves my previous statement. Abdullah, and Islam, are Arabic names, not Islamic ones as there is no Islamic names since there is no Islamic language.

The same thing goes for Christopher and Christian which were deriven from ancient Greek.

Crystall View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Crystall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 21:49
Originally posted by xi_tujue

the onlyones who can't read is the Kurds who live in small mountain villeages tbh

You only have the turkish government to blame for that... banning all kurdish language and writing all those years.. perhaps turned them off learning turkish
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 22:26
Feanor
Written by a pan-Islamist... Wow, what a great example.

He wrote your national anthem man.

Al_Jassas
Well since you claim that all "major" works were translated

I don't claim, you can read works dating back the Kashgarli Mahmud or the Gok-Turk monuments if you like.

Its not rocket science to write the same language in different scripts, as I said they are just scripts not languages.

Feanor
No, on the contrary it proves my previous statement. Abdullah, and Islam, are Arabic names, not Islamic ones as there is no Islamic names since there is no Islamic language.

So everybody called Adam in the UK and America are Arabists in disguise LOL
Albert Pine

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 05:54

The same thing goes for Christopher and Christian which were deriven from ancient Greek.

Well, it doesn't really prove your statement, unless you have some case you haven't made yet. Your statement was that there was no such thing [as religious names]." You have demonstrated that Abdullah has a religious connotation, and I assume this is the context in which it is often understood today. Christophoros means "Christ bearer." So you see, there is such a thing as religious names, and your previous statement is false. Wink

So everybody called Adam in the UK and America are Arabists in disguise LOL

You mean they're not? LOL

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 24-Nov-2007 at 05:56
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 08:25
Hello to you all

Well since its not rocket science, why don't you learn the script and tell us how easy that was. Then, go and try to find these books and try to read them.

And Feanor, my criticism of "social reform" that happened in Turkey is irrelevent, I just asked a simple question, who has the authority to rob an entire nation of its written heritage, is it unelected "intellectuals" or the nation that wasn't asked. I read very little of Turkish literature but a lot of english and Arab literature to no that the Turkish literature did not come from Mars, and that what is correct in the case of english and  Arab literature is definitely going to be correct for the Turkish literature.

Finally guys, seriously, I never said that Turkey should return to Arabic or even the original Turkish script, My question here is the change worth it. Is it going to transfer Iran or Arab countries into world powers. Is it going to increase literacy and make every one as great as Al-Jahiz or Saadi. Because remember, in two generations time not even one tenth of the heritage is going to be translated and nearly the entire population will not know the old written and tell me who is going to teach 200 million Arabs or 40 million Iranians the old text.

Al-Jassas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>