Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkey and Nazism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkey and Nazism
    Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 13:02
Originally posted by andrew

Originally posted by xi_tujue

they survived WWI didn't they.

They even managed to grab some land in the procces

The sickman of Europe :D

Are you serious?

Turkey was stripped out of all of its colonies and had the western portions of its nation partitioned off to Greece. Had it not been for the brilliance of Kemal Ataturk Turkey would be a completely different place.

The bravery of all the Soldiers who fought and died doesn't count at allWink
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 23:36
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello to you all

I have been wondering for some time how was the relationship between Turkey and Nazi Germany. during the initial days of WWI both allies and the central powers woed Turkey into the war and Germany effectively bribed their way into wining the Turks. Did Nazi Germany try to woe Turkey especially that it was the most powerful nation in the Balkans and the middle east and the only country that managed to reverse most of the injustices they got from WWI. I want to know especially the relationship between Hitler and Attaturk and if Attaturk lived would he have joined Germany?

Al-Jassas

From what I've read Turkey was not particularly 'pro-German' and certainly not 'pro-Nazi' during WWII.  While Germany was at the height of its power in Europe during the war the Turks did act to 'appease' them by selling them some critical raw materials.  However, this was restricted and eventually cut off as the tide turned against the Germans in the war.  In fact the Turks ultimately declared war on Germany.  If Germany had been much more 'victorious', I suppose it is possible that Turkey may have been tempted to the German's side to the extent of 'occupying' some territory that had been lost after WWI, however, I would tend to see their participation in that scenario more along the lines of what Bulgaria did - occupy some territory in neighbouring countries that had fallen to the Germans.  No so much being an 'active' Axis minor ally, such as Italy or Rumania.

Edited by deadkenny - 21-Nov-2007 at 23:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12