Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Academia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HaloChanter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Academia
    Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 23:38

Do we have any other Students of History out there at University (or postgrad) level?

What are you studying/researching, at what level, anything interesting, how are you finding it, what archives are you using?

Cheers!

Kind regards,

HaloChanter
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 01:16
I guess that would be me - I'm a PhD student, currently in first year, still stuck in unending coursework.  My research area is Victorian Britain - mainly social and technological stuff - trains to fashion to food to architecture.  I am going to attempt to write a dissertation on the rise of tourism in Britain during the nineteenth century (hopefully this is possible) and look forward to making several research trips to the Isles to aid me in my task.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 06:41
That's fantastic - I live in Eastbourne, which is a Victorian town on the South Coast of England.

It was built wholly by the Dukes of Cavendish in the mid-nineteenth century as a seaside resort. Along with Brighton, which is about twenty minutes away, it is considered the Victorian seaside town.

Funny enough, I have a wonderful collection of late nineteenth century photo's of Victorians enjoying themselves along the promenade and pier (in full regala complete with walking sticks and umbrellas). I think you'd find them fascinating. I'll try and post them on here for you when I get a chance.
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 03:09
Oh, please do!  I would appreciate it greatly.  I love looking at those old photographs and wondering what the world must have been like for those people.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 08:49
Hot, I imagine, with all those garments on Tongue
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 09:27
I finished my undergrad last year in Commerce/Arts - majoring in Management and History, minoring in Spanish and Macroeconomics. I was offered two scholarships to continue at post-grad level, one for History and the other in Management. Tempting though the History one was, I opted for Management (it had to be either one or the other).

Still I do like to continue the study of history as a topic, and I love doing historical work which integrates economics into what made states function. JSTOR  is an excellent source of historical info, and so is gutenburg.org if you want access to primary sources. I particularly like to focus on Byzantine, Late Roman and some of the Ancient Near Eastern civs.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 13:25
JSTOR is the undergrads bible. Helped me through some tough research at Uni. I hear it's expensive to subscribe once out of education (though for some reason I have access for another 2 years).

What Uni/Country? Economics is a nice subject to compliment history (or vice versa as it were). Sounds like a challenging combination :)

Edited by HaloChanter - 21-Oct-2007 at 13:26
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 14:01
Originally posted by HaloChanter

JSTOR is the undergrads bible. Helped me through some tough research at Uni. I hear it's expensive to subscribe once out of education (though for some reason I have access for another 2 years).

What Uni/Country? Economics is a nice subject to compliment history (or vice versa as it were). Sounds like a challenging combination :)

Monash University, Clayton Campus, Australia.

Economics is terrific to give extra perspective. It makes understanding political and military motives so much more informed. Economics is alright, it does kind of grow on you once you realise what economic theory can be used for - like in explaining historical events. But history was always the more enjoyable subject, simply because it deals with people.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 22:26
Is that everybody, then?  Just Constantine and myself?  Come on, people, out of your hiding spots.

As for me, although I'm at the University of Western Ontario, in Canada, I recently applied for admission to Oxford, as a 'why not?' attempt to see what happens.

Oh, and Halo, when you get a chance, can you post those pictures?  I'm still very interested to see them.  If you're busy, though, then don't worry about it. 
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 17:12
Oh sorry, in creating this threat I forgot to add myself!

Doing History at the University of Kent, Britain. My research is on British India, more specifically indirect rule in the native kingdoms through the Residency system.

I'll get those pictures up tommorrow universeman, have had to put in as much time at the British Library as possible before the Yanks descend on the India Office during the Christmas holiday!

Edited by HaloChanter - 03-Nov-2007 at 21:24
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 18:16
I am studying Medieval England mainly Legal History. I am in the second year of my MA. There seems to be many English Historians responding to this thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply