Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The kingdom of the Enchelians.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The kingdom of the Enchelians.
    Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 10:29
Recently a whole Phrygian temple of Cybele (mother earth) from the early bronse age was found in Bulgaria which reveals that the Phrygians did not only inhabit the south part of Thrace.
Actually the only thing it reveals is that Cybele was worshipped there. If I am not mistaken you mean the discovery of the Cybele temple in Balcik, which can be connected (I'm not sure about the dating though) with the Greek colony Dionysopolis.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 10:47
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Recently a whole Phrygian temple of Cybele (mother earth) from the early bronse age was found in Bulgaria which reveals that the Phrygians did not only inhabit the south part of Thrace.
Actually the only thing it reveals is that Cybele was worshipped there. If I am not mistaken you mean the discovery of the Cybele temple in Balcik, which can be connected (I'm not sure about the dating though) with the Greek colony Dionysopolis.

Yes that is it.
I posted about it before: http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=19926

The dating is estimated at 2000BC so, i don't know if it can be connected.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 11:29
Yes that is it.
I posted about it before: http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=19926

The dating is estimated at 2000BC so, i don't know if it can be connected.
However the same post (there's no outside source) gives a mention of "coins" and "inscriptions" - what is on them? Maybe the oldest layer is 2000 BC but the time when the temple was dedicated to Cybele is much more recent. Because all the data on Phrygians, Thracians, Greeks is much later than 2000 BC, so this date suggests a lack of connection not only with Greek colonies, but also with Phrygians and Thracians.

Edited by Chilbudios - 10-Oct-2007 at 11:30
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 11:34
Well, i got it from a newspapper as i mention on the thread. It said about a phrygian temple and phrygian artifacts. I don't know details on how this conclusion was reached since an everyday newspaper does not go in depth with archeology. Anton seemed to know more about i think through Bulgarian sources.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 11:48
http://bulgaria-property.imoti.net/real-estate/news/unique-cybele-temple-findings-exhibited-in-bulgaria-nno619.html

In the last couple of days the archaeologists working on the object found a third marble statue of the goddess - a deification of the Earth Mother. One of the most precious findings in the temple of Cybele is a 50-centimeter-high Doric column with a well-preserved inscription addressed to the Roman emperor Valerius Licinianus Licinius.

This newspaper article seems to suggest the temple of Cybele was much more recent than 2000 BC (Doric columns, Latin inscriptions, Licinius - early 4th century AD), so it really does not say anything about Phrygians. Of course, if you or anyone else can find scholarly literature with a more solid interpreation of the site's findings that would be best.

Edited by Chilbudios - 10-Oct-2007 at 11:48
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 13:42
The myth of Polyphemos seems more "mythical" and unjust then Cadmus and Harmonia's  and Laodamas one , because we have more texts pointing out to the Cadmeians and their flight to the Encheleans..

Polyphemos and his offspring seem to justify the origin of the Illyrian clans like the Autaritae and Scordisci etc...i am not saying one myth rules out the other but the most probable one is the myth of the Cadmeians and Encheleans as a basis for the Enchelean kingdom and royal "Cadmeian"line.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 15:56
But you have used the myth of Illyrios as son of Polyphemos to extract the information that Encheleos was the son of Illyrios, while ignoring the rest of the genealogy (with Autarieos being a brother of Encheleos). So basically you combined two myths choosing the convenient information for your theory but ignoring the inconvenient one.
I don't see the external information to confirm such a choice, thus for me it looks an arbitrary one.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 17:10
In  my first post i placed and compared all the myths about the Encheleans together, since not much is known about them and very few texts exist about them, hence the clashing of several myths and theories.

According to Polyphemus's myth the Encheleans did not exist yet at the time of C&H and at the birth of their son Illyrius, this contradicts with the other myths and sound unlogical since it is the Encheleans where C&H fled to ,and especially the myth of Laodamas the Theban as the offspring of C&H who also went to the Encheleans for help.
Инна View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Инна Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2016 at 10:39
I'm a Serb who also consider that we r Illyrinas mixed with Halstat peoples who were blond. Archaeology proves that that occurred about 4500 b.c., namely Starcevo culture (right after Lepenski Vir), before great Vinca. But Berlin congress created Albanan nation in order to f**k us up, as we can now see. I was in Albania during the summer, and I was stunned, really. No one would like to live in the land of Gega, no one, not even Gega. Our previous historiography knew that Arbanas settled by permition of Radomir who let the guard the sheeps, I think (remember Radamantes), they were brought from Sicily, look at the Neapolitan how they resemble, they were brought as merceneries during the uprising in Constantinople by the general Georgius Maniacus and ofcourse. I traced origins of Albanians in Dagestan.
Question one: where was Skenderbeg's father and brother berried? In Hilandar on Athos.
Two: why all Romei, Byzantine, emperors called Serbian kings Tribali?

Ur questions and analysis  r very good, but let really discover the truth. Do u realize that Albanians just took over our folk myths, im stunned. The sepant king etc. I will try to find it transklated, but serch for Vuk Karadzic.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2016 at 12:16
You do realize this thread is 9 years old.  And please refrain from using texting shorthand.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12