Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most sucsesfull empire in world history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: What do you think is the most sucsessfull empire in history?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.38%]
6 [12.77%]
1 [2.13%]
15 [31.91%]
6 [12.77%]
4 [8.51%]
2 [4.26%]
2 [4.26%]
6 [12.77%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.26%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Garvm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Garvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most sucsesfull empire in world history
    Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 14:55

The Roman Empire.

It was the example of what should be an empire.

Is influence is so great that, nowdays, much of we consider "modern" is a heritage of the Empire.

In truth all western civilization, and the cultures influenced by european colonial powers, have a great debt to Rome.

Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 15:04
Originally posted by kurt

The Roman Empire is over rated. Eurocentrism gets on my nerves so much.

over rated???...The roman law is used today, half of the constructions are inproved from the romans...there was no empire that could compere with the Roman...it lasted longer then any other
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 15:39

The Roman Empire could hardly be considered "Eurocentric". It was more "Mediterranean-centric".
North Africa, Egypt, and the Middle East were part of the Roman world, while Germany, Scandinavia, Ireland, and much of northern Europe were not.
Back in Roman times there was probably more integrity between Italy, Lybia, and Mauretania than between Italy and Germany.

The idea of common "European identity" or "Western civilization" is more of a concept developed in the modern age, after the renaissance.

It is true that modern western civilization is partly inspired by Greco-Roman tradition, just as modern Middle Eastern civilization is to a much lesser extent.
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 20:42
Roman Empire was the biggest and lasted the longest.

Also, and more importantly, because the Roman Empire was so big, it influenced a lot of different nations, and characteristics of the Romans still existed after its collapse.

Edited by Crusader3943 - 12-Nov-2007 at 20:43
Crusader3943
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 20:50
The mongol empire at one time was quite a bit bigger, and rome in its state as perhaps the most powerful nation of its' time lasted roughly five hundred years-perhaps less.

Rome was extremely successful-but it was not the biggest and quite possible did not last the longest.

It was, however, one of the few who depended to a huge degree on organization and political savvy, rather than military might or crude control.

Edited by TheARRGH - 12-Nov-2007 at 22:47
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Deano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 22:03
Hes right.The Great Monau empire of indonesia lasted about from about 1000ad to 1807.
I AM FARTAKUS!
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 12:48
yeah If you want to get technical, the Roman empire actually lasted over 2,000 years (from the founding to the fall of Byzantium)
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 13:37
Originally posted by calvo

The Roman Empire could hardly be considered "Eurocentric". It was more "Mediterranean-centric".
North Africa, Egypt, and the Middle East were part of the Roman world, while Germany, Scandinavia, Ireland, and much of northern Europe were not.
Back in Roman times there was probably more integrity between Italy, Lybia, and Mauretania than between Italy and Germany.

The idea of common "European identity" or "Western civilization" is more of a concept developed in the modern age, after the renaissance.

It is true that modern western civilization is partly inspired by Greco-Roman tradition, just as modern Middle Eastern civilization is to a much lesser extent.

Good point. The Near East, North Africa and Europe all share the same Roman heritage. Rome was the world at its peak. 

bilal_ali_2000 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 16:58
    The world's most successful empire as well as nation as well as being the world's first empire is the ancient Pakistani empire of Indus.

Along with the civilizations of Egypt and Sumer it was the world's oldest civilization, and at 2.5 million square kilometer it dwarfed the contemporary civilizations of Egypt and Sumer by several times. All along this vast area the same wieghts were in use, as well as a standard script as well as standardized bricks. What's more unlike other civilizations this empire seemed to had little civil wars as not even a single burn layer has yet been excavated so far.  The empire seemed to have been run along democratic lines with no signs of any single figure wielding absolute power. And the end of it saw an out flux of  people who founded the empire of the Hittites and Mittani. And its legacy can be gaged from the fact  that since that time the regions which formed this empire have been the most wealthiest regions in the world until the occupation of British. In 300 B.C when Perisa occupied the indus region the tribute which this region generated was larger than the tribute of all the other regions combined and Persia ruled all of the known world then sans Greece and China.   
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 17:04
Having said that Rome at its peak was certainly among one of the world's top three empires of all time. People say that Greece was the cradle of Western Civilization however it was really Rome which brought any prosperity to western Europe which before that time along with most of Africa was one of the wold's most underdeveloped regions. And really was it was Rome whose reign ended the ancient period and to pave way for the modern times. And a large part of what constitutes modern life had its beginning in Rome.         
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 17:16
Originally posted by bilal_ali_2000

along with most of Africa was one of the wold's most underdeveloped regions.

Eagypt, Numidia and Chartage underdeveloped???...
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 17:35
Originally posted by Illirac

Originally posted by bilal_ali_2000

along with most of Africa was one of the wold's most underdeveloped regions.

Eagypt, Numidia and Chartage underdeveloped???...

