Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslims of Italy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslims of Italy
    Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 00:26
Hello to you all

Every one knows that Muslims ruled Sicily for over 250 years and that Normans did not deport or enslave them. So, where the hell are they, what happened to them. I read about their deportation to Lucera where they had heir own republic but what happened to them?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 00:59
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello to you all

Every one knows that Muslims ruled Sicily for over 250 years and that Normans did not deport or enslave them. So, where the hell are they, what happened to them. I read about their deportation to Lucera where they had heir own republic but what happened to them?

I don't know the details in Italy, but if the situation was similar to Spain and Portugal, the answer is quite simple. Most of them assimilated converting to Christianism.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 01:23
Hello Pinguin

I think you should read the history after the reconquesta. Muslims and Jews were tolerated all over spain until Granada was taken, then the opression started. First against the jews with the inquisition since the muslims were roughly 15% of the total population and a majority in Andalusia. Then it came to the muslims. The persecution continued until they were finally kicked (around 300 000 people) out of Spain around 1609 which deprived spain from the best artisans and merchants and the country came into ruin.

Al-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 01:37

I know that, but I also know the other side of these facts, that perhaps you are not aware of. Many people escaped persecution converting to Christianity. It has been calculated that, at least, half the non-Christian population of Spain become converted.

History is more clear for Jewish than for Muslims in this topic. In that groups it is very clear that many of the most important Spanish figures of the Spain post 1492 were of Jewish ancestry. Even the evil Torquemada was of Sephardite ancestry. It is also known that Cervantes and Fernando de Rojas had Sephardite ancestry as well, and no other than dictator Francisco Franco was of Sephardite origin as well.

The ruin of Spain didn't came from the expulsions of Jews and Muslims, I am afraid, but from the mercantilism mentality of the times. Spain become poor when money was flowing in large amount from the Americas, destroying local industries. In a time when all Europe was following the path of industrialization, Spain got rid of its industries. That was the mistake that sunk Spain and its overseas colonies into misery, and the effects are still visible today.

Finally, it is curious than in Spanish culture there are still elements of Judaism and Islam. A very clear one is the world of very common use "Ojala", which means "let's hope so", but that comes from the arab and means "I hope God whishes". You can still see "Ala" in the world "Ojala"...
In Spanish music, particularly in Flamenco and other similar styles, the arab influence is too obvious to forget.

Finally, Spain and Iberoamerica recognize they are semitic at least in part. The arab heritage in particular is very respected.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 13:15
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello to you all

The Normans who reconquered Sicily were fierce warriors but also tolerant rulers. For example the Norman Cathedral in Palermo was partially build by Arabic skilled workers.

Norman Cathedral in Palermo

It is well known that Emperor Frederick II of Hohenstaufen was an admirer of Muslim culture (he envied above all the absolute power of the muslim Sultan, not limited by the authority of a Pope Big%20smile) and his bodyguards were muslims, but in 1224, after an uprising, he expelled all Muslims from Sicily and deported them in Lucera, Apulia.

Lucera was the last stronghold of Muslims in Italy. In 1300 it was sacked by Charles II of Anjou and all his muslim inhabitants exiled or sold into slavery.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 13:23
I know about the sack and the expulsion but there were muslims left in Sicily after the expulsion which was not against all muslims who were during that time large land owners and merchants. Also, I remember that muslims existed in other cities of soutern Italy especially Calabria, which is in my opinion is the reason why tribalism and Vandettas still exist there because of their Arab heritage, do you think so Leonardo?

Al-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 16:25
I wouldn't say that vendettas and regionalism(tribalism doesn't suit) is because of the Muslim inhabitants of Sicily.

Most medieval muslims of Sicily were either North Africans, or converts. Although they lived in peace under Norman Kings, this changed under the Staufens. It was probably Henry VI, a brilliant yet ruthless tyrant, who began resettling muslim Sicilians, in exchange for religious tolerance. Many were resettled to Lucera. The muslims fought for Staufen Emperors and were quite renowned. Frederick II, was at once dubbed the Sultan of Lucera, which shows that they did play a significant role in the Kingdom of Sicily's military. After Charles Anjou defeated and executed the last Staufen, Conradin, and finally managed to claim Naples et Sicily, he forced the Muslims to convertion to Christianity.

Many Muslims already under Frederick II held Italian names such as Thomas, Andrea, Enrico etc. So they were assimilated into Italian culture, though retaining their religious faith
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 16:37
Vendettas predate the Muslim settlements in Italy. I read of one account where an aristocrat was killed by his enemy. The client-patron system prevailed in much of Italy in the Medieval era just as it did during Roman times. The dead aristocrat had a client who was a midget.

The midget, no with no master and no means of supporting himself, struck back at the enemy aristocrat during a procession one day in full public view. The midget was immediately killed. This serves as an early example of vendetta mentality in Italy, and pre-dates Muslim settlement.

