Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most sucsesfull empire in world history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: What do you think is the most sucsessfull empire in history?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.38%]
6 [12.77%]
1 [2.13%]
15 [31.91%]
6 [12.77%]
4 [8.51%]
2 [4.26%]
2 [4.26%]
6 [12.77%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.26%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most sucsesfull empire in world history
    Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 16:56
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by Deano

Actualley the spanish empire was the first empire for the sun never to set on once they conquered the phillipines,followed by russia then britan.

That's true. The Spanish empire extended through Europe, North Africa, the Americas up to the Phillipines, and even a small post in Ecuatorial Guinea, Africa. I wonder, though if in the Portuguese dominions the sun never set either.

The Portuguese "Empire" was in itself a never-ending sunset. LOL

Edited by Frederick Roger - 03-Nov-2007 at 18:31
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 17:18
Perhaps. But amazes me how much ambition that small nation had. It is really unbelievable that a nation of only one million people controlled the lives of hundreds of millions in Asia, Africa and the Americas... How they did it? No idea.

Portugeses are still no more than 10 million people today..
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 19:20
i agree pinguin the dutch i would add to that sentiment too, for a small nation surrounded by bigger nations a minor miracle.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 21:33
In addition, the British, considering that they controlled huge tracts of africa and practically ALL of India.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 22:07
Originally posted by TheARRGH

In addition, the British, considering that they controlled huge tracts of africa and practically ALL of India.

But the British (and Spaniards too) were more than 5 million people when the Age of Discovery started. By the time they conquered India and started the colonization of Africa, they were perhaps 20 millions already....

You can't compare that with small, insignificant Portugal, that only had 1 million souls, and that was always pathetically poor LOL

Edited by pinguin - 03-Nov-2007 at 22:09
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 22:08
Originally posted by longshanks31

i agree pinguin the dutch i would add to that sentiment too, for a small nation surrounded by bigger nations a minor miracle.

The Dutch also. An amazing nation the developed the first economical miracle of modern times, after they success in such a modest business like saling salt fish!
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 05:08
I kinda like the swiss...

They've managed to have an incredibly efficient economy, a great military system-everyone can own guns and everyone is required to have some military training-and their political system is just as cool. And they're neutral and take anyone's money.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

SuN. View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote SuN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 05:26
Originally posted by pinguin

Small convex hand held mirrors made of bronze. They were pointed to the sun and focus into some dry grass, so the ceremonial fires stars. The god Inti himself (the sun) it was supposed to light the fire. Actually the principle is the same that lighting fire with a magnifying glass.

I couldn't find a picture on the web, but documentation exists in paper.

From what I understand a convex mirror will scatter the rays making them less powerful. Logicaly The sun rays scattered into a 3D plane of 180 degrees should be less powerful than the plain sun rays which are not scattered. So the chances of creating a fire by keeping the dry grass in sun are more than using convex lens.

Are you sure that you are referring to Convex mirrors ? It would more probably be concave mirrors.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 11:23
Originally posted by TheARRGH

I kinda like the swiss...

They've managed to have an incredibly efficient economy, a great military system-everyone can own guns and everyone is required to have some military training-and their political system is just as cool. And they're neutral and take anyone's money.

Me too. I admire particularly theirs role in the watchmaking industry, and how they manage to survive the invasion of the cheap Japanese movements.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 11:49
Originally posted by SuN.

From what I understand a convex mirror will scatter the rays making them less powerful. Logicaly The sun rays scattered into a 3D plane of 180 degrees should be less powerful than the plain sun rays which are not scattered. So the chances of creating a fire by keeping the dry grass in sun are more than using convex lens.

Are you sure that you are referring to Convex mirrors ? It would more probably be concave mirrors.

EmbarrassedEmbarrassed Yeap. You are right. That's why I couldn't find any pictures of them LOL. They were concave mirrors made of gold. The technical term is burning mirror. The inca used it in theirs religious ceremonies to start the fire in the festivity of the sun. Inti Raymi (as it is called) is still celebrated in Peru.

For more than I have tried, though, I couldn't get a picture on the web of those famous mirrors. The same idea that Archemides, though.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 12:05
I think the smaller pluckier nations make the most mesmorising reading at times.

The embrionic mongols in terms of the population they started with also deserve mention on that front, its like in modern times the kurds getting it together a conquering the entire middleeast and the gulf of arabia.

we cannot concieve such a thing, but the mongols did that times 5.

we also have them to thank for bringing the plague to the borders of europe, so even though they didnt invade anything but the periphery of europe the plague calling card they left wiped out 1 in 3 of the population of europe changed our continant anyway.

as for small nations ghana is worth noting too.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 12:23
Small nations? What about Easter Island that build the moais with 2.000 people?
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 13:25
I have not voted in this poll.

It all depends on how you define "successful".

It could englobe many factors: geographical extension, management, prosperity, influence, and duration.

The Mongol and Alexander the Great's Empire covered an immense geographical extension, but lasted very little and the legacy that they left behind is negligible.

The Spanish spread its language and religion to a new continent, but the overall management of the colonial resources was abismal. (we call it in Spain a Chapuza). The central government had no effective control over its overseas provinces and the economy soon decayed.

The Roman Empire had indeed survived a good many centuries (200 B.C. roughly till 1453 A.D), and had assimilated a large number of distinct peoples; yet their influence only restricted to the Mediterranean.

The British Empire was indeed economically prosperous with its legacy still visible throughout all the continents of the world. Yet it lasted in total for less than 2 centuries.

The Chinese Empire is geographically vast, yet during the last few centuries its close-door policies restricted its cultural influence over other parts of the world.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 13:58
good example pinguin, the grandiose nature of the britsh, spanish, han, roman empires is one thing but when an underdog emerges and thrives thats another entirely
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 14:02
good points calvo, this debate would never end, even debates relating to specific periods of time but then thats part of the joy
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 14:21
The most sucesfull empire?, hard to say ( calvo has stated the reasons), but probably the Roman and the British and preheps even the Saracens
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 14:38
we are all mostly head strong if there was a debate on who built the american railroads fastest and best between the irish and the chinese there would be two camps as staunch and steadfast as a lioness with her cubs.

Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 14:51
yes, but I think that the Romans did more then the English in fact of constructions and improvments...but I do not like to compere empires of different centuries
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 15:36
yes it is tricky and a conclusive answer is elusive, for the times they peaked all empires thought they were the centers of the earth, meanwhile tribesmen of the amazon woke every morning unaware of there very existance, maybe such people exist today for whom america does not bare any relevance atall.
my dream would be a united world no need for armies atall but the human race is nowhere near that advanced yet.
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 16:18
heh...I would like too a united world without wars...

Why there is no the Russian empire?, big enough to be mentioned
And the Persian empire was also great they improved the roads the post
all empire were sucesful somehow(if we look the positive sides)...all brought development(not everywhere),economy and...death

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>