Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Armenians, descendants of Sakson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armenians, descendants of Sakson
    Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 21:42
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

He is talking about another Tigranes who was contemporary with Cyrus the Great.

That makes more sense, 8 kings in a span of 60-70 years. But still, you should take what Khorenatsi says with a grain of salt, especially about the kings and successors of proto-Armenian states prior to Urartu. I'd say there is some truth in it but as most sources it should never be taken literally.

Note that I am not denying there could have been a Scythian ruling over Armenia. This is not unusual considering nearby states and peoples have always had a tendency to try to conquer the Armenian Highland, especially when you take into consideration the Scythian invasions in the late 7th century B.C. which coincide with Parura's supposed ascension to the throne. The points I disagree on is whether this Scythian is the first king of Armenia, and whether Armenians are descended from him. I think both points are very hard to prove.

Skayordi is an Armenian epithet which means "Saka son" or "son of the Scythian"

In Armenian, while Skayordi can mean "son of Scythian" (Ska= Saka/Scythian, while  Ordi, or in modern Armenian vorti=descendant), it can also mean "son of big" or "big son of", if we assume that Ska is an old term for the modern Armenian word Hska, which means "large" or "enormous". I could be way off since I do not speak proto-Armenian, but its something I noticed when compared to our modern language.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 23-Oct-2007 at 21:42
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 21:46
how is saxon related to scythian? scythian is a greek word anyways, we know they called themselves sakas. sax and scalpel for that reason cannot be related, even if we play around with words. sax is not scy same as sex is not ski... Tongue
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 08:04

Saxon Secg and Swedish Sax have the same origin of Saxon, Scythian, Scot, Scandinavian, ...

There are many other similar words:

Scalpel: a knife with a small sharp blade, as used by a surgeon
Skean: a dagger formerly used in Ireland and Scotland
Scorp: a drawknife with a circular blade and a single handle
Scabbard: a sheath for the blade of a sword or dagger.

Why not include sex, ship, sea, star and every other word that happen to start with an s? Cyrus, etymology and especially history do not work like this.

Just to clarify, secg means sword, while seax referes to a single-edged sword (or a knife). The corresponding old norse and modern Swedish is svr/svrd.

Temujin,  I do agree about the origin of the word Saxon vs seax.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 24-Oct-2007 at 09:59
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 14:22
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Why not include sex, ship, sea, star and every other word that happen to start with an s? Cyrus, etymology and especially history do not work like this.

Thor Heyerdahl would probably agree with him though. LOL
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 14:46
The term "Saxon" does not even occur until the 2nd century AD.  Prior to this, none of the Roman authors knew of "Saxons".  They knew of the names of tribes which inhabited the region of the later Saxons.  The conventional explanation is that by the middle of the 2nd century, those tribes described by the earlier authors united to form the Saxons, much in the same way that later tribes united to form such tribal confederations as the Alemanni and the Franks.  Nothing suggests that some Scythian group migrated deep into Germania by the 2nd century AD (way after the heydey of the Scythians) and became the Saxons.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 18:04

how is saxon related to scythian? scythian is a greek word anyways, we know they called themselves sakas.

You answered your question, Saka son & Saka.

sax and scalpel for that reason cannot be related, even if we play around with words. sax is not scy same as sex is not ski...

Do you mean "Saka" also doesn't relate to "Scythian"? Isn't it strange for you that the Persian word for "Scalpel" is "Sakalpad"?

It was not too difficult to understand at least those words start with "sc" not just "s", there could be no relation between those words but what about these verbs:

Scyth: cut with a scythe
Score: cut a mark or notch on (a surface)
Scotch: cut the skin or surface of.
Scarify: cut debris from (a lawn).
Scarp: cut so as to form a scarp.
Scratch: cut with a sharp or pointed object
Scrub, Scart, Scathe, Scrape, Scab, Scar, ....

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 18:23
Originally posted by Sharrukin

The term "Saxon" does not even occur until the 2nd century AD.  Prior to this, none of the Roman authors knew of "Saxons".  They knew of the names of tribes which inhabited the region of the later Saxons.  The conventional explanation is that by the middle of the 2nd century, those tribes described by the earlier authors united to form the Saxons, much in the same way that later tribes united to form such tribal confederations as the Alemanni and the Franks.  Nothing suggests that some Scythian group migrated deep into Germania by the 2nd century AD (way after the heydey of the Scythians) and became the Saxons.

Good point, also, since i see that there are a number of mods currently posting here, i suggest that one of you change the name of this thread.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 18:38
The name of the thread is clearly wrong.

Since even if Armenians consider themselves the descendants of Sakas they do not consider themselves the descendants of Saxons.

Another (fantastic IMO theory) says that Saxons are also descendants of Sakas.

Thus, utmost Saxons and Armenians can descend from the common ancestosts but Armenians do not decent from Saxons (this is the conclusion based on the theory presented here).

However, I don't believe in the Saka ancestry of Saxons at all. There is no any evidence for that what so ever.

I suspect, some Medieval chronicles linked Saxons to Skythians, but this is just a common technique of Medieval chronists to link the contemporary people to some famous ancient people or tribes.

