Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does America breed Molestation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does America breed Molestation?
    Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 21:53
Perhaps my thread here is a way to bring fair news to the world regarding sexual abuse towards all women. My other incentive in opening this provacative thread is due to the frustration felt by reading coverage on AE of women mainly in Islamic lands.

So here we go. Fair and impartial facts.

Has America lost its moral fiber?

"...America has created a world of lovelessness, alienation and victimization making it easy for molestation to occur."

The statistics are shocking
  • 1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18.
  • 1 in 6 boys is sexually abused before the age of 18.
  • 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
  • Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
  • An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.

http://www.darkness2light.org/KnowAbout/statistics_2.asp

Most perpetrators don't molest only one child if they are not reported and stopped.
  • Nearly 70% of child sex offenders have between 1 and 9 victims; at least 20% have 10 to 40 victims.
  • An average serial child molester may have as many as 400 victims in his lifetime.

Incidences of sexual assaults against children have risen when compared with previous decades, and children are increasingly kidnapped by family acquaintances (27%) and strangers (24%) instead of close relatives. Yet more than 90% of sex offenders are never sentenced, in part because their victims are people within their circles usually family members and these children are pressured with threat or shame not to press charges.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 01:02
I am curious about how these figures compare to the rest of the world. A lot of people in this day and age say that Western societies are going backwards, as crimes such as these are more apparent. I think that in recent decades there is more openess in reporting sexual molestation, and the ability of family members to stifle secrets such as these has declined because people today are less dependent on the family unit than they used to be. So I would like to see some hard evidence that sexual assault against children has risen recently, rather than the number of times it has been reported has risen (which may be an indication of greater willingness to speak out - a positive thing - rather than any actual rise in the rate of molestation).

Originally posted by article

"...America has created a world of lovelessness, alienation and victimization making it easy for molestation to occur."

Um, how? How exactly was this created? Are we to believe that everything in the past was previously rosy, where molestation never occured, and the rise of America has seen a corresponding rise in molestation? Does the US government in any way sanction molestation, or is molestation institutionalised in the US?

Originally posted by article

• 1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18.
  • 1 in 6 boys is sexually abused before the age of 18.
  • 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
  • Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
  • An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.

Ok, but how does America cause or sanction such a rate of molestation? And how does this compare to statistics from the rest of the world?

Most perpetrators don't molest only one child if they are not reported and stopped.
  • Nearly 70% of child sex offenders have between 1 and 9 victims; at least 20% have 10 to 40 victims.
  • An average serial child molester may have as many as 400 victims in his lifetime.

And that has to change. That's why I'm in favour of castration (I refer here to hormonal treatment, not removal of sexual organs) for offenders. I also think a government service should be established for people who have uncontrolable sexual urges like these which might result in molestation, so that they can undergo psychological treatment or hormonal castration if that proves necessary. What we have right now is simply not good enough, so bravo for pointing this out, let's bring in some reform to the system.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 05:28
That's why I'm in favour of castration (I refer here to hormonal treatment, not removal of sexual organs) for offenders. I also think a government service should be established for people who have uncontrolable sexual urges like these which might result in molestation, so that they can undergo psychological treatment or hormonal castration if that proves necessary.

There's a very fine line between doing what you suggest above, and doing the same for homosexuals. The line really only is what a society considers to be sexually immoral. I don't think this is a good precedent for any country to set.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 06:17
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

That's why I'm in favour of castration (I refer here to hormonal treatment, not removal of sexual organs) for offenders. I also think a government service should be established for people who have uncontrolable sexual urges like these which might result in molestation, so that they can undergo psychological treatment or hormonal castration if that proves necessary.

There's a very fine line between doing what you suggest above, and doing the same for homosexuals. The line really only is what a society considers to be sexually immoral. I don't think this is a good precedent for any country to set.

No, I don't think so. Homosexual relations occur between consenting adults, it is a legal act which parties voluntarily engage in for mutual satisfaction of a physiological need. Child molestation is a form of rape, there is a predator and a victim. So the difference is very profound. The two are not comparable.

The process of hormonal castration (again, this involves no removal of the genitals) can be discontinued, so the patient does not have any permanent changes to them. It is better than the alternative, which involves leaving vulnerable kids at risk or having sexual offenders suffer brutalisation in prison when other inmates discover what they were jailed for.

