Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

American troops in Germany

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American troops in Germany
    Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 22:08
I understand that Americans needed to station their troops in Germany in Cold War... but why do they still stationed now?

Join us.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 03:46
I have wondered the same thing.  I would imagine because it gives us a base of operations in the heart of europe.  I find it unlikely we will voluntarily withdraw from advantageous bases like the one(s) in germany.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 05:23
Originally posted by Justinian

I have wondered the same thing.  I would imagine because it gives us a base of operations in the heart of europe.  I find it unlikely we will voluntarily withdraw from advantageous bases like the one(s) in germany.

I agree, those bases are definately there to stay.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 06:14
A good jumping off station for the mid East and elsewhere. The troops have dropped, from 300,000 to something like 50,000.

Finally they are the ultimate security gurantee Europe has. The one thing that will prevent any future European war.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 12:26
The bases in Germany, Japan, Phillipines, Korea, et. al. are part of the dream of glory of the United States. Theirs foreign bases are the physical evidence of theirs imperial power. They mark pressence in theirs host countries and mark them as dominated people: vasails of the U.S. empire.

They will remain there while the United States could afford to waste its money in pride. They will be stopped when the United States start to decline economically. Something like that is happening today, but still the U.S. economy is far from reaching bottom.

Edited by pinguin - 21-Oct-2007 at 12:28
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 14:54
Originally posted by pinguin

The bases in Germany, Japan, Phillipines, Korea, et. al. are part of the dream of glory of the United States. Theirs foreign bases are the physical evidence of theirs imperial power. They mark pressence in theirs host countries and mark them as dominated people: vasails of the U.S. empire.

They will remain there while the United States could afford to waste its money in pride. They will be stopped when the United States start to decline economically. Something like that is happening today, but still the U.S. economy is far from reaching bottom.

Couldn't have anything to do with the aftermath of WW2 though could it.  After defeating a real imperial power such as Japan, occupation troops were the norm. 
The bases left in Germany are, for the most part, NATO assigned rapid reaction forces.  The bases are run by the International Forces,  old term, MLF.  The bases are staffed by mostly Finnish and Norwegian military[ Well known for their Imperialist leanings] [as well as having the best looking female MP's I've ever seen]     and are gradually being either phased out or turned over to the German Defense Forces.  Abruptly closing all of them at once would have a disastrous effect on the German economy.
At the peak of the Cold War there were over a million US and Canadian [another drooling, greedy Imperialist power] forces stationed there.
But, if you were alive then, you were living in Spain, under the only Fascist regime to survive the War.  Bet you miss those nifty uniforms with the tassles on the hats.

YANQUI GO HOME!!!
  CASTRO SI!!  NIXON NO!!

Just thought I'd leave you with something to get all misty and nostalgic about.  This-post-of-yours-made-no-sense-at-all,-and-I-think-you-are-an-idiot,-but-I-am-so-not-going-to-drop-down-to-your-level-and-admit-it-to-your-face

Edited by red clay - 21-Oct-2007 at 14:57
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 16:44
Personally I think it would be more advantageous for US interests to steadily scale back our forces in Germany and reposition them in Turkey and if that's not an option given current events, Then Italy. The reason I advocate this is because US forces would then be positioned closer to the action should things go down in the Middle East and a US presence is required(excluding the one in Iraq at the moment). Also we could redeploy some of these forces to Asia to possibly counter threats there(possibly China).

Well anyways it could be best just to keep those forces in Germany but we will have to judge by future events whether those are really needed there or not.   
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 01:15
Originally posted by Kevin

Personally I think it would be more advantageous for US interests to steadily scale back our forces in Germany and reposition them in Turkey and if that's not an option given current events, Then Italy. The reason I advocate this is because US forces would then be positioned closer to the action should things go down in the Middle East and a US presence is required(excluding the one in Iraq at the moment). Also we could redeploy some of these forces to Asia to possibly counter threats there(possibly China).

Well anyways it could be best just to keep those forces in Germany but we will have to judge by future events whether those are really needed there or not.   

Turkey is a NATO country, so technically it's possible, same with Italy.  However, as I understand it, the forces stationed in Germany cover an operational zone that ends with Turkey.  Another force, possibly one from SEATO, would cover from there.  Moving forces to Turkey wouldn't be as efficient, tactically or strategically.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 07:04

Boy! Imagine moving the rest of the troops out of the rest of the German bases? Think we are hated now by german civillians. Give it a decade and they will be screaming for our blood for making them more poorer than they otherwise could be!

Personally, if i thought it wouldn't hurt their economy, i would say... pull them out!

snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 09:22

Well, my guess is the Yugoslavian conflict gave one good reason for maintaining European presence.

And how Russia will turn out is still open to question.  Even though Poland and the 3 Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have joined NATO too, I don't think anyone is keen for the bases to be moved eastwards.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 20:20
when Poland joined the NATO there was a huge outcry about Poland inviting the US troops to be stationed in Poland, because it would have meant a significant economic blow to the regions in germany where the US had and partially still have their bases.

as far as i remember, there were never troubles with the US troops in Germany other than the Ramstein incident. but never anything comparable to the anti-US troops rally in South Korea for example. well, immediately after ww2, US troops (like any other of the occupation powers for that matter) weren't exactly popular but that changed over time.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 02:03
Now, it is amazing that an American superpower, a young country still in the process of defining itself, controls Europe and part of East Asia as it wishes....

That's the revenge of Moctezuma, I guess LOLLOL

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 14:32
Originally posted by pinguin

The bases in Germany, Japan, Phillipines, Korea, et. al. are part of the dream of glory of the United States. Theirs foreign bases are the physical evidence of theirs imperial power. They mark pressence in theirs host countries and mark them as dominated people: vasails of the U.S. empire....

You're claiming that Germany, Japan, Philippines and (South) Korea are 'vassals' of the US?  For 'vassals' they sure don't seem very obedient, especially on things like votes in the UN. Wink

The fact is that many of the remaining bases are a 'left over' from the Cold War era.  However, it's often easier to maintain an existing base than to move into one where's there's no presence.  So, many of those bases are simply maintained as a contingency.  Some are a 'convenience', for example for operations in Europe or 'staging' to the Middle East.  In spite of the tensions with N. Korea, the US maintains a relatively small presence in S. Korea.  The American forces total only about 34,000, which are dwarfed by the 'millions' on each side for the Koreans themselves.  In spite of the public 'rhetoric', the fact is that in some places (e.g. Philippines) the US bases have a significant positive economic impact that the locals themselves are loath to give up. 

Frankly, your comment sounds like some left over Cold War rhetoric.  It is honestly pretty ridiculous to try to pretend that US overseas bases are some sort of 'imperial' presence which is against the wishes of the local governments.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 14:57
It's an interesting side issue that a little while ago when the US started drawing down forces in Germany as part of the 'peace dividend', quite a few US soldiers decided to retire or buy themselves out[1] and stay in Germany rather than go back.

Anything that exposes Americans to the reality of life in other countries, rather than the fiction, has to have its good aspects.

[1] Or whatever the equivalent procedure is in the US.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 18:59
I'm not entirely sure why there are still American troops in Germany, but their reasons are probably similar to the British presence. Tens of thousands of people make up the British Forces Germany that includes personnel and their families/dependants. Extracting them would severely hurt the local economy and take away the best tank training facilities available to the British army at this time, also it would allow rapid response being placed so close to the heart of Europe.

The German economy benefits from the presence of the BFG, the local populace benefits and the British army benefits, there's no real reason to withdraw them. I assume the American presence in Germany is the same, it is strategically important and is integrated so deeply that to remove them would cause more harm than good.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 19:44
Those bases are there. They have the necesarry logistic and support infrastructure and the bases are used as staging areas from elsewhere. Germany especially has excellent roads and bridges which can be employed for support. The US air bases in Germany are for example used to evacuate casualties back to the states. And as a fueling stop for Iraq.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 14:45
Originally posted by gcle2003

It's an interesting side issue that a little while ago when the US started drawing down forces in Germany as part of the 'peace dividend', quite a few US soldiers decided to retire or buy themselves out[1] and stay in Germany rather than go back.

Anything that exposes Americans to the reality of life in other countries, rather than the fiction, has to have its good aspects.

[1] Or whatever the equivalent procedure is in the US.

My relatives in the military have always had alot of praise for the countries they were stationed in, with perhaps the rare exception for the DMZ along the South/North Korean border. So your comment doesn't really come across to me as so much as a shock, but more like a hint of reality, that some US military retirees do have their preferences in where they finally decide too choose where they want to settle. Whether it's a private choice or carrying on in working for the government in the civillian sector in a respective country. I've never thought of it as much of a big deal, but more of a benefit between the respective country and mine!

Post Reply Post Reply