Under the same princilple, for example, ancient Russians also were frequently called Skythians by Byzaninne chronists
Σαυρομάτης
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 20:16
I changed the title, were your problems solved?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 12:29

Sharrukin, would you please tell me you idea about it:

http://www.fullbooks.com/The-Anglo-Saxon-Chronicle1.html

The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle

Originally compiled on the orders of King Alfred the Great, approximately A.D. 890, and subsequently maintained and added to by generations of anonymous scribes until the middle of the 12th Century. The original language is Anglo-Saxon (Old English), but later entries are essentially Middle English in tone.

Translation by Rev. James Ingram (London, 1823), with additional
readings from the translation of Dr. J.A. Giles (London, 1847).

The island Britain (1) is 800 miles long, and 200 miles broad. And there are in the island five nations; English, Welsh (or British) (2), Scottish, Pictish, and Latin. The first inhabitants were the Britons, who came from Armenia (3), and first peopled Britain southward. Then happened it, that the Picts came south from Scythia, with long ships, not many; and, landing first in the northern part of Ireland. ...

Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 18:55
Languages develop organically over long periods of time. To suggest that fairly modern terms like scalpel have anything to do with short-bladed Dark Age Saxon war-knives means absolutely nothing.

Also, Comparing Picts and Britons to Armenians and whatnot is a phallacy. That's the same as the Scots claiming they are descended from the ancient Hebrews, or Tamerlane claiming he's descended from Ali. It's just a convention that the ancients adopted; name yourself after some glorious tribe of the past to actively take place in their past glories. It was absolute rubbish, but generally accepted at the time.

Also, quoting long dead historians generally has little validity. Modern historians generally disprove any theory older than 20 years. That would be like quoting Tacitus or Herodotus as real history, in order to trace the developments of historical populations in the contemporary world. Their theories are old and way outdated. Get over it.

The voice of reason (and skepticism),
BJC
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 20:04
I can give you million reasons that Saxons are the same Scythians (I have read several books about it) but you can deny all of them with no reason!!

What about archaeological evidences? Would you please tell me what a torc is?

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 22:18

I can give you million reasons that Saxons are the same Scythians (I have read several books about it) but you can deny all of them with no reason!!

What about archaeological evidences? Would you please tell me what a torc is?

I have similar proof the Swedes are the descendants of the Atlanteans. Just read the Atlantica. Cyrus, these origin myths are not trusted by any single serious scholar.

But if you have archaeological proof, why don't you show it.
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 03:39
A torc is jewelry common in celtic and germannic societies. However, they were not exclusive to these cultures... The kingdom of Aksum in Nubia (which sounds suspiciously like Saxon!) had an advanced torc-making jewelry, but it in no way correlates to the fact that they are connected to Anglo-Saxons. IIRC, torcs were also common in early Indian societies... not much correlation, other than proving that some of these peoples are undoubtedly Indo-European in origin (not Aksum, however), but to claim a closer relationship based on these findings is spurious scholarship. Just because people eat with forks in Denmark and America doesn't mean the Danes are ancestors of all Americans...
BJC
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 08:31

]I have similar proof the Swedes are the descendants of the Atlanteans. Just read the Atlantica.

Give some linguistic, historical (some Swedish and Atlantean sources which prove it) and archaeoligical evidences then I will certainly believe it.

As I said just search about "Turc" in the web, you wil find yourself numerous archaeological proves.

Just a sample: http://www.craftycelts.com/torcs/falcon.html

The falcon motif is common in Celtic, Saxon, and Viking artwork. It was originally a Scythian symbol, and may have been a charm against death.

The kingdom of Aksum in Nubia (which sounds suspiciously like Saxon!) had an advanced torc-making jewelry

Just say "I don't want to believe it", there is no need to tell a lie!

General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 16:58

]I have similar proof the Swedes are the descendants of the Atlanteans. Just read the Atlantica.

Give some linguistic, historical (some Swedish and Atlantean sources which prove it) and archaeoligical evidences then I will certainly believe it.

As I said just search about "Turc" in the web, you wil find yourself numerous archaeological proves.

Just a sample: http://www.craftycelts.com/torcs/falcon.html

The falcon motif is common in Celtic, Saxon, and Viking artwork. It was originally a Scythian symbol, and may have been a charm against death.

The kingdom of Aksum in Nubia (which sounds suspiciously like Saxon!) had an advanced torc-making jewelry

Just say "I don't want to believe it", there is no need to tell a lie!

Confused huh? I was drawing an Aksum/Saxon parallel sarcastically, just to make a point about the ease with which etymology and name-similarities can be misconstrued. But the simple fact of the matter was that torcs were common jewelry in pretty much all Indo-European societies. I'm sure that Scythians would have had them, as would Celts, Dorian-Greeks, Picts, Goths, Jutes, Huns, Lombards, Franks, Angles... but to trace all those groups back to a single common ancestor wouldn't make any sense. Celts are different from those other groups, Dorian-Greeks pre-date the Scythians, Picts arrived after the fall of Rome; Goths, Lombards, Franks and Angles are all Germannic people; Jutes are Scandinavians, and Huns were Central-Asian steppe people. Just because they shared similar jewelry-making customs does not imply biological/genetic relationship. Besides, all these torc-wearing peoples that I just listed span over a period of around 1,500-2,000 years. Over-time, people acquire and share one another's technologies. It happens. It's called cultural diffusion.