Sorry I do not have a source or specific dates and names on me, it's late and I'm remembering off the top of my head.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 17:57
No risky generalizations please Smile 

"Vendetta mentality" is not at all diffused all over Italy but it is (and particularly in the past, was) peculiar of Southern Italy. It's origin is disputed but probably it dates back to the last centuries of Roman Empire.

Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 09:34

Vendetta's arent "arabic",  and it not was introduced by them as had been already stated by others. Muslims forces actually reached Northern Italy, France and the Balkans. It was the Fatimids of Egypt  who actually held Sicily.  I remember a  native  Christian Sicilian who would conquer North Africa for the Fatimid's as a mamaluk btw. His name was Jawhar as-Siqilli, he was a slave who became a general, who became  a Conqueror, great story surround that man.

It took the Muslims  100 years to Conquer Sicily alone, compared to the 8-10 years it took them to conquer Iberia. There rule lasted a little over 200 years, and it was shaky 200 years at that, as the Eastern Romans and Normans forces lead campaigns to re-take Sicily almost immediately and locals didn't take much liking to them. George Maniakes actually made a partial reconquest of Sicily,  while Basil II re-took Southern Italy from them before. Roger II was the one who succeeded in re-taking Sicily. Islamic rule was largely administrative, the locals paid the special tax so  Islamicification didn't occur , and the culture and  natives  remained largely Greco-Roman as it was for 2,000 years beforehand.

The Normans somewhat tolerated the still remaining Moslems, until they too were expelled to North Africa.

PS

The concept of Vendetta, is  shared between the Latin, Celtic and Japanese cultures, goes back thousands of years. Even in the late Middle Ages and up modern times it survived and was common, not only in Italy but also in Britain and elsewhere. Public Dueling was very popular in Europe and North America up to a couple of hundred years ago, also even as recent as the late 19th to early 20th century as well.

Edited by Tyranos - 09-Oct-2007 at 09:49
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 21:26
I heared teh word mafia comes from Arabic meaning mountain dwellers or something

wasn't the mafia 'born' during the muslim occupation of the Island?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 00:44
Hello to you all

Well Xi Tujue, I am not a linguist and do not know if it of an Arabic root but it may be related not to classical Arabic but to the dialect of North Africa.

As for Arabs in Sicily, well there was alot of bigotry against them, they  were the laughing stock of North Africa and in those days their was a saying "as fool as a sicilian", by the way Leonardo is this stereotype still exist?
They lived in large numbers, though not in a majority, in three districts, Palermo and Trapani (west of the Island), Messina and its coasts and Enna and the central highlands. The reason why Islamification did not occure is Kharaj of tithes on agricultural lands which can only be taken from non muslim land owner or lands previously held by non muslims.

Al-Jassas
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 13:46
As Tyranos has already written, Sicilians opposed a fierce resistence to muslims invaders and even after the "Reconquista" the centuries of struggle against Muslims (Arabs and Turks) contributed to form a type of character similar to the Spanish one, and after all Sicily was for centuries a Spanish colony.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 14:03
Originally posted by xi_tujue

I heared teh word mafia comes from Arabic meaning mountain dwellers or something

wasn't the mafia 'born' during the muslim occupation of the Island?

The etymology of the word "Mafia" is disputed but there is a large consensus that it derives from Arabic language. An old Italian etymological dictionary (Pianigiani) suggests that it derives either form the Arabic word "Maehfil" ("adunance") or from the Arabic word "Ma-Hias" ("swagger").

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 14:08
vendetta exist in many parts of the Mediterranean, its not unique to calabria or Sicily, though it may have evolved in its own way in those parts.  IIRC Albania has its own well developed system of vendetta/blood justice and parts of Greece (Crete and Mani in particular) also had such ways with maintaining  'honour' and justice.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 14:16
vendatta exist in most parts of the world 
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 11:39

Quite.

But it would seem it has a particular function when there is little in the form of a centralised power, when it's weak, distant etc., and society is based on extended families interacting.
One must not insult the future.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 15:33
Originally posted by Joinville

Quite.

But it would seem it has a particular function when there is little in the form of a centralised power, when it's weak, distant etc., and society is based on extended families interacting.
its also cultural. Vendetta is a crude, straight forward but arguably fair system of justice when there is no other overarching body to administer it. Like you said, when there is no central government with a court or police type body. But culturally in these societies one is obliged to act out an vendetta to preserve his or ones families honor or what it really boils down to - respect. This obligation is very strong and is important to ones honor and I would argue self perception, as well as perception of the individual by others. I also think particularly in the Mediterranean and also in the M/E,  the way you are perceived by others is a very important driver in this equation. Blood money is another way to equalize the initial crime, so it not always about killing or breaking bones.

Edited by Leonidas - 12-Oct-2007 at 15:43
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 15:59
Vendetta was common among among the Medieval world.

The Merkits went after Temujin and his Borjin clan for revenge. Temujin's father did that wife stealing thing from them.

Later, as Genghis Khan, Temujin extracted revenge against the Tatars for poisoning his father, Yesugui.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 23:04
vendetta = blood fued
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>