Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: If your army consisted of one unit, what would it be?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [11.67%]
4 [6.67%]
2 [3.33%]
6 [10.00%]
3 [5.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
29 [48.33%]
5 [8.33%]
4 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Kshtriya View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kshtriya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best unit
    Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 07:06
Choose wisely!
Men grow tired of love, sleep and food before they grow tired of war
Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 11:48
Mongol horse archers could whip them all. Mobility makes so they can outrun all the others. Might have some problems with killing the elephants, but their superior archery would slowly, but surely decimate anyone.
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 12:38
My vote for legionaires.
Gorkhali View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Gorkhali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 23:36
Elephants for sheer mass.  Even if they got killed, the enemy would have a hell of a time getting past their bodies to the back of the army (where I'd be hiding).
Ayo Gorkhali!
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 04:16
Barbarian Swordsmen?
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 12:03

Originally posted by Capt. Lubber

Mongol horse archers could whip them all. Mobility makes so they can outrun all the others. Might have some problems with killing the elephants, but their superior archery would slowly, but surely decimate anyone.

Given a proper defensive position, English longbowmen could concievably defeat the Mongols (just as Italian crossbowmen did at Stuhlwiessenburg).

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 12:07

Anyway, for my choice, I would have to go with either the Mongols or the English longbowmen.  Aside from the fact that they're not horse-archers (a huge plus for the Mongols in field engagements, obviously), the English archers have the edge in that they're extremely versatile.  Longbowmen were yeomen, and hence they were also skilled in HTH combat with bills, sword, buckler, daggers, & mauls.  In addition, some were mounted (not horse-archers, but mounted infantry), which gave them more mobility.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 16:06
Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Given a proper defensive position, English longbowmen could concievably defeat the Mongols (just as Italian crossbowmen did at Stuhlwiessenburg).

no and no. longbows can not compete with composite bows, mongosl have a way faster rate of fire and beter penetration power. and there was no skirmish at Stuhlweissenburg, the Mognol scouts withdrew after findign the swamp aroudnt eh citadell impassable.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 17:28
Originally posted by Temujin

no and no. longbows can not compete with composite bows, mongosl have a way faster rate of fire and beter penetration power. and there was no skirmish at Stuhlweissenburg, the Mognol scouts withdrew after findign the swamp aroudnt eh citadell impassable.

LOL, the "expert" Temujin has spoken again.

Dude, we've been through this stuff before.  The longbow can most certainly compete with composite bows--both were used at similar ranges for battlefield applications, both had excellent penetration, and both had similar rates of fire.  In fact, Sir John Smythe (who had experience with both types of bows, as he was an English soldier who had fought in the Balkans against the Turks) considered the longbow the superior type of bow (he wrote of this in his Certain Discourses Military of 1590).

As for Stuhlwiessenburg, James Chambers mentioned in The Devil's Horsemen that the Mongols gave up the siege because the town was "fiercely defended by a unit of Italian mercenaries", and it therefore comes as little surprise that Friar Carpini stated that the Mongols "feared" the crossbow--a weapon which those Italian mercs were particularly famous for using.

Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 17:33

the mongol soldiers had defeated many; but bulgarian armies have stopped them especially during the time of volga-bulgaria when the mongols had to get a 300 000 army from their provinces to defeat their 50 000.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 18:12

first of all, you have been discussed at the mod forum already, so don't call me "expert" or dude again or i bring the topic up again...

LOL, the "expert" Temujin has spoken again.

Dude, we've been through this stuff before.  The longbow can most certainly compete with composite bows--both were used at similar ranges for battlefield applications, both had excellent penetration, and both had similar rates of fire.  In fact, Sir John Smythe (who had experience with both types of bows, as he was an English soldier who had fought in the Balkans against the Turks) considered the longbow the superior type of bow (he wrote of this in his Certain Discourses Military of 1590).

As for Stuhlwiessenburg, James Chambers mentioned in The Devil's Horsemen that the Mongols gave up the siege because the town was "fiercely defended by a unit of Italian mercenaries", and it therefore comes as little surprise that Friar Carpini stated that the Mongols "feared" the crossbow--a weapon which those Italian mercs were particularly famous for using.

1. an englishman can hardly be cosndidered a neutral observant, btut eh Ottomans to my knoledge didn't used the technique of fireing 3 arrows in short sequence. this was onyl possible due to the eatsern thumb-draw, btu english used the meditteranean draw, therfore it is impossible they coudl fire at a similar speed.a nd you said yourself longbow archers had troubles in logictics, while mounted archers had a huge supply of arrows...

and please spare me Chambers, his book is popular science and not worthy at all...adn don't forget hwo was in fact the crossbow nation, the Chinese...