Edited by Constantine XI - 22-Sep-2007 at 06:33
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 06:55
I think lot of this molestation is possible because: Sally and Hubby are off to have a good time and have asked uncle Bob to look after their daughter Susan. This kind of thing happens more rarely in conservative and traditional countries. So a female child will end up as a responsibility of the aunt and almost never of a male. Couple this with more control over the child's activities and environment. Of course there are many other factors, too.

On the other hand in conservative/traditional societies once an incident has occurred, there is little reporting, due to the sense of dishonor and shame. That is not to say that no action might be taken, It is just so, that it may not be in accordance with the law or sanctioned by it.

In conclusion: The reason why there are lower incidents in traditional countries is because of the lack of opportunity presented, and not because they have a lower number of sexual fiends. Is that a good thing, i think so.

Edited by malizai_ - 22-Sep-2007 at 07:03
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 07:05
Originally posted by malizai

In conclusion: The reason why there are lower incidents in traditional countries is because of the lack of opportunity presented, and not because they have a lower number of sexual fiends. Is that a good thing, i think so.

Before you can conclude that, you actually need to show that in traditional/conservative societies the rate of molestation is truly lower than in other parts of the world. Otherwise you are providing reasons for something which hasn't been established as fact.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 07:16

^It is something that is observed, usually in the form of early segregation of sexes. The control and authority asserted by the elder members of extended families, where children are usually subject to their watchfull eye. You need two hands to clap.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 07:46
Having lived in both "traditional" and "premissive" societies I can safely say that the incidence is less in the former, however abuse also tends to be more prolonged and vicious. Just a personal observation.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 10:52
Though national data on child abuse is subjective due to the amount of processed reports collected or not the following are from more studies.

Australia

The most recent national figures from AIHW indicate that in Australia during 2002-2003 there were 198,355 reports of suspected cases of child abuse and neglect made to state authorities. This figure has risen significantly over the last five years from 91,734 reports in 1995-1996. These figures do not necessarily mean that the actual occurrence of child abuse and neglect has increased over this time, but they do show that the reporting of cases to child protection services has increased.

Figure%201.%20Total%20number%20of%20notifications%20and%20substantiations%20for%20child%20abuse%20and%20neglect%20in%20Australia,%201999-2003

Incidence of child abuse and neglect in the United States

Like Australia, the United States collects statistics about the number of reports made to state child protective services - that is, the incidence of child abuse nationwide.

Of the three million reports made to state child protection services in 2001, 28 per cent of reports were substantiated. Of these:

• 59 per cent had experienced neglect
  • 19 per cent had experienced physical abuse
  • 10 per cent had experienced sexual abuse
  • 7 per cent had experienced emotional abuse

In the United States in 2001, the number of children in substantiated cases of abuse was 12.4 per 1,000 children. This compares with rates in Australia which range from 0.9 per 1,000 in Tasmania up to 7.4 per 1,000 in Queensland.

In the US, roughly ten percent of substantiated claims are of sexual abuse towards children.http://www.aifs.gov.au/nch/pubs/sheets/rs1/rs1.html

Regarding Gay men in America.

Two conflicting reports.

The American Psychological Association has sponsored a work that asserts: "Recognized researchers in the field on child abuse,... almost unanimously concur that homosexual people are actually less likely to approach children sexually." (2)

as opposed to:

...evidence suggest that the 1%-to-3% of adults who practice homosexuality (3) account for between a fifth and a third of all child molestation.

About a third of the reports of molestation by the populace have involved homosexuality. Likewise, between a fifth and a third of those who have been caught and/or convicted practiced homosexuality. Finally, a fifth to a third of surveyed gays admitted to child molestation.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 11:29
Some interesting figures so we can compare two developed nations. The number of reported abuses is totally proportionate for both countries, Australia has 20 million people and 200,000 complaints were made, the USA has 300 million people and 3 million complaints were made.

The number of confirmed cases was a different matter - 20% for Australia and 28% for the US. Likewise, the number of children abused per 1,000 seems to be roughly half that in Australia compared to the US. So things are quantitatively worse in the USA. Possible explanations for this may include the greater US poverty rate, or higher rate of incarcerations in the US - possible motivators for the disenfranchised to engage in further criminal activity.

An important factor in the rise in complaints in Australia has been the government's campaign for both women and children who are abused to speak up. TV ad campaign "Australia says no to violence against women" have been running prominently here. While more TV ads for the "Kids Helpline" give minors a hotline number to call if they suffer abuse. These are Howard government initiatives which I think would have given people greater awareness of their options to report abuse, and so report numbers would have risen.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 13:11
Regarding Gay men in America.

Two conflicting reports.

The American Psychological Association has sponsored a work that asserts: "Recognized researchers in the field on child abuse,... almost unanimously concur that homosexual people are actually less likely to approach children sexually." (2)

as opposed to:

...evidence suggest that the 1%-to-3% of adults who practice homosexuality (3) account for between a fifth and a third of all child molestation.

About a third of the reports of molestation by the populace have involved homosexuality. Likewise, between a fifth and a third of those who have been caught and/or convicted practiced homosexuality. Finally, a fifth to a third of surveyed gays admitted to child molestation.

Now for this second section. It is times like this I am glad I am doing my honours year, as it has given me the patience to carefully look at the source of the data, and what sources they rely on to make their conclusions. Firstly, this website arrogates itself the name of "Family research institute" - a rather self-important mask for what is really a rabidly anti-homosexual conservative society who will draw on whatever source they can to paint gays as being on a par with Hitler.

Taking a look around their site, we come across such obviously impartial book lists like this: http://www.familyresearchinst.org/FRI_Bookstore.html

As we can see here, the article previously posted was simply one of a number of documents created by this organisation which has an obvious agenda to slander and discredit the gay community.

But let's examine some of their other takes on the state of the world, such as the right of gays to actually express their intimacy and love for one another:

Originally posted by FRI

On June 28, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) announced that the U.S. birth rate had dropped to its lowest level on record. On the same date, the U.S. Supreme Court declared laws against same-sex sexual activity unconstitutional in Lawrence v. Texas. Both events illustrate the continuing deathward march of American social policy. By a 6 to 3 vote wielding its dictatorial power the Supreme Court overturned centuries of Christian-inspired laws against homosexual activity. In large part, the courts decision stemmed from its contempt for, and desire to, diminish society. .

So there we have it, homosexuality is resulting in a "deathmarch".  An impartial Supreme  Court is "dictatorial" when it  supports the rights of gays to basically engage in having relations with one another. And anything supporting basic rights of gay individuals is showing contempt for "society".

The article itself frequently makes claims which it cannot back up. Take this one for example:

In the U.S. and Canada, the North American Man-Boy Love Association marches proudly in many gay pride parades with the stated goal of removing the barriers to man-boy sex. Note the phrases "oppression towards pedophilia" and "liberation of pedophilia." It is clear that those who advocate the legalization of sex between adults and children intend to argue that such conduct is a "civil right," deserving of the same legal protections afforded to other minorities. A large proportion of Americans regard that argument as a mere pretext to giving "sexual predators" free reign to take advantage of vulnerable children.

So in other words NAMBLA represents the gay community, therefore all gays support sexual intercourse with minors? Clearly this is unfounded, the article gives no reference to where it gets this information. I can say for certain that if an organisation like that tried to march in a gay pride parade, they would be attacked by the gay community. NAMBLA does not represent the gay community, nor does it enjoy the support of the gay community.

Next, the article smugly concludes:

If 2% of the population is responsible for 20% to 40% of something as socially and personally troubling as child molestation, something must be desperately wrong with that 2%. Not every homosexual is a child molester. But enough gays do molest children so that the risk of a homosexual molesting a child is 10 to 20 times greater than that of a heterosexual.

What the narrow minded authors of this study fail to take into account is that sexuality is not something you can slot into nice, even, black and white categories. It exists on a continuum, where people may have varying levels of desire for members of one or both genders over the course of a lifetime. Having looked over the dubious sources in their reference list (which includes local newspapers, goes to show you they don't let scholarly concerns get in the way of pushing their agenda), I will refer to another source - the Kinsey reports. These reports found that 37% of males had had sex with another male after adolescence to the point of achieving orgasm, and this in a time when homosexual behaviour was often much more severely punished than today. Though Kinsey's findings were disputed for convenience sampling, later studies revealed his data gathering methods soundly produced results which applied to the population as a whole. So in other words, at least 37% of males show a voluntary capacity to have sex with other males - and this figure is probably much higher today when restrictions on homosexual activity have been relaxed.

So this corresponds to the 40% figure FRI gives for homosexual molestation rates. It measures up, doesn't it? Well the figure of 40% was taken from just one study, and upon looking at the article we can see it is not representative of the population in general - it focuses on molestation in just one area: teaching. Rather than having a solid figure of 40% like they claim, we are instead given a few case studies which don't tell us what the overall rate of homosexual molestation against children is. Given the obvious agenda of the authors, and the fact that these high figures are derived from a few very isolated studies, it is entirely reasonable to assume that the rate of homosexual predation is substantially lower than 40%, which would indeed be lower than expected figures for the numbers of males who will engage in voluntary adult homosexual activity in their lifetime.

Their entire article fails to produce reliable figures on what rate of sexual assault against minors is committed by homosexuals when looking at child molestation rates overall. Instead, they confine themselves to examining a few select cases in which the homosexual nature of the assault was especially high. But if you examine their sources, you can see how flawed they are.

In The Gay Report, 23% of the gays and 6% of the lesbians admitted to sexual interaction with youth less than 16 years of age.

Sounds pretty daming hey? But if you think about it, the average age for first sexual intercourse for most people in the developed world is 16. So the odds of someone who is gay having had sex with a minor while they themself were a minor is pretty high, and a large number of heterosexuals can be expected to have also had sexual intercourse with someone below 16 years of age while they were themself a similar age.

Let's take another figure cited by this article:

Of 400 consecutive Australian (25) cases of molestation, 7 boys and 4 girls were assaulted by male teachers. Thus 64% of those assaults were homosexual.

Here they are getting desperate. They don't have any figures covering large numbers of cases. So what do they do? They look at one article which only examines 11 case studies of children who were repeatedly assaulted (i.e. the child was examined because they were assaulted many times, they do not actually represent a quantitatively correct sample of a wider population). The authors from FRI then smugly conclude that 68% of assaults are homosexual in nature. They give us a statistic which represents no population but makes gays look predatory.

These are just a few of the errors I have picked out from what is a baised, agenda-laden article, formulated by a group whose central purpose is to suppress the most basic rights of homosexual individuals. The shoddy workmanship of this article is symptomatic of a desperate attempt by the authors from FRI to veil their hate campaign in some sort of scholarly garb. This is a totally unrealiable source for investigating the issue, as can be obviously seen if you take a look around their website with its evident bias and agenda. It tries to dispute the findings of the most respected scholarly journal of psychology in the USA, and perhaps the world, and it does so with dubious data whose sampling fails to represent the population that the authors claim it represents.

Edited by Constantine XI - 22-Sep-2007 at 13:23
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 19:40
Child abusse has been a constant in human history, as well as coverage of it.

Back to the point, I would say the following about Americans:

(1) American porn industry and bad undestood liberalism is fuelling sexual desired that end in the mind of sick people: the abussers. They start by seing soft porn and end commiting those acts against innocent children.
In that sense, yes. American (and European) excess of liberalism and promotion of sex as sport, is contributing to increase indirectly child abusses.

(2) On the other hands, Americans have been the first people to methodically persecute child abussers. The fact that even people with power can be sent to jail because child abusse is something new and very possitive. I admire the courage of Americans to put into jail including educators, priests and political figures.

Yes, something has to be done. Let's start to control a little bit psycopatic artists of all kind that exploit sex for money and that perturbate mentally ill people. And let be togher with abussers!

Pinguin

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 20:05
Originally posted by malizai_

^It is something that is observed, usually in the form of early segregation of sexes. The control and authority asserted by the elder members of extended families, where children are usually subject to their watchfull eye. You need two hands to clap.

Sorry i don't quite follow you. Could you please rephrase how it has been shown that molestation of children is lower in traditional communities as opposed to elsewhere.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 09:40
Back to the link provided on homosexuality and molestation. I spent hours painstakingly investigating the sources used by author Paul Cameron and making the post I did last night, subjecting them to proper academic rigour - a test which they clearly fail.

I also went searching for articles from other authors which corroborate what Cameron claims. Being an honours student, I have access to the university database. And I noticed that no other authors have produced a work which corroborates it, except one, Paul Cameron himself - surprise surprise! Infact, Cameron even quotes himself as a source in the linked article given earlier, which he wrote.

So let's find out a bit more about this person who seems to be so sure that homosexuality is the root of all evil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Cameron

A quick read of the article reveals that Cameron was expelled from the American Pschygological Association (and if you look at his article, he starts off by quoting them and then trying to disprove their claims of lower rates of homosexual predation, the guy has a chip on his shoulder.)

Originally posted by wiki

The American Psychological Association (APA) expelled Cameron on December 2, 1983 for allegedly refusing to cooperate with their investigation of a complaint filed by psychologists at the University of Nebraska, which is a violation of the Preamble of the Ethical Principles of Psychologists.[14] FRI has responded that he had already resigned, and did so without protest from the organization,[15] citing letters he sent to the APA resigning his membership as well as the APA president's letter accepting his resignation, which were both sent before his formal expulsion.[16][17] The APA does not allow a member to resign while they are being investigated, which conflicts with Cameron's story.[18] In a letter published in the March 1983 edition of the APA Monitor, Cameron stated that his reasons for leaving included his opinion that the organization was becoming more of a "liberal PAC" than a professional society.[19]

Unethical research leading to expulsion from the prestigious academic society of which he was a member. But the buck doesn't stop there.

Cameron has also been criticised for placing responsibility for same-sex child sexual abuse on "homosexuals"; opponents state that someone who carries out such abuse need not have a homosexual orientation with respect to other adults. [26][27] Dr. Gregory M. Herek, Ph.D. charges that Cameron misrepresented the literature he had reviewed and cited to support his claims, such as a Groth and Birnbaum (1978) study in which none of the participants actually identified as homosexuals, and none of those who were bisexual claimed to prefer men over women. Furthermore, while Cameron assumed all the same-sex molestations were perpetrated by homosexuals, he did not assume all the opposite-sex molestations were perpetrated by heterosexuals; he included a "bisexual correction" only for opposite-sex molestations that effectively increased the number of perpetrators described as "homosexual" without changing the number described as "heterosexual".[28]

Dr. Herek has published a methodological critique of the Cameron group's studies in which he identifies at least six errors in sampling technique and data analysis. According to Dr. Herek, "an empirical study manifesting even one of these six weaknesses would be considered seriously flawed. In combination, the multiple methodological problems evident in the Cameron group's surveys mean that their results cannot even be considered a valid description of the specific group of individuals who returned the survey questionnaire.".[29]

So not only is the author expelled due to unethical practice, he also makes use of faulty methodology for trying to prove his agenda.

And look here, I even found a professional academic organisation which support my critique of Cameron's sloppy misrepresentation of past research to suit his own agenda.

In 1986 the American Sociological Association, following a report from its Committee on the Status of Homosexuals in Sociology,[20] passed a resolution condemning Dr. Cameron for "consistent misrepresentation of sociological research".[21] In 1996, the Board of Directors of the Canadian Psychological Association approved a position statement disassociating the organisation from Cameron's work on sexuality, stating that he had "consistently misinterpreted and misrepresented research on sexuality, homosexuality, and lesbianism".[22]

So let's see, unethical practice leading to expulsion, faulty methodology, blatant misrepresentation of past research ... One has to wonder how the man gets his work published at all. Well the truth is, no respectable academic institution considers it good enough to publish. So what does Cameron do?

Many of Cameron's papers have been published in the journal Psychological Reports; unlike many journals, this charges authors a publication fee and does not necessarily reject an article on the basis of a negative peer review.[3]

There you go, pay enough money and it doesn't matter how bad it is, some quack organisation which gives itself an academic sounding name will publish it.

In this day and age a lot of people with see the title "PhD"and see an article with lots of important looking footnotes and gullibly drink in whatever it is which is infront of them. We can all learn a lesson from bigoted charlatans like this, and do proper research compiled by accredited researchers before leaping to major conclusions. It might take a bit of time and careful thinking to sort the BS from the realiable material, but had I not done so here many of you might have gone away from this thread thinking that homosexuality results in child molestation. Through exhaustive analysis, that conclusion has been exposed for the lie which it is.

Edited by Constantine XI - 23-Sep-2007 at 09:43
Mayra View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mayra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 01:21
As a woman who can compare living in other countries I can say that I think the u.s. has a very sick society that fosters disequilibrated perverts. I do not feel unsafe walking at night in brasil, maybe scared to be robbed, but not becUSE just of my sex. I never feel unsafe in brasil becuase of my sex. Yes, rapes and molestations happen to be sure but they are dealt with differently and the society is different. NUmber one we have community and a strong sense of what is right as far as family. Family is number one, you do not abandon your children for drugs, you do not abandon your parents to an old people home simply because they are making poop in the pants or are too much a bother to take care of. You do what is right, so, if someone is molested and others find out about it there is a good chance it will be taken care of meaning that there will be a mob violence that will beat you senseless before you get to the police, (where they will beat you again) and if you are lucky you will be alive to make it to the police. It is the police who will save your ass from the mob. But then of course in jail you will be very popular forever...so...which is worse? ANyway, I really think it is the culture, the media, what is accepted by peoples, allowed, and for me at least  this society (u.s.) is very strange as far as sexuality. Everyone seems to think brasil is so hot, the women etc..like everyone is a whore...yes, there are prostitutes and child sex, ( for the german tourists and other foreigners) but women are not viewed in an attitude of menace sexually. It is hard to explain the society. A 50 year old devout christian woman can wear a see through blouse to work with a pretty bra under and noone blinks an eye, it is normal, but here oh my god..it becomes something filthy, somwthing strange... Sex here in the u.s. is very scary. The film,s are full of violence and violence escpecially against women. We don't have that ands never will. It is not in the brasilian soul, but seems to be in the u.s. I think this isi va veyr important thing to look at. It seems free here sexually, but the people are very hung up about it, and it is not a thinkg of beauty of romance, it is vulgar and hard, like a fight between man and woman, weird. People growing up in this environment see all these images of sick violence, some of the things I see on the television are unbeleivable sick...just t.v. I cannot imagine otherwise how bad. I just think the u.s. is going down the toilt, no community, no sense of family, home, people are alienated and this society gives nothing for feeling of fulfillment so you get people who feel powerless, they want to hurt and control others...a scary place here. I never was scared to walk here or there in brasil thinking I might get grabbed but here I look all the time going to and from the car etc., many people are sick here and very unhappy. That is my opinion...u.s.  fosters and gives fertile ground for perverts by its culture norms and media.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
" I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive". Albert Einstein
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 02:18

No, I don't think so. Homosexual relations occur between consenting adults, it is a legal act which parties voluntarily engage in for mutual satisfaction of a physiological need. Child molestation is a form of rape, there is a predator and a victim. So the difference is very profound. The two are not comparable.

Um.....except there is no solid definition of what constitutes child molestation. For instance in Canada I could have sex with a fourteen year old and it wouldn't be rape, but if i did so here by law rape is involved.

Also it takes into consideration the thought that the older member of the relationship has to be the aggressor. All one has to do is look at American culture and see the clothing, the technology and the attitude that girls as young as 12 or 13 have. (I mean just watch a Jerry Springer, Montel or Sally Jesse Raphael show.) Couldn't these girls not impress themselves on an older man. The response to this is that the older man should be mature enough to refuse all advances and consider them inappropriate. However say a 13 year old comes onto a 19 year old, the nineteen year old might not be mature enough to consider the consequences of his actions, in fact since our brains aren't fully developed until the mid-twenties we can't really trust our judgement till we're thirty or so.

Also there is a terrible double standard, where a girl-man pairing is viewed as the most terrible act that a human being can engage in. But a boy-woman pairing is seen as something that won't affect the boy at all, and the only reason the woman is punished is to "keep up appearances" of the law.

So two eighteen year old men who consider themselves consensual and a fourteen year old girl and an eighteen year old man who consider themselves consensual are not comparable?

Or to clarify the issue are children considered 12 and under? 16 and under? or 18 and under? Because it makes a difference.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 02:41
Originally posted by Mayra

As a woman who can compare living in other countries I can say that I think the u.s. has a very sick society that fosters disequilibrated perverts. I do not feel unsafe walking at night in brasil, maybe scared to be robbed, but not becUSE just of my sex. I never feel unsafe in brasil becuase of my sex. Yes, rapes and molestations happen to be sure but they are dealt with differently and the society is different. NUmber one we have community and a strong sense of what is right as far as family. Family is number one, you do not abandon your children for drugs, you do not abandon your parents to an old people home simply because they are making poop in the pants or are too much a bother to take care of. You do what is right, so, if someone is molested and others find out about it there is a good chance it will be taken care of meaning that there will be a mob violence that will beat you senseless before you get to the police, (where they will beat you again) and if you are lucky you will be alive to make it to the police. It is the police who will save your ass from the mob. But then of course in jail you will be very popular forever...so...which is worse? ANyway, I really think it is the culture, the media, what is accepted by peoples, allowed, and for me at least  this society (u.s.) is very strange as far as sexuality. Everyone seems to think brasil is so hot, the women etc..like everyone is a whore...yes, there are prostitutes and child sex, ( for the german tourists and other foreigners) but women are not viewed in an attitude of menace sexually. It is hard to explain the society. A 50 year old devout christian woman can wear a see through blouse to work with a pretty bra under and noone blinks an eye, it is normal, but here oh my god..it becomes something filthy, somwthing strange... Sex here in the u.s. is very scary. The film,s are full of violence and violence escpecially against women. We don't have that ands never will. It is not in the brasilian soul, but seems to be in the u.s. I think this isi va veyr important thing to look at. It seems free here sexually, but the people are very hung up about it, and it is not a thinkg of beauty of romance, it is vulgar and hard, like a fight between man and woman, weird. People growing up in this environment see all these images of sick violence, some of the things I see on the television are unbeleivable sick...just t.v. I cannot imagine otherwise how bad. I just think the u.s. is going down the toilt, no community, no sense of family, home, people are alienated and this society gives nothing for feeling of fulfillment so you get people who feel powerless, they want to hurt and control others...a scary place here. I never was scared to walk here or there in brasil thinking I might get grabbed but here I look all the time going to and from the car etc., many people are sick here and very unhappy. That is my opinion...u.s.  fosters and gives fertile ground for perverts by its culture norms and media.

An insightful comment.  Hard to argue with a lot of what you have to say.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 02:50
Originally posted by JanusRook

Um.....except there is no solid definition of what constitutes child molestation. For instance in Canada I could have sex with a fourteen year old and it wouldn't be rape, but if i did so here by law rape is involved.

Also it takes into consideration the thought that the older member of the relationship has to be the aggressor. All one has to do is look at American culture and see the clothing, the technology and the attitude that girls as young as 12 or 13 have. (I mean just watch a Jerry Springer, Montel or Sally Jesse Raphael show.) Couldn't these girls not impress themselves on an older man. The response to this is that the older man should be mature enough to refuse all advances and consider them inappropriate. However say a 13 year old comes onto a 19 year old, the nineteen year old might not be mature enough to consider the consequences of his actions, in fact since our brains aren't fully developed until the mid-twenties we can't really trust our judgement till we're thirty or so.

Also there is a terrible double standard, where a girl-man pairing is viewed as the most terrible act that a human being can engage in. But a boy-woman pairing is seen as something that won't affect the boy at all, and the only reason the woman is punished is to "keep up appearances" of the law.

So two eighteen year old men who consider themselves consensual and a fourteen year old girl and an eighteen year old man who consider themselves consensual are not comparable?

Or to clarify the issue are children considered 12 and under? 16 and under? or 18 and under? Because it makes a difference.

This is a very good question, and it does have an answer. The answer is more in the field of law rather than philosophy. Wikipedia (hate to resort to it, but it is useful)  gives good information on this concern:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_consent

I reject the idea that those under their mid 20s can't take responsibility for their actions. If that were the case, people of that age shouldn't be allowed to drive, have credit cards, or move out of home (they are just not developed enough, afterall). If approached by a minor for sex, refusal is legally the acceptable thing to do.

I agree with the example of the double standard you posted, underage boys should be protected from advances of that type. This is especially the case for people who hold a position of especially privileged trust with the minor, such as a teacher, doctor, priest etc. And the law usually makes special provisions if this sort of scenario occurs. In the US it may be different, but women teachers in Australia found guilty of doing that endure public humiliation and lose their jobs.

Regarding your example of the two 18 year old men compared to the 14 year old girl and 18 year old man, I think the two are quite distinct and different scenarios. In the Western world, society considers a minor to be someone in need of protection and guidance, but the minor in return is restricted in their autonomy and decision making. This is done because the loss of autonomy is usually more than compensated for by the guidance of more mature guardians (e.g. parents, relatives). As minors age, they are usually given progressively greater autonomy and decision making, but are likewise expected to take responsibility for their actions and contribute to society.

This is a continuum of responsibility and maturity. Our society deems that by 18 years of age, a person can be expected to decide for themself where they want to go with sex, because their level of maturity is at a sufficient level to make informed consent. This means they are not only wise enough to decide about sexual issues, but also that they have matured to an extent that they are much less susceptible to being taken advantage of by someone with predatory intentions. This is not a perfect system. Some individuals mature faster than others, some remain perpetually sexually vulnerable and impressionable til the day they die. However, this is how the laws created by society try to balance resisting sexual predation and also allowing those with sufficient maturity the freedom to enjoy consensual sex. The occurrance of manipulation and predation taking place between a 14 and 18 year old can be expected to be much higher than between two 18 year olds.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2007 at 23:14

However, this is how the laws created by society try to balance resisting sexual predation and also allowing those with sufficient maturity the freedom to enjoy consensual sex

I would agree with you except under most laws two 15 year olds can have sex with each other and no repercussions can be taken. Are those 15 year olds sufficiently mature? How about a 17 year old the day before their birthday and a girl who just turned 16? Does he gain that much more maturity the next day?

By the way (I know this is hijacking the point of the thread but...) I feel that the philosophy behind age of consent is more important than the laws created. And that age of consent should be up to the individuals participating whether than society as a whole.

Back on topic, how about this scenario a 15 year old boy molests his 11 year old cousin. Now under your definition the 15 year old isn't mature enough to make decisions based on sex so how should that situation be treated? Is he to be punished or is he not guilty by reason of immaturity? If he's to be punished than he obviously knew enough to do the act, so therefore 15 year olds can make informed decisions on sex (just not good ones).

Also if child molestation is defined as anyone under 18 I'd say a lot of high school girls that make poor decisions fall under that umbrella, for example.*

*And no I'm not using the idiotic "Well she shouldn't have been there in the first place" excuse that people throw on rape victims all the time. But at the same time I mean come on, parents need to be more responsible.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Mayra View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mayra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2007 at 00:44
"excuse that people throw on rape victims all the time. But at the same time I mean come on, parents need to be more responsible."

Hi, I couldn't figure how to make the "quotes" thingy from post aboe.
I totally agree, it is parents that need to make proper exzample and lay down rules and instill inside the children a feeling of true self worth that comes from communication and effort. I think it is vewry difficult in this society to raise a child,
someone mentioned Jerry Springer show things like this and actually my husband and I watched the shows COPS and those kinds of shows when we first got here to  see what is happening in this country. Serioulsy, it is the quickest way to see what is at work in a society. Number one is broken homes,  young boys making babies like it is a game and not being there for them,homes with no father figure, homes where abuse already take place, of drugs, sex, emotional, poverty.  But also, I see a tremendous pressure on girls here to act like whores, it is the latest cool thing it seems and if they do not know how to dance on a pole they are not popular or something, dress provocatively but more important it is if they are going to act on this provocativeness.This is where self respect comes in, it  is one thing to be in a country where sexuality in dance and dress is fun and normal, controlled, like brasil, but just because the woman or girl dances like this doesn not mean they are whorish, not at all. THis is what people don't understand, samba or pagode is not about uncontrolled sexual desire. It is highly ritualized in dance culture and song, hard to explain...but deosn't lead to sex or mean the girl is looking or asking, not at all and then here in the u.s. if a girl is lap danicng you had better beleive she is lap dancing for real and something is going on. And a young girl is not in control of her sexuality, it is just there, an unknown, and unfortuantely without someone telling them how precious it is, and the importance of protecting themselvesi, they are easy prey to any kind of arguments or pressure. Trust me, girls are not so big and growen up, if given the chance to just be girls. If they are coming on to someone it is not out of a need for sexual fulfilment, guaranteed. They are looking for any other thing, approval, favor, possibly survival, popularity, acceptance, a feeling of belonging with something or someone...but unfortunately sex will never bring those things to them. Once again, as the poster above stated, the PARENTS must become involved and themselves be good people with no problems. But what you see are so many people who are emotionally and psychologically challenged here...I swear it is this culture here, seriously. I have more fun for free in one week in brasil than years at a time here. I go back every year and there is no end to what you can do for free for entertainement there, to relax. Here, you must pay for everything, you have to be almost rich to just go out and have a movie and popcorn a few times a year, even to have health insurance, pay for gas in the car. The screws are screwed down way too tight in this country. Greed has a hand in every part and everypone is looking out for themselve. A big mess. 
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
" I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive". Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>