I bet he meant SS Africa, that at that time was a level of development similar to North and North-East Europe.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 02:23
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

yeah If you want to get technical, the Roman empire actually lasted over 2,000 years (from the founding to the fall of Byzantium)

certainly, but rome as we know it-the only true superpower, incredibly successful and in control-was far shorter. Egypt lasted for an incredibly long time too, but under different systems and with different rulers. Rome was in a similar boat-byzantium and so forth were certainly descendents of the roman empire of earlier days, but they were distinct enough that I don't really consider them part of the all-encompassing "rome," but rather almost as new states.

The ptolemaic dynasty in egypt was "egyptian" (greek, ethnically, but more or less egyptian leaders), but when we think of "egypt" we think of the pharoahs and so forth, before it was just a province of someone else.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 02:45
Originally posted by bilal

And its legacy can be gaged from the fact  that since that time the regions which formed this empire have been the most wealthiest regions in the world until the occupation of British. In 300 B.C when Perisa occupied the indus region the tribute which this region generated was larger than the tribute of all the other regions combined and Persia ruled all of the known world then sans Greece and China.  

What is your source for this? According to Herodotus the total tribute levied by the Achaemenids amounted to 14,560 silver talents - excluding non monetary tribute such as eunuch boys and exotic animals. Out of this, he calculates the Indian tribute to amount to 4,680 talents after converting the value of the gold dust they paid in tribute. It is by far the largest of all the tributes, but it doesn't even come close to being more than all the others combined.
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 14:12
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by bilal

And its legacy can be gaged from the fact  that since that time the regions which formed this empire have been the most wealthiest regions in the world until the occupation of British. In 300 B.C when Perisa occupied the indus region the tribute which this region generated was larger than the tribute of all the other regions combined and Persia ruled all of the known world then sans Greece and China.  

What is your source for this? According to Herodotus the total tribute levied by the Achaemenids amounted to 14,560 silver talents - excluding non monetary tribute such as eunuch boys and exotic animals. Out of this, he calculates the Indian tribute to amount to 4,680 talents after converting the value of the gold dust they paid in tribute. It is by far the largest of all the tributes, but it doesn't even come close to being more than all the others combined.

I have heard this piece of information from many sources chronicling about the Achaemnid times but to give a precise source i will have to do a bit of searching. However just take my word for it that i have heard about this from many sources. And i was under the impression that Herodotus also said that the tribute of this region was more than all the other combined. I remember  reading somewhere that herodotus said
"India was rich richer, in fact than all the provinces combined".
However to give a precise source i will have to do some research

Edited by bilal_ali_2000 - 14-Nov-2007 at 14:19
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 14:20
Herodotus does say India was certainly the richest of all the Achaemenid provinces, and those figures he provides show that out of the 20 tributary provinces that India was easily the wealthiest. He also refers to it as the most populous. Though he does not claim it was wealthier than all the other provinces combined. Specifically he says "the Indians, the most populous nation in the known world, paid the largest sum (out of the 20 provinces listed in the Achaemenid Empire)" (p 213). He then goes on to calculate the value of the tribute using the standard Babylonian silver talent as the common measure of tribute value for all provinces.

My source for this is:

Herodotus, The Histories, trans. Aubrey De Selincourt, 2003, Pengiun Classics, London. pp. 212-213. - Book III

Also you can find the book on www.gutenburg.org and it should be available to read from there.

Edited by Constantine XI - 14-Nov-2007 at 14:34
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 15:31

Herodotus does say India was certainly the richest of all the Achaemenid provinces, and those figures he provides show that out of the 20 tributary provinces that India was easily the wealthiest. He also refers to it as the most populous. Though he does not claim it was wealthier than all the other provinces combined. Specifically he says "the Indians, the most populous nation in the known world, paid the largest sum (out of the 20 provinces listed in the Achaemenid Empire)" (p 213). He then goes on to calculate the value of the tribute using the standard Babylonian silver talent as the common measure of tribute value for all provinces.

My source for this is:

Herodotus, The Histories, trans. Aubrey De Selincourt, 2003, Pengiun Classics, London. pp. 212-213. - Book III

Also you can find the book on www.gutenburg.org and it should be available to read from there.

That quote which i gave you is exactly as i remember reading it where Herodotus does says that this region was wealthier than all the provinces combined. However i don't know somebody may have been putting his words in Herodotus's mouth. I will get back to you in this one.  

Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 15:50

My source for this is:

Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 15:51
Here is the link
http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Geography/achaemenid_india.htm

Here are the excerpts 
"India was described by Herodotus as fabulously rich, richer, in fact, than all the other satrapies together in terms of annual tribute"
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 19:35

I don't think overrated is the right thing to call the Roman empire, eurocentrism may well exist, but just because the attention is so heavily focused on one part of the world does that diminish all that was accomplished in that particular region? By that particular civilisation?

The Romans accomplished alot in their own right, it isn't diminished by any over-emphasis by posterity. Other cultures and civilisations may well deserve more attention than they are currently receiving, but that doesn't mean that the impact of the Romans deserves to be under valued as a result.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>