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 18:27
Originally posted by Temujin

first of all, you have been discussed at the mod forum already, so don't call me "expert" or dude again or i bring the topic up again...

What do you mean by "you have been discussed at the mod forum already"?  Are you talking about the Security/Ban forum?  What have I done that's offensive?

As for "bringing up the topic again", go right ahead--I haven't done anything wrong.  In fact, I'll be happy to post links to every thread that you've posted your trolling nonsense on.

If you want to play hardball, I'm game.

1. an englishman can hardly be cosndidered a neutral observant,

He was a veteran soldier with first-hand experience with the weapons in question, as they were used at that time--that makes his opinion worth more than yours, IMO.

btut eh Ottomans to my knoledge didn't used the technique of fireing 3 arrows in short sequence. this was onyl possible due to the eatsern thumb-draw,

The Turks also used thumb-rings.

btu english used the meditteranean draw, therfore it is impossible they coudl fire at a similar speed.a nd you said yourself longbow archers had troubles in logictics, while mounted archers had a huge supply of arrows...

So post some comparative statistics concerning the relative rates-of-fire of the longbow and composite bow, then.  Show me the money, Temujin.

As for logistics, it can be a problem for any group of archers.

and please spare me Chambers, his book is popular science and not worthy at all...adn don't forget hwo was in fact the crossbow nation, the Chinese...

Chambers' "popular science" makes use of a huge number of primary sources.

What are YOUR sources for the action at Stuhlwiessenburg?

And finally--The Chinese were a "crossbow nation", not the "crossbow nation".

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 21:56
I cast my vote for the mongol horse archers, they were just proven to be very effective against all (atleast to my knowledge) other types of military unit.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 22:08
I voted for Mongol HA as the best single-unit army, because even light cavalry without bows can defeat longbows.
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 09:04

The longbow has, at least, the same range as the composite bow used on horse (which is smaller that the composite bow used by the foot and thus, much less powerful).

Besides, the mongols woukd have a problem when dealing with English
longbowmen:

1 -  their horses are not arrow-proof;

2 - the english longbowmen, as it was said above, where yomen, i.e.,
they could use bills, swords, buckelers, etc. so, they were excellent
in HTH combat.

But I shall not vote for the longbowmen. I would vote for the mid-Empire Roman legionaires, because they were capable in dealing with every sort of weapon (at least, according to Vegetius) and with every sort of enemy, be it nomad horsemen, barbarian infantry, phalangites, elephants, bowmen, etc.

That's why Roman Empire lasted for so long.

Best

Sikander

PS - Anyway, the topic is a little bit absurd (sorry!) because what we are trying to compare is units from Antiquity and the Middle Ages. There's a lot of time between the two Ages, and the techniques differed so much... Can we really compare Mongols with Roman legionnaires? They were never putted against each other!

Another problem is that we tend to compare state building with military unit's effectiveness. The fact that Mongols defeated a lot of people and made an Empire does not mean that they were better than... Russians, for instance. The Russian were defeated by the Mongols, and these were beaten by the the Russians 200 years latter. So, who's the best?

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 10:46

"Mongol horse archers could whip them all. Mobility makes so they can outrun all the others. Might have some problems with killing the elephants, but their superior archery would slowly, but surely decimate anyone."

Spare me, they have no more mobility than any other nomadic army that depend solely on cavalry. Their organization and tactic are virtually identical to the Khitans and early Jurchens. And the Khitans has already been defeated numerous times on battle. The Mongols have suffered some great defeats against the Jin in both Da Yuan Chang and Gui De, Jin armies based on infantry and cavalry support routing Mongol armies 3-10 times their size. Kubilai did it again and routed Kaidu's army with the combination of northern infantry with cavalry.

"Given a proper defensive position, English longbowmen could concievably defeat the Mongols (just as Italian crossbowmen did at Stuhlwiessenburg)."

Anything is possible, but the Mongols have equally good chance of defeating them even in Europe. The terrain is a major factor and we have to avoid any generalization. There is nothing unique about the English long bow men, the Mongols had no problem defeating the Jin standing composite bow men, they weren't stupid enough to stand there exchanging fires. The success of the mongols is not in their bow which is nothing unique, nor to their tactical advantage which is nonexistent, but to their mobility and unexpected rapid attacks which catch the enemy off guard and a whole strategic superiority through their cavalry. Against a defensive infantry, its explicitly mentioned that they would only despatch a small unit to keep this infantry at bay while ride off with the rest to attack another city, when the infantry march to support the Mongols would return with unexpected speed and rout the infantry that is out of position, this is especially effective against a undisicplined European infantry of the 13th century which cannot charge or march in good formation. And could only maintain their position in defensive. Thus a defensive position is quite meaningless on the whole strategic scale. The mongols viewed a war as a war not a series of battles. And this isn't just the Mongols that did such. Stuhlwiessenburg is a siege, not a field battle, it amounts to little since the Mongol had limited logistics in Europe.

"And finally--The Chinese were a "crossbow nation", not the "crossbow nation"."

East Asian crossbows are more efficient in general especially during the Mongol era. It had a superior trigger mechanism design, better manufactured material, a stirrup and a belt claw device which gives it a much further range and penetration power. Even that did not give them any decicively advantage over the Mongol army. There isn't any reason to suppose the Italian of the time could do it with a good chance. Especially when they haven't even used it on the field in that siege.

Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 11:33

warhead

Capt. Lubber did not say that the Mongols had more mobility than other steppe armies.He meant that they had the mobility to defeat all the others listed above.

Edited by Jorsalfar
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 11:49

Originally posted by warhead

East Asian crossbows are more efficient in general especially during the Mongol era. It had a superior trigger mechanism design, better manufactured material, a stirrup and a belt claw device which gives it a much further range and penetration power. Even that did not give them any decicively advantage over the Mongol army. There isn't any reason to suppose the Italian of the time could do it with a good chance. Especially when they haven't even used it on the field in that siege.

Warhead,

I asked you once before what was so "superior" about the Chinese trigger mechanism, but I don't recall your answer.  As for the "stirrup and belt claw device", the European crossbows had those features too.

And I've already shown that Italian crossbowmen were successful against the Mongols at Stuhlwiessenburg.

Peace,

L_D

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 12:26

"I asked you once before what was so "superior" about the Chinese trigger mechanism, but I don't recall your answer.  "

The devices of military crossbows in Europe of the 14th to 16th centuries include a fairly plain, straight stock, a sinew bridle binding the lath to the stock, a cylindrical latch nut and a long iron trigger. It would have either a simple rest or a grooved track to guide the bolt. The Chinese lock, on the other hand, was fool proof in operation and it could not discharge itself because of water on the bearing surfaces,; its reliability was absolute. Dubs claimed the arrangement of the parts of this mechanism was almost as complicated as that of a modern rifle bolt, and could be reproduced only by very competent mechanics. Removal of the shafts allowed the the component pieces to drop out and although the mechanism was easy to reassemble, it may have taken more ingenuity than the huns possessed to reproduce the bronze casting. In another word it had a process similar to the interchangeable parts and could also be replaced when nessessary.

"As for the "stirrup and belt claw device", the European crossbows had those features too."

Only in the 14th century.

"And I've already shown that Italian crossbowmen were successful against the Mongols at Stuhlwiessenburg."

And I've already said that it was a siege not a field battle.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 12:54

Warhead,

Originally posted by warhead

"I asked you once before what was so "superior" about the Chinese trigger mechanism, but I don't recall your answer.  "

The devices of military crossbows in Europe of the 14th to 16th centuries include a fairly plain, straight stock, a sinew bridle binding the lath to the stock, a cylindrical latch nut and a long iron trigger. It would have either a simple rest or a grooved track to guide the bolt. The Chinese lock, on the other hand, was fool proof in operation and it could not discharge itself because of water on the bearing surfaces,; its reliability was absolute. Dubs claimed the arrangement of the parts of this mechanism was almost as complicated as that of a modern rifle bolt, and could be reproduced only by very competent mechanics. Removal of the shafts allowed the the component pieces to drop out and although the mechanism was easy to reassemble, it may have taken more ingenuity than the huns possessed to reproduce the bronze casting. In another word it had a process similar to the interchangeable parts and could also be replaced when nessessary.

So, it was only "superior" in that it prevented accidental discharges?  (Which is admittedly a good thing)

Can you post a pic of this thing?

"As for the "stirrup and belt claw device", the European crossbows had those features too."

Only in the 14th century.

In any case, those features aren't necessarily indicative of more powerful bows (unlike English windlasses and German cranequins, which were used to span crossbows more powerful than any Asian model, and are clearly indicative of more powerful bows).

And I've already shown that Italian crossbowmen were successful against the Mongols at Stuhlwiessenburg."

And I've already said that it was a siege not a field battle.

So what?  One does not judge the effectiveness of a given weapon or troop type based on only one type of combat, unless were are talking about specialist troops or specialized weapons.

But, if you prefer field engagements, then have the Italian crossbowmen covered by pavesari (as they were at Arsuf against Saladin), and they will still be able to defeat horse-archers.

The final analysis is that China was not the only "crossbow culture".

Peace,

L_D

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>