Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Akhenaten, the first monotheist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Akhenaten, the first monotheist?
    Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 10:51
I am wondering,can we consider Akhenaten to be the first monotheist? It's sth i have heard off quite  a lot of times and i would like your opinion.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 12:38
Sumerians were montheists as well IIRC. I am not sure how you define monotheist, especially when you view mono-theism in our modern view, i.e that of Abrahamic Religions. OTH a more relevant thing would be how Akhenaten influeneced Abrahamic religions if at all.
Sveninarxao View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sveninarxao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 15:33
Sparten, the Sumerians were a polytheisitc religion.

I believe that Akhenaten is certainly one of the first montheistic traditions, but there is a certain religious category of gods, where although a pantheon does exist, multiple gods represent a single God as I have read in some theories on Hinduism. Fur further information, see this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_views_on_monotheism.

I am not sure though if Zoroastianism arose before Akhenaten's worship of Aten. Anyone know?
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 16:29
He was certainly one of the first and was considered quite the heretic when he turned a pantheon of Gods into the worship of just one.

There has been some suggestions however that  Mycenaean and Minoan religions may have worshipped one single female diety but in may guises

Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 16:32
Strictly speaking many religions were monotheist and the various go.ds were merely attributes.
WolfHound View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote WolfHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2007 at 04:59
Hmm I just started a thread about this should have used search. Is it possible to merge this thread and my thread? I find this topic very interesting Even if Atenism was not the first monotheistic religion, I still think it helped influence Western Religions.

Edit Also it seems that Atenism was around formed around 1353BC while Zoroastrianism was still developing, and came into history around mid-5th century BC. This is according to Wikipedia so I have no idea how accurate it really is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrian

Edited by WolfHound - 23-Dec-2007 at 05:07
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2007 at 12:47

The thing about early religions was many gods but only the one heaven. In one way the place of paradise became more important than the gods themselves. Even in Roman times a common understanding was of the cosmos consisting of seven heavens. The higher you were on earth the higher up you got in this celestial order when you expired. The one communal heaven to which all could aspire had its roots in late Greek philosophical teachings and became the key feature of the Christian religion.

The idea of Heaven and Hell actually started in Persia under Zoroaster and proved to be an all time winner in the continuing religious battle for hearts and minds. "If God don't getcha then the devil must" has been a cry that has warned people about the error of their ways ever since. In Zoroaster's earliest version of Hell a person could redeem themselves and eventually go to heaven after suffering punishment by the Lord of Evil and his evil demons, much like the modern day version of purgatory.

Akhenaten is considered to be the first monotheist, simply because we have full records about him and his vain attempts to reform the Egyptian priest ridden way of life. Monotheism had been used before but never on a national scale and most of the records of those that tried it as a social experiment to control public morals are lost in time.

Originally posted by QueenCleopatra

There has been some suggestions however that  Mycenaean and Minoan religions may have worshipped one single female diety but in may guises.

Many early religions did revere the Great Mother, but to say the Mother of Life was a deity is going counter the higher and more sublime understanding of a mother force as the basis for existance. For instance modern science tells about the birth of the universe. It is inconceivable and somewhat silly to even try to talk about a male god giving birth. The Mother took many names as part of her overall persona as the principal cause of all life. The closest we could come to their personal understanding is to say Mother Nature and that includes the many forces and powers of nature no matter if we consider them as good or bad.

elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply