Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'How War Came'...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'How War Came'...
    Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 22:28

..Hello everyone..

..I hope the following will be of some relevance to any interested forum members.

..Anybody wishing to investigate in detail the political and social mechanisms that brought Europe to war in 1939 could probably not do much better than spend a great deal of well-spent time reading How War Came by Donald Cameron Watt(first published in Great Britain in 1989 by William Heinemann, new edition publish by Pimlico, 2001, London)

Watts professional background is masterly and experienced. In 1947, he served with the British Army in Austria and participated in the final stages of de-Nazification. In 1951, the author was a part of the Anglo-French and American historian team that edited the captured German diplomatic archives in preparation for their publicationIn 1960-61, Watt held a Rockefeller Research Fellowship working on the United States public and private archives.From 1981 to 1993, he was Professor of International History at the University of London.suffice to say, the authors archive experience and skills are second to none..

.this book is a masterly and extensive study of the policies brought into play by the then European powers and a comprehensive narrative and analysis of  how Great Britain finally declared war on Germany over the issue of Polish sovereigntyWatt provides a full background picture leading on from the end of the First World War, but the book really enters into its own when the author begins detailing Adolf Hitlers entry into German politics and his plans for future warthe reader is practically given a full almost day-by-day account of the years 1938 and 1939 and right up to infamous broadcast that signalled Britains declaration of war on Nazi-Germany

..this is certainly no book that panders to the simplicity of appeasement was bad, and Britain acted out of self-interest argument that many still seem to followbelieve me, there really was much, much more to what actually happen than that.in fine detail, Watt unravels all the leading characters that played a role, and ties in their influence over all the other parties in the negotiations and diplomatic manoeuvrings that characterised the build-up to warmost, arguably, would still place Britain at the forefront of the period as the supreme puppet master, tugging and wrenching all of Europes strings in an effort to bring everyone in line with British desires and interests....however, Watt provides far-reaching information that clearly and credibly shows how all other nations were involved.. a reader might be surprised for instance how much influence France and Italy really had on the outcome, or more controversially, how much those countries that eventually felt the wrath of the Nazi forces, in part, contributed to their own downfallFinland, Sweden, Hungary, Norway, Holland, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, Belgium, Greece, Yugoslavia, Japan, Czechoslovakia, the United States, even the Vatican all have a role in the story alongside the more familiar protagonists in Great Britain, Germany the Soviet Union and Polandthis really is no simple tome, the detail is fascinating and the reader will find themselves completely re-evaluating the period in question, constantly finding snippets of intriguing information on virtually every page, I did not know that is one phrase that I mumbled repeatedly throughout the bookit is difficult to summarise the book as it would probably take another one or two more readings for everything to provide a totally coherent picture in this readers mind!!!..

....prior to reading this book all the way through, I had thought that I knew a little about the political background and policies leading up to British declaration of war against Germany in 1939, however, having completed How War Came, I now realise that in practical terms, I knew next to nothing about how the then European powers planned, plotted, intrigued, conspired and to either avert, or bring about, the onset of World War II.

..ultimately, How War Came is a damn fine book, well-balanced and written in an authoritative manner and superbly referenced throughout, not to mention a bibliography that will have you researching the subject still further for a very long timeif you are all interested in how war came, then, please, give this book the time and patience it deserves

..all the best

..AoO

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 16-Oct-2007 at 08:32
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 05:31
Hmm; after that review/recommendation, and because of who made it, I'll have to add it to my seemingly endless wishlist on amazon.  Sounds like an excellent read, an a very fruitful one at that.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 08:39
Originally posted by Justinian

my seemingly endless wishlist on amazon. 

..ha ha...you have one of those too!!!..LOL...

..the book i mentioned was originally recommended, and finally lent to me to me by my old Professor of Modern History and an expert in the field of British Foreign Policy...it took me some time to get round to reading all the way through, time contraints at university meant that i only really dipped into it as and when required...but having now had the time to read all the book from cover to cover, i found it to be even more revealing, fascinating and insightful in its observations...

..glad to have been some help...hope that 'wish-list' gets shorter in time!!!

..AoO...
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 11:07

Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

the reader is practically given a full almost day-by-day account of the years 1938 and 1939 and right up to infamous broadcast that signalled Britains declaration of war on Nazi-Germany

Infamous? Celebrated, famous, yes, but INfamous?

Boasting again, but I remember hearing that broadcast: I was six and we were all listening on the wireless in the chalet where we were on a family holiday.

But everyone reassured me - and themselves - it would 'all be over by Christmas'. Unhappy  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1999/08/99/world_war_ii/430152.stm

Sounds like a good book though.

Edited by gcle2003 - 16-Oct-2007 at 11:14
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 12:13
Originally posted by gcle2003

the reader is practically given a full almost day-by-day account of the years 1938 and 1939 and right up to infamous broadcast that signalled Britains declaration of war on Nazi-Germany

Infamous? Celebrated, famous, yes, but INfamous?

..you are quite correct sir, i meant 'famous', it was an oversight on my part and not in the correct context...Embarrassed....

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 06:54

..glad to have been some help...hope that 'wish-list' gets shorter in time!!!
As do I, just need to win the lottery.PrayingWink
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply