Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

United Nations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Are you for or against the UN?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [48.28%]
11 [37.93%]
4 [13.79%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: United Nations
    Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 20:01
Are you for or against the UN? What are you views on the UN as it is currently?

Also, what would happen if the US pulled out of the UN? What would be consequences for the US, the UN, and other countries?
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 20:06
Personally, I'm against the UN. I want it to be dismantled, or at least have the US pull out of it. Its a useless and corrupt organization.

Now, I've that the UN is kept weak intentionally by the US and others, and I believe it, but I would never want a strong UN, as that would erode sovereignty of nations, and be a step towards a one world government, which I am adamently against.
     Edward Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 20:12
Better the U.N. than none.

The U.S. simply can't replace the role the United States do. NATO and EU are just local organizations that have not the reach of a UN-

Otherwise, without the UN, It would be only the empire of the force and money.

Sovereign nations are the causes of wars. They has to be controlled, particularly when low I.Q. people get in power.

With respect to corruption in the UN, what do you spect? Tell me one single developed country that doesn't have any corruption scandal at all.

Pinguin

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 20:13
     What has the U.N. done/accomplished? I mean besides documenting massacres and creating an armed force which is not allowed to engage in combat.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 20:18
Originally posted by pinguin

The U.S. simply can't replace the role the United States do. NATO and EU are just local organizations that have not the reach of a UN-

Sovereign nations are the causes of wars. They has to be controlled, particularly when low I.Q. people get in power.

With respect to corruption in the UN, what do you spect? Tell me one single developed country that doesn't have any corruption scandal at all.

Pinguin

I should clarify: I want the US to return to its own soil, and leave the rest of the world alone. Don't bother us (the USA), and we won't bother you. It should have always been this way, but hasn't been the path the US followed for at least 50 years. A return to isolation is needed.

Edited by Adalwolf - 22-Sep-2007 at 20:30
     Edward Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 20:26
In that case, what is needed is to empower the UN. I believe it should have a military power for itself, not only a peace-keeper force, but an striking force. If NATO works, why couldn't and international military force work?

But for doing so, it is necessary to build a society were the diverse oppinions are heared. Work together.

Just an example, in the past the U.S. intervined several times in Haiti, and always caused a strong reaction in the locals and world's public oppinion. Today it is the U.N. which is there and for at least the following ten years, many countries of the hemisphere and abroad colaborate with arm forces, and they have the support of the local government.

Just a thought.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 20:32
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

What has the U.N. done/accomplished? I mean besides documenting massacres and creating an armed force which is not allowed to engage in combat.

Many things. It is the real first universal organization in the planet. They have put the standards of humanity very high with theirs declarations: human rights, indigenous rights, etc.

They also coordinate lot of team works around the globe in things like education, agriculture, peacekeeping, culture, etc.

Yes, it is not a perfect organization at all, but at least works.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 20:53
In total agreement with Pinguin.

The UN can seem powerless and useless from time to time, but that is mainly because nations with a selfish agenda obstructs the attempts for a better world for all.
A better world in terms of Human Rights, pollution, peacekeeping, education, child protection, Third World Aid Programmes, Fugitives etc. etc. - the list is a mile long.
UN is much more than some troops and in issues of Global interest and humanity, they have done and do more than any other current organisation.
But as I said - Indeed sad to see even higly developed countries pushing their own selfish agenda at the cost of others.

~ Northman

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 21:31
I went with other because I have not yet made up my mind on this.  As an american there is certainly an appeal to what Adalwolf has said in regards to isolationism.  I think because we are so large and strong a nation, there is this opinion in all of us of who cares what europe and especially elsewhere like africa think or do it doesn't concern us.  With global warming and the extinction of species I think we need to work with other countries to curb our destruction of the environment, (especially this country) though the concern is getting entangled in every little conflict that has nothing to do with us.  Perhaps this is because of prior experience like Vietnam and current experience like Iraq.  My personal opinion is that there is also this feeling that if we loosen our protectionist policies other countries, especially india and the rest of asia, will start exploiting the environment and other areas to the degree we do and that is the last thing we would want to see.

Anyway, at the moment that is the state of mind for me on this issue.

Edited by Justinian - 22-Sep-2007 at 21:35
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 00:04

Many things. It is the real first universal organization in the planet. They have put the standards of humanity very high with theirs declarations: human rights, indigenous rights, etc.

They also coordinate lot of team works around the globe in things like education, agriculture, peacekeeping, culture, etc.

Yes, it is not a perfect organization at all, but at least works.

Being the first anything is not really an achievement. I'll admit the UN has managed to coordinate aid... semi-successfully. They're really not achieving any permanent solutions anywhere. Also, their job has nothing to do with culture. If they're altering nations' cultures then what they're really doing is known as cultural assimilation.

Peace-keeping is generally pretty unsuccessful too. I'll admit they have a few success stories, but the majority of the peace-keeping missions are undertaken by  a small number of countries, which would probably do so anyway.

As a global police force, the UN is completely ineffective. They are not efficient in decision making, they inspire little respect or fear, and they're completely corrupt. They act as a Western Capitalist propaganda tool and little else.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 06:07
I'm not sure that anyone who posted in this thread is aware what the UN is actually for. The UN isn't for peacekeeping, or education, or human rights declarations, it can do none of that and still be necessary. The UN isn't for global government or controlling rouge super powers.
The UN is a meeting place!
The UN is just the collective opinion of the governments of the world. It is a congregation of embassies, where governments can discuss their business with multiple other countries at the same time.

If the UN won't agree to something it is because the governments of the world won't agree to something. If the UN is opposing you its because the countries of the world oppose you. Its solders are provided by countries that choose to. It is not an entity in its own right. It is only a secretariat.

A country pulling out of the UN is like a person refusing to use a telephone.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 10:26
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Being the first anything is not really an achievement. I'll admit the UN has managed to coordinate aid... semi-successfully. They're really not achieving any permanent solutions anywhere. Also, their job has nothing to do with culture. If they're altering nations' cultures then what they're really doing is known as cultural assimilation.

They do what is at theirs hand to do.

Peace-keeping is generally pretty unsuccessful too. I'll admit they have a few success stories, but the majority of the peace-keeping missions are undertaken by  a small number of countries, which would probably do so anyway.

There is no alternative, except leaving those countries alone...

As a global police force, the UN is completely ineffective. They are not efficient in decision making, they inspire little respect or fear, and they're completely corrupt. They act as a Western Capitalist propaganda tool and little else.

Who doesn't respect the UN? I would point to just two countries: Israel and the United States. The first didn't respect the deal for the division of Palestine. The second invaded Iraq against the advice of the UN.

The UN just do what it has power to do. Not much so far because the powerful countries don't want that organism to interfere in theirs business.

With respect to corruption, would you say the UN is more corrupt that the governments of many superpowers? In other terms, even with its corruption the UN is doing something, while the rest do nothing.

Long life to the UN, it is our only hope for global justice and equality. Let's make it strong rather than to destroy it because our particular ambitions. Just imagine what the world would be without the UN. Perhaps it would have dissapeared already because the UN helped to stop the Third World War during the dark days of the Cold War.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 14:52

Originally posted by Adalwolf

Pinguin

I should clarify: I want the US to return to its own soil, and leave the rest of the world alone. Don't bother us (the USA), and we won't bother you. It should have always been this way, but hasn't been the path the US followed for at least 50 years. A return to isolation is needed.

But the US used to be self-sufficient in resources and markets. It isn't any more.

Otherwise line me up with Pinguin and Omar. And it should be pointed out that the UN is more than just the General Assembly and the Security Council, and it has more to do than peace-keeping. The International Labour Organisation, the World Health Organisation, UNESCO, UNICEF, the IAEA and the rest of the forty or so UN agencies all do invaluable work.

I do think there could be some improvements made to its organisation, and it seems to me that it should be possible to suspend (and deny benefits to) countries that are in flagrant violation of the Declaration on Human Rights.

Edited by gcle2003 - 23-Sep-2007 at 16:08
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 17:07

UN at the present reminds me  the League of the  Nations because is incapable of preventing aggression by the known superpower of the World.

Is the  poltical tail of the  US Foreign policy.

Edited by akritas - 23-Sep-2007 at 17:10
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 17:13
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The UN isn't for peacekeeping

So why have they wasted so many resources putting together armed forces and sending them to dozens of countries? I say wasted, because they are not allowed to engage in combat. Thats like giving money and resources to put someone through university, but then not allowing them to use their education for anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against the UN, it has the potential for good, I just think they do some pointless things.

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The UN is a meeting place!

The UN is not just a place, it has its own bureaucracy which even goes so far as telling some countries what they can and cannot do (not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it makes the UN more than just a place).

Originally posted by gcle2003

it seems to me that it should be possible to suspend (and deny benefits to) countries that are in flagrant violation of the Declaration on Human Rights.

I agree. The main obstacle is the politics that certain powers have in relation to the UN which keeps the UN from addressing certain violations while preaching about others.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 23-Sep-2007 at 17:18
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 18:16
I suppose we only see the UN at work when they make fruitcake descisions, and that happens to be quite often. All sorts of screwed up agendas pass through there without notice. I once went into the UN building and it was the first and only time I have ever seen gold plated toilets.
elenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 20:49

The UN is working. For people of the Western Hemisphere, for instance, we are more concerned about our problems rather than with the endless chains of problems of the old world. And our worst nighmare is Haiti: the poorest country in the hemisphere.

In there, troops of many countries of the region, with the mandate of the UN and the permission of the Haiti government, are helping to build that society once again from scratch. We think the effort is worth the try. Will it succeed? We hope so. We are wasting our taxes in that and we will keep it going.

Those are the things that the UN help to do. Not even the OAS can do it better than the UN in that matter.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 02:03
the UN is...useful. it collaborates with charities, peacekeeping, education programs, etc. the problem is, it doesn't do any of those things as effectively as it could-and in many cases, should. There are three options in regards to it.

1) Dissolve it, which would hurt more then help, burobbing nations of a framework through which to interact and robbing many people of help they desperately need-peacekeeping, economic assistance, etc.

2) Keep it, which is unacceptable since it is in certain situations, ineffective. if it's kept, it should be fixed. somehow.

3)strengthen it, which many are adamantly against. i can understand why-nations should have individual rights.
So,The only person i can speak for is myself when i say that I would rather have a international government than see millions of people die because "negotiations are still ongoing".
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 02:17
Anyone else notice the irony of the change in the U.S. position in regards to the U.N.?  In the days of Wilson, the U.S. was the main proponent of an organization like the U.N., now we are at the other end of the spectrum.  I don't know what lesson is to be learned from this if any, just found it ironic.

I would be willing to bet if the U.S. were to go back to its isolationist policies like others would like to see, then the U.S. would warm up to the U.N.  Afterall, if we were to renounce our self-appointed policeman of the world title then the natural thing to do would be to see the U.N. take our place in one way or another.  Afterall, that was the reason Wilson and others wanted an organization like the U.N. in the first place, so that we wouldn't have to become the police-man of the world, especially the old world.  We had the monroe doctrine and such, it wasn't any of our business what happened across the pond.

Edited by Justinian - 24-Sep-2007 at 02:29
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 05:38

Originally posted by akritas

UN at the present reminds me  the League of the  Nations because is incapable of preventing aggression by the known superpower of the World.

Is the  poltical tail of the  US Foreign policy.
There might have been a case for saying that a generation or so ago. There's no reason at all for saying it now that the US has lost the power to get UN decisions taken its way, as was so evident in 2003 over the Iraq issue.

Quite apart from the fact that the US no longer has the money to bribe or the power to coerce small nations[1] into following its lead, Russia and China (and of course France and Britain) can still veto any proposed UN action. (Just admittedly as the US can.)

[1] I'm not saying that the US was the only country to indulge in bribery and coercion, merely that it no longer can do it as effectively as it used to. Ironically perhaps, the Bush adminstration has (inadvertently) done a great deal to bring that about.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>