So, in effect, just because both Saxons and Scythians wore torcs as jewelry has no implications whatsoever as to their genetic or biological similarity. Similarly, just because "Saksun" sounds like "Saxon" does not mean they are related.
Cheers.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 17:18

Cyrus, please find one serious scholar who supports that idea.

I followed your advice and made a quick search on torcs, and this is the result: Torcs were common in several societies. The first development found in the Celtic world are many many centuries older than any mention of Scyths. Torcs in Europe were used mainly by the Celts. The most common use of torcs nowadays are by hippies. By the similar logic you could claim hippies are descendants of the Scyths.

You haven't provided any credible source that the Saxon descend from the Scyths yet. No archaeologial or linguistical either for that matter. I'm not gonna bother with the Atlantean thing - of course its fake. I took it up since it's a creation of a glorious past completely akin to the idea that the Saxons were somehow related to the Scyths.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 02-Nov-2007 at 17:19
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 14:27

But the simple fact of the matter was that torcs were common jewelry in pretty much all Indo-European societies. I'm sure that Scythians would have had them, as would Celts, Dorian-Greeks, Picts, Goths, Jutes, Huns, Lombards, Franks, Angles... but to trace all those groups back to a single common ancestor wouldn't make any sense. Celts are different from those other groups, Dorian-Greeks pre-date the Scythians, Picts arrived after the fall of Rome; Goths, Lombards, Franks and Angles are all Germannic people; Jutes are Scandinavians, and Huns were Central-Asian steppe people. Just because they shared similar jewelry-making customs does not imply biological/genetic relationship. Besides, all these torc-wearing peoples that I just listed span over a period of around 1,500-2,000 years. Over-time, people acquire and share one another's technologies. It happens. It's called cultural diffusion.

I'm sure you have not researched about "Torc" yet!!

Cyrus, please find one serious scholar who supports that idea.

Just one?!!! Do you know Prof Andrew Hadfield? please read his "Briton and Scythian"

The first development found in the Celtic world are many many centuries older than any mention of Scyths.

I hope you have a valid source for you claim, that Celtic torc should be at least 4000 years old.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 15:19

Meanwhile I don't understand why we should consider all old sources as Myths!

For example Lebor Gabala Iran (The Book of the Taking of Ireland), compiled in the 11th century, is the oldest book about history of the Irish people. The Iranian origin of Irish people has been clearly mentioned in this book.

This book very interestingly talks about the relations between languages, as it says "Goidel Glas (ancestor of the Gaels), son of Scythia (Scota) and grandson of Persia (Parsa), created the Iranian (Irish) language!"

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 07:03

Sharrukin, would you please tell me you idea about it:

http://www.fullbooks.com/The-Anglo-Saxon-Chronicle1.html

The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle

Originally compiled on the orders of King Alfred the Great, approximately A.D. 890, and subsequently maintained and added to by generations of anonymous scribes until the middle of the 12th Century. The original language is Anglo-Saxon (Old English), but later entries are essentially Middle English in tone.

Translation by Rev. James Ingram (London, 1823), with additional
readings from the translation of Dr. J.A. Giles (London, 1847).

The island Britain (1) is 800 miles long, and 200 miles broad. And there are in the island five nations; English, Welsh (or British) (2), Scottish, Pictish, and Latin. The first inhabitants were the Britons, who came from Armenia (3), and first peopled Britain southward. Then happened it, that the Picts came south from Scythia, with long ships, not many; and, landing first in the northern part of Ireland. ...

This is essentially a borrowing from one the earliest passages of the Venerable Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People, written about 160 years before.  The the passage in question, Bede has Armorica instead of Armenia as to where the Britons came from.  Armorica is modern Brittany, the northwestern corner of France. 

What is meant by "Scythia" as the original home of the Picts is not clear.  Some think it is a corruption of Scandia (i.e. Scandinavia), or perhaps some medievel scholar made a connection between the Picts and the Bastarnae of Scythia" who, like the Picts painted their bodies.  In either case, the Picts were not Germans.  If you read further on, the text of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (of which there is also some borrowing from Bede) shows that the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes came from Germany.  For the year 449, the text says:

This year Marcian and Valentinian assumed the empire,
and reigned seven winters. In their days Hengest and Horsa,
invited by Wurtgern, king of the Britons to his assistance,
landed in Britain in a place that is called Ipwinesfleet; first
of all to support the Britons, but they afterwards fought against
them. The king directed them to fight against the Picts; and
they did so; and obtained the victory wheresoever they came.
They then sent to the Angles, and desired them to send more
assistance. They described the worthlessness of the Britons, and
the richness of the land. They then sent them greater support.
Then came the men from three powers of Germany; the Old Saxons,
the Angles, and the Jutes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>